1611 South Catalina Avenue
Redondo Beach, CA 90277Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezmelange.com/
- Phone: (310) 540-1222
- Hours of Operation:
Chez Melange Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch 9:30am - 2:30pm Bouzy is open seven nights a week starting at 4:00 pm for Happy Hour and remains open until 10.30pm Sunday through Thursday, and 11.00p.m Friday & Saturday. BarComida Open Tuesday through Saturday from 5.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Michael Robertson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Michael and Robert offer Out of the Chez Catering. We are truly happy to craft any menu you desire for your next upcoming event, whether it be a business meeting, a wedding, or a get together with friends.
- Private Party Facilities: The Side Room The Side Room is our room for private parties Seats up to 32 Available for lunch or dinner The Side Room is a private area where the cuisine and ambiance reflect the seasons. If you would like a special menu or a more traditional party menu. Each evening is individually shaped and has a unique menu representing the ingredients the farmers make available to us that day. We use only the finest ingredients with a strong emphasis on locally produced, seasonal, and organic foods. This insistence on freshness is not usually found outside of the finest restaurants. Chez Mélange prepares all their foods from scratch. Our Produce, Meat, Poultry and Fish Comes from Farms, Ranches and Fisheries Guided by Principles of Sustainability Seed To Plate is a Registered Name to Chez Mélange. Some of our Vegetables and Herbs are Grown at our Seed to Plate Garden at Palos Verdes High School by the Special Education Students. We Use a Reverse Osmosis System for our Water,
- Private Party Contact: Michael Franks 3103161566
- Special Events: Chez Melange hosts monthy wine dinners. Please call 310-540-1222 for information and to make a reservation.
A word from Chez Melange
Spontaneity is the word of the day at Chez Mélange restaurant in the Riviera Village of Redondo Beach. Chef Robert Bell, co-owner, uses locally sourced and seasonal ingredients to craft a daily changing menu of world cuisine, with options ranging from pastas to sustainable fish to a bevy of pork choices. Michael Franks, front of house co-owner, will greet you with the hospitality that has made Chez Mélange a success for the past thirty years. Please also visit Bouzy, located next door to Chez Mélange. A neighborhood gastropub, Bouzy takes the best of a French brasserie, an English pub, and an American bar and grill using locally sourced and seasonal ingredients. With a seasonal selection of artisan beers and many wines by the quartino, Bouzy gastropub is Michael and Robert’s idea of the neighborhood pub. Our third destination is BarComida a hidden away tapas bar, open kitchen serving small plates and nibbles in a cozy setting. See you at the table!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Chez Melange - Best Restaurants in Redondo Beach ›
Chez Melange reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (40)special occasion (39)romantic (25)notable wine list (17)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Chez MelangedrmikeVIPDined on 11/18/2014We went to Chez Melange to celebrate our anniversary. Unfortunately, the food was disappointing, which rarely happens. My strip steak had an incredible amount of fat & waste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Perfect spot for a great dinner for two or group dinner. Great location for business dinners. Food is always good and the owners are very friendly. Consistently good. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Fantatique!!BigbrobruDined on 11/14/2014We went Saturday for a B-day dinner. We have been loving these folks since before and after they moved to the present location. Never had a bad time or meal. The owner, Michael, always makes sure everyone is doing well and enjoying themselves. The prices are very reasonable for the quality, service and ambience. And as a bonus, Chez is attached at the hip to a sister Gastropub called Bouzy's, which is great for pub grub and spiritual (so to speak) imbibing. One of our very favorite places!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently goodfdlvrVIPDined on 11/8/2014a neighborhood "institution" that is consistently good....great food; nice atmosphere; diverse menu that mixes tradition with innovationSpecial Features:
- Service to PleasechefnanaVIPDined on 11/8/2014Great service - went out of their way to please! Great food and very helpful with the selections. Plan on returning. A real find. ChefnanaSpecial Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsMindyLZDined on 11/4/2014Excellent restaurant, wonderful service, very appealing menu. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- SurprisingFelisolDined on 11/2/2014When you arrive the front section is a bar with some tables but then your are greeted by Michael the owner a very charming person then he take you to the back in a nice dinning room with lot of space between the tables. We tried a lot of appetizers like tapas style all good except for the lamb ribs with the meat hard to separate from the bone the flavour was good. All the rest was excellent. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used to be much betterrblocalDined on 10/26/2014What a disappointment. They used to be vibrant, eclectic, and excellent. Maybe its the room...lifeless, boring. the menu was like looking at a Dennys menu. Going to cm used to be a treat. That ship has sailed.
- Easy elegancemonroesmomDined on 10/21/2014I've been coming to this restaurant for at least 25 years. The food is always very good and the wine list features all price ranges. Unlike many restaurants, there is a great value wine by the glass - Rombauer chard for $8. The ambience is white linen with a relaxed feel. No stuffiness. Menu is quite large, changing daily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Restaurant.rvankoeDined on 10/17/2014The entire place from Bars to Restaurants was packed. It was a Friday Night, but definitely worth the trip. The food is good, the service was very efficient. Many things on the menu have the Chez Melange flair. You wont get the same old thing here. They have their way of preparing meals and its truly a nice change. You might not like everything the first time, but you will certainly find your favorites. This is well worth a 60 mile drive from a somewhat boring Orange County city.Special Features:
- Still great after all these yearsGerryDocVIPDined on 10/11/2014Went back to the Chez after too long an absence, and found it still terrific. Service by our French waiter was attentive and actually helpful. We both had the duck done two ways, which was excellent, and our companions had the swordfish, which they raved about. We all enjoyed our cocktails, as well. The room is dark, but not at all quiet, although other diners conversations (including the bachelorette party at the next table) did not intrude on ours.Special Features:
- The bestsiuolVIPDined on 10/9/2014I try a different item every time and it's usually the best tasting dish of that type that I've ever had. The service is outstanding. Michael Franks always makes the guests feel important.Special Features:
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014Visit frequently. Never disappointed. Food and service great. Menu changes frequently but keeps some top favorites too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a pleasant surprise!EmichelVIPDined on 9/28/2014Had been meaning to come for years and finally made it for brunch. Fabulous beignets, chocolate cherry bread French toast and creamed cauliflower & bacon with eggs. I wanted to try so many more of their items, but I'll just have to go back--for brunch AND dinner. They've got special themes for Monday evenings--wine pairings, Oktoberfest, Turkish food with a guest chef. I can't believe I waited so long to try this place! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencebiggamefoodieVIPDined on 9/25/2014I took my fiancé here for her birthday on September 25. We are starting to make this her birthday tradition as this is one of her favorite restaurants. Everything was top-shelf as per usual. Service was amazing, and even had some of their other staff come talk to us about our food, experience, etc. The one thing that impresses me about this place is their ever-changing menu. It truly reflects what's in-season and provides a new experience each time you come. They have a unique wine list, which is full of excellent selections. While we come here for drinks and food in the Bistro next door, we always treat ourselves to a meal at Chez every other month. Keep up the great work on maintaining this jem in S. Redondo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good enoughTeraDined on 9/14/2014We used to dine at Chez Melange every time we visited the area to see my mother in law. It was always busy, excellent food and charming. Since they moved a few years ago we have tried numerous times to enjoy it. The set up is strange, divided into several different eating areas and many of their brunch items we always enjoyed are off the menu. (Benedict's and Wolferman english muffins...) The dining room where they serve brunch is quiet and stuffy and the bar area is a bit dark for brunch and the outside patio is nice for pet owners. Service was good considering there was only one server who was stretched a bit thin for the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!LuvstoDineOutDined on 9/13/2014My dinner at Chez Melange is one of the two most wonderful dinners I have ever had (the other was Toro Bravo in Portland). The atmosphere was lovely and the service could not have been better. But, the star of the evening was the food. Oh the food. I had the Veal Sweetbreads with mushrooms and pasta and it was over the top good. My friend had the fish and she loved it also. We shared two vegetable sides: exotic mushrooms (can't have too much mushrooms) and carrots. I don't know what seasoning they used on the carrots but these were the best carrots I've ever had. Chez Melange also has a Gastropub named Bouzy and it is a knockout too. Try the pork bits and you'll have a little piece of heaven. Bouzy also has a great Happy Hour.Special Features:
- It's one of my long time favorites!Rawbean910Dined on 9/10/2014Excellent dinner at Chez Melange, everything was perfect. The oysters, the wine, our main course and dessert all fabulous! As always the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Seasonal MenuNY2LA1976Dined on 9/7/2014My husband and I made the reservation and mentioned it was our anniversary. They seated us at a nice quiet table in the back and delivered some champagne on the house. The menu was not extensive, but because they change it daily, based on the seasonal availability of ingredients, everything was fresh and prepared beautifully. We loved the "chips and dips" in lieu of bread on our table. The owner/manager came up to us to thank us for dining there and all in all, it was a lovely evening. We liked seeing the "edible garden" out front, used in the dishes too. We will return!Special Features:
- Let's keep it secret!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014Hidden in riviera village is this great little restaurant! The food was excellent... (I rarely write a review, but it really was outstanding). The menu is interesting, in a good way. Everything sounded good, and wanted to try several dishes. The service was great (rare in redondo). The host (and I think, owner) was friendly and proud of his food and service, with good reason--Super nice without being intrusive. We ate in the back part which was full, but didn't feel crowded and wasn't loud (another rarity down near the beach). We will be back to this neighborhood treasure, and hope soon to call it "our special place." Feeling nervous about writing this, would like to keep it to ourselves, but was too good not to recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice ambianceGastroreviewerDined on 8/30/2014The french waiter left a lot to be desired (bordering on rude and forgot a side dish I ordered) and the filet mignon was just ok, but the rest of the food, the salads, side dishes, wine, beer and desert were all excellent. I would like to try their gastropub as I think I would appreciate that more. I would guess the gastropub has better food at better prices and a more down to earth atmosphere.Special Features:
- 100%OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Always a fun time with the bonus of great food choices .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good first-time catch!FlamecoolerDined on 8/26/2014The outdoor seating would have been quieter for us. Indoors, it was nice and quiet for the first half hour, but then noisy talk from other tables was bothersome. I don't know which was more outstanding --- the food, or the exceptional service. We were made more than welcome to sit and enjoy reasonably priced cocktails while we chose our food. We selected lamb curry and lamb sirloin, both of which were surprisingly (to us) delicious. Instead of dessert we had Kalua coffee and they even rounded up my favorite, coffee with Southern Comfort. Wine? Again a happy note. I select Pinot Noir usually because it doesn't need much aging, and sure enough, their second-lowest priced glass was a treat. I would certainly go back whenever I had the chance.Special Features:
- Anniversary at Chez MelangeStaceDined on 8/23/2014When I made the reservation I mentioned that we were celebrating an anniversary so I wanted a romantic table. When we arrived, our table had a happy anniversary note. They brought complimentary champagne and also provided a complimentary dessert. Food and service were both outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night at Chez MelangeWorldtravelerDined on 8/22/2014Excellent food, excellent service, excellent restaurant. No doubt that's why we have been going back for over 30 years, whenever we are in the LA area. Valet parking is a mere $5.00 and well worth it given the lack of on-street availability, especially the night we were there due to the farmer's market/craft fair next door that evening. The owner stopped by to chat twice during our meal, which was unique in our experience for such a well-attended restaurant. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- 46 years of wedding blisssandytoesDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I celebrated our 46 wedding anniversary at this lovely restaurant about a block from our house (we just moved in). We were greeted as if we were a cherished customer. The menu had lots of choices and the waiter answered all of our questions and gave us his recommendations. We split the summer salad, which was large slices of heirloom tomatoes, ripe avocado, and baby greens in a light dressing. We each had a different entrée. My rack of lamb was done perfectly and served with a butter couscous, while my wife's veal cordon bleu was surprisingly lighter than expected and served with sautéed spinach, a nice compliment. Service was spotless and very personal. All in all just a great dinner at a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerJudeKDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated our 45th anniversary here. The evening was wonderful from begiining to end. We were given champagne to start, had a delicious dinner, after dinner drinks and were treated to a delicious dessert. Our waitress was very attentive without being overbearing. It was a perfect, relaxed meal-good for reminiscing about past anniversaries and future adventures.Special Features:
- A wonderful restaurantOldManDined on 8/12/2014An interesting daily menu contains a large variety of delicious food. There is lots of free underground parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2014Best restaurant in the area -varied menu and knowledgable peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceEatnGoodStuffVIPDined on 8/11/2014We have been to Bouzy Gastropub many times, but it has been a while since we ate at Chez Melange. We entertained family visiting from Honolulu and we all loved the experience! The Octopus appetizer with peach was outstanding (and Truffle Fries from the Bouzy menu, too...). The Lamb Spare Ribs were excellent with lots of Moroccan spices. The Lamb Osso Bucco was fabulous on the risotto. The Starter salads were large portions and truly fresh and excellent. No one claimed that their meal was "so-so", they were all "excellent". This was a memorable night!! When the bill came we thought that something had been forgotten since the total was quite reasonable!Special Features:
- foodfiendVIPDined on 8/10/2014Best restaurant around. Loved the pork belly, the John Dory with hatch chile grits and Flatiron steak. Great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestCustomerDined on 8/8/2014I have eaten at they're bar and had a great experience. After hearing good reviews over the years about the restaurant I finally went for the dinning experience. Unfortunately, I was surprised when ordering that they had no steaks left on a Friday at 8pm. They did find some eventually however the thin ribeye was hardly what I expected for the $. The escargot was tough and served with pasta and bland tomato sauce. Again not what I expected. The service was basic and just OK at best. I was really hoping for a better dinning experience but left with a zero WOW factor.
- SouthbayCaDined on 8/5/2014Quaint restaurant with charming bar and appetizers area in front; great for personnel. Great cheese selection:) And a wonderful charming restaurant with unique and delicious menu choice. Very professional and friendly staff whom made sure our dining needs were taken care of throughout the evening. Great find in the Southbay!!!! Lovely place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong roomOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Our experience was pleasant, but no one told us that Saturday lunch would be in the Gastropub. I think it would have been courteous to tell us that.Special Features:
- TemperatureOpusOneDined on 8/1/2014With a full room the temperature control doesn't even cool the room. If you don't mind sweating while eating then you'll be ok. It was had to enjoy such good food with a room temperature of about 80 degrees. The food is great and the wines are terrific. Not too impressed with the crab cakes but the rest was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 750 reviews are from the Chez Melange reviews archive.
- Great dining experience and staffJPinRBDined on 7/25/2014We were seated a few minutes ahead of our reservation by the wonderful manager, Christine. We loved the fact that they checked with us before pouring water due to the shortage - nice touch. We ordered the seasonal salad with heirloom tomatoes for a starter, and it was HUGE (enough for two to share). The steak diane and lamb dishes were perfectly cooked and sauced. Our side of swiss chard was delicious, and we found out later from our wonderful and knowledgeable waiter, Bruce, that it was "seed to table" meaning grown for the restaurant in collaboration with a local school. The serving team checked in with us regularly and provided some great local tips for those of us new to the Redondo Beach area. Will DEFINITELY be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful time!foodie4lifeDined on 7/22/2014From start to finish my experience with Chez Melange was great. I called ahead too check the dress code and to also arrange for something special for my boyfriend's 50th birthday. They were so accommodating. We were greeted by name and taken to a very romantic table. The server, Amy I believe, was fantastic and knowledgeable. The food was absolutely delicious, flavorful, and very fresh! Our meal was topped off with complementary birthday cones of house-made gelato. Simply outstanding. Not too pricy and very elegant. We have found a new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food and ServiceDivescribeVIPDined on 7/20/2014Make sure you eat the Beignets, a great starter. The Brioche French Toast was delightful, light and easy to eat. I had a special, eggs, meat with Franks hot sauce that was tasty but not outstanding. All the portions were large. Service was outstanding. One small issue is we made a reservation for 2pm brunch. I received a confirmation call at 1:55 that advised us the kitchen was closing at 2:00. The food came rapidly Beignets were just served and our meal arrived moments later. Despite this small issue, I still highly recommend Chez Melange.Special Features:
- Delicious eveningSusanSDined on 7/16/2014We had another great meal at Chez Melange earlier this week. Neither of us was ravenous, so we opted for the alway interesting lighter fare, along with some delicious French Pouilly Fuisse which complemented the bisque and the escargot very well. The noise level was a little on the energetic side, mostly because the dining room was so full and two parties were celebrating special occasions with groups. However, this didn't distract us from our delectable meals or lovely wine. Chez is always a special place to dine!Special Features:
- Been a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014I used to frequent the restaurant at its old location. The food was how I remember it: very good, portion control made ordering many dishes worth it and knowing most of the food were locally sourced was nice but not a deal breaker. Insane wine list with good product offerings from all varietal's and countries. Started with oysters and champagne, as we were there for a birthday dinner> Note:: the menu changes daily so this review is partially useless as what we ate may not reappear...........Special Features: