938 Villa Street
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cheztj.com/
- Phone: (650) 964-7466
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesdays - Thursdays 5:30 to 9 p.m.
Fridays-Saturdays, 5:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jarad Gallagher
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chez TJ offers four private dining rooms that can accommodate 8 - 30 people. Please call or email at email@example.com for more details.
- Private Party Contact: George Aviet 6509647466x
A word from Chez TJ
Attentive service, fresh flowers and soft music surround guests at this intimate, Michelin Starred, restaurant in downtown Mountain View. Inside a lovely Victorian home, Executive Chef Jarad Gallagher creates a contemporary French cuisine that accentuates the vibrant, fresh flavors found naturally in high quality products. Chez TJ's leads guests through an exciting evening of culinary pleasure. Our prix fixe style encourages a relaxed and enjoyable evening of dining and conversation. Four dining rooms provide an intimate setting for a special dinner with family and friends. One Star Michelin 2012 Guide, "Top Restaurants 2007" SF Examiner, "Three and 1/2 Stars" - San Francisco Magazine and San Jose Mercury News. Top Scores, Zagat & Gayot Dining Guides 2007.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Chez TJ - Best Restaurants in Mountain View ›
Chez TJ reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (28)romantic (26)fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (16)notable wine list (16)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Service doesnt meet for one star restaurant.CJT2457879Dined on 11/15/2014very noise during the dining time. can heard lound and clear what happened in the kitchen even the staff were arguing. service is not good compares to other one star. feel very unprofessional and not organize only one menu to choose from which is dfferent from what website shows...
- For a special celebrationStanfordFanVIPDined on 11/14/2014All the courses were delicious and beautifully displayed. It was interesting to have small tastes of unusual items I rarely if ever would order - abalone, Wagyu beef, kidney, Russian caviar and others. The tastes were so small, I worried that my husband and I would leave feeling hungry but we felt full at the end. It was a spectacular meal, but for the high cost, I doubt we will do it again in the near future. It is definitely a special occasion spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SalesTravelerVIPDined on 11/14/2014restaurant was very quiet upon our arrival but by the time we left it was extremely noisy. The rooms do not contain any noise dampening elemnts that we could detect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary DelightLivluvsavorVIPDined on 11/12/2014An amazing and spectacular experience with taste buds firing with pleasant and intriguing notes from both the platings and the wine selections. The Somm was excellent and the wait staff superb. The chefs creations and presentations were delightful. Truly looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously artisinal foodFredDined on 11/8/2014Our first visit to Chez TJ was magical, food was truly imaginative, service was stellar in that the staff attended to us as if we were truly special guests. This second visit was a step down, not in the enjoyment of the food, but in the service we received from the somalier in training, as was our assumption. She could not recommend based on the fixed menu and when the 3 oz wine pours seemed short, we asked if she had finished the pour, and she informed us it was the glass shape. A much better approach would be to explain why, and add a touch more. Another notable error was that our full tasting menu experience would take 4 hours. Too bad, an otherwise wonderful neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Excellent Mountain View RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/7/2014Chez TJ rivals french restaurants in the city but is close to home and very unique. The staff is very knowledgable of the menu and wine list and the kitchen produces excellent, imaginative cuisine. The experience was the best I've ever had and will go back again.Special Features:
- superbChrisDined on 10/18/2014Dining at Chez TJ is one of life's peak experiences. Everything- the atmosphere, the house made breads and rolls, the beautiful presentation is exceeded only by its flavor, the pacing of the meal is perfect, the wine pairings with each course are amazing. The best 2 1/2 hours my wife and I have spent together in a long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as alwaysmvdiningDined on 10/14/2014Perfect for a romantic night out! Love the ambience, service and food.Special Features:
- DisappointedlechatDined on 10/14/2014We were very excited to coming back to Chez TJ after three years, but it seemed everything was changed since then. Not attentive waiters, over-priced foods, disappointing dessert... Waiters should know how to talk to customers; don't say, "Hi guys!". We know we won't go back again.
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceDaveBDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Chez TJ and had an outstanding dining experience. From the moment we were greeted at the door and through out the different courses we experienced first class service. We included the wine pairing with our meal which I would recommend, James their Sommelier provided a wonderful explanation of each wine, where the grapes are grown and a history of the winery. The one thing I will say is that the bill is not for the faint of heart but for a great dining experience worth the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place for date nightFamilyFirstDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I went out for a special date night dinner. The tasting menu was great, but took about 3 hours. The wine pairing this time was a little disappointing compared to other times. Food was the usual high standard for quality and creativity. It somehow manages to be a romantic atmosphere even though someone is coming to the table every few minutes because of the tasting menu to set, serve, or clear the dishes. We have been there few times over the last decade, and I'm sure we will be back again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great price performanceluv2eatndrinkVIPDined on 9/2/2014Nothing spectacular. Over priced for something mediocre.
- Wonderful food & service, expensiveAlexDined on 8/29/2014Without question, the food was quite wonderful. It was varied, had creative combinations, and was presented beautifully. The wine pairings were unusual and perfect. Service was faultless. It is very expensive.Special Features:
- AmazingPerlDined on 8/26/2014Our compliments to the genius chef. Plates were beautifully presented and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014A little bit to the expensive side if you choice the optional replacement course but overall experience was great.Special Features:
- Way downhillHomieVIPDined on 8/15/2014Where do I start...met confusion at greeting and some dazed looks. The server seemed to either not understand the menu well or, more likely, lacked skills to communicate properly. Overall, food choices seemed substandard. I went with Wagyu beef and Iberico choices that had flavors so subdued as to be bland. Other than the main server, the other wait staff were attentive and sharp, albeit, the wine bucket was brought just in time for the last pour.
- DinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014We had full tasting menu. Inconsistent dishes. Foam is very passé. Desert is below average.
- Fantastic experience!DuMarcDined on 8/12/2014I could not have selected a more perfect restaurant to celebrate my better half's birthday! We are self-professed foodies, and were delighted to have been served amazing dishes from a generous and varied tasting menu! I especially appreciate how the kitchen was able to easily adjust to my better half's lacto-ovo vegetarian diet -- she savored every bite! The staff was incredibly pleasant and worked so well as a team to keep our bellies happy! I love the ambience of being in a 5-star restaurant housed in a cute little home ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of their Michelin starDrceatsVIPDined on 7/23/2014We lost our reservation to Manresa because of their fire, so we had to quickly find another spot. Chez TJ was wonderful! We were impressed with each item from the chef's tasting menu. Beautifully prepared and delicious. I am amazed the chef and staff are able to do so much in a small kitchen. We did not need the caviar or the truffles or a cheese serving (extra cost), but we decided to go for it because our caviar experience in the past was equal to fishing bait on chips. Although those extras were wonderful, they were not needed because everything else was superb. The young serving staff worked very hard to help us have a fabulous dinner. We would suggest this one to others and we would go back.Special Features:
- The following 853 reviews are from the Chez TJ reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2014A bit disappointed with the abbreviated Tasting Menu: Portions adequate, but missing some of the advertised dishes. Thought that if we ordered the abbreviated one, larger portions would suffice. Left the restaurant still hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousAlexDined on 7/17/2014Fabulous food and outstanding service! I love Chez TJ!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A brand new experience everytimeEva1Dined on 7/15/2014Chez TJ can always be counted on for a foodie meal. We celebrated our anniversary dinner there this week and it was a memorable meal for a memorable occasion. As always the menu was new and exciting and the wine parings perfect. For this occasion we threw away our restraint and ordered the special wine parings, caviar, and extra courses we did not regret a bite!. The caviar (mid range choice on the menu of Caviars) was delicious and worth the splurge just for the fresh beignets and cream fresh that accompanied the dish. The main course up grade was loin of Wagu beef, which seemed to us a cross between beef and foie gras -amazing. There is no question this restaurnt deserves its outstanding reputation.Special Features:
- senzanomeDined on 7/11/2014Interesting and unusual menu very meticulously prepared, explained patiently by very well-trained and happy wait staff. It is absolutely a tasting menu; each "dish" is literally a taste, two small bites at most, even garnish is limited to one small cube of fennel or kohlrabi, one half of a radish, one nickel-size ball of farro; diners selecting the "abbreviated tasting menu" may find themselves underfed unless they feast on bread. Very interesting wine pairings including some older vintages if you choose that approach. The space is comfortable, the flatware is Christofle Restaurant, the wine glasses are mostly Riedel, but nothing here will win design awards. It's and old house repainted, but not a head-turning remodel.Special Features:
- A Nice Treatcakelike6Dined on 7/10/2014We live in San Francisco and wouldn't have known of Chez TJ if it hadn't been for a wonderful deal they were offering for the Chef's tasting menu. Along with the 8-course set menu, we were offered an additional treat (I had am amazing grilled octopus) as well as an extra cheese selection with our cheese plate. The food was delicious but what really made it for me was the excellent service. We had a wonderful young lady (from Texas) who checked in with us throughout the night and offered up suggestions and gave us bits of information about the dishes - it really made the experience so much more enjoyable. While this wouldn't be somewhere I'd go all the time, I'd definitely go again and would happily recommend Chez TJ to others.Special Features:
- MJKmjtkDined on 7/9/2014We had eaten at Chez T J's about 4 times in the past; it was excellent. We had not eaten there for a many years until this week. We were informed that a new chef came on board about 1 1/2 yrs. ago. For those that want art instead of food, you will love it!! It was very expensive for what we got. We will not be back.Special Features:
- Amazing In Season Flavor CombosOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/8/2014The atmosphere is amazing, and everyone you encounter is knowledgeable and polite. A great start! Unfortunately, the menu is confusing. The font is difficult to read (with these over ornate letter Fs, tightly cramped text lacking space). We wanted the 4 course meal, but it was confusing how to pick. A separate listing for 4 courses would be useful. The food was all amazing, no complaints! I ordered the wine pairing, and found it odd the wines were not listed on the menu - and one was a beer! I love beer, but it didn't really work here. The wine pours were very stingy (my friend ordered a glass and had easily 4x as much in one glass than I did per wine/beer). Our server was sometimes difficult to understand, but the food was AMAZING!Special Features:
- Good food but bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014service was horrendous. one waitress was rude to us and was not attentive. no one ever refilled our glasses of water or wine. no one checked in on us to see if we needed anything. the food was good but the pace of the courses was inconsistent.Special Features:
- As good as everbobpDined on 6/28/2014I used to eat here more frequently, but since I'm on the east side of the bay now I have to go out of my way to eat here. It's always worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014Been here once before with original chef, that was an experience and when I saw a travel zoo promo, thought it would be a good choice for our anniversary. Had big hopes, but ultimately wasn't that impressed the second time. Y you go here for the food and what should be Michelin star service. I have to say both were unworthy Food was dull. There wasn't one dish that just jumped out. Service was good at best to start, but we were basically ignored halfway thru dinner. They topped off our water and champagne once and were gone. despite empty glasses on both counts. They offered caviar and cheese menus but with little explanation and a lot of attitude. Felt like a car dealer selling the undercoating package. So sad for what was once great.
- Romantic EveningLostAirmanDined on 6/20/2014The service was excellent - quick, responsive and attentive. The food was interesting, flavorful and beautiful. The wine pairings complemented the food wonderfully. It was a lovely and romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez TJ reviewdinerTomDined on 6/11/2014The ambience, service, and food quality of this French restaurant is impeccable. Great converted Victorian style house in Mountain View. Parking may be difficult in evenings, but it is worth the challengeSpecial Features:
- We love Chez TJlovecheztjDined on 6/7/2014We have been to a few one star Michelin restaurant and Chez TJ is way better than their competition. Every year we like to come to Chez TJ for our special occasion celebration. Chez TJ has never disappointed us. Every time we get a complete different tasting menu and every dish is exceptional. There is a ton of creativity in the food. The other restaurants like Plumed Horse or Alexander's Steakhouse to me are just good with execution, but not a lot of creativity. Chez TJ's service is also exceptional. The first time we went there they printed a menu with my husband's name on it to celebrate his birthday. Chef signed and wrote "cooked with love". Not sure why they stopped doing so afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewMarkDined on 5/30/2014They want to consider offering more options to choose from the now fixed menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revival!scotDined on 5/24/2014Back up to George's elevated standards, I'm glad to see!Special Features:
- Didn't live up to expectationsJWalTDined on 5/22/2014I heard so much about a wonderful dining experience at Chez TJ but not impressed. Pretentious. Nothing astounding about presentation. Would have been nice to know that they offered ONLY a prix fixe dinner after ordering wine and a caviar appetizer. I would like to have been able to choose my own app and entree from the not-so-exciting selection and get the portion size I would expect--fine-dining portion size (NOT Chili's). A fish course (can't remember what type) came as a big, tough, unappealing chunk. Neither my husband or I felt great the next morning.Special Features:
- Sb23Dined on 5/20/2014Hi, The Food wasn't exceptional. We had to pour the wine several times. The waitress interrupted us when we were discussing.Special Features:
- Tired and overratedTerroiristaDined on 5/17/2014Resting on past laurels. Decor is hideous. Service was patronizing. Was shown $$$$ caviar menu and $$$ tasting menu without being offered regular menu without asking for it. For the price and the hype, we expected so much more. It was just OK. Not a good value for the money. There are not many fine dining options in Mountain View, but just accept that and go to one of the many casual places. Save your money for a nice dinner in the City by the Bay.
- Culinary experiencedavidzamboniDined on 5/17/2014We have returned to Chez TJ on multiple occasions. The dining areas are perfect for intimate conversation, the service is first class, and the menu is a wonderful culinary experience every time. The personal visit from the chef is always the perfect touch. We look forward to our next visit to Chez TJ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatReincarn8Dined on 5/17/2014Perhaps we are a bit spoilt, given the other 1-star/2-star Michelin restaurants in the area, but we were a bit underwhelmed with the food. Usually, with other restaurants, almost every course is either great or OMG, but I thought a few at Chez TJ fell flat for me. What did standout for us was the octopus and the 2 pastry dishes - they were refreshing, "summery" and a welcome departure from the typical chocolate or dairy-based treats....I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/7/2014Love this place. The food is incredible and we went for a friends birthday and had a fantastic time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.