Chez Philippe - Peabody Hotel Memphis
149 Union Ave
Memphis, TN 38103Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
Chez Philippe - Peabody Hotel Memphis
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.peabodymemphis.com/
- Phone: 9015294188x
- Hours of Operation:
Afternoon Tea: Wednesday - Saturday: 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Andreas Kisler
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: One semi-private room that holds 16 people. Reservations for groups of 10 people or more can only be made through our Catering Sales Manager, Leslie Potter.
- Private Party Contact: Leslie Potter 901-529-3675x
- Special Events: Master Tasters Wine Club meets first Wednesday of every month except July. Four wine tastings along with paired cheese course. Conducted by Peabody Sommeliers. Season passes available for $150 or $25 for each event. Please call Lyndsey Westberry for details at 901-529-4183.
A word from Chez Philippe - Peabody Hotel Memphis
The Peabody's Hotel signature restaurant is the epitome of exquisite dining; featuring a menu of classical French cuisine. With impeccable service, distinguished wines and an atmosphere beyond compare, Chez Philippe remains the pinnacle as Memphis' only Mobil Four - Star Restaurant. Southern Afternoon Tea is served by reservations only; Wednesday through Saturday from 1:00 to 3:00pm; 24 hours advanced notice required.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Chez Philippe - Peabody Hotel Memphis - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Chez Philippe - Peabody Hotel Memphis reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
romantic (22)special occasion (20)fit for foodies (12)notable wine list (11)vibrant bar scene (1)neighborhood gem (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- RomanceKimberlyDined on 9/13/2014We enjoy trying new restaurants. Chez Philippe staff made us feel special by catering to our every need as well as their top notch service. Definitely something for our memory book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ExperienceSmallTownFoodieDined on 9/12/2014The service was exceptional. They make sure to serve your dishes at exactly the same time. The presentation is beautiful. We had the five course meal. I had the wine pairing. What I found was that each dish ranged from a 3 to 5 star on taste. Presentation was always 5 star. The wine pairing could bump up a 3 star dish to a 5 star. The pairings were beautifully done. I really liked the Lobster Bisque - it had a lemony flavor and went perfectly with the wine. I enjoyed the cheese plate for dessert. My dining partner liked the souffle dessert and the tomato/shrimp appetizer. The dishes tasted best to us when you mix all the flavors together, rather than separately. Also, we found that there was plenty of food.Special Features:
- Amazing restaurantGonzalofromSpainDined on 9/5/2014I highly recommend this outstanding restaurant. Everything was simply perfect, service, atmosphere and food. The lobster cream was really unforgetable. One of the best restaurants I have ever been, in addition, it has an extraordinary value for money. Exceptional.Special Features:
- My wife's favorite restaurant USAEJjr7854Dined on 8/23/2014I worked in Paris a LOT over the years, and the places in France are different. Best example - Mexican restaurant/food in USA here and in Mexico City are not the same. Let some of your folks do some in country OJT and update your service styles. French waiters and cooks - you need to form your own opinions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An elegant mealthellamabaronDined on 8/1/2014For our first trip to Memphis, my wife and I decided to eat dinner at Chez Philippe at the Peabody. Service was very prompt and efficient, if a bit cold. We each ordered the five course menu and tried the buffalo, NY strip, sea bass, salmon, lobster bisque, french onion soup, caesar salad, green bean salad, the "american desert" and the souffle. All of the dishes were quite good, and the steaks were cooked as ordered. Stand outs were the NY Strip, soups, the sea bass, and both deserts. After dinner, we took drinks up to the roof, which is worthwhile. The hotel is a Memphis must see, so you might as well have a great meal while you are there!Special Features:
- Special Food and Special PlaceFoodLoverbutNotifIcookDined on 7/30/2014A wonderful evening with outstanding food and service. (Don't let the price scare you away. You can easily spend the same amount in the "other" restaurant in the Peabody and the food and service aren't very good.). Highly recommend this restaurant for a romantic evening or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBrianVIPDined on 7/30/2014Long time Memphian, but first time here. Amazing food and excellent wine list. Be back soon!Special Features:
- Great food and service.. appealing!LarHarDined on 7/26/2014Very pricy, but a wonderful venue for a special 1st and 25th wedding anniversary dinner. The food was excellent. Service: The best. I rated the ambience down because we were too close to the entrance which is just behind the bar and lobby to the Peabody Hotel. The lobby was full of noisy people (Sat. night) as you would expect from a popular busy hotel. Even though muffled, some of the outside lobby sound made it way into the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LorezapDined on 7/17/2014Not what it advertices. Food all right, but NOTHING extraordinary. Service had a lot to be desired off for the "quality" of the restaurant.Special Features:
- PretentiousFoodieDined on 6/20/2014We were excited to dine at this restaurant, which sounded like a great food experience. Our actual experience was extremely disappointing. The lobster, shrimp, and mussels were all undercooked, and the dishes which included them were overcomplicated. The menu overall was precious and pretentious. Despite the fact that neither of us really ate much of the food, no one inquired why. The only good things were an excellent wine list and a knowledgeable and helpful sommelier.
- 18marbetDined on 6/20/2014Truly a remarkable dining experience...the food was excellent and the presentation was beautiful. Service was impeccable and ambience second to none. Would recommend to anyone who loves fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced but GoodCanWalkTo5StarsDined on 6/14/2014Had everything going for it except for the wine and bar beverage pricing. Food was very good but too many flavors combined in each item (especially the Bison) -- creative and inspired but not always hitting the mark. French Onion Soup: great, Desserts: unique. Service, food quality, presentation, and atmosphere were excellent. Not for those on a budget but probably the nicest place in town for a romantic special occasion. Can't beat the beautiful Peabody Hotel as a back drop and the attentive service!Special Features:
- BeautifulWonderfulDined on 6/12/2014A wonderful place to celebrate our anniversary! Food was beautiful, delicious, amazing...perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Amazingjrue5Dined on 5/30/2014Took my girlfriend here and had an absolutely wonderful time. Very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 289 reviews are from the Chez Philippe - Peabody Hotel Memphis reviews archive.
- Top NotchSeekingoutthebestDined on 5/17/2014Spectacular room, superb food and excellent service. We were on a two week road trip stopping in 8 cities seeking put top restaurants, this was by far the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014Strip steak was tough very Dover sole too salty and a bit cold when presented Crab and barley appetizer excellent Arugala salad very goodSpecial Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014The chef at Chez Philippe has put together a fantastic menu! Wine list is extensive and the wine pairings are great!Special Features:
- Enjoyable, Enticing and Exquisiteluv2eatDined on 5/2/2014The meal presentation was beautifully executed and accompanied by food that was off the chart delicious. Every bite will make you hum. And, it doesn't stop there, the service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itBoopDined on 4/18/2014I really enjoyed my dinner at Chez Philippe. It was great. The food and service were second to none. Thanks for making my anniversary great and unforgettable. Love it. and I will be back.Special Features:
- AnniversaryLuv2trynewtgingsDined on 4/16/2014We went there for our anniversary. It was phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElegantMMstyleVIPDined on 3/28/2014I had a five course pairing and my date had the seven course wine pairing. Everything was completely amazing!! Gorgeous restaurant and perfect those with high standards in food and wine! Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive Yet TerribleWillyCriticDined on 3/22/2014Ambience: rococo. Drink: I asked for a Pernod before dinner. I understand that not everyone is familiar with pastis aperitifs, but it's a $200 per person FRENCH-THEMED (Chez Philippe!) restaurant. The waiter hadn't heard of it. Food: Five-course meal. My wife's two main courses were terrible (old fish--ick!), although the glazed walnuts in her starter salad were good. I ordered duck and venison (to go with our wine plan). They brought the venison BEFORE the duck?! I'm not trying to be high maintenance, but fowl before meat is not a SECRET rule in chef's school. People plan wines to go lighter to darker, like their meat. No apology; the only explanation was "you both ordered duck". Total cost: $650.00 for 2. Never again.
- Pros and consTheFurstsDined on 3/8/2014Many of the dishes felt cold as if they came out of the refrigerator. Ordered filet mignon & sun-dried tomatoes, it came with no sun-dried tomatoes. When you order medium and the chef recommends medium rare, stick with medium their medium rare is rare. Chilean Seabass and Hemp was really good. Pheasant was delightful and the wine pairing was magnificent. The experience of a five course meal with wine pairing was fun. Salt and pepper was needed. Beautiful decor & ambiance, nice, friendly staff. Soufflé tasted like French toast. Peppermint marshmallow was weird and not in a good way. Overall was a good celebration of our wedding anniversary. Best part was using a gift card we got for a bonus and not having to foot the bill. Very expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid tablenashofteethDined on 2/22/2014The only thing that excelled our high tea at the Peabody was the exceptional experience of dining there at night. It was simply one of the best meals I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerNshaheenVIPDined on 2/22/2014I love this place. It's uppity and stuffy, but that is exactly what I was looking for - to be catered to. Our waiter was great and my favorite is the choreographed plate placement, so nice. Seriously, the food is amazing and dramatic. It's pricey but no more than the other high end restaurants in town. Thank you Chez Phillipe for a great date night with my hubby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2satisfiedres42Dined on 2/20/2014Chez Philippe has an elegant dining room which was quiet and comfortable. The soft lighting created the perfect ambience for our dinner. Our entrees were served by a professional wait staff who were informed about the prepared dishes. They also shared interesting facts about the history of the restaurant and hotel . The food was visually and aromatically stimulating, not to mention delicious! Along with the offered wine pairing for each entrée including dessert, the meal left my husband and myself very satisfied. The martinis are also great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation problemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2014We made our reservations weeks in advance. We confirmed our reservation the day before when we received a phone call from the restaurant. When we arrived at Chez Philippe we were not on the reservation list! However we were seated and had a good experience. It was quite disturbing to not have our reservation though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The PeabodyBenNNatchezDined on 2/1/2014My wife, Melinda, and I spent a wonderful weekend in Memphis to see Wicked, and enjoy The Peabody. We had dined at Chez Philippe several years ago, and wanted to return. We were very happy we did; the entire experience was wonderful. The service was attentive, yet subtle. The food was amazing! And the Chef even came to the table later in the meal to see how we were, and if we had any suggestions. Overall, we felt like the entire evening was great!! We highly recommend Chez Philippe as a MUST DINE when in Memphis!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I saw 2 menus online becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/3/2014I saw 2 menus online because I have to find special items that my wife would eat. One menu had several items however upon arrival that was not the case. Only one menu was presented and my wife was very disappointed that I chose that particular dining establishment. Needless to say she ate very little.
- anniversarybohica8rDined on 12/28/2013The meal was fabulous! Awesome staff. Definitely will come back to visit soon. This place made our anniversary a special event.Special Features:
- The best of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013World class and the finest restaraunt in the southSpecial Features:
- Overwhelmed by priceNooneDined on 12/20/2013The entree needed more seasoning. Wanted salt but has anyone ever seen a salt and pepper shaker in a gourmet restaurant? How insulted would the Chef be if we'd asked for salt?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday dinner everwafflesDined on 12/18/2013We decided to try Chez Philippe for a special birthday and had the most wonderful experience ever. The food, the service and the entire experience was the perfect setting for a romantic celebratory dinner. We have definitely decided to make this an annual occasion.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our eveningImmallynnDined on 12/12/2013We really enjoyed our evening and found the food to be incredible. Very different menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving bountycarloDined on 11/28/2013Excellent dinner with a veritable bounty of holiday favorites prepared with a Classic French touch. This is a far cry from the usual holiday menu. We will make our 2014 reservations,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningDTGirl13Dined on 11/23/2013We visited during Downtown Dining and I was very impressed at the attention given to the food and service at this introductory price. The food was expertly prepared and presented and the service was excellent in a quiet, elegant atmosphere. I visited two other "fine" restaurants during Downtown Dining week and the quality of food was not as good as expected. That was not true at Chez Phillip - it was an excellent experience that exceeded my expectations and fellow diners agreed. We especially enjoyed the rich wine sauce and the beautiful vegetables cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2013We came here for downtown dining week and were not impressed. While the entrecôte that we ordered was very good, the butternut squash soup was just alright, and the dessert was about as tasty as cardboard. Yes, it was a special $20 menu, and together with a bottle of wine, we spent a fraction of what dinner usually costs there. But for almost $100 I still expect to have better service than a Denny's. Our waiter stopped at our table a grand total of 3 times. I spent dinner sawing through my steak with a butter knife because our waiter wasn't around to ask for a steak knife. And gratuity was added on to our check for our table of 2. There are much better places in Memphis to spend your money if you are looking for great food and service.Special Features:
- Fantastic CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013I realize Downtown Dining Week is a mad rush for all the downtown Memphis restaurants and I'm sure making a $20.13 meal while still maintaining their normal standards is difficult, but I was not disappointed by Chez Philippe. It was everything I had hoped it would be and I look forward to visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceJdluv2dineDined on 11/22/2013Everything is special at Chez Phillipe. The atmosphere and decor are beautiful and result in a relaxed dining experience. The entire staff is attentive and the food is outstanding. This was my first dining experience at Chez Phillipe but will definitely not be the lastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedGriffDined on 11/20/2013I have been to Chez Philippe before and the food for downtown dining wasn't good. Last year we went and it was excellent. This year it wasn't good at all.Special Features: