451 Manhattan Beach Blvd
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266Neighborhood:
Manhattan Beach / Hermosa Beach
Modern EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezsoirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3108021212
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
Daily: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Mark Gold
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Our staff of event planning is at your disposal whether you are hosting a business breakfast, luncheon, dinner, wine tasting or sumptuous cocktail reception. Let us attend to your entertaining needs with chef Mark Gold’s thoughtful cuisine, impeccable service and an ambiance that delights the senses. Our event manager looks forward to taking personal care of your custom printed seasonal menus, specially tailored wine pairings, take home gifts, musical entertainment and so much more. Please contact us to plan your next event in a style that reflects Chez Soi spirit of hospital.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant accommodates seating for up to 120 guests or standing receptions for 180 guests and may be subdivided into three seperate rooms. The smallest room accommodates an intimate group for 2 -14 guests. When the salon is subdivided, each room is entirely private. Contact our private dining department for current menus and pricing.
- Private Party Contact: Thierry 3108021212
A word from Chez Soi
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chez Soi reviews from OpenTable diners
- Worst EverOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2013Worst waiter, worst service and food was a mess! Nothing we ordered came out in the right order nor did it come with what it said it came with! Even the cocktails were so bad I had to return them all!!! First time I EVER LEFT A 15% tip!!! Bar scene was pretty cool because the DJ was good but I didn't want another cocktail that tastes like dish water!!! I live a couple blocks away so I was extremely disappointed in the new Restaurant. Sashi was MUCH better!Special Features:
- It's an just OK. Not all that rave.RickthetravellerDined on 7/13/2013On a Saturday evening at 8:00 pm they were already out of the only 2 pasta plates they offer, and out of one of the 2 fish plates they offer. Someone is not doing a good job forecasting the supplies orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give Chez Soi a tryabc123Dined on 7/13/2013Chez Soi has terrific food, wait staff and wine list. Their menu is diverse, complete with very traditional French dishes coupled with some interesting seasonal dishes which have a slight Japanese flair. The preparation and presentation was excellent. Overall a great new addition to the burgeoning Manhattan Beach restaurant scene.Special Features:
- I liked it very muchCelebratedAnniversaryDined on 7/3/2013I made reservations via Open-table the same day I attended. I attended on a Wednesday night. It was pretty empty. The music setting was just right for the occasion. The Bar & Lounge area is a lovely sight. I dined outside for the night and ordered my alcoholic beverages through the waitress. I was surprised the restaurant carried Hennessy. My date & I were seated outside that night. The view was awesome. The waitress was very accommodating. I could see myself returning here for a lovely anniversary celebration once again. I do wish to try the bar & lounge area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New MB spot for great food!HermosaFoodieDined on 7/3/2013Interesting menu with the standout being Corn Ravioli, Lobster Udon Noodle, Octopus and the Burrata Cheese w/ peaches & procuitto, and the fried chicken. We brought champange and they gave us free corkage since we also ordered 2 bottles of wine. Wine prices were very reasonable and a nice selection. The menu is seasonal and we will defitely be back to try the new creations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in an outdoor settingDinaDined on 6/30/2013The food was very tasty and we all enjoyed what we ordered. One of the salads seemed rather small for the price ($14). Some of the items on the website menu, which brought us there, were not on the menu when we arrived. We ate rather early and not only was the music loud, but the children playing in the plaza were also making a lot of noise. The service was OK.Special Features:
- Amazing!TeamOrange82Dined on 6/29/2013Dining at Chez Soi was an extraordinary experience. The staff were wonderful. Chef Mark Gold came out and greeted us. The food is exquisite! Whether you go for a casual brunch or dinner/or a romantic interlude. The food and ambiance is beyond words. So simply amazing. Love, love, love this place!!!!! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LikesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2013Comfortable Bar lounge. Mixologist insures the perfect drink by bartenders. I will return to the bar for their happy hour. Dining area very nice outdoor seating or indoor that is open. Food. Octopus with chorizo, lobster with noodles, morel mushrooms, salmon were great. Wine was reasonably priced. Very relaxing evening. It will get popular since there are not many places with this level of food in the South Bay. Downstairs Parking lot is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageLoveToEatDined on 6/24/2013Service was good, server was friendly. Food was average and pricey. The best part of the meal was the rolls and French fries.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/21/2013I expected more from the dishes we ordered. The coq au vin didn't have any semblance of wine in its overly brown sauce. My duck breast was over- cooked so was a bit tough and rather bland. It will be sometime before we give Chez Soi another chance.Special Features:
- Very good food, uneven serviceWineLoverVIPDined on 6/20/2013We used to go frequently to chef Mark Gold's previous restaurant, Eva. His new Chez Soi has food that equals Eva. It has only been open for a short time, and it shows, as the sevice was uneven, and the the wine's that we ordered were both out of stock. We got our main course well before we were done with our first course. The new space is much more comfortable and roomy than Eva. It is a long drive for us, but worth it. Chez Soi has the same Sunday dinner deal that Eva had (a 4 course dinner served family style + wine) for $39, which we will try if we can get there on a Sunday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Soi - New to South BayluveditVIPDined on 6/18/2013Had a nice experience at Chez Soi. with some friends. Shared many of the menu's dishes and enjoyed the great fresh flavorsSpecial Features:
- We were there for Father'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2013We were there for Father's Day. I was just sort of surprised that it wasn't shown on the site that they had a special Father's Day menu rather than the regular menu since one of the diners doesn't eat red meat or chicken. The chef was very accommodating and the food was excellent, however, it was rather embarrassing since I had made the reservation thinking that my guest would have several options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUD Band Food NOT as StatedpkrevVIPDined on 6/16/2013Greeted by a LOUD bad band at door.Confirming phone call said Father's Day $45 Fixed Price menu INCLUDED wine,said had a 14 yr-old diner,offered a Kids Menu of chicken.Asked if corn ravioli was available for kid, told they could do it, had A La Carte menu, asked for it to be noted on reservation. NOT.Very FIXED menu price was $49 NO wine,loud waiter said gal I spoke w/was misinformed,did offer wine but we refused.No a la carte menu.One salad on Family-Style served menu had 3 wedges,2 eggs,2 tiny "special",per waiter, tomato slices.He pointed out flowers on chicken dish,we leaned in and saw none.2 fatty prime rib slices for 3.Waiter kept calling it STEAK to diners!Chocolate cake best, but given serving spoons to eat with?Pleasant on patio.Special Features:
- Good StuffOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/14/2013Excellent signature cocktail menu, reasonably priced. The menu diverges from today's small plate menus (Why should I have to share my tiny portion of food with everybody else at the table?) but stays true to the farm-to table approach. The menu has some tasty treats like the octopus/chorizo, the chopped salad and the fried chicken. Next time, I'm sitting at the bar for the bottomless moules frites and a beer.Special Features:
- Not GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2013I was not impressed at all. Small menu, the food took forever and it was not good at all. My steak was practically cold and my friend's fish was over cooked. The waitress had an attitude and she did not know the beers on tap.Special Features:
- Missing something...BragigirlVIPDined on 6/14/2013This is a tough review to write. While three of four dishes we liked very much, the restaurant seems to be missing it's passion, it's heart. Service is okay, but not engaging. We were told the Japanese tomatoes were from Japan. Really? The sous vide duck had good flavor, but was mushy and strange tasting after a few bites. Wanted this new spot to be more alluring to get us back; but not accomplished.Special Features:
- Incredible seviceFASHIONSUZVIPDined on 6/12/2013I have to say the the wait staff is as good as any I have seen. Our waiter, Ray, was knowledgeable about the menu and very attentive to our needs. The servers were also amazing making every effort to be as professional as possible. The one thing that was unusual was the owner. He had insisted that the hostess have him seat all the guests, which is a lovely tradition, however he was unavailable when we checked ahe said nothing, just took us to the table, left the menus and abuptly left. To be honest, it was off putting.Special Features:
- Fabulous meal. Delicious food,OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/8/2013Fabulous meal. Delicious food, great service, beautiful space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mad props to the chef at ChezOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/8/2013Mad props to the chef at Chez Soi! He chooses his ingredients carefully, and really lets each one shine in the dishes he prepares. The smoked and grilled peach that accompanies the gorgeous burrata, for example, added a lovely twist to an already lovely plate. The corn ravioli were delicate and deeply flavored - a wonderful surprise of texture and flavor. And the duck confit poutine was pure comfort food - simple and complex all at the same time. All of this was served in a relaxing atmosphere by attentive and unpretentious staff. A winner all around - thank you!Special Features:
- Second visit was a hugdisappointmenOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/7/2013The first time I went to Chez Soi it was amazing-food, service, and ambience. Unfortunately, my second visit the service was horrible. We couldn't find our gal to save our lives. We had to remind her several times of what we ordered. She never came back to ask if we had everything we needed after the main dishes were served so one of our guests didn't have silverware for 20mins so we all waited until she could get some silverware so all of us could eat our cold food. It's unfortunate I was very excited after our first visit here about this place. I recommended it highly after our first visit, but now I wouldn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HaphazardPhilDined on 6/5/2013We noted the previous mixed reviews but decided to take a chance that the restaurant had gotten through its groing pains and sharpened service and cuisine.Our waiter was very nice but not overly attentive. The octopus apetizer was not very tasty though the crab louie was delicious but lacked crab. We waited a long time for the entrees. The coq au vin was very good, the duck meager and dry, our twosteaks were very tender though we order them medium well and one came out on the rare side. Two entrees came out at once then we waited approximately 15 minutes for the steaks. We had the feeling that the chef and staff were self satisfied. The wait staff was friendly but not motivated, the kitchen disorganized and the food was rather bland.Special Features:
- Food good - service spottytrojanVIPDined on 6/5/2013We enjoyed our meal but the server(s) made multiple errors and the attention level was low. I think the meal took 2.5 hours. The restaurant was not crowded so that was not the problem. The quality of food is very good.Special Features:
- What a neighborhood GEM!KarlfDined on 6/3/2013Its really about time we have a notable restaurant in the Southbay. It took someone with the West Side experience to travel south to open a very fine establishment.. The food is exceptional and the service staff is second to none. Very attentive to detail and friendly. Makes you feel at home. Thank you Chez Soi!Special Features:
- Fries?GenconmhpVIPDined on 6/2/2013We ordered duck and got one leg/thigh on top of a bed of fries. We told the server we didn't want fries and she took them and offered no alternative. The lobster was good but overpriced.Special Features:
- Great food finally has arrivedMarekPVIPDined on 6/2/2013Great food finally has arrived in Manhattan Beach! Love the fried chicken and French toast on the weekend brunch menu. The eggs Benedict were also awesome. Hope the restaurant does well and becomes part of the Manhattan Beach dining scene for good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still working out the kinksOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/30/2013Before we went, I had seen the mixed reviews. So, I wasn't surprised by our inconsistent experience. Some things were very good, like a nice beet salad, and others need to be done better, like the duck confit served on a huge pile of French fries that ended up being just too oily and hard to work with, or the pork that would be great with a sharp knife. It has great potential, and I hope the management will make the changes necessary to improve. (They told me they are revamping the entire drink menu, so changes are coming)Special Features:
- Season your foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2013We really wanted to like this restaurant because it's in a great location with a nice patio. The service was not bad. The kampachi appetizer was so small it was difficult to share. The salmon entree was cooked perfectly but had no salt or seasoning whatsoever. The octopus had great texture just no seasoning. A little salt would've gone a long way.Special Features:
- First, maybe the last!SteveoDined on 5/30/2013Walking into Chez Soi is very pleasing, in fact it is why we went there after walking through a week before. Unfortunately, the shine came off the silver very quick! The beer we ordered they had just run out of so we had to wait while they plugged in a new keg, which took another 10 minutes. They were very nice about this error (not being prepared to serve the beers listed on the menu) and they gave us 1/2 half of a glass complementary. The main complaint, however is small menu and wait staff needs to be very familiar with all items available!
- Delicious food but menu isOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/30/2013Delicious food but menu is limited and portions were small when compared to price. If they would add a few more choices and make the entres more substantial, I would rate them 4-5 stars easily. Drinks were spectacular. Very good bartender and the service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great time. WinesSUSANVIPDined on 5/29/2013We had a great time. Wines great. Hamachi awesome! Service, (our waiter was experienced and friendly; a Boston native), and the chef relaxed present and friendly.Special Features:
- Chez SoiElizabethVIPDined on 5/25/2013Excellent corn ravioli and udon noodles with Lobster. Kitchen was slow to bring up food but think they are still working out the kinks of being new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez so soOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/25/2013I had a grilled baby rommaine salad which had too much green and not enough dressing. A little over grilled. I ordered the prime steak frittes, steak was excellent, frittes (belgian fries) showed up half way through my meal, as I had to remind waiter that they were missing. My meal came with broccoli which was over grilled. My wife complained that none of her meals were seasoned, she had the apple fennel soup, and two appetizers as her entree- pork belly and duck confit. She complained about the pork belly, it was almost inedable and we had to ask for a steak knife to cut. The people sitting next to us were complaining about there burnt meal.
- Chez so soZimboVIPDined on 5/25/2013Was expecting a lot more atmosphere and attentive service. The food left no lasting impression other than some burned chorizo with the octopus appetizer. Fried chicken was so and the risotto mainly bland. My favorite part of the meal was my Moscow Mule.
- Amazing foodJepco123Dined on 5/25/2013We got the family style 4 course meal for the table. It was really good. I would reccomed the restaurant if your in the area. In fact I would put it at the top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I had brunch atMarekPVIPDined on 5/24/2013My wife and I had brunch at Chez Soi. The fried chicken was amazing, in fact one of the best I've ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/19/2013tasty food with a bit of French touch. We tried the chef's tasting menu on a Sunday and were pleased with the service. We were surprised to get Southern style fried chicken as the first of the 2 mains but it was delicious. Second main was more typical French: center cut steak and fries with a light mayo or creme dip.Special Features:
- Great evening. Good startslave2tasteDined on 5/17/2013Comfortable setting. Nice Mixologist bar-enjoyed the wait for guest (8). Reservation. French influence on Californian. Fresh local ingredients. Tasty. Udon noodle with Lobster. Octopus. Duck confit. Prime Cote de Boeuf (excellent). Butterscotch & chocolate deserts. Nice, reasonable wine list. Expect this restaurant to generate a solid regular crowd who appreciate the food, drink & setting. The Summer will produce lunch crowd and busier outdoor bar scene. Don't understand some of the Yelp 1 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBeachFoodieVIPDined on 5/17/2013We had a reservation, with a specific request for a patio table. We were led to small inside table near the kitchen door. We asked for an outside table that we had requested, . Owner said they were full but sit in the bar and he'd see what he could do. After about 15 minutes, they gave us a table outside. Still many open tables. Vodka martini full of ice chips and very watered down. I sent it back and got a good martini. Oysters - good. Grilled octopus was rubbery chewy. It just wasn't right. Hamachi was excellent. Our mains came while we were barely started on the appetizers. They prepared fresh plates for us the second time around. Lobster ramen good, not $37 good. The halibut was flavorful, but on the dry side.Special Features:
- Welcome to Manhattan Beach!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/17/2013I went to Chez Soi on Friday night for dinner with two other couples and I could not have been more pleased! I felt like I was instantly in a cool, hip restaurant in Culver City or somewhere in the westside that you just can't find here in Manhattan Beach. The food was excellent, people were dressed up, and for the big group the server didn't miss a beat. Best kept new secret in MB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.