5406 Balcones Dr.
Austin, TX 78731Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezzee.com/
- Phone: 5124542666x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11am-10pm. Friday: 11am-midnight. Saturday: 9am-midnight. Sunday: 9am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Larkin Louro-Tully
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: In house private functions for parties of up to 250.
- Entertainment: Pop Piano and Jazz Standards Monday, Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday mornings.
- Special Events: Chez Zee is THE spot in Austin to celebrate the special moments in people's lives. From New Year's to Christmas, Bar Mitzvahs and weddings to birthdays, come celebrate with us!
A word from Chez Zee
Chez Zee combines a Parisian-style bakery with a casual American-style bistro and offers guests award winning dessert selections. We have an ever-expanding lunch, dinner, and brunch menu, a full bar, as well as a private banquet party room to celebrate special occasions. All desserts are made on-site in our award winning bakery and all entrees are made to order with the best and local ingredients around. We're saving a chair for you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Chez Zee - Best Restaurants in Northwest ›
Chez Zee reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (129)neighborhood gem (115)special occasion (90)good for groups (79)fit for foodies (79)great for lunch (72)romantic (57)kid-friendly (44)late-night find (26)hot spot (21)great for outdoor dining (16)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great ExperiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Food and service was great! There was a large variety of gluten free items on the menu which was appreciated by my guests. The staff and restaurant was very accommodating to our requests. Our family has had many special occasions there over the years and Chez Zee helped to create wonderful memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeHarveyDined on 10/12/2014Our family has gone to Chez Zee several times and it never disappointed us in any way. Definitely will come to Chez Zee again in the future.Special Features:
- Love the atmospherefoodieDined on 10/5/2014The service and atmosphere is great, the food is unique and tasty and they have a full bar. There is a piano in the entrance area and they have a piano man playing on occasion.Special Features:
- Too noisyJava1002Dined on 10/5/2014We went for Sunday brunch and enjoyed the delicious food, but the atmosphere was hectic and loud. In addition to all the loud voices screaming at each other, they had a piano player who didn't know the meaning of soft, making it even more difficult to hear. A great improvement would be to have soft music such as jazz or something less bombastic. I would return but only during an off hour. Be warned also that the brunch is extremely popular so reservations are a must. We had to wait 30 minutes past our reservation time to be seated.Special Features:
- Great for a Celebration!BDaybrunchDined on 10/4/2014Our family has met at Chez Zee for the last 2 years to celebrate my Longhorn daughter's birthday! We love the food and the festive atmosphere!! It is so nice to make a reservation, and when you tell them it is a special occasion, they really add some special touches!Special Features:
- Disappointed!FoodieDined on 10/3/2014Lovely setting. While our waiter was working hard, it was over an hour before our main course was served. Jambalaya had NO chicken, shrimp or sausage in it - thin broth! Sent it back. When the food came, it was good, but this was our second less-than-satisfactory experience at ZTejas. Love the location, but will probably not go back for brunch.
- Ready for a changeFrenchie2Dined on 10/2/2014Because it's not far for me, I have been to Chez Zee many times in the 12 years I've lived in Austin. I find that the menu never changes much. Most of the time, I am disappointed by what I eat here, even though I am not a picky eater. However, I can say that the bread is good! Drinks are OK, and the service is excellent. I have never had an indifferent server. That makes up for the inadequacy of the menu.Special Features:
- Gluten free friendlyOperaticDined on 10/2/2014Chez Zee makes a real effort to greet diners in a friendly way, and to cater for special diets. The good tastes great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch Hot SpotQuentinDined on 9/28/2014Chez Zee is a great all around place to go! Dine, Drink, Celebrate - all. However - If you choose to have Sunday Brunch - ENSURE you make reservations! Take a sweater, AC gets going very good! Be patient. Be understanding. Valet parking is the best I've ever encountered!Special Features:
- Good BrunchChucklesDined on 9/28/2014The noise level is very high in the main dining area, but the atmosphere is festive. In general, the menu selections are good, however the shrimp and grits were very mundane.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky Austin vibeMamaDDined on 9/28/2014The decor is fun. Bloody Mary's were great as were the eggs Benedict. The crab was superb. If nothing else, go for the complimentary croissants that are as light as a feather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice!striderDined on 9/27/2014Four of us were celebrating a couple of birthdays, and enjoyed the restaurant very much. Place settings for the birthdays (not gaudy) and excellent service. Nice piano/keyboard in the background. Meals were very good, with some interesting choices and some good wine selections. Overall a very enjoyable meal in a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysPrePinkDined on 9/27/2014I have enjoyed Chez Zee for many years and this visit was no exception. Among our group of 4 we had the trout, pasta with shrimp, pork tenderloin and soup and salad. Everyone spoke highly of their own choice. Although we didn't have desert on this visit, it was hard to turn down because the deserts are exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and funOperaticDined on 9/25/2014Halloween decor, gluten free food that tastes good, great service, warm welcome. Who could ask for more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!Grandma5Dined on 9/25/2014Love this place! They have great food, the best service and love the decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for lunch toodinerfromdsDined on 9/24/2014Chez Zee, always a trusted place for dinner, is great for lunch too as I discovered recently. The lunch menu is large and varied so if you're dining with a finicky eater or a guest whose dietary requirements you're unfamiliar with, Chez Zee accommodates everyone on the "foodie" spectrum. All this and the restaurant takes lunch reservations too so you can dine on schedule! Our finicky eater and the rest of us thoroughly enjoyed our luncheon experience.Special Features:
- Extra (s)mileZiggyZagatDined on 9/23/2014We've loved Chez Zee as a go-to joint for brunch, late nite grub, & special occasions for years: festive, romantic atmosphere, great menu, NOT A CHAIN, amazing vibe & desserts. Former law school classmate in town celebrating wedding anniversary -- my fam booked the table online for Chez Zee and everyone wonderfully surprised & delighted by all the special touches for the celebration on very short notice. The couple was really touched & so was our family to host at Chez Zee -- service, dinner, dessert & company all were fabulous!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014We had a surprise party here for a friend. The servers and staff were great and we loved the magician that came around to our table. The ambiance of the restaurant was perfect for the occasion too. My only complaint is that the food here just seems so dated. No one really liked their meal enough to warrant the price tag. It's not that the food is bad, or poorly prepared, it's just really mediocre and the restaurant has such acclaim. There are very few vegetarian options, no gluten free substitutes, nothing really modern feeling or very up to par with other brunch places. I only comment because I know Chez Zee could have a really killer menu with a little updating and revamping.Special Features:
- It's okAnna22Dined on 9/16/2014Service was extremely slow for how few people were in the restaurant. We waited over 10 min to be greeted and then had to wait longer for water. Server was nice. Our steaks were VERY rare, even though we asked for Med Rare. The server noticed and offered to cook it longer, but we were so hungry that wasn't really an option at the time :/ Overall, the ambiance is what really makes the place; I love Christmas lights! I wouldn't come here on a regular basis, thoughSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The food was good. My spouses dish was a smaller portion than expected. Additionally, I don't know if it was due to the noise level, but the waitress got my spouses order wrong and my side dish had to be requested twice.Special Features:
- Great as always.JustMarriedDined on 9/15/2014Terrific place for any occasion. Food, service, atmosphere are all terrific.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Loved it and will definitely be back. The food was good, the drinks were great, and service and overall feel was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great discovery!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed the food and atmosphere so much that we went back the next day!!! We had brunch both Sat and Sun, really enjoyed it. My husband loved the spicy bloody mary's and I liked the pear nectar mimosas. We had several versions of the eggs benedict, omelettes, and pancakes. My husband is French and he loved the croissants, the best he's had in 20 yrs in America. We had 3 college age girls with us that loved the place, too. So glad we discovered it, Chez Zee will be our go-to breakfast place whenever we are in Austin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decadent brunch!kerenwest18Dined on 9/13/2014Fantastic food, great ambiance! My husband and I are new to Austin and thought we would give Chez Zee a try. My husband loves Eggs Benedict and there is a whole section of the menu dedicated to different varieties of this classic. I'm also a big fan of Creme Brûlée and French toast, so the combination of the two sounded very appealing. We were not disappointed! Excellent food, great service, and a quirky, fun atmosphere. We will be making this a regular spot! Go hungry, for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class ActRenieDined on 9/7/2014I've been going to Chez Zee for the past 20 years and it is one of my favorite restaurants. It is in a perfect central location and parking is always easy. The decor is beautiful with lots of twinkle lights and beautiful art work. Service is always top notch and my coffee or tea always full. The food is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Chez Zee Except for the NoiseCheZeeLoverDined on 8/31/2014I often dine at Chez Zee. It is one of my favorite Austin restaurants. It is also very popular so there are often large groups there, and I tend to go with one friend. I have experienced sitting next to a group table where the diners were so loud and enthusiastic, I could not converse with my friend. The service is not as attentive as I would like.Wait staff are exceptionally friendly. The food is excellent. will be loyal!Special Features:
- jemabaDined on 8/30/2014I loved the Eggs Benedict and the croissants and strawberry butter. The service was okay, but I was disappointed that the server did not bring me the additional hot water that I requested for my tea. Also, the first thing that my 5 year old granddaughter said when we were seated was "I need something to color", so my son-in-law had to run out to the car to get some crayons and coloring book. Maybe there should be some crayons available for your "little" customers. All in all, my experience was very good. my complaints were just minor inconveniences and did not really impact my experience with Chez Zee very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchJensfoodreviewsDined on 8/24/2014I have been to Chez Zee twice for bruch and loved the meal both times. This particular time I learned and made a reservation, and our table was ready on time. We sat outside, which was a nice covered patio. My guest and I both had mimosas (they have by the glass and half/full carafe) and enjoyed the soft and flaky croissants that comes to every table at brunch (the butter has fruit in it and is the best thing ever). I was impressed with them amount of vegetarian items on the menu, but the avocado convinced me. We each ordered an omelette, and mine had thyme, goat cheese, tomato and the aforementioned avocado. Perfect combination, and tasty sides. Overall, it was friendly service and great brunch - will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just keeps going downhill, ADA messPesecaninaVIPDined on 8/24/2014I really loved this place. The food is still good (weak coffee). The service is bad.Maybe they don't have enough servers scheduled, because they are friendly, just not around. This visit I waited 5min to be acknowledged, over 10min for coffee, at least 30min for food, and 15-20 for the check. Drink refills were done by someone else, but I hope they have a way to distinguish decaf on sight. Luckily I was catching up with a friend. It is incredibly loud even without piano. The tables are so packed I was glad for my cane instead of my walker. Just not worth it anymore.Special Features:
- Try the carrot cake!Cake4uDined on 8/24/2014The brunch is always excellent. However, it's the carrot cake I keep coming back for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious StandardOntsmomnaDined on 8/24/2014This is always a family favorite. It is loud and on we did have to ask for several things. The food is always very delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerBdinner823Dined on 8/23/2014I've been to chez zee before and the dinner was excellent, this last time for my birthday I had pasta and some of the strands we're stick together and over cooked.Special Features:
- A great placeBeverlyDined on 8/23/2014All the staff are fantastic. We dine there at least once a week. Our family considers Chez Zee the perfect place for family get togethers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend late night favoriteLauraDined on 8/22/2014My first pick for a cozy late night dining experience. From the minute you enter the dining room until the last bite of a delicious dessert after a wonderful meal, this lovely restaurant understands how to please. I absolutely love Chez Zee!Special Features:
- Still Love ItCrzyCrtnyDined on 8/22/2014Chee Zee has been around a while, standing the test of time. Food is great and they have gluten free options. I have never had a bad experience and even busy the food is quick. The dessert is insane and is the reason for five stars. The food was really good but maybe 3.5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above and BeyondFoodfanDined on 8/22/2014A group of dear friends and I recently dined there for a birthday lunch. Chez Zee decorated the table and our dessert sampler with ribbons, beads, and a birthday candle! Our server was very attentive, the food was great, and we all felt honored by the efforts of Chez Zee to make sure our lunch was pleasant and memorable. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- So GoodFoodieeVIPDined on 8/18/2014I always love coming here! It is consistently delicious and has great service.Special Features:
- Excellent...AS ALWAYS!RickVIPDined on 8/17/2014Always enjoy coming to Chez Zee. A very special place, great ambience, food, and DESSERTS! Don't be stressed...have a Chez Zee DESSERT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchausscotDined on 8/17/2014First time here. Although we had made a reservation they were a little behind so we had to wait, but nothing too bad - only 10 minutes. Placed our order without much of a problem and it was really good. We had migas (with sausage added), crab cake benedict, breakfast quiche, kids grilled cheese and a kids choc chip pancake. All were hits. There were a couple of downsides. Waitress asked if we were wanted dessert and we said we would have a look. She brought a menu over. I had to take my son to the bathroom, but shortly after I came back the waitress came by with the bill. It wasn't till we left I found out we never got asked for a dessert order. We were also pretty close to the piano which, while good, was loud too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch Placegr8brunchDined on 8/10/2014ChezZee has been our family's favorite brunch place. The ambience is always fun and family friendly. Food is amazing from French Toast to waffles to eggs benedict. Love their house made croissants with strawberry butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.