20 West 72nd Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sambucanyc.com/
- Phone: 2127875656x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 4:45pm - 10:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 4:45pm - 11:00pm; Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Executive Chef: Enrique Iturralde
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-premise catering
- Private Party Facilities: Ideally located on the UWS, steps away from Central Park. Sambuca offers traditional Southern Italian cuisine served family style. We can accomodate groups from 15 to 240 guests. Private Room and entire restaurant availability.
Great food and excellent service in a warm and welcoming enviroment!
- Private Party Contact: Allie McCaw 2127875656x
A word from Sambuca
At Sambuca, we serve Southern Italian Food the old fashioned way -“Family Style”. Our generous portions are served on platters so everyone can share in the delicious fun. The wonderful aromas and mouth watering flavors will remind you of what Italian food is all about. So when you are thinking of a place go for dinner with 1,2 or 200 of your friends, family or business associates, think of Sambuca! Come and join us at Sambuca and let "Our family serve your family"!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Sambuca - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Sambuca reviews from OpenTable diners
377 reviews since May 18, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (230)special occasion (178)neighborhood gem (176)fit for foodies (117)late-night find (79)great for brunch (54)good for groups (40)notable wine list (37)hot spot (34)great for lunch (27)vibrant bar scene (24)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I was introduced to Chez Josephine's about 10 years ago. It was a gem then and still is. The ambience is fantastic. The food superb and the staff are sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long-time fanOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Chez Josephine has been a favorite spot of mine for years. I love the decor and atmosphere, which manage to be fun and special, yet relaxed and not at all stuffy. The personality of the owner, who is a bit of a character, definitely shapes the experience. Very warm, friendly, and unique. A great place for a date or dinner with a friend.Special Features:
- Great dinner before showjackDined on 9/13/2014Great food and service and they got us out on time for the showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnifique!GrandmereVIPDined on 9/13/2014Being a native New Yorker, I can't believe my husband and I have never dined here before. The atmosphere was as lovely as the nicest restaurant in Paris, and the pianist a definite enhancement. The waitstaff was professional and worked smoothly with each other so that the meal was "orchestrated" in perfect time. Our server, Julio, was a delight, and made certain that we were satisfied with everything; he was well aware that although we had theatre tickets, we wanted to savor each course unhurriedly. My husband's meal of onion soup and filet mignon was exemplary, and he mentioned that it was the finest filet he can remember eating. I enjoyed my scallops, but did not care for the accompaniment. My husband rates the food as "outstanding."Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014This is my favorite restaurant to visit when I am in NYC. I ordered the lobster salad this time and it was delicious! Prepared Perfectly. Jean Claude had already left for the evening,I had wanted to say hello.I hope he is there when you visit.The piano player was incredible. It is always a memorable experience!Special Features:
- dinner and musicArteVIPDined on 9/12/2014I had forgotten how wonderful the piano player is...and how great the food is
- TigerVIPDined on 9/10/2014outstanding food !!! expensive of course !!! great wines !!Special Features:
- Great Time and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2014My wife and I were there for dinner while on our honeymoon, Escargot was amazing. I had the liver, which was outstanding. My wife had the duck, which was tender, and extremely tasty, without being gamey. Atmosphere was great with piano player in the background.Special Features:
- Great PlaceLambdaDined on 9/7/2014Came here for my wedding dinner. Service was responsive and polite, the courses came out at good speed, and he setting was fun. Had a pianist playing, which helped add to it's appeal. My only dissent is the rolls weren't very fresh, but otherwise the food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherNycdinersDined on 9/7/2014The restaurant looks beautiful but the wait staff was extremely rude and unfriendly. My "seafood omelette" had one piece of crab in it, about the size of a chocolate chip. My friend ordered salmon with couscous - neither had any seasoning or taste. The only bright spot was the dessert, which was delicious. Sadly it was served to us by an extremely grumpy waiter.Special Features:
- Pre theater diningcajoVIPDined on 9/6/2014Good food in general but prices can be high, not unusual for this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smitty3Dined on 9/6/2014The service at Chez Josephine was perfect and the food was outstanding. All present enjoyed themselves and I would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem harkening from the pastOhLaLaDined on 9/6/2014Highly recommend this dining experience! The Host/Owner is the quintessential host! Every restauranteur could learn much from him. Great ambiance, alert staff, lovely live background music that is not your usual "club piano, the menu has something for every palate ( escargot, duck to fried chicken) in good portions!Special Features:
- Best pre-theater restaurantChrisVVIPDined on 9/5/2014Easily the best place to go before going to a show. I have been here a few times and always enjoy it. The food is predictably good, the service is excellent, and the ambiance is very "classic New York".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAmkjrs2004Dined on 9/4/2014We chose this restaurant for proximity to where we were heading(sunset cruise) , it being a French restaurant and interesting nod and connection to Josephine Baker (with associated decor) . Staff were superb, professional and friendly. Seems excellent for theater crowd with a good mix of locals. When we come back to NY, we will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable but!kimbroughflDined on 9/4/2014Wonderful atmosphere and excellent service in the theater district. I thought the food was okay but suprised that it was not better for the price.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/2/2014We had a wonderful dinner after theater and qualified for the free theater glasses of wine. We both ate the escargots appetizer and both had the Lobster bouillabaise for a main course. Delicious!Special Features:
- Always on our listKatieBVIPDined on 9/2/2014when we come to New York, we always include a night at Chez Josephine. The french food is always delicious. I had the lobster salad, so refreshing on a hot humid night. Big, generous chunks of lobster. My husband had a filet, his go-to choice in most places. The staff has been there a long time and the murals of Josephine Baker never cease to delight.Special Features:
- FRENCH CUISINE IN APPLE CORE!!deanoVIPDined on 9/2/2014Arrived a bit early, was greeted and seated nicely by Maitre D. Seemless seating to "quiet" table I had requested. Not an overly busy Menu, but good solid selection of French specialties. I chose wisely and the appetizer along with the Filet were outstanding!! Andre CloutierSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- arlakDined on 8/31/2014Went to see Lady Day on Broadway. Chez Josephine kept with the theme. Good food (should get the bread from somewhere else), interesting décor, and great service. It was a pleasant end to our Broadway experience!Special Features:
- CHEZ JOSPEHINE A WINNERLOVE2EATFRENCHFOODDined on 8/30/2014wE HAD 6 PEOPLE IN OUR PARTY. WE WERE GOING TO THE THEATER. SERVICE WAS EXCELLENT.MYSELF AND A FRIEND HAD THE LOBSTER SALAD , A SPECIAL THAT NIGHT, WAS SUPERB. MY HUSBAND HAD THE LIVER AND SAID IT WAS THE BEST HE HAS EVER EATEN. THE OTHER MEMEBERS OF OUR GROUP HAD DUCK, LAMB CHOPS AND SCALLOPS/ WE ALSO HAD ESCARGOT, ONION SOUP AND SHRIMP COCKTAIL AS APPETIZERS AND MOST OF US HAD WINE. IN SHORT THE FOOD WAS SUPERB AS WELL AS THE SERVICE. EVERYBODY WAS EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH THEIR MEAL. MY HUSBAND AND I WERE IN NYC VISITING FAMILY AND FRIENDS, I WILL DEFINITELY RECOMMEND AND WILL GO BACK WHEN I COME TO NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WALLYWUVIPDined on 8/30/2014Perfectly delightful. A neighborhood gem not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Josephine was terrificHazzardsDined on 8/30/2014We went pre-Broadway show, they were very attentive in asking people if they had theater tickets and the service was quite good. The food was delicious and the atmosphere very festive. Only caution - seats are very close together, which is the case in most NYC establishments but if you are seeking romance and privacy this is not the best place for that.Special Features:
- Always a TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/30/2014Would return again tomorrow if I could. Jean Claude is the consummate host. He greets you as a friend and made us feel like royalty! The service is impeccable, the food is a work of art and a delight to the palate. Always aware that there may be theater following dinner, they strive to make your dining experience delightful and yet get you out on time for the theater, and you never feel rushed. Piano player is an added treat. Escargot is the best we've had; beef wellington was melt in your mouth scrumptious and lobster salad was delicious and prepared so that I could enjoy it without working for it. Chez Josephine is a perfect way to start or end an evening in the city and if you live in the vicinity it would be hard to stay away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gem in Theater DistrictcaptainbtjVIPDined on 8/29/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience at Chez Josephine. This is a neighborhood gem, and we were very satisfied with the overall experience. Food was excellent. The host (Jean-Claude) was gracious and the staff was super attentive. The piano music was great and overall atmosphere was festive and fun. We'll definitely return!Special Features:
- What a findwestieDined on 8/29/2014From beginning to end my husband and I had a great experience at this neighborhood gem. We had an early dinner before a play and it was delicious, well paced. We both had from the daily specials. The restaurant is dimly lit which made it an elegant, romantic experience as opposed to a bustling, theatre row eatery. Unfortunately being from out of town, we can't go back as frequently as we would likeSpecial Features:
- Special night outjustthebestDined on 8/27/2014I took my wife to Chez Josephine for our 20th wedding anniversary. We were welcomed at the door by the friendly staff and shown to our table by the piano. The pianist was a very talented bluesy 50's style singer/player which added to the already warm ambiance of the restaurant. Our waiter, Max, was terrific. Our service was outstanding, well timed and the food was first class plus. The extra added touches by the chef, decorating our dessert dishes with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate around the rim was very thoughtful and touching. This is a very special restaurant which I would highly recommend for any occasion but especially for those special occasions where you want the absolute best for you and your family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good soup, terrible chickendisappointedVIPDined on 8/27/2014The onion soup was, as usual, delicious...A yen for fried chicken made me order that iconic dish..What a mistake.... the chicken was dry and difficult to cut....The corn bread, [a French version ?] was in edible as well. Perhaps that entire dish should be retired from the menu, despite its gentle price .
- Spot On!!shellybocaVIPDined on 8/26/2014Went on a trip to New York City for 3 days to see the sights. Live in Boca Raton and had not been there in awhile. Looked on Open Table for recommendations int eh area we were staying. Chez Josephine fit the bill. The evening was wonderful. We shared a salad and i had the liver--best i have ever eaten. my husband ordered the fried chicken which had been written up as a specialty. In a French bistro!! Delicious!! Piano player added to the ambiance. We requested a table not too close and were obliged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FerHelDined on 8/24/2014This was the third time we went for dining in Chez Josephine with friends. Once again, an outstanding experience in a very pleasand and romantic place. The food was delicious and the service quite good. By the way, the piano player has a very good and plays beautiful music. A friendly night to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exactly as expectedvegetarianVIPDined on 8/24/2014Piano music was too loud. Pleasant meals, seafood cassoulet was a delightful surprise.Special Features:
- We had a great time!14NYDined on 8/24/2014It was the perfect place to celebrate the 14th birthday of my daughter!Special Features:
- The BestNunsenseDined on 8/23/2014You won't be disappointed. There is nothing negative about this restaurant.Special Features:
- Just okSassyDined on 8/23/2014Went into city for a girls day. Based on reviews and French cuisine, selected Chez Josephine. Was disappointed. Food was not as good as expected from reviews. Escargot was Luke warm and ordinary. Steaks were fair.
- Wonderful EveningJohnLynnDined on 8/23/2014We eat at Chez Josephine whenever we go to NYC and always find everything about it nothing short of wonderful. From being greeted at the door, being shown to our table, meeting our always wonderful waiter, and then the wine and food. A perfect experience I would recommend Chez Josephine to everyone.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperiencepretheaterdiningVIPDined on 8/23/2014We went to Chez Josephine before theater and arrived a bit late for a our reservation due to traffic. Our table was still waiting for us and they were able to take our order and feed us in a timely manner so that we didn't miss the show we were going to. The food was delicious and our server was attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Loved it!JTwardVIPDined on 8/23/2014We loved the live piano music, and that started a great night. The waiter was attentive and knew the wine list well. He made some great recommendations. The food was excellent, and we loved everything!Special Features:
- CanadianslikeRubysDined on 8/20/2014Beautiful restaurant with great history. The ambiance was superb. We came in for dessert after a Broadway show at the Amsterdam Theatre down the street. The desserts were delicious, but portions were very small for the price.Special Features:
- Worth visitingpariseleDined on 8/17/2014This is restaurant that will never disappoint and definitely worth visiting. Exceptional service and staff, very good food and presentation, good décor and piano music. I cannot comment on the wine list as I am not a drinker, but both the salmon and skirt steak were very well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite NYC restaurantSLEDDined on 8/17/2014Everyone in Chez provides outstanding, attentive service! If you have a show to see, they are sure to advise you of the best time to order and the best time to walk to the theatre. The location, right behind Port Authority, is so convenient and just a few blocks from Broadway Theatres and next door to great off Broadway Theatres. Food is fantastic with an eclectic selection of dishes from Josephine Baker's Southern favorites to Salmon grilled to perfection and more. The piano entertainment enhances the experience, so rare to find and so enjoyable. It is ALWAYS an enjoyable event to go to Chez. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.