1611 South Catalina Avenue
Redondo Beach, CA 90277Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezmelange.com/
- Phone: 3105401222
- Hours of Operation:
Chez Melange Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch 9:30am - 2:30pm Bouzy is open seven nights a week starting at 4:00 pm for Happy Hour and remains open until 10.30pm Sunday through Thursday, and 11.00p.m Friday & Saturday. BarComida Open Tuesday through Saturday from 5.30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Global, International, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Michael Robertson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Michael and Robert offer Out of the Chez Catering. We are truly happy to craft any menu you desire for your next upcoming event, whether it be a business meeting, a wedding, or a get together with friends.
- Private Party Facilities: The Side Room The Side Room is our room for private parties Seats up to 32 Available for lunch or dinner The Side Room is a private area where the cuisine and ambiance reflect the seasons. If you would like a special menu or a more traditional party menu. Each evening is individually shaped and has a unique menu representing the ingredients the farmers make available to us that day. We use only the finest ingredients with a strong emphasis on locally produced, seasonal, and organic foods. This insistence on freshness is not usually found outside of the finest restaurants. Chez Mélange prepares all their foods from scratch. Our Produce, Meat, Poultry and Fish Comes from Farms, Ranches and Fisheries Guided by Principles of Sustainability Seed To Plate is a Registered Name to Chez Mélange. Some of our Vegetables and Herbs are Grown at our Seed to Plate Garden at Palos Verdes High School by the Special Education Students. We Use a Reverse Osmosis System for our Water,
- Private Party Contact: Michael Franks 3103161566
- Special Events: Chez Melange hosts monthy wine dinners. Please call 310-540-1222 for information and to make a reservation.
A word from Chez Melange
Spontaneity is the word of the day at Chez Mélange restaurant in the Riviera Village of Redondo Beach. Chef Robert Bell, co-owner, uses locally sourced and seasonal ingredients to craft a daily changing menu of world cuisine, with options ranging from pastas to sustainable fish to a bevy of pork choices. Michael Franks, front of house co-owner, will greet you with the hospitality that has made Chez Mélange a success for the past thirty years. Please also visit Bouzy, located next door to Chez Mélange. A neighborhood gastropub, Bouzy takes the best of a French brasserie, an English pub, and an American bar and grill using locally sourced and seasonal ingredients. With a seasonal selection of artisan beers and many wines by the quartino, Bouzy gastropub is Michael and Robert’s idea of the neighborhood pub. Our third destination is BarComida a hidden away tapas bar, open kitchen serving small plates and nibbles in a cozy setting. See you at the table!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Chez Melange - Best Restaurants in Redondo Beach ›
Chez Melange reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (51)romantic (37)notable wine list (32)great for brunch (19)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (12)great for lunch (11)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food, nice ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The french waiter left a lot to be desired (bordering on rude and forgot a side dish I ordered) and the filet mignon was just ok, but the rest of the food, the salads, side dishes, wine, beer and desert were all excellent. I would like to try their gastropub as I think I would appreciate that more. I would guess the gastropub has better food at better prices and a more down to earth atmosphere.Special Features:
- 100%OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Always a fun time with the bonus of great food choices .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good first-time catch!FlamecoolerDined on 8/26/2014The outdoor seating would have been quieter for us. Indoors, it was nice and quiet for the first half hour, but then noisy talk from other tables was bothersome. I don't know which was more outstanding --- the food, or the exceptional service. We were made more than welcome to sit and enjoy reasonably priced cocktails while we chose our food. We selected lamb curry and lamb sirloin, both of which were surprisingly (to us) delicious. Instead of dessert we had Kalua coffee and they even rounded up my favorite, coffee with Southern Comfort. Wine? Again a happy note. I select Pinot Noir usually because it doesn't need much aging, and sure enough, their second-lowest priced glass was a treat. I would certainly go back whenever I had the chance.Special Features:
- Anniversary at Chez MelangeStaceDined on 8/23/2014When I made the reservation I mentioned that we were celebrating an anniversary so I wanted a romantic table. When we arrived, our table had a happy anniversary note. They brought complimentary champagne and also provided a complimentary dessert. Food and service were both outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night at Chez MelangeWorldtravelerDined on 8/22/2014Excellent food, excellent service, excellent restaurant. No doubt that's why we have been going back for over 30 years, whenever we are in the LA area. Valet parking is a mere $5.00 and well worth it given the lack of on-street availability, especially the night we were there due to the farmer's market/craft fair next door that evening. The owner stopped by to chat twice during our meal, which was unique in our experience for such a well-attended restaurant. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- 46 years of wedding blisssandytoesDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I celebrated our 46 wedding anniversary at this lovely restaurant about a block from our house (we just moved in). We were greeted as if we were a cherished customer. The menu had lots of choices and the waiter answered all of our questions and gave us his recommendations. We split the summer salad, which was large slices of heirloom tomatoes, ripe avocado, and baby greens in a light dressing. We each had a different entrée. My rack of lamb was done perfectly and served with a butter couscous, while my wife's veal cordon bleu was surprisingly lighter than expected and served with sautéed spinach, a nice compliment. Service was spotless and very personal. All in all just a great dinner at a great restaurant.Special Features:
- Another great dinnerJudeKDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated our 45th anniversary here. The evening was wonderful from begiining to end. We were given champagne to start, had a delicious dinner, after dinner drinks and were treated to a delicious dessert. Our waitress was very attentive without being overbearing. It was a perfect, relaxed meal-good for reminiscing about past anniversaries and future adventures.Special Features:
- A wonderful restaurantOldManDined on 8/12/2014An interesting daily menu contains a large variety of delicious food. There is lots of free underground parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2014Best restaurant in the area -varied menu and knowledgable peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceEatnGoodStuffVIPDined on 8/11/2014We have been to Bouzy Gastropub many times, but it has been a while since we ate at Chez Melange. We entertained family visiting from Honolulu and we all loved the experience! The Octopus appetizer with peach was outstanding (and Truffle Fries from the Bouzy menu, too...). The Lamb Spare Ribs were excellent with lots of Moroccan spices. The Lamb Osso Bucco was fabulous on the risotto. The Starter salads were large portions and truly fresh and excellent. No one claimed that their meal was "so-so", they were all "excellent". This was a memorable night!! When the bill came we thought that something had been forgotten since the total was quite reasonable!Special Features:
- foodfiendVIPDined on 8/10/2014Best restaurant around. Loved the pork belly, the John Dory with hatch chile grits and Flatiron steak. Great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestCustomerDined on 8/8/2014I have eaten at they're bar and had a great experience. After hearing good reviews over the years about the restaurant I finally went for the dinning experience. Unfortunately, I was surprised when ordering that they had no steaks left on a Friday at 8pm. They did find some eventually however the thin ribeye was hardly what I expected for the $. The escargot was tough and served with pasta and bland tomato sauce. Again not what I expected. The service was basic and just OK at best. I was really hoping for a better dinning experience but left with a zero WOW factor.
- SouthbayCaDined on 8/5/2014Quaint restaurant with charming bar and appetizers area in front; great for personnel. Great cheese selection:) And a wonderful charming restaurant with unique and delicious menu choice. Very professional and friendly staff whom made sure our dining needs were taken care of throughout the evening. Great find in the Southbay!!!! Lovely place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong roomOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Our experience was pleasant, but no one told us that Saturday lunch would be in the Gastropub. I think it would have been courteous to tell us that.Special Features:
- TemperatureOpusOneDined on 8/1/2014With a full room the temperature control doesn't even cool the room. If you don't mind sweating while eating then you'll be ok. It was had to enjoy such good food with a room temperature of about 80 degrees. The food is great and the wines are terrific. Not too impressed with the crab cakes but the rest was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience and staffJPinRBDined on 7/25/2014We were seated a few minutes ahead of our reservation by the wonderful manager, Christine. We loved the fact that they checked with us before pouring water due to the shortage - nice touch. We ordered the seasonal salad with heirloom tomatoes for a starter, and it was HUGE (enough for two to share). The steak diane and lamb dishes were perfectly cooked and sauced. Our side of swiss chard was delicious, and we found out later from our wonderful and knowledgeable waiter, Bruce, that it was "seed to table" meaning grown for the restaurant in collaboration with a local school. The serving team checked in with us regularly and provided some great local tips for those of us new to the Redondo Beach area. Will DEFINITELY be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful time!foodie4lifeDined on 7/22/2014From start to finish my experience with Chez Melange was great. I called ahead too check the dress code and to also arrange for something special for my boyfriend's 50th birthday. They were so accommodating. We were greeted by name and taken to a very romantic table. The server, Amy I believe, was fantastic and knowledgeable. The food was absolutely delicious, flavorful, and very fresh! Our meal was topped off with complementary birthday cones of house-made gelato. Simply outstanding. Not too pricy and very elegant. We have found a new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food and ServiceDivescribeVIPDined on 7/20/2014Make sure you eat the Beignets, a great starter. The Brioche French Toast was delightful, light and easy to eat. I had a special, eggs, meat with Franks hot sauce that was tasty but not outstanding. All the portions were large. Service was outstanding. One small issue is we made a reservation for 2pm brunch. I received a confirmation call at 1:55 that advised us the kitchen was closing at 2:00. The food came rapidly Beignets were just served and our meal arrived moments later. Despite this small issue, I still highly recommend Chez Melange.Special Features:
- Delicious eveningSusanSDined on 7/16/2014We had another great meal at Chez Melange earlier this week. Neither of us was ravenous, so we opted for the alway interesting lighter fare, along with some delicious French Pouilly Fuisse which complemented the bisque and the escargot very well. The noise level was a little on the energetic side, mostly because the dining room was so full and two parties were celebrating special occasions with groups. However, this didn't distract us from our delectable meals or lovely wine. Chez is always a special place to dine!Special Features:
- Been a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014I used to frequent the restaurant at its old location. The food was how I remember it: very good, portion control made ordering many dishes worth it and knowing most of the food were locally sourced was nice but not a deal breaker. Insane wine list with good product offerings from all varietal's and countries. Started with oysters and champagne, as we were there for a birthday dinner> Note:: the menu changes daily so this review is partially useless as what we ate may not reappear...........Special Features:
- Great dinner!DinerXVIPDined on 7/9/2014Service was excellent, and the food was even better. Cheese plate with baguette to start was really good. Duck for dinner was perfectly cooked and tasty. Chocolate cream for dessert was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceBambie321Dined on 6/29/2014Chez Melange hits every meal well! I've been here for romantic dinners, casual after-work drinks and now brunch. Great food, attentive service. Well priced!Special Features:
- Great food and service. 1 south bayRBresidentDined on 6/28/2014Local place that is one of the best on our area. Great food and fantastic service. Has both formal and casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love2dineDined on 6/21/2014It just didn't do it for me. Had been waiting for a while to try this restaurant, and the whole experience was just underwhelming. Right from the start, the server told us what was NOT available for the night... too bad I was planning on ordering the exact entree that had run out. Shared a delicious cheese platter with friends, but was disappointed in the highly recommended Summer Salad. I can throw lettuce, tomato, and avocado together in my kitchen too... no wow factor at all. My flatiron steak was dry, and by that point, I was just over it. I should have let the server know, but my friend mentioned wanting to cancel her salad after she saw mine, and got a lecture about why cheese should not eaten as an appetizer because it's filling.
- great foodForestaDined on 6/19/2014good, fresh food, daily menu service is great If not for dinner I suggest just come to the bar, staff is very friendlySpecial Features:
- Chez Melange is so very special!Marya01Dined on 6/15/2014Brunch on a special event makes it even more special. The menu is so full of delicious and interesting items. This is not your usual brunch. The items are very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- All Around Great!LizbethDined on 6/14/2014Took some friends to one of our favorite places and they also thought it was wonderful! Both guys had the twice baked pork dish and the ladies had the lobster taco type rolls. Delicious! Imaginative salads, sides and entree sizes to please all. Valet parking handy on a busy Sat. night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thurs night dinner at ChezPatisueDined on 6/12/2014Hi! I've eaten at Chez Melange several times. When out of town relatives came to visit, I made reservations there. Practically everything we wanted was out. It became very funny after a while. The waiters came over and we all had to made several other choices not once but several times. Maybe because it was 8pm on a Thursday? The food we did get was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and ServiceAnaheimLocalDined on 6/8/2014My wife and I went for our first time to celebrate our 5th year anniversary and we are glad we did. Don't let the bar in the front scare you off, you will be escorted to a secret back room when dim lights and french waiters will be waitting for you. The food was amazing and the staff was extremely attentive and made the night perfect. The prime rib was excellent and the pasta bolingnas was the best I have ever had. I am already planning my next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is divineGoodEatinDined on 6/5/2014We were visiting from out of town and were lucky enough to find this spot. We were delighted with the quality of the service and the food. The food on the seafood cart was reasonably priced and absolutely divine--hamachi and maguro sashimi, raw oysters--they just melted in your mouth with a burst of flavor. The lobster macaroni and cheese was wonderful. The sea scallops with cauliflower puree was perfectly cooked, with a spark of kumquat jelly that brightened the palate. This place was a gem. We will return here the next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Best FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/29/2014This is my favorite restaurant - great people and such a flexible ,ever changing menu.lOOKING FORWARD TO MY NEXT VISITSpecial Features:
- UnimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014We were regular customers at the "old" location, loved everything about it. We never had a bad meal And enjoyed ordering our usual favorites as well as daily specials, we were never disappointed. This place takes itself WAYYYY to seriously, nothing like the old chez, too bad. Our female dining room server was amazing though, she was the only bright spot. Too bad, I was looking forward to our meal here, pretty disappointed;(
- Memorable evening at CMOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/23/2014We were very glad we chose Chez Melange for our friend's 50th birthday celebration. The food was excellent and we enjoyed our overall experience including the ambiance. Our waiter was charming although a bit distracted here and there as this is a very busy restaurant. The manager, Christine, was warm and attentive -- as was another gentleman/manager who also checked on us. From our Goat Cheese Toastie appetizer to the amazing Pork entree and Peanut Butter gelato we enjoyed every bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/21/2014Definitely a top contender for most innovative restaurant in the South Bay- fun placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's DayGastronormousDined on 5/11/2014Excellent dining experience. Wait staff was attentive but not obtrusive. Free self parking. Food was great with an unusual twist Endless Mimosas kept coming. Water notas attentive. Definetly recommend especially for romantic occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent Motherss DayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Took my mom, wife, and son here for an early Mothers' Day and enjoyed the venue and food. The Menu was diverse and interesting with a diverse set of choices.Special Features:
- I would try it againAaronDined on 5/10/2014Nice location. Not cheap but a good value for the overall experience. We loved two of the dishes, not a fan of one. Worth tryingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Melange ExperienceDanVDined on 5/6/2014The food quality very good, although portion size was rather small. The availability of oysters ordered as an appetizer resulted in substitution of variety without asking for prior approval. The table was far too small, and service definitely substandard. I will not accept this waiter at the next occasion at this restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 726 reviews are from the Chez Melange reviews archive.
- Delicious Unique ChoicesgeeneeDined on 5/4/2014The service was great and the food matched. One of the best menus for items a bit different that you are used to for breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was great as alwayspaulVIPDined on 4/19/2014We dined last Saturday night and had a perfect experience. It started with a greeting from the trendy and friendly host who honored our table wishes with a smile Our server, who happened to be the son of the owner, was very attentive but not overbearing. And Michael Franks, whom I have know for years, was very cordial and interesting when he visited our table. It is one of the few restaurants left that is very classy with out being pompous and the atmosphere is splendid. A great date night venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.