1600 S. 11th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chiarellasristorante.com/
- Phone: 2153346404
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, View
- Special Events: Baby Showers,Rehearsel Dinners,Birthday Parties, and any type of catering you may need, we will be happy to assit with! Choose Chiarella's to make your special event a day you will not forget!
A word from Chiarella's Ristorante
With over 35 years in the restaurant business, Dina Chiarella DeFino and Thomas DeFino have brought the taste of the "original" Chiarella's to South Philadelphia. Come enjoy dishes from the original menu started in Wildwood,NJ by Jimmy Chiarella in 1970,along with our new menu prepared with a new age flair. Bring your favorite bottle of wine, sit in front of the fountain, and enjoy your dinner! Thomas Defino boasts about 30 years of restaurant experience covering every facet of the industry. He assisted in making the Chiarellas dining experience an unparraled one in the Jersey Shore area. He also brings a knowledge of Philadelphians and what they love to Chiarellas. His winning smile and pleasant demeanor should be reason enough to enjoy a trip to Chiarellas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chiarella's Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (11)special occasion (10)romantic (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OutstandingHiyielderVIPDined on 10/19/2014Food and service were at the highest levels;. Owner was present and it was reassuring to have him check on things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chiarella's IS South PhillyDMickCVIPDined on 10/8/2014Went there on a slower night midweek with my family of 6. We were visiting from New York to visit our daughter who relocated to South Philly. Wanted a classic South Philly Italian BYOB restauarant and Chiarell's lived up to all the positive OT reviews. From the first steps inside until we left we felt like we were eating dinner with our Italian cousins we didn't even know we had! You can tell the owners Tom and Dina are passionate about food and about service. Mark the server was great. The fact that we could bring our own wine was awesome and added to the experience. We had six different entrees and everyone loved them all. The lasagna was massive, the night's specials were equally good. Six thumbs up from us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A genuine South Philly experienceFoodWallahDined on 10/6/2014I ate there by myself on a slow (Monday) night after flying in from California. I took the recommendation of the manager, John, and really enjoyed the veal scallopini with shrimp and mushrooms in a light tomato sauce. The cheesecake was also excellent. I grew up in the neighborhood and enjoy the "authenticity" of these little neighborhood restaurants when I return to visit. John and I had a nice chat.Special Features:
- love this placeJoeKDined on 10/4/2014This was my first visit and I will surely be back. Food was exceptional with large portions and service was phenomenal.Special Features:
- Great ItalianmoishVIPDined on 9/27/2014Surprised at how good it was, we were 6 persons and all really enjoyed it, the food and service were wonderful, a little bit too noisy, they need some noise dampening wall and ceiling covers, cant wait to return.
- Our first visit, not our lastDelcoDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014We tried Chiarella's and were pleasantly surprised. The food was superb and the service attentive. My wife and her mother both said that the eggplant was the best they had ever eaten. Some minor glitches, the menu isn't clear, so I didn't know that my flounder, which was excellent, did not come with pasta or vegetables. And the pasta that did accompany some dishes, only came out when we reminded our waiter. But the food was superb, and we look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian1psuVIPDined on 9/6/2014A place that serves "homemade" Italian food. the spaghetti was very good (al dente) and the gravy was almost as good as my mother's. here you'll get REAL Italian food.Special Features:
- Had a good experience.grumpydumplingDined on 9/5/2014I came here with a group of 8. The service and food was ok. The food wasn't anything to die for. My dish the rigatoni bolognes was good. As for the service, I guess they were busy, it could of been better. We sat down for awhile and wasn't greeted till much later after I asked one of the ladies if she was our server. At the end, we had some confusion with the bill, because it was written out by hand and our server forgot to add the tax. But overall, it was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliverssouthphillygirlVIPDined on 9/5/2014Love the food and the service. A Friday night regular. Great Italian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Friendly waitress, friendly owner, excellent food especially the Veal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sphillysamVIPDined on 8/18/2014Excellent Food and Service One of the best veal dishes I ever had. My wife thought her chicken picatta was outstandingSpecial Features:
- Not going backMbssDined on 8/4/2014Slow service, maybe a bad day, waiter not the best to put it mildly, was a painful meal (although the food was really good). Speed up the service, improve the waiters, and you might have a very nice thing
- Excellent/authenticLIVE2EATDined on 7/31/2014The food was amazing and unique. The service was excellent and the owner is there helping with service. Great atmosphere, very friendly. It's a diamond in the rough. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood eatery.SeashoreDiamondsVIPDined on 7/20/2014Food, was terrific. Service was very good. Street parking can be a problem in this area which has a vibrant restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timespatrnDined on 7/19/2014We took my husband there for his birthday after reading other reviews about it. It was everything and more! Excellent food, affordable prices and a warm cozy atmosphere. Tommy and mark made us feel right at home! Everyone's d inner was delicious.,from the soups and salads to the entrees. I would definitely recommend chiarellas to any one looking for the real deal ltalian. Thanks to all for a wonderful evening!! We will be frequent fliers for sure👏👏👏Special Features:
- Chiarella'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Eating at Chiarella's was a very pleasant experience. The food was very good and the service was also good. The setting is nice and the overall experience was a memorable one.Special Features:
- Delish!jan48Dined on 7/9/2014We had a delicious meal there a few nights ago. The calamari came out hot, was very crispy and tasty. I had the linguine with sauteed shrimp. The lemoncreme sauce on this dish was out of this world! Two others had one of the specials, flounder and shrimp francaise that they both enjoyed very much. My nephew had the rigatoni bolognese - he cleaned the plate and it was a large portion! Finished up with tiramisu. A great meal; can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- The following 98 reviews are from the Chiarella's Ristorante reviews archive.
- Treated like part of the familyDannyBDined on 6/26/2014We loved this Chairella's. The food was excellent.. service was great as well. Tom makes you feel at home... like your a regular the first time there. Everyone enjoyed their meals. We have already started recommending Chiarella's to our friends and family. We look forward to going back. Very reasonable pricing.Special Features:
- RelaxingMahopac1Dined on 6/20/2014Fine ambience good tasty food and excellent concerned serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatriceDined on 6/15/2014I love Chiarella's! When I was little, I used to visit all of my relatives in South Philadelphia. The nicest time to visit was Christmas Eve. This restaurant is the total nostalgic experience. The main windows overlook the neighborhood and at Christmastime, it is spectacular! It isn't "fancy" but it is truly an authentic South Philly experience. The food is delicious. The service is unmatched. Tomasino is such a sweetheart. He even allowed my family to be seated before they were officially opened during our first visit. It is a truly down home experience. I took my Dad there for Father's Day and he said he would never forget it! (Guiseppi...85 years old...of course he loved it...he grew up around the block from there!)Special Features:
- Very, very impressedRobLinDined on 6/14/2014Found this restaurant online and made a last minute reservation through Open Table. The food was excellent - authentic Italian with quite a few specials to chose from. We were way too full for dessert, but the soup, salad and entree's were outstanding. A very nice, friendly staff that was attentive and treated us like family. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2014Great experience and Ryne Sandberg was there the same night my family was there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ItalyCATaylorDined on 6/12/2014True Italian Food. Once you have eaten here, it will be hard to eat Italian food anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SueSamalinDined on 6/7/2014I just returned from Italy so I was in the comparing mood. I had the special, "Orecchiette". Excellent!! I also ordered a desert, took a picture of it and it was in the same form and just about the same taste as the desert I ordered in Italy. So Yummy. Service was great even though they were busy and running around doing everything, their attitude and service remained great. Couldn't ask for a better Italian Restaurant. Even the music was just the right volume. Heard it but not over powered so we could hear each other.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerdorphilVIPDined on 5/26/2014we often go to Chiarella for straight forward Italian food. They use good quality ingredients. Consistent quality. The servers are friendly and accommodating to the clients. Try the veal dishes they are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little glitch didn't ruin a thingJeepGirlDined on 5/19/2014We chose Chiarella's for a special dinner before a concert in the city. I of course scoped out all the coupon sites and found them on restaurant.com, purchased a deal and off we went. When we sat down, we were informed they no longer accepted restaurant.com deals(not the first time I've encountered this, and I do not blame the restaurant!) We weren't going to let that ruin our evening so we ordered and kept going! The food was fresh and delicious, the staff was friendly....just like family. Their "gravy" is perfecto! Great little spot in the city, we will definitely be going back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- try itbobalfiDined on 5/19/2014was in town for a concert,looking for an italian reataurant in south philly. found this online, had reservations for 430,as they opened. seemed a little caught off guard by us coming in, but it went well afterwards. wife had a portabello mushroom appetizer in a sauce that was delicious. meals were good, quickly served. they didn't have a liquor license, so wine was on the house from Tom,i assume the owner. and they had Sinatra music playing, a perfect touch. nice crowd for that hour on a monday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beginningsMarkDined on 5/17/2014The dinner menu had many great offerings and none of them disappointed us. The food was great, the service was friendly and the staff did not rush our group. The price was a very good value for the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made mom happysuburbandinerDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day 2014. Even though they were very busy we were seated after only a 5 minute wait. We were early for our reservations. The staff promptly came up to our table. The menu is a nice size. Everybody in your group should find something to eat. The specials for the day were extensive. We ordered the Veal Gia ( veal & shrimp ), pesto pasta, stuffed pork loin. All came to the table hot. The veal dish had a side of pasta. The pork came with mashed potatoes. The sauce from the veal Gia would make it great to be served directly over the pasta instead of a side. The pork was stuffed with rabe and cheese (very smooth and complimented the pork very well). Even though they were very busy we were not rushed.Special Features:
- The BestonlythebestDined on 5/3/2014This was truly one of the best meals I've eaten in a long time in Philly.Vetri,Modo Mio and the saloon don't compare.This was excellent food ,great portions and outstanding service.The veal dishes were amazing as well as the pasta dishes and salmon and pasta.We went for my daughters birthday and it was truly a night to remember.Special Features:
- Noisy but food was goodBerSherDined on 5/3/2014We had dinner here when we were in Philly a couple of weekends ago. The food was average and it was so loud we couldn't even carry on a conversation. Next time, we would ask to be seated in the front room of the restaurant. The waiter was very nice. We didn't know you had to bring your own wine. He rounded up two glasses for us and didn't even charge us. Very nice! We would try the restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another amazing mealHockeymomDined on 4/28/2014Chiarella's never disappoints. The food is absolutely incredible every time!! Everything is fresh and authentic - including the owner who is very visible on the floor and makes the experience even more enjoyable. If you want a real So. Philly experience, I would definitely recommend Chiarella's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Food was delicious. Nice night out with Friends. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A KeeperKateDined on 4/20/2014Food was delicious - service was super - South Philly hospitality - party of 8 - everyone left happy :)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/20/2014celebrated Easter with the family and they made us feel like we were home and mom was doing the cookingSpecial Features:
- The eggplant parm is out ofStephotoDined on 3/29/2014The eggplant parm is out of this world and the salmon melts in your mouth like butter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishGlensidefoodieDined on 3/8/2014We read mixed reviews, but this did not disappoint for great Gravy! Carbs before 20 mile run at a BYOB! Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- prepared with lovehappy2BhereDined on 3/1/2014I'd only eaten at Chiarella's once before, and was so happy to have a chance to visit again. I live in San Francisco, come to Philly now and then, and having a meal at Chiarella's is one of the highlights of my visit. The food is always amazing, fresh and delicious, made with love - you can really taste that. I felt nourished on so many levels. I'll come here as often as I can, there's nothing like it!Special Features:
- One of S. Philly's bestTonyMorelliDined on 3/1/2014A unexpected trip into the city was met with one of the best dining experiences in recent memory. Having known and dined at the Chiarellas at jersey shore, our expectations were high to have the same dining experience. S Philly Chiarella's didn't disappoint. The food was outstanding and the environment friendly and welcoming. The overall taste of each entry and app was splendid but it was the fact that you could taste the quality of each individual ingredient that made you know that these people know what it takes to cook Great Italian dishes. Only disappointment was coming away knowing that we missed out on some great food for the last 8 years not knowing of this place. Have a lot of making up to do!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good reliable Italian byob81564VIPDined on 3/1/2014This is a good reliable Italian restaurant where everything is good and reasonably priced. The wait staff is very helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.