311 St-Paul Est
Montreal, QC H2Y 1H3Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezlepicier.com/
- Phone: 5148782232x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Laurent Godbout et Philippe Hétu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Chez l’Épicier restaurant is the perfect catering service to organize your corporate or private events, any occasion that require the excellence of one of the most renowned restaurant in Montreal.
- Private Party Facilities: Chez L"Épicier is the perfect place for quiet and private group up to 40 people.
We also offer to reserve the whole restaurant for large group. Please don't hesitate to communicate with Stephanie, she will be happy to help you to organize your event.
- Private Party Contact: Stephanie 5148782232x
A word from Chez L'Épicier
Friendly refinement at Chez l’Épicier! For almost 13 years, the restaurant Chez L’Épicier has been shaking up culinary traditions while maintaining its position as a restaurant of the highest gastronomic order, offering a relaxed refinement and an energizing experience. Whether you come on business or for a meal with friends, the food, ambiance, and wines combine to make this one of the best restaurants in Montreal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Chez L'Épicier - Best Restaurants in Old Montreal ›
Chez L'Épicier reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (68)fit for foodies (67)romantic (50)notable wine list (48)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (10)scenic view (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014Charming restaurant in lovely setting in old Montreal ,.. Attention to subtleties of food. Lovely presentations. Wonderful dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outLove2eatDined on 8/7/2014Overall-great atmosphere with great food and wine. And the bloody bacon Caesar if you are a Caesar lover Amuse bouche was excellent-macaroons with an olive goat cheese center - perfect combination of salt and sweet Appetizers-lobster bisque was amazing. If you like seafood you will enjoy it. My wife had the fish and chips-raw Japanese white fish thinly cut with greens and potato chips that was a refreshing taste. Main courses-seafood dish with scallops and cod with veggies and a little coating of the lobster bisque. The other one was a gnudi ricotta meal with small diced tomatoes. Both were excellent and filling Dessert-2 macaroons (couldn't eat anymore). Other one was brownie with a seasoned pear sorbet and pear that felt like 'pop rocks'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointed and overrated!Luv2eatVIPDined on 8/7/2014Our first dinner in Montreal and so dissapointed we wasted a meal here. There are so many better places to choose. The staff is friendly but the food sounds creative but has no flavor. Shrimp salad appatizer has less flavor than our grocery store. Lobster bisque was cold and bland. Fish and chips were rare fish with boring tartar sauce and pieces of fried crisps. Entries were no better. Our entire group left dissapointed.
- hermesVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great service and atmosphere, but menu and preparation was slightly off, and perhaps overpriced for the final quality of what was served. (e.g., $16 lobster bisque was "meh")
- Viva L'EpicierbobbarbaraVIPDined on 8/4/2014Arrived at the restaurant with high expectations and departed happily because the experience more than met our expectations.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantMarcelleetRobertDined on 8/3/2014Nous avons choisi le menu dégustation sept services et nous n'avons pas été déçus. Tous les plats étaient délicieux et bien présentés. Les portions étaient correctes pour un sept services. Enfin le service était courtois et sympathique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014The waiter was great, the food came rather quickly and everything was good. However, I feel the price is a bit exaggerated for the portion and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experience!Cashew25Dined on 8/1/2014We reallly enjoyed or experience: great food with an amazing presentation, interesting flavors, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTonyDined on 8/1/2014This wonderful spot in Old Montreal is a special find. With a relaxed atmosphere it still manages to provide an outstanding dining experience with local ingredients prepared in exciting ways. You cannot go wrong here but reservations are a necessity to avoid being disappointed.Special Features:
- Montreal TreatVtroversDined on 7/26/2014If you want a special high quality chic restaurant to celebrate a special event, consider this one. Be sure to make reservations for each table is filled before the evening ends. Your table is yours for the evening and you are treated like royalty. The menu is very special and the plates are very chic. The dining experience is very noteworthy.Special Features:
- All Around WonderfulKTRespondsDined on 7/25/2014This was a wonderful experience in every way. Food and wines were all superb. Service was knowledgeable, efficient, and friendly. It can be difficult to eat dairy-free in a French restaurant, but L'Epicier made it very easy.Special Features:
- One of the best dinners everJohnDined on 7/25/2014When we were in Montreal 5 years ago we had a great experience in this restaurant and this time it was even better! With fresh buns produced in house and a great and interesting menu. The entire wait staff were very attentive but our waiter was magic with matching our wine to our meal. If you want a perfect meal served the way it should be this a do not miss location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderfulBobdavidDined on 7/24/2014In a city that's full of fine restaurants, this is truly a special place. Fabulous, creative food. Beautifully presented. In a setting that's not at all pretentious. A real dining experience, well worth the price.Special Features:
- A great find!TravellerDined on 7/21/2014Fantastic restaurant! Excellent food, good service, great ambiance. Wine list a bit top heavy on price ($3700 really?!) but overall a good selection. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDaliad411Dined on 7/21/2014Beautiful restaurant with unexpected warmth and charm, but the food is disappointing to say the least. The tastiest part of the meal was the complimentary goat cheese macaroon which was brought in lieu of bread. Very tasty and original. After that it was a series of tasteless disappointments. Gnudi tasted and had the consistency of unflavored fried tofu, in a boring tomato sauce. Lobster was served with a tasteless polenta. All in all, a beautiful restaurant good for ambiance, but disappointing food.Special Features:
- Top FormmcmsfVIPDined on 7/16/2014Food, service, ambiance (relaxed but classy)--all great. Still tasting the wonderful tenderloin and the wine--a rhone (which I normally avoid in favor of cabernet) which our waiter recommended was spot on. Returning for a second dinner in a few days.Special Features:
- DisappointedShismoVIPDined on 7/15/2014This restaurant showed great promise but, failed in the execution. The lobster bisque had to be sent back as it was served cold. It tasted quite bland. The wild Quebec mushrooms, a delightful idea, however, all three servings were full of sand and were sent back. The beef tartar looked as if it was spattered on the plate. It was made with crunchy bits that turned out to be beef jerky. Terrible mouth feel. On the positive side, the olive macaron amuse guelles and lobster poached in butter served with a polenta purée were exquisite and the sommelier recommended a great wine.
- Stellar diningkudzuDined on 7/15/2014My dining companion and I decided to opt for the tasting menu, and were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfuldelitefulDined on 7/14/2014Had a lovely meal here. Food was truly delicious...and also very light. Portions were perfect...not too big, not too small. And the staff was lovely!! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experience!BarryDined on 7/14/2014Went to celebrate our anniversary. Selected the sampler with wine pairing. What a wonderful experience. Food was excellent. Delicious. Nicely presented. The wine pairing was superb. Wines we had not experienced before - all excellent and well matched with the course being served. Will return for a "regular" dinner next visit to Montréal.Special Features:
- Almost thereMarkushaDined on 7/12/2014The food was excellent but they had asparagus listed in the menu with none available early in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but a disappointment.LuluDined on 7/6/2014We have been to Chez L'Epicier several times before and have always loved it. This last time was a bit of a disappointment. The "gnudi" were very dried and tasted like dry, fried potatoes. The order was taken incorrectly so someone's duck came long after the other dishes, even though we were given an extra gnudi to eat while we waited for it. My husband had a shrimp salad appetizer and then the lobster. He felt it was not as described on the menu and then got stomach cramps an hour or so later from one of the dishes. Although we had an extraordinary wine and wonderful service otherwise, it left us feeling we would not go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C L'ETimPDined on 7/5/2014If in Montreal you should dine at this restaurant. Our waiter simply said that everything is good. And he was correct. Wait staff were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding experienceSaxmanVIPDined on 7/3/2014We were visitors during the Jazz Festival. This is our favorite restaurant in Montreal. We had the 7 course tasting menu (without the wine pairings). The meal was superb and also entertaining. Lots of local ingredients which is cool. Service was first class and the dining room is simple and elegant. Good cocktails and wine by the glass are available.Special Features:
- A rare treatEdmontonian1Dined on 7/2/2014It was a great pick for me visiting Montreal. I had come before with my family, and it did not disappoint. It is an expensive dining experience, but for a special occasion it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014I celebrated by anniversary with an early dinner here before the cirque de soleil show that evening and it exceeded expectation. From the olive and goat cheese macaroon (I have never liked a macaroon ever, until that macaroon) to the perfect lobster dish- we were completely taken care of. An unpretentious gem that every tourist and local should experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply ExquisiteRobbyVIPDined on 7/1/2014If you enjoy beautiful presentation, excellent service and food that tastes exquisite, then this is your restaurant. This is French food at its finest. Do not expect mounds of food; rather each plate is a work of art, and with an appetizer and entree you will have room for dessert. We had the beets in apple milk and asparagus, the guinea fowl (crisp and moist) and duck breast, creme brûlée (5 tasting cups) and strawberries with doughnuts and custard. The waiters and owner are proud of their menu and service, and they should be as it was exquisite.Special Features:
- Delicious and beautiful food!IlovechocaolateDined on 6/29/2014The restaurant has great service with a bilingual staff. The view of Marche Bonsecouer was nice and the restaurant itself feels like a contemporary upscale bistro. The food was delicious, creative, and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome foodSavagetasterDined on 6/25/2014Had the 7 course taster. Amazing. Service a little slow but the food was off the charts. Foie gras just melted in your mouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place !FoodLover73Dined on 6/23/2014The food was stunning especially the puree that comes with the Magret de Canard !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SarahDined on 6/22/2014staff are very friendly. Food is excellent. The ingredients are fresh. The restaurant provides good food and nice service.Special Features:
- CreativeDined on 6/21/2014Had the 7course tasting meal with the wine accompaniment. Food was very creative and delicious. The wine could have been older. Most of the wine used was decent french choices but from very recent vintages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LefouloirDined on 6/21/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the seven-course tasting menu from the amuse bouche to the petit-fours (homemade maccarons and marsmallows!) that followed the dessert course. It takes a leap of faith to put your evening in the hands of an unknown chef and eat whatever he or she elects to serve you. In this case, our faith was rewarded with an excellent and langorous meal. The wine pairings were quite creditable for a reasonable price. The pace of the service was perfect, the variety of tastes and textures in the various courses vast, and the size of the portions neither too minuscule nor too grand. And, the foie gras course was nothing short of fabulous. All in a casual and relaxed setting . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptionnel!beentheredonethatDined on 6/20/2014Nous y avons célébré la fin des classes avec nos deux garçons de 14 et 16 ans. Toute la famille a choisi le repas dégustation. Tout était parfait. Même mon plus jeune, qui est pourtant gueule fine, a tout mangé. Nous aurions liché nos assiettes tant tous les plats étaient succulents. À noter que l'accord mets-vins est autant généreux que particulièrement bien adapté. On sert 6 coupes de vin en accord pour 60$. Je n'ai jamais vu ça ailleurs. D'ailleurs je suis normalement toujours déçu pour les accords proposés jugeant pouvoir faire une meilleure job avec une seule bouteille de mon choix, mais pas à l'Épicier. Les accords étaient parfaits. On m'a même laissé choisir, à ma demande, un autre vin que celui suggéré pour accompagner le canard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014I chose Chez L'Epicier for a celebration evening as we had lovely evenings there in the past and was disappointed. I will note that there was a large group and I suspect this was the basis of the problem. The service was still attentive but there was a delay to receive our food. We waited 30 minutes after ordering to receive our a simple mix of greens salad with a wonderful dressing on the side. The greens were very fresh, but overall the salad was missing texture and visual interest. After another wait for our main course, my norweign cod was tasty but bearly warm to the touch. We elected to coffee and desert at home as the kitchen appeared to be having trouble keeping up the serving both the large group and individual costumers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceRoadrunnerDined on 6/10/2014Would recommend this restaurant. Very good food, value and experience in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/8/2014Quality of food and presentation is incredible. This is one of the best restaurants in the world....Special Features:
- MagnifiqueAnnieiacoDined on 6/7/2014Le service, la bouffe tout était parfait ! C'était une 1ere, mais nous y retournerons c'est certain !! Notre serveuse Mathilde était tres gentille :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the weekBillDined on 6/4/2014Spent 10 days in Montreal for a conference - ate here on the last night - saved the best for last - best meal we had in Montreal!!Special Features:
- Great referralLifeinyycDined on 5/31/2014Great food, good service, nice music, and an authentic Montreal atmosphere, everything I was looking for. The prices reflect the quality of food, and portions are enough to not over fill. I would definetly go back. Ps the cod and duck are are both well worth a trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.