5406 Balcones Dr.
Austin, TX 78731Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezzee.com/
- Phone: 5124542666x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11am-10pm. Friday: 11am-midnight. Saturday: 9am-midnight. Sunday: 9am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Larkin Louro-Tully
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: In house private functions for parties of up to 250.
- Private Party Facilities: Chez Zee has a complete private dining room with a private patio, sound system, beautiful decor and exquisite American cuisine and service. Chez Zee will gladly accommodate seated parties of up to 100 or cocktail style events up to 250 in The Gallery.
- Private Party Contact: Events Manager 512-454-2666x
- Entertainment: Pop Piano and Jazz Standards Monday, Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday mornings.
- Special Events: Chez Zee is THE spot in Austin to celebrate the special moments in people's lives. From New Year's to Christmas, Bar Mitzvahs and weddings to birthdays, come celebrate with us!
A word from Chez Zee
Chez Zee combines a Parisian-style bakery with a casual American-style bistro and offers guests award winning dessert selections. We have an ever-expanding lunch, dinner, and brunch menu, a full bar, as well as a private banquet party room to celebrate special occasions. All desserts are made on-site in our award winning bakery and all entrees are made to order with the best and local ingredients around. We're saving a chair for you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Chez Zee - Best Restaurants in Northwest ›
Chez Zee reviews from OpenTable diners
225 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (155)neighborhood gem (127)special occasion (107)good for groups (95)great for lunch (89)fit for foodies (86)romantic (68)kid-friendly (57)late-night find (29)great for outdoor dining (25)hot spot (24)notable wine list (10)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- It's okAnna22Dined on 9/16/2014Service was extremely slow for how few people were in the restaurant. We waited over 10 min to be greeted and then had to wait longer for water. Server was nice. Our steaks were VERY rare, even though we asked for Med Rare. The server noticed and offered to cook it longer, but we were so hungry that wasn't really an option at the time :/ Overall, the ambiance is what really makes the place; I love Christmas lights! I wouldn't come here on a regular basis, thoughSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The food was good. My spouses dish was a smaller portion than expected. Additionally, I don't know if it was due to the noise level, but the waitress got my spouses order wrong and my side dish had to be requested twice.Special Features:
- Great as always.JustMarriedDined on 9/15/2014Terrific place for any occasion. Food, service, atmosphere are all terrific.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Loved it and will definitely be back. The food was good, the drinks were great, and service and overall feel was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great discovery!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed the food and atmosphere so much that we went back the next day!!! We had brunch both Sat and Sun, really enjoyed it. My husband loved the spicy bloody mary's and I liked the pear nectar mimosas. We had several versions of the eggs benedict, omelettes, and pancakes. My husband is French and he loved the croissants, the best he's had in 20 yrs in America. We had 3 college age girls with us that loved the place, too. So glad we discovered it, Chez Zee will be our go-to breakfast place whenever we are in Austin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decadent brunch!kerenwest18Dined on 9/13/2014Fantastic food, great ambiance! My husband and I are new to Austin and thought we would give Chez Zee a try. My husband loves Eggs Benedict and there is a whole section of the menu dedicated to different varieties of this classic. I'm also a big fan of Creme Brûlée and French toast, so the combination of the two sounded very appealing. We were not disappointed! Excellent food, great service, and a quirky, fun atmosphere. We will be making this a regular spot! Go hungry, for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Class ActRenieDined on 9/7/2014I've been going to Chez Zee for the past 20 years and it is one of my favorite restaurants. It is in a perfect central location and parking is always easy. The decor is beautiful with lots of twinkle lights and beautiful art work. Service is always top notch and my coffee or tea always full. The food is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Chez Zee Except for the NoiseCheZeeLoverDined on 8/31/2014I often dine at Chez Zee. It is one of my favorite Austin restaurants. It is also very popular so there are often large groups there, and I tend to go with one friend. I have experienced sitting next to a group table where the diners were so loud and enthusiastic, I could not converse with my friend. The service is not as attentive as I would like.Wait staff are exceptionally friendly. The food is excellent. will be loyal!Special Features:
- jemabaDined on 8/30/2014I loved the Eggs Benedict and the croissants and strawberry butter. The service was okay, but I was disappointed that the server did not bring me the additional hot water that I requested for my tea. Also, the first thing that my 5 year old granddaughter said when we were seated was "I need something to color", so my son-in-law had to run out to the car to get some crayons and coloring book. Maybe there should be some crayons available for your "little" customers. All in all, my experience was very good. my complaints were just minor inconveniences and did not really impact my experience with Chez Zee very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchJensfoodreviewsDined on 8/24/2014I have been to Chez Zee twice for bruch and loved the meal both times. This particular time I learned and made a reservation, and our table was ready on time. We sat outside, which was a nice covered patio. My guest and I both had mimosas (they have by the glass and half/full carafe) and enjoyed the soft and flaky croissants that comes to every table at brunch (the butter has fruit in it and is the best thing ever). I was impressed with them amount of vegetarian items on the menu, but the avocado convinced me. We each ordered an omelette, and mine had thyme, goat cheese, tomato and the aforementioned avocado. Perfect combination, and tasty sides. Overall, it was friendly service and great brunch - will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just keeps going downhill, ADA messPesecaninaVIPDined on 8/24/2014I really loved this place. The food is still good (weak coffee). The service is bad.Maybe they don't have enough servers scheduled, because they are friendly, just not around. This visit I waited 5min to be acknowledged, over 10min for coffee, at least 30min for food, and 15-20 for the check. Drink refills were done by someone else, but I hope they have a way to distinguish decaf on sight. Luckily I was catching up with a friend. It is incredibly loud even without piano. The tables are so packed I was glad for my cane instead of my walker. Just not worth it anymore.Special Features:
- Try the carrot cake!Cake4uDined on 8/24/2014The brunch is always excellent. However, it's the carrot cake I keep coming back for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious StandardOntsmomnaDined on 8/24/2014This is always a family favorite. It is loud and on we did have to ask for several things. The food is always very delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerBdinner823Dined on 8/23/2014I've been to chez zee before and the dinner was excellent, this last time for my birthday I had pasta and some of the strands we're stick together and over cooked.Special Features:
- A great placeBeverlyDined on 8/23/2014All the staff are fantastic. We dine there at least once a week. Our family considers Chez Zee the perfect place for family get togethers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend late night favoriteLauraDined on 8/22/2014My first pick for a cozy late night dining experience. From the minute you enter the dining room until the last bite of a delicious dessert after a wonderful meal, this lovely restaurant understands how to please. I absolutely love Chez Zee!Special Features:
- Still Love ItCrzyCrtnyDined on 8/22/2014Chee Zee has been around a while, standing the test of time. Food is great and they have gluten free options. I have never had a bad experience and even busy the food is quick. The dessert is insane and is the reason for five stars. The food was really good but maybe 3.5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above and BeyondFoodfanDined on 8/22/2014A group of dear friends and I recently dined there for a birthday lunch. Chez Zee decorated the table and our dessert sampler with ribbons, beads, and a birthday candle! Our server was very attentive, the food was great, and we all felt honored by the efforts of Chez Zee to make sure our lunch was pleasant and memorable. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- So GoodFoodieeVIPDined on 8/18/2014I always love coming here! It is consistently delicious and has great service.Special Features:
- Excellent...AS ALWAYS!RickVIPDined on 8/17/2014Always enjoy coming to Chez Zee. A very special place, great ambience, food, and DESSERTS! Don't be stressed...have a Chez Zee DESSERT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchausscotDined on 8/17/2014First time here. Although we had made a reservation they were a little behind so we had to wait, but nothing too bad - only 10 minutes. Placed our order without much of a problem and it was really good. We had migas (with sausage added), crab cake benedict, breakfast quiche, kids grilled cheese and a kids choc chip pancake. All were hits. There were a couple of downsides. Waitress asked if we were wanted dessert and we said we would have a look. She brought a menu over. I had to take my son to the bathroom, but shortly after I came back the waitress came by with the bill. It wasn't till we left I found out we never got asked for a dessert order. We were also pretty close to the piano which, while good, was loud too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch Placegr8brunchDined on 8/10/2014ChezZee has been our family's favorite brunch place. The ambience is always fun and family friendly. Food is amazing from French Toast to waffles to eggs benedict. Love their house made croissants with strawberry butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunchwesdavis83Dined on 8/10/2014It is a bit pricey for drinks and brunch ($55 for two, splitting a meal). The Southern Crab Cakes Eggs Benedict were great. I've also had the Commodore Eggs Benedict which was also great. The atmosphere is really fun and upbeat, with a live piano player doing covers of classics, and the lightning creates a nice mood. Great for Brunch.Special Features:
- Return visitOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2014Food & service excellent as usual. The piano was a bit loud, it made conversation a bit difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of townerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Visiting from California I was looking forward to some of the famous foodie experiences I've been told about. Chez Zee absolutely filled the bill. There are myriad opportunities for excellent food here and I can recommend this as one of the best I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Great food and service. However given its popularity with groups and families, the wait can be a bit long to as people will camp out their tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but loudOntsmomnaDined on 8/3/2014The food was wonderful as always. However, we were seated under a speaker and could barely hear each other speak. Made it tough for good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Brunch!Nikki1021Dined on 8/3/2014Promptly seated for our 10:30 reservation and greeted by Brittany who was able to navigate us through the very extensive brunch menu. We started our brunch with Bloody Mary's, which were excellent, and the appetizer creme brûlée french toast. So glad Brittany told us about this option since it is very rich and we wanted to try the house specialty but had other entree options on our list. Out of all of our selections, I have to say that the Lobster and Shrimp Omelet ordered by our son was our favorite. Definitely had food envy and look forward to coming back to order it for myself. The ambiance is relaxed and the piano playing in the background made the morning special. Appeared that they can accommodate couples to larger parties well.Special Features:
- First timeJDATXDined on 8/1/2014This was our first time here in celebration of our 3 year anniversary, the atmosphere was nice and inviting. There was someone playing a piano in the distance and it wasn't too crowded. The food and drinks were good, the fried pickles were delicious and so where the Mexican martinis. I had a tasty prime rib and my partner had the chicken fried steak with mac and cheese and I have to say the mac and cheese was pretty much the best I've had. I definitely recommend this place, there's also a nice patio which I'll have to try out on our next visit. Oh and save room for dessert, they have a great selection! If anything get the peach galette, can't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014You always know you will get good food and good service at Chez Zee. I like that there are healthy options on the menu and also decadent desserts available.Special Features:
- Poor service, greasy foodmegnfoodieDined on 7/30/2014We got there and it was pretty empty. they stuck us in a corner and proceeded to fill up every table close to us even though the rest of the restaurant was completely empty. Then, our server would come by to take our order, ask us a question, proceed to turn around, completely ignoring us, without waiting for an answer. The food was greasy and not hot when it came out. we ordered fried pickles - supposed to be the best in Austin! Not so much. The pickles were barely discernable with the amount of grease and coating. And they were cold when they arrived! Finally, we had to ask 3 times to get the happy hour menu - even though it was a Wednesday - which is supposed to be their happy hour all day- day. I don't recommend this place to anyone.
- Great Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/27/2014This has rapidly become my favorite brunch spot in Austin. There are always brunch specials which tempt me away from their main menu, which is extensive and great in its own right. If you like interesting twists on a Benedict (my personal fave), this is a good place for you! Always busy on weekend brunch, so a reservation isn't a bad idea, but they do have a lovely waiting area. Piano player also adds to the ambiance.Special Features:
- Fantastic Birthday dinnerMSWdinerDined on 7/24/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Austin. The ambiance is festive and unique as is the menu. Be sure to save room for dessert - all created in house and fabulous. The seasonal red white and blue pie was outstanding as was the desert sampler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningCraJacDined on 7/23/2014Chez Zee is my wife's favorite restaurant. Though we live about 45 minutes away, we go as often as we can. Delicious foods, presented in great style. Incredible desserts. We had the Go Texas price fixe meal this time. Terrific. Service was also outstanding. And we bought a loaf of the fabulous Crème Brulee French Toast with rum sauce.Special Features:
- My go-to place for lunchesAstroDinerDined on 7/23/2014I've been going to Chez Zee since coming to Austin in 1991. Sharon and the staff have maintained high quality of food and service. Of course the desserts are great, but I'm a huge fan of the Blueberry and Blue Cheese salad with Edamame. Better make a reservation at lunchtime or for sunday brunch. Valet parking is nice, since the parking lot is often packed at peak hours. A great place for romantic dinners like valentines day.Special Features:
- Good Romantic Option in TownATXWillDined on 7/19/2014We went for a romantic dinner. The ambiance is enhanced (at least when we went on a Saturday night) by two musicians plying their jazzy craft on the cello and piano. Our food was great. Service was pretty good. There are actually a couple of vegan items on the menu, which is a nice feature! Although the place doesn't have a snobby upscale feel, be prepared to pay upscale prices.Special Features:
- Great food and charmlove2eatgemDined on 7/19/2014Been going to this restaurant for years and always love to return for the wonderful food especially their desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Prime rib was flavorless and raw. The desserts here are varied and usually very good. I didn't care much for the spices in the red white and blue apple pie. I keep hoping the food will be better here, as the setting and staff are wonderful.
- Consistently goodATXFoodFanDined on 7/14/2014Food, Service and Ambience are consistent. Great for lunch meetings. Weekend brunch is among best in ATX.Special Features:
- OkayPearlDined on 7/13/2014I've had wonderful lunch and brunches at Chez Zee but can't say the same for dinner. Our last two outings there found the entrees and wine selection to be okay, but not tasty enough to bring us back.Special Features: