Chez Papa Bistrot
1401 18th St.
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
Potrero Hill / Dogpatch
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Chez Papa Bistrot
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chezpapasf.com/
- Phone: (415) 824-8205
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Sat 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Sun-Thu 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sat 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chez Papa caters on request for private events.
- Private Party Facilities: Chez Papa can accommodate private parties for up to 40-45 people for all your occasions.
- Private Party Contact: Marc Sempere 4158248205
- Special Events: 2 Course Lunch Menu at $17.95 everyday...
3 Course Dinner Menu at $34.95 from Sunday to Thursday...
Enjoy a selection of our best dishes with these amazing prix fixes menus...
A word from Chez Papa Bistrot
Chez Papa features authentic French Provencal Cuisine in a casual bistrot setting. We are open for lunch Monday to Saturday and for dinner everyday!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chez Papa Bistrot reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (26)romantic (14)special occasion (14)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent for before performancce light snackPreShowDined on 11/22/2014I eat here before I perform with the Bay Choral Guild in St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church. Excellent small plates, great wines. A great place to meet friends or to impress your date. Very French. The French touch with the cuisine and the wines. It even impressed my French friend, who has high expectations of restauranats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made me feel at homeDavyVIPDined on 11/21/2014As a French, I was very glad to see that folks there were actually French - Not another pretend French restaurant. Food was just like home. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Customer Service!!CalifoodiemanDined on 11/15/2014We decided to dine here one evening before heading to the theater.. never being here before always makes me a bit nervous considering we don't know what to expect. We started with a bottle of wine and salads, which i must say were delicious! We then ordered our entrees and the waiter was very informative going over the specials beforehand, he had a very cheerful demeanor which get all of us into a comfortable mode. Well we all received our entrees and we noticed one was incorrect. We immediately told the waiter and he did not waste any time to have the chef prepare the correct dish, he was extremely apologetic and came by at least 3 times to make sure we were OK.. The correct entree came out within 7 minutes... very quick in my book considering the amount of people which already filled the restaurant. The meal was absolutely delicious. Half way thru the meal the our waiter came to me and whispered in my ear... "don't worry, dessert is on me tonight!" Wow amazing..... after dinner we receive, not one... but 4 desserts!!! Plus 4 glasses of a nice muscato for the entire table.... he wanted to make sure we were taken care of!! What amazing service!! Great experience and building memories with our loved ones... we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was delicious!happytoshareVIPDined on 11/14/2014The food was very tasty. Our friends really enoyed the bouillabase.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful date nightWaitingForeverVIPDined on 11/5/2014Chez Papa always delivers with a lovely dining experience where you feel acknowledged and welcome in this neighborhood gem of a restaurant. They serve a delicious Sancerre, and their mussels pomme frites are a must-have. The waiters are always courteous and very helpful...thank you, Chez Papa, for consistently making our infrequent date nights perfect!Special Features:
- love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2014I always have the best experience at Chez Papa. I'll highly recommend their food! We all did the prefix menu this time. The lamb is unbelievable. Mussels are fresh are also very good. Thanks for excisting!
- Good place in need of changeBlueMoonVIPDined on 11/1/2014We love the ambience of this tiny place, and my husband is pretty much addicted to their duck confit! We would recommend CP and have taken friends. However, with such a short menu it would really be great if chef changed it up often. The last 3 times we've eaten there, the one fish entree has been the same (black cod) and there are no vegetarian entrees at all. Keep us coming back, CP!! Also, the dessert offerings are lackluster, which for a French restaurant is surprising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid meal, no frillsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Appetizers were solid, with the Potato Artichoke Asparagus dish being quite excellent, and the steak tartar just OK. The main dishes we had, including Bouillabaisse, Flank Steak and the Lamb were solid French country food, without frills, but generally well executed. The creme brulee was below average, with the glaze too hard and the temperature warm on top and cold on bottom. The service was very French, with the waiters knowing their business, and handling the meal well, but aloof and even a bit standoffish. Overall, a better than average meal, and at a good value at the price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!BrasseurDined on 10/28/2014We dined very early on a Tuesday evening and left as the room was beginning to fill so we found noise level to be fine. The service was impeccable and mussels were top flight. For people who eat very little meat, the menu was limited and next time we will confirm offerings ahead. We will be back --- reminds us of finding a favorite bistrot when staying in France.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Always just the best. We visit every time when in SF.Special Features:
- Vacationers In SFannigolitelyDined on 10/18/2014Nice evening for small birthday celebration - party of three. Beef short rib, Lamb Daube and filet mignon were our choices, which we very much enjoyed. Good selection of wines, but instead of French Rhone we should have selected a Pinot Noir from Napa. Deserts were very good to excellent; the crème brulé being exceptional. Service was attentive but not stellar. We had a sense of being unwanted trouble to the restaurant - we did not enjoy being seated in the middle of the room, especially since we had made a reservation. Good city views from the surrounding streets. We found parking close-by even though it was saturday night. Bill for the evening: $196.00, incl. taxes but before tip. Reminiscent of Le Pégase in Montreal, Quebec.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014With the Salesforce traffic, we were about 5-7 minutes late for our reservation and found our table had been given away. The host could not have been more apologetic, seated us quickly at the bar and then at a fine table, and offered champagne for our trouble. The duck confit was just wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:
- NoiseLisaDined on 10/10/2014it got pretty loud at about 6:30--perhaps some acoustic tiles on the ceiling or other sound-deadeners? I know the former are pretty ugly... And a curtain around the doorway might keep out some of the wind--it was pretty chilly until the restaurant filled up.Special Features:
- Good BistroPleasantVIPDined on 10/9/2014We enjoyed our meal at Chez Papa. It's a cozy neighborhood place. Mussels were good (small) with great broth. The cod with leeks was also good. The creme brulee is to be avoided, poor grainy texture and unfortunate taste.Special Features:
- cute restaurantMarieHeleneVIPDined on 10/3/2014Overall it is good. The appetizers was very good. The entrees were good but not fabulous. The prices are reasonable. I suggest to have mussels that this is on the menu the best prepared dish.Special Features:
- Not for business dinnerTamaDined on 9/25/2014Very noisy and difficult to talk. Food was great. Took a while for waiter to take our order but everything else was fine. Not too slow, not too fast. Food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local go-to for special eveningsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/20/2014Another wonderful birthday dinner in our neighborhood. Great food and service in our favorite window corner.Special Features:
- Very FrenchOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/18/2014I went to the restaurant with a friend who speaks fluent French. She loved that she could speak to the waiter in French but I didn't understand a word of it. Other than that I can honestly say my lamb dish was delicious! My friend raved about her Mussels. Looking forward to returning with or without my French speaking friend.Special Features:
- Chez PapaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2014Good food and attentive service but Too Loud! With music on top of conversational din. Not relaxing or enjoyable.Special Features:
- Not up to parpotreroplanterDined on 8/25/2014I booked for four. One of the party had previously found the flat-iron steak remarkable, and at his urging all three ordered it. I ordered from the prix fixe menu - a delicious first-course elaboration on a warm potato salad and the bouillabaisse. It was delicious although I couldn't help but believe it was a special version for the prix fixe menu... heavy on the mussels, rather sparse with the other seafood. The crème brulee was perfect. Going back to the three steak orders. All three diners, including the recommender, told me privately that it was disappointing. The meat was poor quality, and not cooked as ordered, overdone. The waiter disappeared after ordering and did not return even when I specifically asked to see him.Special Features:
- Evita1VIPDined on 8/21/2014Good food, good service. Will definitely be back for more. The escargots were awesome and the bouillabaisse was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything it needed to bemeredithobDined on 8/16/2014I needed a place to take my visiting mother, husband, my BFF and her BF. It was a complicated and lively group. I was avoiding the Mission. Too cliched for a dinner spot. My mom loves food and places with fabulous ambience, we all love wine. Halfway through the amazing meal here, she said to me, "how did you know about this place?!!" I shrugged my shoulders and said, "it's earned a name for itself." And rightfully so. It's adorably French; the food was absolutely amazing (I don't say that lightly); and the service was great - attentive without overbearing... we were seated at 7:30 and they didn't once rush us such that we didn't realize it was 10pm until we walked out the door (so French of them to do that). Wonderfully lovely.Special Features:
- WAY TOO NOISYEnthusiastsVIPDined on 8/14/2014SOMETHING DRASTIC SHOULD BE DONE ABOUT THE SOUND LEVEL - IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITHOUT SHOUTING TO THE PERSON SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO YOU!!
- Nice placeBiltongmesDined on 8/13/2014Decent French restaurant on Potrero Hill. A bit on the noisy side if it's crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceTheTwoOfUsDined on 8/11/2014Chez Papa is a great neighborhood corner, the service is experienced and knowledgeable. they had a prix fix menu so I asked my waiter a wine suggestion and he very patiently asked me first what I wanted to eat, then he gave me a couple of suggestions and when he saw my indecision he offered me a little sample... I ended up ordering what he suggested and it was exactly how he described it....perfectly matching my escargot and ribs. the other server was very attentive and never left us without bread or water. It is always amazing dining there.....yeah it's a bit loud but with character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local SpotBullinTheHeatherDined on 8/8/2014Good for those of us in the neighborhood but really nothing special. Service is friendly but rushed and disorganized. Noise level is crazy loud and food is adequate to good but overpriced. Also the wine list manages to be pretty underwhelming.Special Features:
- The following 1015 reviews are from the Chez Papa Bistrot reviews archive.
- A staple for lunchFoodie2shoesDined on 7/25/2014I've always liked this place for the duck confit but sadly they no longer have it for lunch. I tried the salad with grilled shrimp and it was excellent. Went so well with a glass of Sancerre. The white bean side dish was a bit of a disappointment--not enough flavor and was a bit dry. The burgers are perfectly done medium rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ...but...NOISEY!!!!DwnToErthFoodFanDined on 7/17/2014Everything is excellent about Chez Papa. Really excellent. The food, the wine, the service (VERY unstereotypic for a French restaurant), the decor and ambiance. I could go on... everything. BUT.. the noise level was incredible!! I'm a musician and sound engineer (among other things) and I am just amazed at how LOUD this place can be. The space seems to be the perfect resonator, keeping in and amplifying the noise. It actually became painful. The sound kept me from understanding my date at all. It became so bad that we moved to tables outside. They really need to fix this problem. Its not that hard to do. I won't go there anymore if I see it with a full house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Lambdarleen907Dined on 7/12/2014It was hard to choose only one entree as there were many wonderful options, but with our server's knowledgeable help, I settled on the Lamb Daube -- it was heavenly. Extremely flavorful and very well prepared. The lamb itself was delicious, root vegetables were perfectly done and the velvety smooth sauce had a depth of flavor you don't often find -- awesome mouth feel. I had several bites of my husband's Steak Frittes and it too was divine. Chef's meat preparation was flawless in both instances (clearly only quality ingredients used here), but the sauces are standouts and reason enough to come back again and again. Service was very nice, location was a bit off the beaten path and ambiance was relaxed while still feeling "special".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still greatrpf27VIPDined on 6/17/2014We dined at Chez Papa the week it opened and many times since. However, we have not been here since 2009. To return, five years alter and to find that it is just as great as ever is, indeed, a wonderful thing!Special Features:
- Lived up to its reputationPhyllbarbDined on 6/15/2014This was my first time here, and it was a dinner celebrating Father's Day and a belated birthday. We came for the Dining About Town promotion, so had lowered expectations for the fixed price dinner. However, everything we ate was outstanding. Appetizers were beef tartare , endive salad, and beet salad (extra). All were very tasty. For main course we had beef shortribs and lamb daube. The lamb melted in my mouth and had a wonderful sauce. For dessert we had the warm chocolate molten cake, and crème brulee. Though the three of us were quite full by then, the desserts were so delicious we ate them all! Though the place was fully booked, we had very attentive service. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gem indeed...FrenchLoverDined on 6/14/2014Just finished dinner here to take advantage of the SF Dine About Town and an advanced Happy Father's Day celebration and was quite good and please with the overall food and service quality. Food - 5 STARS - 4 in our party so all of us tried all the 3 course dinner. From appetizer to dessert, it did not disappoint. All were VERY GOOD/VERY TASTY and portions was just right. Service - 5 STARS - very accommodating - very friendly/courteous and prompt. (I left a 20% + tip)Ambiance - a true Parisian Bistro - small, but at least not too tight quarters but buzzing with lively conversations.Special Features:
- Nice corner at Portrero HillDerondo5Dined on 6/10/2014I enjoyed my visit to Chez Papa Bistro. It was a small corner restaurant but very accommodating. The food was excellent and the service as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findcoachDined on 6/4/2014I thought the service and food were great. I would recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice experience in SFChiKuoDined on 6/4/20142-hour free parking in SF? this made our day already before having another nice experience in the city.. Great food with friendly ambience...Special Features:
- Food & noise are highlightsBILLVIPDined on 6/1/2014This is now a professional operation...fully staffed with attentive servers, though at a noise level when full that I found too energetic. The food continues to shine, with every dish being very tasty & well prepared. One thing I think would help is to say what order you want your dishes to arrive or the staff will choose for you in a way you may not have wanted. We had a couple of items coming at odd times (for us). Overall great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bistroMission13VIPDined on 5/24/2014Nice menu and wine list. It has a cozy feel. We take friends who are not too adventuresome in their dietSpecial Features:
- Great spot!bhemVIPDined on 5/22/2014Good was excellent! Service was very good & very friendly. Loved the bistro atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rudeonlythetruthVIPDined on 5/16/2014from the initial phone call for reservations, to our arrival and being seated and then dinner service the staff and management was consistently rude and unwelcoming, from beginning to end.
- Chez Papa dinnerTartQueenDined on 5/7/2014We arrived at 5:30 and were the first customers of the night! We were greeted and shown to a table alongside the window at the back bench. The presentation of the food, the ambience and attentive service makes chez Papa bistro a true neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.