1119 West Taylor
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chezjoelbistro.com/
- Phone: 3122266479
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00AM to 4:00PM
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00PM to 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 4:30PM to 11:00PM
Sunday: 3:00PM to 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Joel Kazouini
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please Join us for New Year's Eve 2 Hours four course price fix menu $75 Glass of Sparkling and Party Favors
A word from Chez Joel
In the midst of Little Italy, Chez Joel creates the tastes and aromas of France. Featuring traditional favorites, Chef joel Kazouini offers his straightforward, expertly prepared Southern French cuisine. Chez Joel’s atmosphere is reminiscent of a true French bistro; its walls adorned with French posters and tables covered with butcher paper. The cozy environment makes Chez Joel the perfect spot for any romantic meal, and when weather permits, garden tables offer an open-air experience where you’ll find one of the most divine al fresco dining settings in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Chez Joel reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (87)romantic (73)great for outdoor dining (69)special occasion (60)fit for foodies (46)notable wine list (25)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (12)good for groups (8)late-night find (6)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great all the timeCstacyVIPDined on 9/14/2014We love the food and to be able to eat outside when the weather is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon appetiteElleDined on 8/29/2014The service was timely, the space was cozy and the music related to theme of the restaurant. I enjoyed my Pear-is cocktail, the cheese platter was designed perfectly and the flavors were excellent, the entree was well seasoned and the finale dessert of puff pastry covered with chocolate shared by two was memorable. I will consider this my neighborhood gem, to treat myself or with my husband at least once a monthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in beautiful gardenChicagoDinerDined on 8/28/2014French themed menu. Duck with orange sauce was scrumptious. Filet mignon done perfectly. Vegetable sides were crisp. Garden setting makes it feel like Paris. Moderate prices make this place a bargain. They treated us nicely on our anniversary.Special Features:
- eddyjjreddyjjrDined on 8/26/2014CHEZ JOEL wonderful as usual!We had a guest from California who loved it. Our waiter was wonderful. Sorry , did not get his name. This is one of the best outdoor gardens in Chicago . We will be back.
- TonyDined on 8/26/2014This was my first time here and I was impressed on all levels from the food, service and setting. I was looking for something in the area that was not Italian and what a find! My guests were equally impressed. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014What a perfect birthday dinner we just had! From the unctuous mussels in herb cream sauce to the fork tender lamb shank in sumptuous gravy; the meal just hit on all of the right notes. The birthday mini creme brûlée was the right final note to accompany the parting espresso. Great service, great ambience, just a perfect meal. We'll definitely be back the next time we're seeking high quality bistro food in a fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChampagneDutchieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Been to chez Joel a few times. Every time was great, indoors or outdoors. Food always consistent. Staff always friendly and accommodating.however they did not acknowledge receipt of allergies for one of our party.Special Features:
- Top NotchGronzilaDined on 8/16/2014I've come to Chez Joel 3 times. Each time the same. Great food, impeccable service and a very comfortable venue. This is a gem. One of my favorite places to go.Special Features:
- Great Spot for Romantic DinnerMariaDined on 8/13/2014This is the place to go for a romantic outdoor dinner in the summer. They have a lovely garden out back, and the ambience is perfect. The food was excellent, and the prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date restaurant!UmursDined on 8/10/2014Definitely recommend to anybody. Very decent, good food, good service, good ambiance. Of course, it is not very economical but still prices are not horrible. They also gifted us a desert and champagne because it was a birthday event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eddyjjreddyjjrDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful Chez Joel. We love this place for outdoor dining. we will have guests from California coming late this month and plan to come back. It was a beautiful night. Our waiter was very nice, did not get his name. A handsome French man. He went out of his way to accommodate a special dietary need for my friend. Thank you.Special Features:
- guestfoodieek65Dined on 8/7/2014great garden and good french food. would be nice if the menu would change a bitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bon appetithungryhungrymeDined on 8/6/2014great food! sevice and everything was awesome! i would def. come back!Special Features:
- A bit disappointedMJ07VIPDined on 8/1/2014I picked this place to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. Given the raving Yelp reviews, I was expecting to walk away very satisfied. The mussels was good, as others mentioned. But both my duck confit and my boyfriend's steak frites were over-cooked (well-done for duck confit instead of medium and close to well-done for steak frites instead of medium rare). We got the chocolate fondant as dessert, which was OK. All in all, I would say it was an OK experience. The restaurant is very cute though; brings me back to Paris a bit.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem...mooresyVIPDined on 7/27/2014Had been wanting to get to Chez Joel for dinner for quite some time but i had never quite worked out, so was glad when i was finally about to get there a couple days ago. We were immediately greeted and seated in the outdoor area which is spacious and comfortable. We ordered our appetizers, my the grilled calamari and he the escargots. Both expertly presented and delicious on taste. The calamari especially went so well with the pesto and other flavors on the plate. I then ordered the steak frites and he the Coq au vin. When i got my steak it was slightly over cooked and so we ended up switching and i was glad i did cause the chicken was juicy and so full of flavor. Do not miss their crispy paper thin fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Joel continues to pleasetoledofoodiesDined on 7/26/2014Whenever we're in town we always make it a point to visit Chez Joel. Not only do we find it consistently good, but so do our friends. If you are looking for a small French restaurant with good food, you'll find it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food, great experience!IndianaFoodieDined on 7/25/2014This was our first time dining at Chez Joel and the experience couldn't have been better. The staff was very flexible with our reservation since we were running a bit late and were still able to accommodate us with outdoor seating on a perfect night to eat outdoors. The courtyard dining area is quaint and well shielded from the street with only the loudest vehicles reminding you that you are in downtown Chicago. The food was simple, hearty French inspired cuisine that hit the mark with each course and our service was attentive yet not invasive. I would highly recommend this gem to anyone seeking a quality dining experience. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Chez Joel is one of our favorite spots in the neighborhood. Food is always well-prepared and of a consistently high quality. Our server was very professional and approachable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Chez Joel never disappoints with their menu or their service. Excellent price pointsSpecial Features:
- Great evening outGloryDined on 7/23/2014After waiting for service (there was a big party outside). We settled down to eNjoy good French food in a relaxed atmosphere. Generous wine pour and friendly service added to the pleasant ambiance. Be sure to get valet parking.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Excellent food and service. Perfect summer setting. Excellent menu selections.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!joaneDined on 7/19/2014Absolutely charming french restaurant in tge middle of Taylor street. Beautiful outdoor patio with chandeliers and all. Very attentive wait staff, we had Agnes...she was awesome. The food was delicious! Cant wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerrkassnelDined on 7/18/2014Excellent food. It's one of our go-to places in the neighborhood. Wonderful ambiance inside, but there is also an intimate patio. It's great to live near a place like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dining Value in the City ?OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/18/2014Chez Joel keeps getting better and better. The changes can be incremental, but lovely -- for example the new flooring, mirrors and bar. Like the changes in decor, the changes in food are subtle but constantly improving -- for example the regular fish specials and the desserts. All in all, this is a restaurant filled with grace and beauty. And the food is as good as almost any place in the city. For the price, you cannot find better.Special Features:
- Lunchtime findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/15/2014Just enjoyed another wonderful, delicious lunch/reunion with a good friend. Chez Joel is lively enough to stimulate diners, quiet enough to permit a good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NickyVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food was excellent, as always, but the noise level was horrible. We couldn't have a conversation among the four of us. It made the evening's meal tough to digest.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OustandingLoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 7/12/2014The only word I can give this restaurant is outstanding. This was our first time at Chez Joel. We had read many reviews and decided it was worth the drive from the north suburbs. We were not disappointed. Our server gave us some suggestions and every one was right on target. My friend had the Lamb Shank and I had the Duck, both were superb. Their Escargot and Caesar salad were also very good and their dessert was equally as good. We would highly recommend this restaurant. The only negative is that it gets very noisy when it the restaurant is busy. Hopefully, the next time we go we can be seated in the garden. They closed it because of inclement weather.Special Features:
- A gem!HisLordshipDined on 7/8/2014A terrific evening on the terrace, from a perfect martini through luscious almond cake. 4 different entrees among us were each delicious, and original.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- corkieVIPDined on 7/8/2014We have been going to Chez Joel for 40 years and are never disappointed in anything about this restaurant. At lunch they have a PreFix menu and it is delicious and very filling. My pet peeve in restaurants is overdressing the salad. That never happens at Chez Joel. Seasonings are perfect. Nothing is over salted. Another pet peeve. All in all, Chez Joel is a keeper in our books.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FindcitycharmDined on 7/6/2014A restaurant frequented by local crowd but welcoming to new faces as well. Very energetict indoor dining room. Outdoor dining majez you forget you're still in the city. Food is outstanding with impeccable service. Ask for Ibby; she's charming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem!DNishiDined on 7/5/2014Our nine year old requests Chez Joel and outdoor dining for her birthday, and is never disappointed. The outdoor seating is great, even in the rain, and the food is always perfectly done.Special Features:
- What A Great FindFrankieDined on 7/5/2014This was my first time at Chez Joel as well as my birthday and I couldn't be more pleased with the experience. The service was above and beyond expectations; the food and preparation was excellent and the only negative I have is the garlic frog legs were not reminiscent of the typical way it is prepared in France and I found the sauce sour and not tasty. The moules were absolutely wonderful; the steak frits were beyond our expectations and done perfectly. A birthday surprise of a perfect crème brulee and a glass of bubbly. I can't wait to return and enjoy a little taste of France.Special Features:
- Service too rushedmikenspikeVIPDined on 7/3/2014Loved the food--steak and ravioli--but the service was a bit pusby and rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming bistroOrangetabbyVIPDined on 6/27/2014We tried Chez Joel for the first time last week, and per the great reviews, it did not disappoint. They gave us glasses of champagne (a nice touch) per our note that it was our wedding anniversary. Food was well prepared and ingredients were fresh. Chèvre salad was well dressed, although the tiny piece of toast with chèvre was a bit on the stingy side. Duck and special halibut were both very good; however, the plating was overwrought with lots of swipes of sauces and bits of this and that. Simpler would be better. Final little peeve--the air conditioning controls were directly over my seat, so at one point in the evening the host abruptly reached over my head for the controls. A little unnerving but overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Good solid French cuisineGMY68Dined on 6/25/2014It's not a fancy menu. there's no "fusion," no "small plates," no pretense. Just good French cuisine in a warm and inviting setting. My husband's lamb shank was amazing and my steak frites delicious. Great service--friendly, knowledgable, prompt but not pushy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic garden settingyummiliciousDined on 6/22/2014This was a wonderful find. Had to take a taxi but well worth it. Spiro and company were great. Service was excellent. Food was delicious. Loved the patio. Perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always feel welcome!CstacyVIPDined on 6/21/2014We really enjoy having dinner, and sometimes lunch, here! The staff is always professional, personable, and helpful! The food is always great! We love to sit out in the garden, weather permitting! It's so pretty, relaxing, and romantic!Special Features:
- Chez JoelfoodieDined on 6/15/2014It is a charming little place nestled in little Italy. The food is always delightful as was our salmon and sea bass. Dessert was the yummy profiteroles. Wine list is good. A nice place to have a great meal without being rushed. They were very busy so service was slow, but okay for us.Special Features:
- Never disappointsfoodieDined on 6/13/2014The size of the restaurant is a nice feature. The quality of the food preparation is excellent with a nice menu that hints of high French cooking, without being overly expensive. I appreciate their willingness to do plate splitting in the kitchen. I was with someone who had not been there previously and will definitely return as I will.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a quiet, romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014My wife and I went out for our anniversary. I like a quiet setting on such occasions so that I can hear my wife. We've been to the restaurant before and we love the cuisine and ambiance. My wife had steak au poivre and I always pick the filet mignon. Steaks were juicy and perfectly seasoned. The accompanying veggies and mashed potatoes were beyond delicious and quickly gobbled up. We love to taste each others food and those tastings added to our pleasure. Our appetizer that evening was pate, which was indescribable. And for dessert I had the apple tart with marzipan crust which satisfied my sweet tooth in spades. We chatted the evening away and left well after closing with smiles on our faces. What can I say? A perfect evening.Special Features: