864 College St.
Toronto, ON M6H 1A3Neighborhood:
Little Italy / College St.
PortuguesePrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.chiadorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (416) 538-1910
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm.
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Portuguese
- Executive Chef: Manuel Vilela
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Chiado
Chiado and Sr. Antonio tapas wine bar are the creation of Albino Silva, one of North America's leading chefs and restaurateurs. Chiado cuisine has been praised for its bold flavours and creative presentations. The menus feature fresh fish flown daily from Portugal and Azores. Best fish restaurant in Toronto.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chiado reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)special occasion (37)romantic (28)notable wine list (25)neighborhood gem (19)good for groups (13)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fresh from PortugalErezDined on 11/15/2014If you like fresh anything you have to come here and enjoy the fresh fish and fresh food. Everything was made to order with perfection. Everything including the olive oil and coffee was brought in from Portugal. Although the place is not trendy, the service and the quality of food far exceed any lack of cool factor. The WOW is in every bite and the flavors and amazing. The Cod is simple yet perfect and is what fish is all about. This place is not for every day enjoyment but I wouldefiantlyly return for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yvelfoodieDined on 11/1/2014Food is superb. Service is exemplary and the decor makes you want to sit and enjoy the evening. A truly great rrstaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Portuguese Seafood!CenaVIPDined on 10/31/2014A great spot for Portuguese seafood dishes. Assorda is a must-have. The monkfish and the grouper were also very delicious. The desserts were excellent. The Crème brule was one of the best in town. Service was outstanding too!!Special Features:
- ExecellentNH603Dined on 10/26/2014My girlfriend and I ate had a great experience at Chiado. The food, wine, and service were all top notch and we would go back. Prices are high, but the unique food and excellent service justified spending more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedNewfoodieDined on 10/25/2014I was looking for a good seafood restaurant to surprise my girlfriend and came across Chiado in my searches. I would say it definitely exceeded my expectations and my girlfriend who is well traveled and experienced in food from all over the world was also very impressed. She had the octopus and I had the lamb and both were prepared perfectly! Excellent wine selection as well. We will definitely be going back and carrying friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDebbieDined on 10/4/2014Took a client and his wife here for dinner, the service by our waiter was excellent he was very attentive and had great recommendations. The food was exceptional specifically if you like fish but also had choices for the non fish eaters. Would highly recommend this restaurant you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Fabulous FishOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We had a party of 8 for a dinner just among friends. Several of my friends ordered the whole grilled sea bass and monkfish, both of which were described as delicious. I ordered the combo fish dish; monk fish, tile fish (delicate and sweet flavour) and sea bream. All 3 fish were made with different sauces accompanied with rice or vegetables. All 3 were very good. My brother who is an oyster lover, found the oysters form PEI to be exceptional! The service was excellent! Third time there.Special Features:
- Lunch At ChaidoValleyDinersDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I had an enjoyable lunch at Chiado on Sept. 26/14. The service was excellent as usual, with the variety of choices of fish on the menu making it a difficult decision, but with good results. It was quiet, (one other couple), but we enjoyed the opportunity to chat and relish the meal without a great amount of din. This is one of the best locations for fresh fish in the city.Special Features:
- ExcellentElmer11Dined on 9/20/2014Did not know what to expect as I chose the restaurant based on a list I found on the internet. I was not disappointed. The restaurant from the outside stands out from the regular facade in the area. What you see from the front carries on inside. The food was excellent with fresh and organic ingredients from Portugal. The portion size did not disappoint. Service was excellent. My only complaint would be the noise level but when the food and service was good, you tend to overlook that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excessive costDeaconDined on 9/17/2014While the food was very good, it was ridiculously expensive and quite frankly, did not provide good value. I will not be back, there are many, many restaurants which have the same or higher level of food, but at a significantly lower price. A cost of $60 for a course of fish is beyond belief. All fresh fish "at market price" were at excessive prices. The entire menu was vastly over-priced. While I enjoyed the evening, my overall feeling is one of "shock and awe".
- food is excellant.kathdanDined on 9/15/2014The appetisers were great. lobster, wonderful. Professional service. Good wine. Knowlegeable waiter and servers.Special Features:
- one of the best in TorontostratfranksDined on 9/7/2014A Portuguese restaurant that's been around for 23 years, this was my first time, and was one of the best meals I've ever had in Toronto. Wonderful food, fantastic service, great ambiance, and a terrific wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portuguese excellenceArthurJDined on 8/27/2014Fine food -- especially fish -- served with considerable skill by knowledgeable staff. Refined takes on many traditional dishes. Fairly expensive (mains in the $40-$50 range), but good portions of very good food make for good value.Special Features:
- AlexthefoodsnobDined on 8/24/2014Fantastic food and highly professional service. The waiter came to us with a majestic plate full of raw fresh fish shortly upon our arrival, and recommended the specials. No need to look at the menu!Special Features:
- Enjoy good food in TorontoBongarfoDined on 8/14/2014Dining at Chiado was a fine experience. Visiting Toronto, I was looking for a nice and cozy yet elegant place, with very good food, friendly service and not that expensive. Chiado is that kind of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints.Kar216Dined on 8/9/2014Chiado is a wonderful restaurant, and one of my favourite restaurants in Toronto. Food quality is beyond reproach and the service is impeccable.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceBigsDined on 8/2/2014On Saturday evening my wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Chiado. We had a wonderful time..the food, the wine and the waiters were all great. I would recommend to my friends and look forward to going again. It was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Amazing Experience....JamesElmVIPDined on 7/31/2014Every trip to Chiado becomes an opportunity for a mini vacation...almost like an escape for the evening. From the moment you are hospitably and graciously greeting at the reception to the impeccable care and service brought to your meal, the evening is a treat! Albino and Manny continue to offer one of the few remaining true dining opportunities in the City of Toronto. Thank you for many great nights.....Special Features:
- ChiadoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014It was our first time at Chiado and the evening was perfect, the food and service was over the top. I would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Good Fish eatingluv2eatfishDined on 7/26/2014For those of you who love to eat a whole fresh grilled fish, with head, this is the place to go. It can also be deboned at your table if you wish!Special Features:
- The following 172 reviews are from the Chiado reviews archive.
- Good SeafoodNoriDined on 7/19/2014I have been there a couple of times and always satisfied. Sardine and and risotto were perfect taste. I recommend for the people who are looking for fresh seafood.Special Features:
- Great find for seafood!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014There are not many places in Toronto that have ample seafood choices. This is a place that has amazing seafood selections. We were a big group of 9 people who attended for Summerlicious, 2 people out of our group ordered off of the regular menu and it was good to see that the quality on the Summerlicious menu was just as good as the regular menu. I would recommend this place for a special occasion or if you really feel like seafood done right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't like itWWWWDined on 7/19/2014I just don't like the food in Chiado...don't know why...no surprise at all
- Exquisite Seafood in TorontosmytanthDined on 7/18/2014I have visited Chiado two or three times over a 15-20 year period. It is renowned for its excellent seafood, and it remains one of if not the best seafood restaurant in Toronto. The fish is always perfectly cooked and paired with interesting and very tasty vegetables. The wine list, largely but not exclusively Portuguese, gives the customer a wide range of choices at reasonable prices, with many available by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fairly goodRecommendDined on 7/15/2014the fish there is fresh. my appetizer, grilled squid was a bit over cooked but overall the meal was very nice.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/15/2014The title says it all. We have eaten at Chiado a number of times, and there is always great food and exemplary service. Their seafood is particularly outstanding. It is our favourite higher end restaurant in Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RinrinDined on 7/15/2014came here for summerlicious, food was good, service was ok, however nothing really special
- Good food, below-average expFromthegutDined on 7/14/2014Waiter seemed knowledgeable and nice, but the pace was out of wack. Appetizers came in before we were even done with the aperitives, wine came after that. Immediately after came the mains. Basically had to chug a bottle of wine as they were closing for the night. All in all, food was great but we didn't appreciate being fast tracked though the dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always reliableJulesDined on 7/14/2014This is our third visit to Chaido and it's always been lovely. Had the Summerlicious menu and the skate wing was fabulous. Service is always professional and efficient. Look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- 1st encounter w/Portuguese cuisineEbelleeDined on 7/13/2014Staff were all very friendly.Food was amazing & presentation was excellent. Will be Back!Special Features:
- Sumptuous SummerliciousIskieDined on 7/13/2014Really enjoyed the meal and the impeccable service. The goat cheese brulee was sumptuous.Special Features:
- Mediocre summerlicious lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014Soup was watered down, fish was cold only highlight was the dessert because it looked niceSpecial Features:
- Great restaurant!llovegoodfoodDined on 7/13/2014I found this restaurant on the Summerlicious list of restaurants and it was a terrific find! The food was beautifully prepared, tasted delicious and lovely to look at. They cooked their seafood perfectly and the amounts were just right. The service was attentive and the ambiance was lovely, it was a special lunch and it felt like an occasion which is how it should be. I have already recommended this place to many of my friends and colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Toronto's finestOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/12/2014Chiado is without question one of Toronto's finest restaurants. Much less well known than some of the expensive restaurants downtown, it never fails to impress when we go. We always choose from the selection of daily fresh fish and its always well prepapred and presented. Not cheap, but a real treat for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Good Portuguese foodTamchiakDined on 7/12/2014Good food, fresh, well portion, delicious, back to basic down to earth solid classic cooking. No need funny ingredients to spice up the dish unnecessary. Mature professional server n host. Decor can be improved a little by re positioning some of the square tables. Really great Portuguese culinary cooking! Will bring my clients here. For people who knows good tasty food and not trends. Will order again the grilled squid, nicely chared n not rubbery. The sardines was just as good as the ones we had in Capri, the sea bream was simply fresh, nicely pan seared, not over cook. The bisque is full of depth n flavour. Well done chef!Special Features:
- Super-lisious! Summerlicious!Tati1101Dined on 7/12/2014It was our first time in this lovely Portuguese restaurant in the heart of Toronto Little Portugal. At the entrance we were greeted by a highly presentable Maitre D', maybe even the Owner of the restaurant. Summerlicious menu was exclusive with a superb variety of seafood! I tried a skate fish (sting-ring!) steak and was very impressed. Everything was super fresh! Staff was clean, neat, knowledgeable with nice manners and sense of humour! It was an upscale brunch, but it was worth it! Thank you and we will be back for one of our romantic occasions!Special Features:
- Pretentious and overpriced!!!EurofoodyDined on 7/11/2014Very, very unfriendly. No one came out to greet us when we arrived. My lobster risotto for $45 was ice cold and tasteless. This risotto reminded me of slightly salty rice pudding from a cheap supermarket. The lobster meat was very rubbery and had an awful taste. I was there with my clients and did not want to make a scene, but I will never go back there. We paid our bill, left a proper tip, but again, no "thank you", no "how was your meal", no "goodby" I guess they should go to McDonald's school of charm to learn all this. I felt very bad for my clients who had to go along with this disgusting treatment. Unhappy
- Great food, serviceTorontoGrandmaDined on 7/11/2014Friendly, prompt service. Great fish, of course, and nice presentation. Vegetables could have a bit more attention paid to them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will go backKristaDined on 7/11/2014I wasn't expecting much from this dining experience since it was part of the Summerlicious program. I have never eaten at a restaurant during this event because of the fear of being treated poorly (and seen as cheep by the servers). So we, two women, had a good meal and a good enough time to come back another time and pay the prices for a great dinner and great service. We had the set menus, two glasses of wine and two espressos with dessert. We were there to try the menu and we did-which is the point of Summerlicious. So, saying all this, our meals were delicious, the servers polite (neutral to us as guests) and we were whisked very efficiently in and out in just over an hour. The maitre d' was charming and friendly.Special Features:
- Great food Bad serviceTonyDined on 7/11/2014We had dinner of the summerlicious event there. Waited for more than an hour between the first and second course...Maybe this is you get what you paid for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.