311 St-Paul Est
Montreal, QC H2Y 1H3Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezlepicier.com/
- Phone: 5148782232x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Laurent Godbout et Philippe Hétu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Chez l’Épicier restaurant is the perfect catering service to organize your corporate or private events, any occasion that require the excellence of one of the most renowned restaurant in Montreal.
- Private Party Facilities: Chez L"Épicier is the perfect place for quiet and private group up to 40 people.
We also offer to reserve the whole restaurant for large group. Please don't hesitate to communicate with Stephanie, she will be happy to help you to organize your event.
- Private Party Contact: Stephanie 5148782232x
A word from Chez L'Épicier
Friendly refinement at Chez l’Épicier! For almost 13 years, the restaurant Chez L’Épicier has been shaking up culinary traditions while maintaining its position as a restaurant of the highest gastronomic order, offering a relaxed refinement and an energizing experience. Whether you come on business or for a meal with friends, the food, ambiance, and wines combine to make this one of the best restaurants in Montreal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Chez L'Épicier - Best Restaurants in Old Montreal ›
Chez L'Épicier reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (74)special occasion (73)romantic (59)notable wine list (49)neighborhood gem (35)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)great for lunch (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great diningMidimacDined on 9/27/2014The place is charming with the very large windows on St-Paul Street. The food is original and imaginative, and tasty from beginning to end. The service helps you with all kinds of demans, and doex not frown if you have special needs. It was the same as the first time we experienced it years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014This is an outstanding restaurant. The 7 course tasting menu at $80 is a steal. The meal we had was worth the trip from New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous Place...service not soDDAtalaDined on 9/24/2014The ambience is perfect, gorgeous! The food seems to be better than it really is and the eaiter gets mad if tou don't tip him right. Practically was chance in the street to give him more tip. But if you look for a upper coming class restaurant I would recommendSpecial Features:
- KenFox22Dined on 9/22/2014located in a historic building in Old Montreal. Excellent service and good food. as with other fine dining restaurants of this style food servings are modest, attractively plated and very tasteful . Would return next time I visit Monteral.Special Features:
- Not what it once wasAwildeDined on 9/20/2014Has really gone downhill - food was hit or miss, service was UNBELIEVABLY slo, though good.Special Features:
- Great eveningapmtDined on 9/20/2014First time visit. Great experience. Service was outstanding. I did not like the appetizer but they handled it so professionally.Special Features:
- It was okJ9fromTOVIPDined on 9/18/2014Honestly, the food was pretty terrible. The service was fine. But the food. The soup was good...... that's all I've got. I'm trying to be nice because the service was excellent, but it was just you're typical snobby French food.
- A real findLoveatfirsttasteDined on 9/10/2014We met a local gentleman during our walks who made the recommendation. What a treat! Great service and excellent food California touristsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous serious chef - a gemswansgirlDined on 9/8/2014This restaurant is a gem and I'm glad I live 300+ miles away because I'd go broke eating here a few times a month. Worth the time and money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!PollyGlotDined on 9/7/2014Just tried the place with a friend during a long weekend in Montreal. I did the degustation Sunday evening 09/07. Chef accommodated my request for a pescatarian degustation. I was floored by the food, wine pairings and service. Mlle. Mathilde etait "parfaite."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef was missingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014soup and entree were good but main course were problem. My wife had a almost cold plate where pintade was good but nothing special. My main plate was not hot enough and the sauce was burned and taste like has a sort of defective liquid. Fish was ok but one of the 4 scallop was not tasting fresh and the only scrimp was overcooked. total cost with 18$ tip and one glass of wine 175$ go figure. It was sunday night so maybe the staff was irregular .... Let's hope this is exceptional but I will not return. would have prefer to write this en Francais, but no such option here
- Wonderful Restaurant!!!TeatimedVIPDined on 9/5/2014The restaurant itself is very nice. The food was great...very creative! The service was amazing. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good food, not outstanding thoughCicciosaDined on 9/3/2014It is a great value for money. We chose the tasting menu plus two additional courses. Out of these 9 dishes we found only two outstanding. The remaining were interesting and good.Special Features:
- fit for foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014for foodies - this place maybe great as they experience the 7 course meal through the 3 hours - unfortunately for me and my wife we found this to be ok - not that the food is bad - the food is actually very good with a few exceptions - the soup was a bit on the salty side...although very flavorful,...the halibut was cooked perfectly but the lobster bisque sauce was a bit on the bland side - the wagyu beef - it was bit on the chewier side - foie gras...excellent ....and the wine pairing was great -Special Features:
- lotsadeacsDined on 8/31/2014Even though our cabbie couldn't find it (not that hard) he dropped us within a block. Glad we found our party as ambiance, food and service were absolutely first rate. Excellent meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful46x2Dined on 8/31/2014My husband and I experienced our 46th wedding anniversary this past week in Montreal and enjoyed many dining experiences. This was one of them. Be sure to ask for the marshmallow pot, which we did not see on the dessert menu, but saw it at another table. What fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding french foodfishmongerVIPDined on 8/31/2014This was our second time dining at Chez L'Épicier. Coming from New York City, we've seen our fair share of high end restaurants. This fine establishment, however, can easily compare with the best of them. Cream of corn soup was sublime. So good that I would have licked the plate, if it was socially acceptable. Next came the gnocchi, which was also delicious. Nice surprise on the crispy outer layer of the gnocchi, while the inside was soft and juicy. Desert was a Creme Brulee sampler of 4 little cups of sweet and creamy goodness. Highly recommended! We definitely plan on coming back when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tête à têteStbabinDined on 8/23/2014We experienced the 5 course with wine matching. It was superb. Service from Julien and the team was excellent. Great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite in Old Montreal!PattyDined on 8/17/2014For some reason, this exquisite restaurant does not appear on everyone's list of Old Town's amazing restaurants. We dined in some of the best during our week in Montreal, and this was our favorite. A small menu of mostly locally-sourced food, all perfectly prepared, beautiful and delicious. The restaurant is not ostentatious, so if that's what you're looking for, you won't find it here. But if it's the dining you want, don't miss L'Épicier. Our server was knowledgable about food and wine, so you might take their suggestions.Special Features:
- Excellent meallinkruDined on 8/10/2014Charming restaurant in lovely setting in old Montreal ,.. Attention to subtleties of food. Lovely presentations. Wonderful dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outLove2eatDined on 8/7/2014Overall-great atmosphere with great food and wine. And the bloody bacon Caesar if you are a Caesar lover Amuse bouche was excellent-macaroons with an olive goat cheese center - perfect combination of salt and sweet Appetizers-lobster bisque was amazing. If you like seafood you will enjoy it. My wife had the fish and chips-raw Japanese white fish thinly cut with greens and potato chips that was a refreshing taste. Main courses-seafood dish with scallops and cod with veggies and a little coating of the lobster bisque. The other one was a gnudi ricotta meal with small diced tomatoes. Both were excellent and filling Dessert-2 macaroons (couldn't eat anymore). Other one was brownie with a seasoned pear sorbet and pear that felt like 'pop rocks'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointed and overrated!Luv2eatVIPDined on 8/7/2014Our first dinner in Montreal and so dissapointed we wasted a meal here. There are so many better places to choose. The staff is friendly but the food sounds creative but has no flavor. Shrimp salad appatizer has less flavor than our grocery store. Lobster bisque was cold and bland. Fish and chips were rare fish with boring tartar sauce and pieces of fried crisps. Entries were no better. Our entire group left dissapointed.
- hermesVIPDined on 8/6/2014Great service and atmosphere, but menu and preparation was slightly off, and perhaps overpriced for the final quality of what was served. (e.g., $16 lobster bisque was "meh")
- Viva L'EpicierbobbarbaraVIPDined on 8/4/2014Arrived at the restaurant with high expectations and departed happily because the experience more than met our expectations.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantMarcelleetRobertDined on 8/3/2014Nous avons choisi le menu dégustation sept services et nous n'avons pas été déçus. Tous les plats étaient délicieux et bien présentés. Les portions étaient correctes pour un sept services. Enfin le service était courtois et sympathique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014The waiter was great, the food came rather quickly and everything was good. However, I feel the price is a bit exaggerated for the portion and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experience!Cashew25Dined on 8/1/2014We reallly enjoyed or experience: great food with an amazing presentation, interesting flavors, excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTonyDined on 8/1/2014This wonderful spot in Old Montreal is a special find. With a relaxed atmosphere it still manages to provide an outstanding dining experience with local ingredients prepared in exciting ways. You cannot go wrong here but reservations are a necessity to avoid being disappointed.Special Features:
- Montreal TreatVtroversDined on 7/26/2014If you want a special high quality chic restaurant to celebrate a special event, consider this one. Be sure to make reservations for each table is filled before the evening ends. Your table is yours for the evening and you are treated like royalty. The menu is very special and the plates are very chic. The dining experience is very noteworthy.Special Features:
- All Around WonderfulKTRespondsDined on 7/25/2014This was a wonderful experience in every way. Food and wines were all superb. Service was knowledgeable, efficient, and friendly. It can be difficult to eat dairy-free in a French restaurant, but L'Epicier made it very easy.Special Features:
- One of the best dinners everJohnDined on 7/25/2014When we were in Montreal 5 years ago we had a great experience in this restaurant and this time it was even better! With fresh buns produced in house and a great and interesting menu. The entire wait staff were very attentive but our waiter was magic with matching our wine to our meal. If you want a perfect meal served the way it should be this a do not miss location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderfulBobdavidDined on 7/24/2014In a city that's full of fine restaurants, this is truly a special place. Fabulous, creative food. Beautifully presented. In a setting that's not at all pretentious. A real dining experience, well worth the price.Special Features:
- A great find!TravellerDined on 7/21/2014Fantastic restaurant! Excellent food, good service, great ambiance. Wine list a bit top heavy on price ($3700 really?!) but overall a good selection. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDaliad411Dined on 7/21/2014Beautiful restaurant with unexpected warmth and charm, but the food is disappointing to say the least. The tastiest part of the meal was the complimentary goat cheese macaroon which was brought in lieu of bread. Very tasty and original. After that it was a series of tasteless disappointments. Gnudi tasted and had the consistency of unflavored fried tofu, in a boring tomato sauce. Lobster was served with a tasteless polenta. All in all, a beautiful restaurant good for ambiance, but disappointing food.Special Features:
- Top FormmcmsfVIPDined on 7/16/2014Food, service, ambiance (relaxed but classy)--all great. Still tasting the wonderful tenderloin and the wine--a rhone (which I normally avoid in favor of cabernet) which our waiter recommended was spot on. Returning for a second dinner in a few days.Special Features:
- DisappointedShismoVIPDined on 7/15/2014This restaurant showed great promise but, failed in the execution. The lobster bisque had to be sent back as it was served cold. It tasted quite bland. The wild Quebec mushrooms, a delightful idea, however, all three servings were full of sand and were sent back. The beef tartar looked as if it was spattered on the plate. It was made with crunchy bits that turned out to be beef jerky. Terrible mouth feel. On the positive side, the olive macaron amuse guelles and lobster poached in butter served with a polenta purée were exquisite and the sommelier recommended a great wine.
- Stellar diningkudzuDined on 7/15/2014My dining companion and I decided to opt for the tasting menu, and were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfuldelitefulDined on 7/14/2014Had a lovely meal here. Food was truly delicious...and also very light. Portions were perfect...not too big, not too small. And the staff was lovely!! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What an experience!BarryDined on 7/14/2014Went to celebrate our anniversary. Selected the sampler with wine pairing. What a wonderful experience. Food was excellent. Delicious. Nicely presented. The wine pairing was superb. Wines we had not experienced before - all excellent and well matched with the course being served. Will return for a "regular" dinner next visit to Montréal.Special Features:
- Almost thereMarkushaDined on 7/12/2014The food was excellent but they had asparagus listed in the menu with none available early in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.