Chiang Mai Thai
3001 Hennepin Ave. S
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Chiang Mai Thai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chiangmaithai.com/
- Phone: (612) 827-1606
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 1:00pm; Dinner: Everyday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Asian
- Executive Chef: Joy Evans
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Self catering with our party pack menu.
- Private Party Facilities: At once elegant and comfortable, the Event Room at Chiang Mai Thai can be set up for either formal or informal affairs. Up to 40 people can be accommodated for a sit down meal or up to 60 for a cocktail party. Other features include: Fully stocked bar Exceptional, moderately-priced wine list Built-in pull-down screen for slides or computer presentations Dedicated sound system to create the mood you want. We can arrange to have projectors available and book live music, if desired. And here, as in Thailand, children are welcome!
- Entertainment: Karaoke Thursday nights!
A word from Chiang Mai Thai
Guests have come to know and love us for delicious and exciting Thai food. Our menu offers a variety of dishes that appeal to a wide range of tastes. Chiang Mai Thai has been setting the standard for quality food and atmosphere since 1998 and continues to innovate for the enjoyment of all of our guests. We look forward to seeing you here!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chiang Mai Thai reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (9)special occasion (8)fit for foodies (7)romantic (7)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Not enough ProteinSkimpyProteinDined on 10/9/2014This is the second time that we have gone to Chaing Mai Thai. The food was flavorful and the restaurant offers a lot of variety of spices and dishes. The biggest complaint we all had was that there was not enough protein with the meals. There were 6 in our group and we ordered 6 meals. We split the meals but many times there was note enough protein for us each to have a bite of the protein. This is especially upsetting because the protein is charged for separately.
- very accommodating!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014I had a reservation for 15 that grew to a party of 20 with very little notice. The staff was extremely accommodating in every way, both during the reservation process and during the actual dinner. It went more smoothly than I ever expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Book Club meetingZephDined on 9/18/2014five of us met for bookclub at Chiang Mai Thai. Service was good. Food was fresh and yummy. Everyone like what they ordered.Special Features:
- VeggieDinerDined on 9/14/2014Can't say enough about Chiang Mai Thai. We love the food, they have great vegetarian options and the drinks make us happy. Always a good time.Special Features:
- Okay experiencesaleigh22VIPDined on 9/13/2014Food was ok, but took a long time to come to the table. The cocktail that I ordered tasted like pure alcohol. Server was snotty when questioned on the cocktail.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 9/12/2014We have eaten here a number of times in the past and always enjoyed it but this time was a big disappointment. The service was poor and the food bland. We wont be going back anytime soon.
- jakeVIPDined on 8/30/2014We tried a couple of appetizers and 3 different main courses. None of the food was especially memorable or exceptionally tastey. Sauces weren't very flavorful. The fresh ginger didn't have a strong ginger taste to it. The fish was drowning in sauce but still not very good. There is better Thai food in the Twin Cities to be had.
- Favorite Thai food in Twin CitiesBrucePDined on 8/15/2014We went to Chiang Mai Thai for a belated birthday celebration. Food was great. Service was even better. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family celebrationdateniteDined on 8/8/2014Always love the food here. Solid dishes. One of my favorite Thai places in Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 306 reviews are from the Chiang Mai Thai reviews archive.
- Chiang HappyMsNikkiAmorDined on 7/25/2014I brought my kids here to enjoy dinner! We loved it and will be going back! We sat outside and it felt good and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant weekalzrdDined on 7/25/2014Went here for restaurant week, only offered 2 entrees for deal and both were really spicy. No printed restaurant week menu so not sure these were really the offerings. Got there on time for happy hour with 15 minutes to spare and conveniently our waitress didn't get yo our table until after 6. Ended up ordering off regular menu so we could have went any week and not restaurant week. Went here because someone recommend, nothing special. Parking and traffic is a nightmare too.
- Thai one on hereLionDined on 7/21/2014Delicious food, generous portions and attentive staff. We really enjoyed our experience (and the left overs!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack Of FlavorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Pretty much bland food. Very little flavor in the menu. Same chicken is added to each dish, they don't spice or prepare it differently. You eat here and you regret it because you realize you can prepare food better. Waste of money, time, and calories. Good atmosphere and service though. If you are going to spend on money on food go somewhere good. Very little flavor to dishes. Had Curry Fried rice, pad thai, Lad Na and wontons.
- As close to eating in ThailandOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The food was superb and their seasonings authentic. Our Server (Amy) was wonderful and gave us excellent direction. Great value for dining in Uptown. The only bad thing I note was the restrooms were (both Men and Women's) not very clean. My wife did bring it to the attention of the management on duty. Other than that it was a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite SpotMo525Dined on 6/21/2014Have been a customer for 15 years, service and food has been lacking the past few years but it was back in full force on this visit. Our server was very friendly and checked on us frequently. THe food was perfect and back up to par, pad thai and appetizers were excellent.Special Features:
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/9/2014Most Thai restaurants have mediocre service. Chiangmai Mai Thai is the exception. The service was terrible! We were a party of seven for dinner and after sitting there for fifteen minutes without any water I had to stop a server walking by to ask who was responsible for our section. Five minutes later the server finally shows up as if we had just shown up. No apology, no water. It only got worse. They would have made so much more money had the server checked in every once in a while to refresh our drinks. The food was very good so we will probably give it another try in case there are other servers there who know what they are doing.Special Features:
- JayBeeDined on 6/7/2014I do not want to write one. I do not want to write one. I do not want to write one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite ThaitsmithDined on 6/3/2014The ambiance and atmosphere plus great food and service always pleases.Special Features:
- Great flavor, moderately-priced.MenaDined on 5/31/2014Good service, good food, good speed on a fairly busy night. We were late for our easy-to-make online reservations on a weekend night and they had no problem with it and seated us right away.Special Features:
- We were seated by the toiletHamatronDined on 5/17/2014They sat us by the restroom for no apparent reason (there were other seats open). The waitress tried to get us to order RIGHT AWAY. We ordered apps and drinks, but asked for time on the main order. Our appetizer came before our wine, then the waitress forgot to come back to take our main course order. We had to get up to get her, more than once. Meanwhile, the entire restaurant visited the bathroom at least once. It was not one of their better nights. I'll probably take my Mom to Roat Osha or Tum Rup Thai next time.
- dinner before comedydinnercrewDined on 5/10/2014Service was a little slow considering they were not busy, but the food came in a reasonable time once we ordered. Good variety but the spiciness did not match the description. Drinks were too expensive and tasteless. Don't bother with a mixed drink. But do order the fried crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantKeeganDined on 5/3/2014I've always liked the food and ambience, and will continue to come here!Special Features:
- Sitting in a hole!DeborahDined on 5/2/2014The cuahions at the booth we were sitting in had a big depression in it on both sides! Not comfortable at all. They really need to fix that. I was sitting in a hole while eating dinner. WTH Food was good and the waitress was nice but not very knowledgable regarding the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food- Great Service-Too NoisyUptownResidentDined on 4/30/2014We loved the food and the service. This is a great neighborhood place for us to go. The only trouble is that the music is constantly on loud and, like so many local restaurants, it is too noisy to make conversation. (The evaluation of the noise level didn't allow negative comments, so I include it here- "energetic" was not accurate, the music and noise level interferes with social exchange)I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingEatingOutDined on 4/26/2014The egg rolls were obviously frozen, processed food. My salmon was very good and done to perfection, but the accompanying vegetables were quite bland. My date's curry dish contained only 6 small shrimps, no veggies and heaps of sauce. We liked that you were given a choice between brown or white rice. The atmosphere was lively and pleasant, but the server was disengaged and almost not present.
- Great food with terrible serviceSstenderDined on 4/18/2014Waiter was incompetent causing our meal that should have only taken an hour to last over 2 hours. The thai basil stir fry; however, was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not GreatCopeVIPDined on 4/12/2014I have dined at Chiang Mai Thai several times and plan on dining there in the future. However, the service on this visit was slow and not as attentive as my previous visits (maybe the server was having an "off" day). The food was good both my wife and I had the Panang Curry. She had it with chicken and I had it with fried tofu and veggies.Special Features:
- Friday night dinner for 5JkissDined on 4/4/2014Not the best Thai food I've ever had (I moved here from LA 6 months ago so I've been spoiled with excellent food from every genre), but overall quite good. We had a reservation and were seated right away. I was there with a group of 5, appetizers we're good and I were entrees. We ordered mango with sticky rice for dessert, mango was out of season so it was served with fried bananas instead. The sticky rice sauce could use some work. The cocktails we're ok. The blood orange sipper was a little strong and the back alley ginger had too many chunks of ginger and lemon seeds constantly going up the straw. Other than that, the flavors we're good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was okay, service was slowvpak77Dined on 3/28/2014Went to Chang Mai Thai for a birthday party the other night. There were 8 of us at the table. The food was good (especially the appetizers) but the service was PAINFULLY slow. I would recommend this restaurant as a great happy hour location.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/27/2014I brought a tame group of 15 people to dinner. The intention was to order drinks and appetizers and food and dessert and more drinks = big tip! However...the waitress acted like she didn't want us there from the second she approached our table. She asked if we wanted drinks and before we could even answer she walked away saying "I'll just bring waters" and then didn't come back for quite some time. The whole night went the same way. I've actually never had this type of experience here. Typically I've had wonderful service. But her attitude put a damper on our meal and so instead of sticking around for drinks we went somewhere else! The mood improved drastically at the new location, thanks to a waitress that actually wanted our business!
- Nice Happy HoursusieDined on 3/24/2014We had a happy hour for a departing co-worker and it was great. Very good happy hour deals, great food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food always goodCedar13Dined on 3/22/2014Have never had a bad meal at Chaing Mai Thai. We always go there before hearing music at Famous Daves (not rib people).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaing Mai Thai used to beTCpearlsDined on 3/22/2014Chaing Mai Thai used to be our favorite but this time the service and food were both disappointing. Maybe it was an off night.
- DeliciousMereMplsDined on 3/21/2014I absolutely LOVE your Chicken Pad Thai! My boyfriend and I both had the pad thai this weekend (his much spicier than mine) and we can't wait to come back and have more! My boyfriend's favorite meal has always been steak, while last night he said his spicy chicken pad Thai was far better than anything he's ever had. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Find!KristanchinDined on 3/16/2014I was always hesitant to try Thai food as I thought it was ALL hot and spicy! I was SO happy to find out that was NOT the case! Chiang Mai Tai is WONDERFUL! I am a vegetarian and my very good friend is a Gluten-Free person. It's the PERFECT place for BOTH of us!! I loved it so much, that I have been there TWICE this week!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took to longNickNameDined on 3/15/2014To be clear our waitress was great. The service issue was that once we sat down it took and hour & 15 minutes to get our entrees. Then we waited and waited. Ordered 2nd round of drinks. Waited. Asked for to see desserts on menu. Waited. Ordered dessert, thinking how long can sticky rice take to prepare? Waited and waited. In all we sat at Chiang Mai Thai for 2 1/2 hours. For the group, entrees were rated from fair to excellent. Mine was served barely warm. Drinks were appreciated. Dessert was ok. I understand crazy busy evenings. The place was packed. But 2 1/2 hours trumped a merely ok dining experience.
- great food, too noisythailoverDined on 3/14/2014the food was so good but by the time we got it we were soooo hungry we scarfed it down. It took way too long to get the food, it was so overcrowded, that the noise level was almost unbearable, so I would highly recommend going for LUNCH not on a Friday night :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real nice Thai foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2014The food was decent and the prices were fair. Would recommend going during lunch hour for the buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/6/2014Pretty consistently good. Price is right, service is great and the wait staff makes it look easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekBeccaDined on 2/28/2014All three of us enjoyed the three course meal. Really enjoyed the sweet green curry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.