938 Villa Street
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cheztj.com/
- Phone: 6509647466x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesdays - Thursdays 5:30 to 9 p.m.
Fridays-Saturdays, 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jarad Gallagher
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chez TJ offers four private dining rooms that can accommodate 8 - 30 people. Please call or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Private Party Contact: George Aviet 6509647466x
A word from Chez TJ
Attentive service, fresh flowers and soft music surround guests at this intimate, Michelin Starred, restaurant in downtown Mountain View. Inside a lovely Victorian home, Executive Chef Jarad Gallagher creates a contemporary French cuisine that accentuates the vibrant, fresh flavors found naturally in high quality products. Chez TJ's leads guests through an exciting evening of culinary pleasure. Our prix fixe style encourages a relaxed and enjoyable evening of dining and conversation. Four dining rooms provide an intimate setting for a special dinner with family and friends. One Star Michelin 2012 Guide, "Top Restaurants 2007" SF Examiner, "Three and 1/2 Stars" - San Francisco Magazine and San Jose Mercury News. Top Scores, Zagat & Gayot Dining Guides 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Chez TJ - Best Restaurants in Mountain View ›
Chez TJ reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (49)fit for foodies (41)romantic (41)notable wine list (26)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- AmazingPerlDined on 8/26/2014Our compliments to the genius chef. Plates were beautifully presented and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014A little bit to the expensive side if you choice the optional replacement course but overall experience was great.Special Features:
- Way downhillHomieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Where do I start...met confusion at greeting and some dazed looks. The server seemed to either not understand the menu well or, more likely, lacked skills to communicate properly. Overall, food choices seemed substandard. I went with Wagyu beef and Iberico choices that had flavors so subdued as to be bland. Other than the main server, the other wait staff were attentive and sharp, albeit, the wine bucket was brought just in time for the last pour.
- DinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had full tasting menu. Inconsistent dishes. Foam is very passé. Desert is below average.
- Fantastic experience!DuMarcDined on 8/12/2014I could not have selected a more perfect restaurant to celebrate my better half's birthday! We are self-professed foodies, and were delighted to have been served amazing dishes from a generous and varied tasting menu! I especially appreciate how the kitchen was able to easily adjust to my better half's lacto-ovo vegetarian diet -- she savored every bite! The staff was incredibly pleasant and worked so well as a team to keep our bellies happy! I love the ambience of being in a 5-star restaurant housed in a cute little home ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of their Michelin starDrceatsDined on 7/23/2014We lost our reservation to Manresa because of their fire, so we had to quickly find another spot. Chez TJ was wonderful! We were impressed with each item from the chef's tasting menu. Beautifully prepared and delicious. I am amazed the chef and staff are able to do so much in a small kitchen. We did not need the caviar or the truffles or a cheese serving (extra cost), but we decided to go for it because our caviar experience in the past was equal to fishing bait on chips. Although those extras were wonderful, they were not needed because everything else was superb. The young serving staff worked very hard to help us have a fabulous dinner. We would suggest this one to others and we would go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2014A bit disappointed with the abbreviated Tasting Menu: Portions adequate, but missing some of the advertised dishes. Thought that if we ordered the abbreviated one, larger portions would suffice. Left the restaurant still hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousAlexDined on 7/17/2014Fabulous food and outstanding service! I love Chez TJ!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A brand new experience everytimeEva1Dined on 7/15/2014Chez TJ can always be counted on for a foodie meal. We celebrated our anniversary dinner there this week and it was a memorable meal for a memorable occasion. As always the menu was new and exciting and the wine parings perfect. For this occasion we threw away our restraint and ordered the special wine parings, caviar, and extra courses we did not regret a bite!. The caviar (mid range choice on the menu of Caviars) was delicious and worth the splurge just for the fresh beignets and cream fresh that accompanied the dish. The main course up grade was loin of Wagu beef, which seemed to us a cross between beef and foie gras -amazing. There is no question this restaurnt deserves its outstanding reputation.Special Features:
- senzanomeDined on 7/11/2014Interesting and unusual menu very meticulously prepared, explained patiently by very well-trained and happy wait staff. It is absolutely a tasting menu; each "dish" is literally a taste, two small bites at most, even garnish is limited to one small cube of fennel or kohlrabi, one half of a radish, one nickel-size ball of farro; diners selecting the "abbreviated tasting menu" may find themselves underfed unless they feast on bread. Very interesting wine pairings including some older vintages if you choose that approach. The space is comfortable, the flatware is Christofle Restaurant, the wine glasses are mostly Riedel, but nothing here will win design awards. It's and old house repainted, but not a head-turning remodel.Special Features:
- A Nice Treatcakelike6Dined on 7/10/2014We live in San Francisco and wouldn't have known of Chez TJ if it hadn't been for a wonderful deal they were offering for the Chef's tasting menu. Along with the 8-course set menu, we were offered an additional treat (I had am amazing grilled octopus) as well as an extra cheese selection with our cheese plate. The food was delicious but what really made it for me was the excellent service. We had a wonderful young lady (from Texas) who checked in with us throughout the night and offered up suggestions and gave us bits of information about the dishes - it really made the experience so much more enjoyable. While this wouldn't be somewhere I'd go all the time, I'd definitely go again and would happily recommend Chez TJ to others.Special Features:
- MJKmjtkDined on 7/9/2014We had eaten at Chez T J's about 4 times in the past; it was excellent. We had not eaten there for a many years until this week. We were informed that a new chef came on board about 1 1/2 yrs. ago. For those that want art instead of food, you will love it!! It was very expensive for what we got. We will not be back.Special Features:
- Amazing In Season Flavor CombosOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/8/2014The atmosphere is amazing, and everyone you encounter is knowledgeable and polite. A great start! Unfortunately, the menu is confusing. The font is difficult to read (with these over ornate letter Fs, tightly cramped text lacking space). We wanted the 4 course meal, but it was confusing how to pick. A separate listing for 4 courses would be useful. The food was all amazing, no complaints! I ordered the wine pairing, and found it odd the wines were not listed on the menu - and one was a beer! I love beer, but it didn't really work here. The wine pours were very stingy (my friend ordered a glass and had easily 4x as much in one glass than I did per wine/beer). Our server was sometimes difficult to understand, but the food was AMAZING!Special Features:
- Good food but bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014service was horrendous. one waitress was rude to us and was not attentive. no one ever refilled our glasses of water or wine. no one checked in on us to see if we needed anything. the food was good but the pace of the courses was inconsistent.Special Features:
- As good as everbobpDined on 6/28/2014I used to eat here more frequently, but since I'm on the east side of the bay now I have to go out of my way to eat here. It's always worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014Been here once before with original chef, that was an experience and when I saw a travel zoo promo, thought it would be a good choice for our anniversary. Had big hopes, but ultimately wasn't that impressed the second time. Y you go here for the food and what should be Michelin star service. I have to say both were unworthy Food was dull. There wasn't one dish that just jumped out. Service was good at best to start, but we were basically ignored halfway thru dinner. They topped off our water and champagne once and were gone. despite empty glasses on both counts. They offered caviar and cheese menus but with little explanation and a lot of attitude. Felt like a car dealer selling the undercoating package. So sad for what was once great.
- Romantic EveningLostAirmanDined on 6/20/2014The service was excellent - quick, responsive and attentive. The food was interesting, flavorful and beautiful. The wine pairings complemented the food wonderfully. It was a lovely and romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez TJ reviewdinerTomDined on 6/11/2014The ambience, service, and food quality of this French restaurant is impeccable. Great converted Victorian style house in Mountain View. Parking may be difficult in evenings, but it is worth the challengeSpecial Features:
- We love Chez TJlovecheztjDined on 6/7/2014We have been to a few one star Michelin restaurant and Chez TJ is way better than their competition. Every year we like to come to Chez TJ for our special occasion celebration. Chez TJ has never disappointed us. Every time we get a complete different tasting menu and every dish is exceptional. There is a ton of creativity in the food. The other restaurants like Plumed Horse or Alexander's Steakhouse to me are just good with execution, but not a lot of creativity. Chez TJ's service is also exceptional. The first time we went there they printed a menu with my husband's name on it to celebrate his birthday. Chef signed and wrote "cooked with love". Not sure why they stopped doing so afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewMarkDined on 5/30/2014They want to consider offering more options to choose from the now fixed menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revival!scotDined on 5/24/2014Back up to George's elevated standards, I'm glad to see!Special Features:
- Didn't live up to expectationsJWalTDined on 5/22/2014I heard so much about a wonderful dining experience at Chez TJ but not impressed. Pretentious. Nothing astounding about presentation. Would have been nice to know that they offered ONLY a prix fixe dinner after ordering wine and a caviar appetizer. I would like to have been able to choose my own app and entree from the not-so-exciting selection and get the portion size I would expect--fine-dining portion size (NOT Chili's). A fish course (can't remember what type) came as a big, tough, unappealing chunk. Neither my husband or I felt great the next morning.Special Features:
- Sb23Dined on 5/20/2014Hi, The Food wasn't exceptional. We had to pour the wine several times. The waitress interrupted us when we were discussing.Special Features:
- Tired and overratedTerroiristaDined on 5/17/2014Resting on past laurels. Decor is hideous. Service was patronizing. Was shown $$$$ caviar menu and $$$ tasting menu without being offered regular menu without asking for it. For the price and the hype, we expected so much more. It was just OK. Not a good value for the money. There are not many fine dining options in Mountain View, but just accept that and go to one of the many casual places. Save your money for a nice dinner in the City by the Bay.
- Culinary experiencedavidzamboniDined on 5/17/2014We have returned to Chez TJ on multiple occasions. The dining areas are perfect for intimate conversation, the service is first class, and the menu is a wonderful culinary experience every time. The personal visit from the chef is always the perfect touch. We look forward to our next visit to Chez TJ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatReincarn8Dined on 5/17/2014Perhaps we are a bit spoilt, given the other 1-star/2-star Michelin restaurants in the area, but we were a bit underwhelmed with the food. Usually, with other restaurants, almost every course is either great or OMG, but I thought a few at Chez TJ fell flat for me. What did standout for us was the octopus and the 2 pastry dishes - they were refreshing, "summery" and a welcome departure from the typical chocolate or dairy-based treats....I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/7/2014Love this place. The food is incredible and we went for a friends birthday and had a fantastic time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spot for a special eveningmichaelbiermanDined on 5/3/2014We love coming to Chez TJ for special occasions. They are happy to work around our dietary restrictions without compromising the experience.Special Features:
- The following 830 reviews are from the Chez TJ reviews archive.
- OlgaOlgawaveDined on 4/30/2014Servers were poor with snobbish attitudes Rushing us through our dinner Argumentative when asked our birthday cake to be brought out before the house desert knowingly that we agreed to pay for the cutting fee
- glovesmVIPDined on 4/30/2014I had high expectations for a Michelin starred restaurant. The menu and dishes were delicious, slightly small portions that left you feeling full but not too full. The Wagyu supplement was melt-in-your-mouth. The service felt a bit clumsy and disjointed - we had rotating waiter staff, sometimes interrupting our conversation. A few times, it looked as though they were bringing our next plates before we were finished and cleared of our previous plates. Also, in terms of the service/kitchen, the dinner portion seemed to come out fairly smooth and seemed to slow down exponentially for the 4 desserts. We had to wait a bit as perhaps they were serving dinner to the other diners. We were also placed in the side room, which was quite noisy.Special Features:
- Great experienceChiKuoDined on 4/3/2014Came here more than 10 years ago - was very French then, now, it is more Californian, a good change to me.. The service was good, food was excellent, the wine paring was good except the dessert wine - too sweet to my taste...Special Features:
- WonderfulDragonflyVIPDined on 3/29/2014It was a lovely experience ! The food was so delicious especially the lamb. Our waiter was very good. He really added a nice touch to the dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dining experiencePaulRVIPDined on 3/28/2014Having dined in many similar restaurants in San Francisco and new York, i have wanted to try chez TJ for many years and my friends and I were not disappointed. The food was really exceptional. We selected the wine pairings which although pricey were interesting and an excellent complement to the food. The service was very good and not overpowering or pretentious like some of this style of restaunat can be. The owner/chef came out to talk to us which is always a great touch. The dining rooms which are simple and not oppulent, are in a small house which makes for a cozy atmosphere. I will definitly return and recommend that my foodie friends dine at Chez TJ.Special Features:
- AmazingKtizzDined on 3/27/2014Such a wonderful restaurant. Pleasantly surprised; this restaurant had been on my go-to list for a while. I celebrated my 25th birthday here with my worldly parents and had the best time. Not only was the food outstanding but the sommelier was honestly the highlight of the night. The wine pairings were unique and the sommelier, James, was even kind enough to email us the wines that we tasted that night. Overall the experience was far beyond our expectations and we will certainly be back very soon. A+++!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service and ourAgentLotusVIPDined on 3/22/2014Impeccable service and our sommelier, James, was truly knowledgeable, and opened our eyes to some stellar wines. The food was top-notch, innovative, and delectable, and we cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2014Amazing experience from start to finish. Dishes were creative, full of flavor, exciting. In house breads were all delicious, desserts were also delicious! Will definitely be back soon. Highly recommend. I had the a5 kobe which was mouth watering and delicious, the octopus dish was the best octopus I have ever had in my life!Special Features:
- Extremely DisappointedloveocDined on 3/8/2014We are so disappointed at the dinning experience from this restaurant. The food was not in par with other restaurants in this category. Too salty and not enough use of different ingredients to bring out the actual flavor of the food. The ingredients used in each dish do not come well together. Service was not attentive and without making an effort to bring what we really want. We had to ask for bread and water. Seating arrangement seem to be selective, who get to sit at the main dinning area.
- chez t.j.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2014The food was good, but very over priced, more expensive for some michelin starred restaurants. The interior is old and musky, not befitting the food being served, a spruce up of the interior would enhance the experience.Special Features:
- amazing!JackieDined on 2/25/2014The food is amazing! We loved this place and the service!Special Features:
- Unique RestaurantilyaDined on 2/22/2014I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a very special night dinner or enjoys unique gourmet food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.