1119 West Taylor
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chezjoelbistro.com/
- Phone: (312) 226-6479
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00AM to 4:00PM
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00PM to 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 4:30PM to 11:00PM
Sunday: 3:00PM to 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Joel Kazouini
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please Join us for New Year's Eve 2 Hours four course price fix menu $75 Glass of Sparkling and Party Favors
A word from Chez Joel
In the midst of Little Italy, Chez Joel creates the tastes and aromas of France. Featuring traditional favorites, Chef joel Kazouini offers his straightforward, expertly prepared Southern French cuisine. Chez Joel’s atmosphere is reminiscent of a true French bistro; its walls adorned with French posters and tables covered with butcher paper. The cozy environment makes Chez Joel the perfect spot for any romantic meal, and when weather permits, garden tables offer an open-air experience where you’ll find one of the most divine al fresco dining settings in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Chez Joel reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (73)romantic (68)special occasion (53)fit for foodies (47)great for outdoor dining (35)notable wine list (22)great for lunch (17)good for groups (5)great for brunch (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Always EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Chez Joel is one of our favorite spots in the neighborhood. Food is always well-prepared and of a consistently high quality. Our server was very professional and approachable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/24/2014Chez Joel never disappoints with their menu or their service. Excellent price pointsSpecial Features:
- Great evening outGloryDined on 7/23/2014After waiting for service (there was a big party outside). We settled down to eNjoy good French food in a relaxed atmosphere. Generous wine pour and friendly service added to the pleasant ambiance. Be sure to get valet parking.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/23/2014Excellent food and service. Perfect summer setting. Excellent menu selections.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!joaneDined on 7/19/2014Absolutely charming french restaurant in tge middle of Taylor street. Beautiful outdoor patio with chandeliers and all. Very attentive wait staff, we had Agnes...she was awesome. The food was delicious! Cant wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerrkassnelDined on 7/18/2014Excellent food. It's one of our go-to places in the neighborhood. Wonderful ambiance inside, but there is also an intimate patio. It's great to live near a place like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dining Value in the City ?Jlaing5VIPDined on 7/18/2014Chez Joel keeps getting better and better. The changes can be incremental, but lovely -- for example the new flooring, mirrors and bar. Like the changes in decor, the changes in food are subtle but constantly improving -- for example the regular fish specials and the desserts. All in all, this is a restaurant filled with grace and beauty. And the food is as good as almost any place in the city. For the price, you cannot find better.Special Features:
- Lunchtime findOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/15/2014Just enjoyed another wonderful, delicious lunch/reunion with a good friend. Chez Joel is lively enough to stimulate diners, quiet enough to permit a good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NickyVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food was excellent, as always, but the noise level was horrible. We couldn't have a conversation among the four of us. It made the evening's meal tough to digest.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OustandingLoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 7/12/2014The only word I can give this restaurant is outstanding. This was our first time at Chez Joel. We had read many reviews and decided it was worth the drive from the north suburbs. We were not disappointed. Our server gave us some suggestions and every one was right on target. My friend had the Lamb Shank and I had the Duck, both were superb. Their Escargot and Caesar salad were also very good and their dessert was equally as good. We would highly recommend this restaurant. The only negative is that it gets very noisy when it the restaurant is busy. Hopefully, the next time we go we can be seated in the garden. They closed it because of inclement weather.Special Features:
- A gem!HisLordshipDined on 7/8/2014A terrific evening on the terrace, from a perfect martini through luscious almond cake. 4 different entrees among us were each delicious, and original.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- corkieVIPDined on 7/8/2014We have been going to Chez Joel for 40 years and are never disappointed in anything about this restaurant. At lunch they have a PreFix menu and it is delicious and very filling. My pet peeve in restaurants is overdressing the salad. That never happens at Chez Joel. Seasonings are perfect. Nothing is over salted. Another pet peeve. All in all, Chez Joel is a keeper in our books.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FindcitycharmDined on 7/6/2014A restaurant frequented by local crowd but welcoming to new faces as well. Very energetict indoor dining room. Outdoor dining majez you forget you're still in the city. Food is outstanding with impeccable service. Ask for Ibby; she's charming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Gem!DNishiDined on 7/5/2014Our nine year old requests Chez Joel and outdoor dining for her birthday, and is never disappointed. The outdoor seating is great, even in the rain, and the food is always perfectly done.Special Features:
- What A Great FindFrankieDined on 7/5/2014This was my first time at Chez Joel as well as my birthday and I couldn't be more pleased with the experience. The service was above and beyond expectations; the food and preparation was excellent and the only negative I have is the garlic frog legs were not reminiscent of the typical way it is prepared in France and I found the sauce sour and not tasty. The moules were absolutely wonderful; the steak frits were beyond our expectations and done perfectly. A birthday surprise of a perfect crème brulee and a glass of bubbly. I can't wait to return and enjoy a little taste of France.Special Features:
- Service too rushedmikenspikeVIPDined on 7/3/2014Loved the food--steak and ravioli--but the service was a bit pusby and rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming bistroOrangetabbyVIPDined on 6/27/2014We tried Chez Joel for the first time last week, and per the great reviews, it did not disappoint. They gave us glasses of champagne (a nice touch) per our note that it was our wedding anniversary. Food was well prepared and ingredients were fresh. Chèvre salad was well dressed, although the tiny piece of toast with chèvre was a bit on the stingy side. Duck and special halibut were both very good; however, the plating was overwrought with lots of swipes of sauces and bits of this and that. Simpler would be better. Final little peeve--the air conditioning controls were directly over my seat, so at one point in the evening the host abruptly reached over my head for the controls. A little unnerving but overall a good experience.Special Features:
- Good solid French cuisineGMY68Dined on 6/25/2014It's not a fancy menu. there's no "fusion," no "small plates," no pretense. Just good French cuisine in a warm and inviting setting. My husband's lamb shank was amazing and my steak frites delicious. Great service--friendly, knowledgable, prompt but not pushy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic garden settingyummiliciousDined on 6/22/2014This was a wonderful find. Had to take a taxi but well worth it. Spiro and company were great. Service was excellent. Food was delicious. Loved the patio. Perfect night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always feel welcome!CstacyVIPDined on 6/21/2014We really enjoy having dinner, and sometimes lunch, here! The staff is always professional, personable, and helpful! The food is always great! We love to sit out in the garden, weather permitting! It's so pretty, relaxing, and romantic!Special Features:
- Chez JoelfoodieVIPDined on 6/15/2014It is a charming little place nestled in little Italy. The food is always delightful as was our salmon and sea bass. Dessert was the yummy profiteroles. Wine list is good. A nice place to have a great meal without being rushed. They were very busy so service was slow, but okay for us.Special Features:
- Never disappointsfoodieDined on 6/13/2014The size of the restaurant is a nice feature. The quality of the food preparation is excellent with a nice menu that hints of high French cooking, without being overly expensive. I appreciate their willingness to do plate splitting in the kitchen. I was with someone who had not been there previously and will definitely return as I will.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a quiet, romantic dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014My wife and I went out for our anniversary. I like a quiet setting on such occasions so that I can hear my wife. We've been to the restaurant before and we love the cuisine and ambiance. My wife had steak au poivre and I always pick the filet mignon. Steaks were juicy and perfectly seasoned. The accompanying veggies and mashed potatoes were beyond delicious and quickly gobbled up. We love to taste each others food and those tastings added to our pleasure. Our appetizer that evening was pate, which was indescribable. And for dessert I had the apple tart with marzipan crust which satisfied my sweet tooth in spades. We chatted the evening away and left well after closing with smiles on our faces. What can I say? A perfect evening.Special Features:
- French in an Italian NeighborhoodLoriKVIPDined on 6/12/2014We love Chez Joel. Tucked away in Little Italy on Taylor Street, surrounded by Italian restaurants, you find Chez Joel. Food is very good and very Bistro French. Great atmosphere! Menu is varied but something for everyone. Would say for everyone to give it a try!! Valet Parking and a nice wine list!Special Features:
- so glad we found this placegreatDined on 6/7/2014we love it! we have been here twice this month to enjoy the outdoor garden and are so happy we found it! Chez Joel is a gem in Little Italy and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night!JasonPDined on 6/7/2014My partner and I have been to Chez Joel 4 times in the past 3 months. Having recently moved to this area of the city and dining at the local restaurants, Chez Joel has most certainly become one of our favorites for consistency in food and service. It's one of those restaurants that every time I dine I make a point to try something different..each time never disappointing. It's a frech restaurant with out the french attitude if that makes sense? This past experience I had the halibut special and my partner had the filet mignon. My fish was top notch and I didn't want the last bite to be the last bite. The Pear-is martini is a must-have as well! Service is very good..can be a bit slow when at full capacity..but hey..who cares!Special Features:
- Such a great placeLSFChicGoVIPDined on 6/6/2014Wonderful food, great server, loved every minute. Had their beet salad and kobia fish special and both were delicious. Can't go wrong with steak either. The apple tart for dessert and the profiteroles were great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findMichaelKVIPDined on 6/5/2014Chez Joel was recommended to us by a colleague who lives and works in Chicago. We do not. This was our second trip in as many months to Chez Joel -- all three of us liked it that much. It is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant with French bistro food that matches many more expensive, fancier restaurants. We will have one more trip to Chicago for work in July -- we will return to this fabulous little place. This visit the restaurant was serving outdoors as well as in. We had not seen the outdoors on the first visit. It is a welcoming space.Special Features:
- luv2dineoutworldwideVIPDined on 6/4/2014The food was fine but the service was poor. The restaurant was not busy - we had to ask and wait for a long time for extra bread. There was no reason given for the wait and there weren't many guests so we couldn't understand the problem.Special Features:
- new neighborhood favoritejessDined on 5/31/2014i've been meaning to try this place for awhile and finally did last saturday. my mom was in town visiting my sister & i. we had a late lunch elsewhere, so dinner reservations were at 8:30 pm. i wasn't very hungry and it had been a long day, so we didn't order wine or the whole works. just an entree (and i had an appetizer + salad). then dessert, of course. all so so so incredibly tasty, high quality. the people are very pleasant (even when i ordered just water!). creme brulee is to-die-for, along with the apple tart. scallops = awesome. seafood pasta = awesome. salads = awesome. my new neighborhood favorite!Special Features:
- Poetry of PlaceMacyDined on 5/31/2014I dine there every time I am in Chicago, at least once a year. The staff, both at the bar and tables, treat you like they know you, even if they don't, and the food is reliably good. I am always pleasantly surprised at how much I like a new wine I try; and the educated variety of wines are very reasonably priced. It would take a romantic poet to adequately describe the intimate neighborhood restaurant's comfortable character; to me it just feels exactly right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FrenchReviewerDined on 5/31/2014A great French bistro. We have dined here twice now and enjoyed coq au vin and steak frites. We really liked it and would definitely recommend a visit. Our waiter was very attentive as well. The outdoor patio was perfect for a warm Saturday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!eaterholicVIPDined on 5/30/2014Dining al fresco in the patio was extremely pleasant in the beginning of the summer. Wild mushroom soup, caesar salad, grilled salmon, seared ahi tuna, and creme brûlée were all terrific. The cocktails were refreshing too. Very professional service.Special Features:
- A Real FinddavidwVIPDined on 5/29/2014This restaurant is a bit off the beaten path as it's located in Little Italy, a bit outside the downtown area. But, it's easily accessible on the Blue Line from anywhere in the loop, and well worth the short trip. A friend described this as a "sweet little restaurant" and it's definitely that. The food is excellent, the service is professional, and the restaurant lends itself to good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez JoelSatisfriedDined on 5/18/2014Sea Bass was excellent. Ny Strip Steak haS some grizzle but overall a very pleasant eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific MealMichaelKVIPDined on 5/18/2014We are visiting from out of town and got a recommendation to try Chez Joel from a Chicago-based friend. What a wonderful recommendation. We will return. Food, service and ambience all were excellent. Except for the English being spoken around us, it felt like a small bistro in Paris. Two of us shared the fabulous coq a vin, and one of us had steak frites. Both entrees were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Lovely!TchurVIPDined on 5/17/2014Great neighborhood restaurant with exceptional food and service! I always look forward to dining here; the food is delicious, the staff is professional yet warm, and the setting is cozy and romantic. Great for date night or small, intimate groups. A favorite.Special Features:
- Wonderful find!GubbiniVIPDined on 5/17/2014I am almost hesitant to recommend Chez Joel. Selfishly, I would like it to remain a secret! We dined here on a Saturday evening. The menu includes classic French cuisine but offers a nice range of options. My husband had steak frites; I had the salmon special although I was sorely tempted to try the bouillabaisse. My husband's steak was a perfect medium rare and the "frites" were slender and crisp, without being over-cooked or over-salted. My salmon was a perfect medium, served over julienned vegetables with fresh peas, brussel sprouts. The scallops appetizer was exceptional; the creme brulee for dessert was creamy and not overly sweet. Service was attentive without being fussy. Ambience allowed for a pleasant conversation. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite RestaurantDartyDined on 5/17/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Chicago! I have been there many times and each time we have had a wonderful meal! The drinks are delicious! The service is great! We brought our friends with there for the first time and they loved it. We each had a different meal and everyone loved their meals thoroughly. Each meal was cooked to perfection and my filet exactly what I asked for. The portions are a perfect amount. The ambience is great for talking in a relaxing, quaint atmosphere. I can't wait to go back and sit on the beautiful patio!! Thank you Chez Joel for a wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French bistrot foodshanghaijbVIPDined on 5/16/2014Went for dinner for 2. Ordered the snails as a starter. I hadn't had snails in a long time and was quite pleased with them. The duck breast and confit dish was good, even though the duck breast was disappointing: it was tiny and very chewy. However the duck confit was well prepared and the sides that came with that dish were well done. Service was very attentive and caring. The restaurant atmosphere is cozy and feels like a Parisian home. Overall, we had a very good time, prices were fair, and we will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.