82 14th St.
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezspencer.net/
- Phone: 4158642191
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Thursday: 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm Friday- Saturday 5:30 pm-10:30 pm Sunday- 5:30-10:00 pm Closed Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French
- Executive Chef: Laurent Katgely
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for availability and information or email at firstname.lastname@example.org ask for Hilary.
- Private Party Facilities: Email for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Jessy Jones 4158642177
- Special Events: Your invited to join Le Cercle Rouge (the red circle) purchase a Chez Spencer gift certificate from now to May 20, 2012 and 5% will go to Glide Food Bank and you get membership into Le Cercle Rouge. Go to www.chezspencer.net to find out more.
A word from Chez Spencer
Chez Spencer is an elegant French restaurant and bar tucked away on 14th Street. Rolling gates open into a flowered garden with a fully covered heated patio. The restaurant is set in a soaring, loft-like space with a wood-burning oven at its center. Chef. Laurent Katgely has won glowing reviews from The New York Times, Gourmet,GQ, Conde Nast Traveler, etc. Chef Laurent has been on Food Network- The Great Food Truck Race, TLC- Top 10 Fab Food Trucks,Best Food Ever and Oprah Winfrey Show . Chez Spencer opened Spencer on the go- French Take-Away truck, which is parked on Folsom & 7th St, Wed- Sat starting at 6:00pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chez Spencer reviews from OpenTable diners
- New Favorite RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2013I've driven by this restaurant a dozen times and wanted to try it after seeing it reviewed on Check Please. I was not prepared for the beautiful interior with arched wooden beams framing the high ceiling or the casual elegance I encountered. The food choices were excellent and everything we ordered was superb. We enjoyed every bite and sip of wine in a comfortable but beautiful ambience.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2013Was very disappointed in both the food and the service. I had been to the restaurant a couple of years ago and had really enjoyed the food. This time I was shocked at how mediocre/poor the food was. $30 steak was overlooked. Food was under seasoned. Soggy pastry on the escargots lollipops - they clearly been baked ahead of time and reheated. Only redeeming quality was that the waiter was kind enough to let us tast several wines to allow us to pick the wine that would pair best with the food. What happened to this place??
- Notes on Chez SpenceririshiceDined on 5/25/2013The menu was a little hit and miss. The sweetbreads were wonderful, the scallops very good (though not knock-me-to-my-knees good), the chocolate lamb was wonderful, the asparagus (what there was of it) was good, The parmesan risotto was ordinary and over priced (I make better at home), and the filet mignon was surprisingly tough (for filet), but had a wonderful sauce of morel mushrooms and with some kind of truffle infusion. All said, I don't think I'd go back, and if I did I'd be very selective in my choices. Our server was polite and efficient, a bit distant, no special good vibes. I loved the ambiance with jazz in the background and the feeling that you'd found a hip secret hideout.Special Features:
- Not as special as pastOldsohoDined on 5/18/2013Food not as carefully prepared as past. Squab over cooked. Steak brought out too rare. An ambitious menu nice wine list. Attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- Near ACT Theatre Mission ArmoryrobertDined on 5/17/2013Popped in for dinner before a play at the armory. Reservation was for 5:30 which allowed plenty of time for dinner before the play. Try the asparagus and the beet salads - ExcellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inside? Outside?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013I want to start by saying that our meal at Chez Spencer was amazing. Unfortunately the seating or staffing situation that evening seemed less than ideal. We were seated in the front area away from the main dining room and rarely saw our waiter, or he us. It took ages before we had someone come to take our order. Though I liked the ambiance in the 'outside' seating area next time I'll request the main dinning room as the staff seemed very dotting of the patrons there. Regardless I would like to return as it is a treasure of a place and I'm sure they will sort this thing out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spot in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/12/2013The ambiance at Chez Spencer is pitch perfect--understated elegance meets romantic French garden. Plus, the food is spectacular, standouts include the asparagus, filet mignon, scallops, and the cod. Haven't been disappointed yet!Special Features:
- So, soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013Food quality and taste were were acceptable and "typical" for a restaurant in this price range but not outstanding. The best dish were the seared scallops. The setting may be viewed as trendy by some guests and as sub par by others.
- Great DateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2013We had a fantastic evening! Everything was delicious. Entrees are $30+, which was a little steep...but overall a great date spot!Special Features:
- Great new spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/3/2013We had this restaurant on our must do list for some time now. We ate there on our 35th anniversary. The food is fabulous and such a romantic space. Next time we will try the patio outside. Prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food. Be sure to check this place out.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening.TobalaVIPDined on 5/1/2013Celebrated an anniversary there and it was special...not noisy and very good friendly service. My husband had a Sweetbread appetizer and they were the best we've had anywhere. Ihad a butter lettuce salad with superb dressing. For the main course I would highly recommend the duck in a lovely sauce (not too sweet) with small light crepes and venison which was extemely tender and flavorful. We shared profiteroles for dessert that were yummy with a dark chocolate sauce which I would have liked more of. Athough it is a bit pricey, I would highly recommend Chez Spencer for a special occasion or just a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I made the reservation inOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2013I made the reservation in advance and they called to confirm on the dinner day. We got there on time but spent 5 minutes find a parking spot. when we arrived, the hostess informed us that our table was not ready and the guests were having dessert. she offered patio seating but we declined and wait. the hostess was very nice and kept us informed. we waited 10 to 15 minutes and was offered next available table inside. the foods were great except when we ordered two desserts and they brought out 3 desserts and charged us 3 portions. we didn't order but paid for it. two were the same dessert. we would have order the 3rd dessert different than what they brought out. one thing - food odors can really got on clothesSpecial Features:
- Delightful treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2013I don't have a single negative thing to say about Chez Spencer. The entire experience was a delight. Would recommend it as a 'must' to anyone living in or visiting San Francisco.Special Features:
- I really enjoy this restaurant.susbuzzVIPDined on 4/16/2013I really enjoy this restaurant. It has a very relaxed feeling with really good food and very friendly and efficient service. I recommend this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2013Very intimate, great place for a romantic date. The food was delicious and the service was elegant with out being stuffy. I am looking forward to comeback again.Special Features:
- My date ordered the tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/7/2013My date ordered the tasting menu & had the truffled mushroom soup which was rich and very good, had the pan seared scallops which were the best she ever had, and the filet mignon which was cooked perfectly. I had the butter lettuce salad which was very good due to the dressing and the Parmesan risotto which also was good. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Always terrific! My go-toT8SDADDined on 4/6/2013Always terrific! My go-to place when important guests are in town. Great wines, cozy atmosphere, delicious food.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.OTUserDined on 3/30/2013Excellent food and service. A very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- It's a wonderful dining experience.robtDined on 3/29/2013It's a wonderful dining experience. The one thing that did not feel quite right was the Bus person was not friendly at all and a bit rude. The waiter was Fantastic. The food was very good, but a bit pricy.Special Features:
- A Little DisappointingArbitratorVIPDined on 3/24/2013Across 14th Street from the Wag Hotel, you enter Chez Spencer literally through a hole in the wall - once in, you're in a high ceilinged, loft-like room with a semi-industrial feel. The food is French - the preparation last night seemed a little off - I had sweetbreads that were almost perfectly sauteed, but were then doused with a vinaigrette that was so sharp it puckered my mouth; the lamb was beautifully grilled, but it was tough - very tough; my wife's filet mignon was well seasoned, but the morel and maitake sause was unaccountably watery. Service was friendly, but after taking our order, our waiter simply disappeared. At $160 for two that's a pretty steep proposition.Special Features:
- One of our favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2013One of our favorite restaurants in the City. My wife and I celebrated our 7th Anniversary here on Sunday.Special Features:
- Never Going Back!KsmoVIPDined on 3/22/2013After researching this restaurant, my husband & I were excited to celebrate our Anniversary at Chez. Unfortunately, our server was unattentive, lacked professionalism and had no personality, at least with us. We had ordered a bottle of wine & we had to keep filling our glasses since our server rarely ever came over to our table & when he did he didn't pour our wine or even ask how everything was. We couldn't leave quick enough, we ended up going back into Union Square to a newly opened wine bar where they were friendly. Since we were so UNimpressed with our server we can't remember his name but on the receipt it's server #8. He needs to take lessons from Meghan at Kuleto's; she's friendly, professional & attentive.
- Very innovative menu withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2013Very innovative menu with a fine array of choices. Wine a bit pricey. Excellent service, attentive but not pushySpecial Features:
- Excellent food! bit of waitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Excellent food! bit of wait for table 9very crowded)Special Features:
- Reservation made no differenceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/16/2013Rude hostess - we were not seated for over 30 minutes after our reservation, and with no apology for this delay. Their bar service was frustratingly slow as well. Won't be going back.
- Great food, amazing ambianceWhittDined on 3/16/2013Service a little spotty--forgot to bring out water for us 15 minutes after we sat and desserts (it was my birthday) went out to the wrong table--the one next to ours--but the ambiance and quality of food (while expensive) made up for it. The server, I must say, was very informative and helpful in helping us determine what to order.Special Features:
- We were here for a birthdaykarinDined on 3/16/2013We were here for a birthday celebration which I specified on the Open Table website. Without a reminder they brought a card and candle with the dessert- a very nice touch. The service was good, though they want ed to whisk plates away too quickly. Another waiter nearby had a loud piercing voice that raised noise levels considerably. The food was quite good. The escargot lollipops were dry but perhaps they were meant to be. I ordered the lamb rare and it was definitely not rare. Most of the pieces verged on well done. It was so tasty, though, that I ate without complaint. This restaurant had seating for large parties as well as strategically placed intimate seating. A good special occasion spot for dinner.Special Features:
- I've had drinks at the barMlsfVIPDined on 3/15/2013I've had drinks at the bar at Chez Spencer a couple of times over the past year, but hadn't stayed for dinner. The ambiance is really fantastic - a beautiful building, with spare but very tasteful decor...a great place for a quiet friday night wind-down dinner. Food was quite good across the board. The venison and sturgeon were great, lamb good and duck ok. Appetizers were generally strong (beet salad, asparagus, escargot lollipops). Dessert (profiteroles) was great. The service was ok. Our waiter was not particularly friendly and seemed sort of annoyed when we asked for recommendations (I hate the "it depends on what you like" answer). I like to hear a little more excitement and passion about the restaurant's offerings.Special Features:
- Always a great experience.IOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/3/2013Always a great experience.I appreciate the fact that it is consistent.Special Features:
- A very fine restaurant, attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013A very fine restaurant, attentive and friendly staff.Special Features:
- BravoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/26/2013We loved the menu and the waitress was very friendly. We ordered 1. Red & Gold Beet Salad: Love the generous size of the beets because many other places serve small dices or few slices. Touch of the blue cheese is excellent. Refreshing & satisfying overall. 2. Morrocan Eggplant: The is something very special about the dressing. Perhaps I liked the slight spiciness so I used my bread to soak up the dressing. 3. Escargot Lollipop Puff Pastry: The moistness, slightly flakiness of the pastry and the escargot blended very well together. In fact it was hard to tell apart which is the pastry and which is the escargot when I bite into it. 4. Pan Seared Tai Snapper Consome: We ended our savories with this light broth and fish dish. Perfect!Special Features:
- The food was outstanding.WeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/24/2013The food was outstanding.We especially loved the Sturgeon as a main course, and the scallops appetizer. Our main waiter seemed a bit distracted and inattentive, but the host stepped in and helped us with wine and made sure we were being taken care of. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the dishes. It was quiet and romantic, we liked the ambiance. We will be back.Special Features:
- One unfortunate side effectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013One unfortunate side effect of the open kitchen being so close to the tables, was the frequent smell of cooking fish wafting over guests. Not appetizing, especially if eating meat. Other than that, everything is very solid. The outdoor space is great.Special Features:
- It lived up to its reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2013It lived up to its reputation and I had longed to have dinner there.Special Features:
- Loved everything about ChezsalseraVIPDined on 2/17/2013Loved everything about Chez Spencer! The ambiance, food, and service are notable. I love that it is a little gem tucked away in the most random part of the Mission district.Special Features:
- food was all very good. ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013food was all very good. our main server wasn't overly friendly or attentive but not rude either, all the other servers like the water girl came around often and were very nice. would definitely go back sometimeSpecial Features:
- Put quite simply: A wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013Put quite simply: A wonderful experience and Laurent is the best. John R.Special Features:
- Beautiful gem in the heartOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/13/2013Beautiful gem in the heart if the mission. We live in the neighborhood an were pleasantly surprised by ambiance, which was quite nice. The servers seemed to be amateurs, not knowing how- when to fill wine glasses, remove plates, etc.Special Features:
- Very responsible staff, deliciousMBBBVIPDined on 2/9/2013Very responsible staff, delicious food, lamb & duck, fine French wine list, great table overlooking the kitchen.Special Features:
- Even though the restaurantKrakVIPDined on 2/8/2013Even though the restaurant was still 1/3 empty when we left, we were sat outside with heaters that were too hot, and loud-blaring Jazz. Food was okay. Wine list is poor given size/pricing/SF location. No need to ever go back.