Chez Panisse Cafe
1517 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94709Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Chez Panisse Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezpanisse.com/
- Phone: 5105485049x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Alice Waters
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chez Panisse offers private party bookings in the downstairs dining room for up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer Sherman 510-548-5066x
- Special Events: Celebrate Bastille Day with garlic, wine, and live French music.
A word from Chez Panisse Cafe
The Café at Chez Panisse, located upstairs, opened in 1980 to offer an alternative to the set menu served in the Restaurant downstairs. The Café offers a moderately priced à la carte menu for both lunch and dinner. It has an open kitchen along one side of the room with a charcoal grill and a wood burning oven. The menu changes daily and is inspired by local, seasonal ingredients. Reservations are recommended. Please call and let the reservationist know if anyone in your party requires special accommodation to access our upstairs Café dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Chez Panisse Cafe - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
Chez Panisse Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
428 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (346)special occasion (299)great for lunch (206)neighborhood gem (195)romantic (135)notable wine list (125)hot spot (53)good for groups (35)great for brunch (32)late-night find (25)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Disappointing eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014I had been to CP two years ago and it was fabulous. This time, the food and service were only OK. The place itself is as gorgeous physically as ever.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2014Everything tasted perfectly good! We will be back in no time.Special Features:
- Chez panise cafe disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014We went to the cafe for a birthday dinner. Food was tasty but not as spectacular as I had anticipated. Portions were small and looked it. Appetizer came out within 2 minutes and felt rushed. We could have been out of there in less than an hour but we ordered dessert and extended our stay. It didn't feel Aplus and it should have.I've been there many times before and will go again but my expectations have now been lowered. I hope next time I am surprisingly pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1,000 places to seeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014This is in the 1,000 places to see before you die book for the United states and world wide if that says anything!! Amazing food, service, I actually ate meal of the day: squid and it was yummy, fresh & had homemade squash soup!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez PanisseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014What a lovely meal. Fresh delicious preparation. Enjoyed a roasted red pepper soup, a chicken ragout with mushrooms, potatoes and beans. An exquisite desert of fresh figs, pears and a date. The most delicate fig I have ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CatererCatererDined on 10/11/2014Our meals were everything & more than we hoped for... wine list accompanying was terrific.. the energy of the chefs/servers was palpable...creating a wonderful atmosphere for dining..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique experienceTintinDined on 10/11/2014When I was living here, I loved to come for every special occasion. Today, as I'm living abroad, I'm looking forward to coming back to chez Panisse at least once a year and very often with friends. The food is so delicate and refined. Everything is so tasty! And I love the warm art deco ambiance. It is a unique experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We thought Chez Panisse was the best dining we have experienced in the USA. The staff are fantastic, especially the more "mature" staff. The food is fresh and the knowledge of staff is excellent when recommending various courses and matching wines. This visit was in the upstairs cafe for lunch, we had previously dined two days earlier for dinner downstairs.Special Features:
- As good as I imagine it.luv2dineDined on 10/10/2014I heard so many good things about Chez Panisse and had to try. It was as excellent as everyone said. Definitely will come back. They change the menu literally every meal, what a treat. If you are looking for a dining EXPERIENCE look no further :)Special Features:
- FabulousCarolVIPDined on 10/9/2014Chez Panaisse Cafe rocks! The flat bread was amazing, the wine was wonderful, and the service was impeccable! Great Berekely vibe ... not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply The Best!whateverDined on 10/9/2014It's been several years since we've had the opportunity to dine at Chez Panisse, and it was better than we remembered! Thank you Alice Waters for your commitment to serving real food, grown by real people! Already looking forward to our next visit when we return to the Bay Area!!!Special Features:
- The Art of Simple FoodHilliaryDined on 10/9/2014Yes, that's the name of one of Alice Water's cookbooks and it is for a reason. Simple food presented as a tasty art form. Fresh, local, and seasonal culinary delights await when you eat here. The menu changes daily so you are constantly surprised. Everything is cooked to perfection. Well worth every penny.Special Features:
- As aways, perfectRedheadDined on 10/9/2014The food and the ambience is what brings me back here with special friends, when we really want a special lunch. The waiter this time, although charming, had a touch of pretentiousness about him which kind of gave us a chuckle (we were trying to guess if he were an actor and was doing a part) but overall, it's our favorite place to get together and talk and eat fabulous food. We love Chez Panisse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Food Was Perfect!WinendineVIPDined on 10/9/2014My 2 companions and I sampled a salad with sheep's milk ricotta in it, gazpacho, a sliced beef sandwich, petrale sole & a bean soup, all of which were excellent. Each item was lovingly prepared with the freshest ingredients, and beautifully presented. We also sampled 3 desserts: The ginger cake was light and the amount of ginger in it was perfect. The huckleberry sauce was tart and a perfect complement to the lemon, and the sorbet-meringues were unique & just plain delicious. The servings were lighter than most American restaurants, so you could eat an appetizer, main course, and still have room for dessert without feeling uncomfortably full. This was probably the best lunch I have ever eaten.Special Features:
- Always Marvelous.....SrDinerDined on 10/8/2014Chez Panisse: still amazingly wonderful after all these years! Absolutely fresh, seasonal, elegant food. Love the cafe for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Temple is Still StandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014We had high expectations... and the food was superb, the service polished and poised, the salmon carpaccio exquisite, the halibut cooked to perfection in an awesome sauce with fresh veggies and beans that were delicious (ask my wife, I usually don't care for string beans), potatoes petite and only wished for more, a chocolate custard to crave for desert. Wow. Atmosphere was over the top. Our waiter, prompt, courteous, with true poise one only gains with experience. The staff all seemed in rhythm, in sync. We had High expectations and Chez Panisse Cafe lived up to them, and beyond. Someday soon, we will have to return for dinner downstairs. But, in the mean time... we came to Taste from the Temple, and The Temple is Still Standing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- myreviewDined on 10/7/2014Excellent as always. I' ve been dining there since 1990. Keep up the good food , the reasonable prices and the great Berkeley ambience.Special Features:
- Classic for a reasonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014Last trip to the Bay Area, we were not able to get in. We didn't come back just for Chez Panisse, but you really couldn't fault us if we did. It's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colorado VisitorOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2014I had read about Chez Panisse and Alice Waters for years. I had very high expectations, but harbored some hesitation that the restaurant couldn't be as good as I anticipated. The ambiance, the service, and the food exceeded my expectations in all regards. It was a lovely dining experience. There is a perfect rhythm to the restaurant. Efficient, but not hurried. Attentive and friendly, but not intrusive. If a restaurant can have a personality, Chez Panisse Cafe would be comfortable in its skin and fully aware that it is one of the very best without the slightest hint of being arrogant or pompous. Our evening was exceptionally pleasant in all regards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez PanisseanhourintheeveningDined on 10/4/2014We dined at the upstairs cafe and brought along our energetic 3 year old as we were in SF area on vacation. The staff upstairs were fantastic and put us in a corner, brought crayons and a huge paper table cloth. While the food upstairs isn't as special as the food downstairs, it was still fantastic with the same attention to detail and quality ingredients. They also do a kid's pasta and cheese and it is THE best mac and cheese I have tasted! We had a Moroccan lamb dish which my hsb loved and I had house made pasta with Gulf shrimp. They do great pasta and the sauce was superb. Great wine list with some wines unique to them and lovely non-alcoholic fizzy drinks as well. And, as always, we had the milk- don't know where it's from but yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special LunchYummyWCDined on 10/3/2014Of course you expect a special meal at one of the most storied restraunts in America, but you will not be disappointed. For a special occasion or just to spend time with someone special...GO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the WOW factor!luckyvirgo66Dined on 10/1/2014Believe it or not, I have been wanting to eat here since the 1990's. I come out here from NY almost every year. I spend most of my time visiting the wine country and SF. Every year I say I'm gonna get over to Chez Panisse but because it's out of the way and really difficult to get in. I finally made it. I must say I enjoyed my meal but it was short of wow. I guess I was kind of expecting to be left with a sense of it. I love it when I have a culinary experience that stays with you for years. Like the coconut shrimp I had in Maui at the Westin in 1992. Or the meal I had in North Beach 4 years ago. Also-our waiter, although polite, seemed tired and minimally attentive.Special Features:
- Chez Panisse Cafe: beyond compareKentuckyVIPDined on 9/29/2014This is the fourth time we have been to Chez Panisse Café and it only gets better with every visit. The Maitre'D greeted us like old friends. Our table was in the (quieter) front room. we had the same exceptional waiter as on our previous visit. The food was absolutely magnificent. My wife and I had the seafood "stew" and our daughter and son the chicken. Starters , wine and dessert were all great compliments to the main courses. All of us rated this meal as one of the best ever. What a wonderful affirmation of the consistent high quality of Chez Panisse Café on a Monday night in Berkeley.Special Features:
- What more can I sayFoodworshiperDined on 9/29/2014I don't think I can possibly add any more information that hasn't already been said about Chez Panisse Cafe other than everything was seasoned so perfectly! Not only are all of the ingredients fresh and local and wonderful but the sauces and dressings that are added only further to enhance them. From start to finish, the whole experience is excellent.Special Features:
- Thank you!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We had been wanting to come for years. It surpassed any expectations! The service was supreme and the food most exquisite, Thank you So Much!Special Features:
- 5 StarsKarenDined on 9/26/2014Delicious, fun, great service, typical Chez Panisse experience!Special Features:
- Good, not OutstandingDazarDined on 9/26/2014Our lunch and experience was OK for the level of restaurant Chez Panisse is, but it lacked in personality and overall delivery. I expect more from a $170 lunch for 2 (including wine!).Special Features:
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/25/2014I try to go to Chez Panisse Cafe whenever I go to the Bay Area on vacation, but it's been >15 years since I made it back. It was as great as ever--outstanding food (the smoked fish appetizer, haddock as entre, and apple galette with ice cream), friendly/professional service, and lovely Arts & Crafts decor. Overall, another memorable meal and one of my all-time favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- always happy to be thereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/25/2014My wife and I live in the Virgin Islands. We always try to schedule a visit to the cafe while we are here. We always love walking in to the space. We always love looking at the menu and figuring out how our whole table can taste just about everything and we always enjoy finishing our lunch and crossing the street to visit the cheese wizard Matteo to find delectables to carry home to the food desert of St Croix. This time as we at for some wine while waiting for a table, the woman who greeted us asked me how I was. When I told her that walking into the space always made me happy, she kissed me on the cheek making me even happier than I already was if that were possibleSpecial Features:
- Bucket List LunchBitmoreBrokerDined on 9/23/2014The halibut with meyer lemon zest and celery puree were to die for! We loved every bite of both our meals!Special Features:
- WonderfulStevAVIPDined on 9/22/2014Delicious from olives to dessert and great tastes--fresh, and perfect-- service was tops.Special Features:
- A pleasureSandyVIPDined on 9/20/2014I rarely get to Berkeley but w he n I do, I always try to get to Chez Pannise. It is simple wonderful food that is always stupendous! Thank you.Special Features:
- Chez Panisse still great!Look4vegDined on 9/20/2014A small group of us had lunch there on a Saturday and we were not disappointed. The setting was lovely. Each dish was arranged beautifully and tasted wonderful. The restaurant is famous for simple but wonderful food and we loved each salad, each main dish, each appetizer, and even the dessert. Every item was fresh and perfectly presented. A wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014When in San Francisco don´t miss going there, it is a good and excelent experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes, it is an Icon!BobGVIPDined on 9/18/2014After visiting San Francisco for 25 years, wife and I decided to explore the East Bay. We wondered if this ICON (there, I said it!) would live up to its fame, since it has inspired so many imitators. Quick answer: YES!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellaBellaDined on 9/18/2014This restaurant was one of the first to start the organic , farm fresh food craze and to this day it remains one of top restaurants in the area, known world wide. Definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful as alwaysCapitolCherryDined on 9/17/2014Incredibly fresh seafood and delicious, fresh, seasonal dishes. A real treat.Special Features:
- CsamCSamDined on 9/12/2014Negatives: loud, slow service with too many people serving us, food took a long time getting to table(a two hour lunch? Good thing we were on vacation), hard to find parking. Positives: Excellent food, high quality and fresh, excellent wine choices, friendly staff.Special Features:
- Always goodMackieDined on 9/11/2014Chez Panisse has become a staple of my visits to the Bay Area. In one stop, I can enjoy whatever is fresh, local, seasonal- reliably good. I don't know that much about wine, and have learned that the servers will steer me well, so I leave it up to them now.Special Features:
- Still the best in the bay!Local30VIPDined on 9/8/2014This was our first time back since the fire and as always it was wonderful. The interiors are beautiful and the food perfectly prepared. It's always a treat to go there.Special Features: