311 St-Paul Est
Montreal, QC H2Y 1H3Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezlepicier.com/
- Phone: 5148782232x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Laurent Godbout et Philippe Hétu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Chez l’Épicier restaurant is the perfect catering service to organize your corporate or private events, any occasion that require the excellence of one of the most renowned restaurant in Montreal.
- Private Party Facilities: Chez L"Épicier is the perfect place for quiet and private group up to 40 people.
We also offer to reserve the whole restaurant for large group. Please don't hesitate to communicate with Stephanie, she will be happy to help you to organize your event.
- Private Party Contact: Stephanie 5148782232x
A word from Chez L'Épicier
Friendly refinement at Chez l’Épicier! For almost 13 years, the restaurant Chez L’Épicier has been shaking up culinary traditions while maintaining its position as a restaurant of the highest gastronomic order, offering a relaxed refinement and an energizing experience. Whether you come on business or for a meal with friends, the food, ambiance, and wines combine to make this one of the best restaurants in Montreal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Chez L'Épicier - Best Restaurants in Old Montreal ›
Chez L'Épicier reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)special occasion (67)romantic (51)notable wine list (38)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (11)hot spot (8)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014excellent restrauant-- we were seated at the best table in the house w ithout begging. it appeared that they reserved this table for us---perhaps because of open table? great service and wonderful food, but on the pricey side as we found all the good restrauants in montreal. highly recommended.Special Features:
- Un repas digne de mentionStephane1Dined on 10/16/2014Nous avons pris le repas dégustation, celui-ci était intéressant, bien construit... et plein de surprises. Combinaison intéressante et dynamique de flaveurs et de texture. Bien stable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/14/2014Probably the best food and service we have ever had! We had the 7 course tasting menu paired with wine. It was superb. The pairings were fantastic and the service was over the top without being too in your face. We have travelled all over the world and ate in many restaurants but this was spectacular.Special Features:
- We had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Food was great. Service was perfect. My husband and I had a great time. I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mi-figue, mi-raisinTitiGourmandDined on 10/11/2014Notre visite à L'Épicier se voulait une belle soirée pour souligner notre anniversaire de mariage. En plus, le menu dégustation nous avait été offert en cadeau. Le service à l'accueil fut tiède et un peu calculé. Le premier service, un potage automnal aux courges était fort bien présenté, coulant d'un pichet sur un bol garni avec entre autre de l'encre de seiche. Outre la couleur peu ragoûtante, le tout était trop salé. Le macaron aux échalotes qui le précédait goûtait le Philadelphia. La pétoncle qui suivi était correcte, avec du flanc de porc qui lui donnait de l'énergie. Le saumon fut excellent, mais ruiné par un risotto au parmesan baignant dans du dashi. Le foie gras poêlé fut réussi, mais perdait son croustillant dans du fond de veau.
- TatieDined on 10/10/2014Great find at a reasonable price. Nice ambiance something between a bistro and a formal restaurant. Foie gras was divine and other dishes tasty and portions were generous and well balanced. Desert menue was innovative and waht we had was delicious. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good?Trav2dineVIPDined on 10/3/2014We went to showcase what we thought would be one of Montreal's better restaurants to some out of town guests. We had been there 3 times before this year. Not so good this time. Service and ambience was there but the wine list had a lot of reasonably priced wines out of stock. We had the tasting menu and our overall impression of it was 'bland'.Special Features:
- Great diningMidimacDined on 9/27/2014The place is charming with the very large windows on St-Paul Street. The food is original and imaginative, and tasty from beginning to end. The service helps you with all kinds of demans, and doex not frown if you have special needs. It was the same as the first time we experienced it years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014This is an outstanding restaurant. The 7 course tasting menu at $80 is a steal. The meal we had was worth the trip from New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous Place...service not soDDAtalaDined on 9/24/2014The ambience is perfect, gorgeous! The food seems to be better than it really is and the eaiter gets mad if tou don't tip him right. Practically was chance in the street to give him more tip. But if you look for a upper coming class restaurant I would recommendSpecial Features:
- KenFox22Dined on 9/22/2014located in a historic building in Old Montreal. Excellent service and good food. as with other fine dining restaurants of this style food servings are modest, attractively plated and very tasteful . Would return next time I visit Monteral.Special Features:
- new waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014maybe if we had had an experience waiter..... but for the price of the food, there are much better restaurants in Montréal such as Europea where for a few dollars more it would have been a great experience for the Belgium people we took to L'Épicier. we were disappointed and the European found there was not enough to eat and it took forever when we asked for something to be brought to our table.Special Features:
- Not what it once wasAwildeDined on 9/20/2014Has really gone downhill - food was hit or miss, service was UNBELIEVABLY slo, though good.Special Features:
- Great eveningapmtDined on 9/20/2014First time visit. Great experience. Service was outstanding. I did not like the appetizer but they handled it so professionally.Special Features:
- It was okJ9fromTOVIPDined on 9/18/2014Honestly, the food was pretty terrible. The service was fine. But the food. The soup was good...... that's all I've got. I'm trying to be nice because the service was excellent, but it was just you're typical snobby French food.
- A real findLoveatfirsttasteDined on 9/10/2014We met a local gentleman during our walks who made the recommendation. What a treat! Great service and excellent food California touristsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous serious chef - a gemswansgirlDined on 9/8/2014This restaurant is a gem and I'm glad I live 300+ miles away because I'd go broke eating here a few times a month. Worth the time and money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!PollyGlotDined on 9/7/2014Just tried the place with a friend during a long weekend in Montreal. I did the degustation Sunday evening 09/07. Chef accommodated my request for a pescatarian degustation. I was floored by the food, wine pairings and service. Mlle. Mathilde etait "parfaite."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef was missingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014soup and entree were good but main course were problem. My wife had a almost cold plate where pintade was good but nothing special. My main plate was not hot enough and the sauce was burned and taste like has a sort of defective liquid. Fish was ok but one of the 4 scallop was not tasting fresh and the only scrimp was overcooked. total cost with 18$ tip and one glass of wine 175$ go figure. It was sunday night so maybe the staff was irregular .... Let's hope this is exceptional but I will not return. would have prefer to write this en Francais, but no such option here
- Wonderful Restaurant!!!TeatimedVIPDined on 9/5/2014The restaurant itself is very nice. The food was great...very creative! The service was amazing. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good food, not outstanding thoughCicciosaDined on 9/3/2014It is a great value for money. We chose the tasting menu plus two additional courses. Out of these 9 dishes we found only two outstanding. The remaining were interesting and good.Special Features:
- fit for foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014for foodies - this place maybe great as they experience the 7 course meal through the 3 hours - unfortunately for me and my wife we found this to be ok - not that the food is bad - the food is actually very good with a few exceptions - the soup was a bit on the salty side...although very flavorful,...the halibut was cooked perfectly but the lobster bisque sauce was a bit on the bland side - the wagyu beef - it was bit on the chewier side - foie gras...excellent ....and the wine pairing was great -Special Features:
- lotsadeacsDined on 8/31/2014Even though our cabbie couldn't find it (not that hard) he dropped us within a block. Glad we found our party as ambiance, food and service were absolutely first rate. Excellent meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful46x2Dined on 8/31/2014My husband and I experienced our 46th wedding anniversary this past week in Montreal and enjoyed many dining experiences. This was one of them. Be sure to ask for the marshmallow pot, which we did not see on the dessert menu, but saw it at another table. What fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding french foodfishmongerVIPDined on 8/31/2014This was our second time dining at Chez L'Épicier. Coming from New York City, we've seen our fair share of high end restaurants. This fine establishment, however, can easily compare with the best of them. Cream of corn soup was sublime. So good that I would have licked the plate, if it was socially acceptable. Next came the gnocchi, which was also delicious. Nice surprise on the crispy outer layer of the gnocchi, while the inside was soft and juicy. Desert was a Creme Brulee sampler of 4 little cups of sweet and creamy goodness. Highly recommended! We definitely plan on coming back when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tête à têteStbabinDined on 8/23/2014We experienced the 5 course with wine matching. It was superb. Service from Julien and the team was excellent. Great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite in Old Montreal!PattyVIPDined on 8/17/2014For some reason, this exquisite restaurant does not appear on everyone's list of Old Town's amazing restaurants. We dined in some of the best during our week in Montreal, and this was our favorite. A small menu of mostly locally-sourced food, all perfectly prepared, beautiful and delicious. The restaurant is not ostentatious, so if that's what you're looking for, you won't find it here. But if it's the dining you want, don't miss L'Épicier. Our server was knowledgable about food and wine, so you might take their suggestions.Special Features:
- Excellent meallinkruDined on 8/10/2014Charming restaurant in lovely setting in old Montreal ,.. Attention to subtleties of food. Lovely presentations. Wonderful dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outLove2eatDined on 8/7/2014Overall-great atmosphere with great food and wine. And the bloody bacon Caesar if you are a Caesar lover Amuse bouche was excellent-macaroons with an olive goat cheese center - perfect combination of salt and sweet Appetizers-lobster bisque was amazing. If you like seafood you will enjoy it. My wife had the fish and chips-raw Japanese white fish thinly cut with greens and potato chips that was a refreshing taste. Main courses-seafood dish with scallops and cod with veggies and a little coating of the lobster bisque. The other one was a gnudi ricotta meal with small diced tomatoes. Both were excellent and filling Dessert-2 macaroons (couldn't eat anymore). Other one was brownie with a seasoned pear sorbet and pear that felt like 'pop rocks'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointed and overrated!Luv2eatVIPDined on 8/7/2014Our first dinner in Montreal and so dissapointed we wasted a meal here. There are so many better places to choose. The staff is friendly but the food sounds creative but has no flavor. Shrimp salad appatizer has less flavor than our grocery store. Lobster bisque was cold and bland. Fish and chips were rare fish with boring tartar sauce and pieces of fried crisps. Entries were no better. Our entire group left dissapointed.
- hermesVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great service and atmosphere, but menu and preparation was slightly off, and perhaps overpriced for the final quality of what was served. (e.g., $16 lobster bisque was "meh")
- Viva L'EpicierbobbarbaraVIPDined on 8/4/2014Arrived at the restaurant with high expectations and departed happily because the experience more than met our expectations.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantMarcelleetRobertDined on 8/3/2014Nous avons choisi le menu dégustation sept services et nous n'avons pas été déçus. Tous les plats étaient délicieux et bien présentés. Les portions étaient correctes pour un sept services. Enfin le service était courtois et sympathique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014The waiter was great, the food came rather quickly and everything was good. However, I feel the price is a bit exaggerated for the portion and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experience!Cashew25Dined on 8/1/2014We reallly enjoyed or experience: great food with an amazing presentation, interesting flavors, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTonyDined on 8/1/2014This wonderful spot in Old Montreal is a special find. With a relaxed atmosphere it still manages to provide an outstanding dining experience with local ingredients prepared in exciting ways. You cannot go wrong here but reservations are a necessity to avoid being disappointed.Special Features:
- Montreal TreatVtroversDined on 7/26/2014If you want a special high quality chic restaurant to celebrate a special event, consider this one. Be sure to make reservations for each table is filled before the evening ends. Your table is yours for the evening and you are treated like royalty. The menu is very special and the plates are very chic. The dining experience is very noteworthy.Special Features:
- All Around WonderfulKTRespondsDined on 7/25/2014This was a wonderful experience in every way. Food and wines were all superb. Service was knowledgeable, efficient, and friendly. It can be difficult to eat dairy-free in a French restaurant, but L'Epicier made it very easy.Special Features:
- One of the best dinners everJohnDined on 7/25/2014When we were in Montreal 5 years ago we had a great experience in this restaurant and this time it was even better! With fresh buns produced in house and a great and interesting menu. The entire wait staff were very attentive but our waiter was magic with matching our wine to our meal. If you want a perfect meal served the way it should be this a do not miss location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderfulBobdavidDined on 7/24/2014In a city that's full of fine restaurants, this is truly a special place. Fabulous, creative food. Beautifully presented. In a setting that's not at all pretentious. A real dining experience, well worth the price.Special Features: