1119 West Taylor
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Little Italy / University Village
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chezjoelbistro.com/
- Phone: 3122266479
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00AM to 4:00PM
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00PM to 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 4:30PM to 11:00PM
Sunday: 3:00PM to 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Joel Kazouini
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Please Join us for New Year's Eve 2 Hours four course price fix menu $75 Glass of Sparkling and Party Favors
A word from Chez Joel
In the midst of Little Italy, Chez Joel creates the tastes and aromas of France. Featuring traditional favorites, Chef joel Kazouini offers his straightforward, expertly prepared Southern French cuisine. Chez Joel’s atmosphere is reminiscent of a true French bistro; its walls adorned with French posters and tables covered with butcher paper. The cozy environment makes Chez Joel the perfect spot for any romantic meal, and when weather permits, garden tables offer an open-air experience where you’ll find one of the most divine al fresco dining settings in the city.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Chez Joel reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (82)romantic (70)special occasion (59)great for outdoor dining (57)fit for foodies (53)notable wine list (28)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (6)good for groups (6)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great lamb shank!dissappointedVIPDined on 10/19/2014One of the best lamb shanks I've ever eaten. Have been going to Chez Joel since it opened fourteen years ago and it just keeps getting better! Go. Enjoy a real French meal!Special Features:
- Well-Run Beautiful RestaurantBrianFVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great wine/great food/great service. Some of the food was exceptional, like the escargot and lamb shank. I couldn't give them 5 stars because the French Onion soup and the Duck Confit had so little flavor (it was good not great). Getting these dishes up to par with the rest of the food would definitely make this a 5 star restaurant.Special Features:
- Always great French foodGodfrey1000Dined on 10/17/2014I've been to chez Joel at least half a dozen times and tried different things each time. Never a bad dish. My favorite is escargot or scallops for appetizer and chicken for dinner. But can't go wrong with anything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarciaDined on 10/15/2014This was a dinner with friends, some of whom had not seen each other for several years, so we very much appreciated the ability to converse. At our request, the server reduced the volume on the background music and, after several offers to review the menu and specials, told us to let him know when we were ready. We were there for over 3 hours and never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best French restaurantJejeDined on 10/12/2014You should go without any hesitation! This restaurant is the best French of Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and romantic setting!CstacyVIPDined on 10/12/2014We always like to go hear for a romantic night and good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forever wonderfulClpgVIPDined on 10/10/2014We haven't been here in a while but should come more often. Every items was delicious. The food was hot and the service excellent. They continue to be so consistent. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres bienPilotsviewDined on 10/10/2014Perfect. Outstanding dinner from start to finis. A feast in every sense of the word. If available, the gâteau au chocolat blanc et crème fouettée is fabulous. Wait staff knowledgeable, attentive and pleasant - excellent timing throughout the evening. Ambience perfect for a romantic repast or an intimate evening with close friends. Will recommend and will definitely return.Special Features:
- We were told it was great.TeddyVIPDined on 10/3/2014It was alright, although my wife's duck was burned. It is a nice place. The waiter was great! Really good service and nice. He was spot on with the wine selection.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Excellent seasonal menu selection. Attentive service. Always good value for the price.Special Features:
- Very goodToolwomanDined on 9/27/2014Food was great. Looked luscious. Pate outstanding. We celebrated three birthdays at the same time. Service was good, but could have been a bit more attentive - although serving outdoors seemed to be the problem. All in all great time....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Great food, service and ambiance; totally wonderful, a transport to France.Special Features:
- food had no taste at allOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014we ordered the linguini and the beef with mushrooms. Both dishes tasted like all was just broiled, very bad, won't be coming backSpecial Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014The staff are always friendly without being familiar, the food is always top notch, and the atmosphere is always pleasant. What more could you ask?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonameDined on 9/18/2014Always a pleasure! The outside garden is a gem, the food is consistently good and the service excellent. I highly recommend Chez Joel!Special Features:
- Great all the timeCstacyVIPDined on 9/14/2014We love the food and to be able to eat outside when the weather is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon appetiteElleDined on 8/29/2014The service was timely, the space was cozy and the music related to theme of the restaurant. I enjoyed my Pear-is cocktail, the cheese platter was designed perfectly and the flavors were excellent, the entree was well seasoned and the finale dessert of puff pastry covered with chocolate shared by two was memorable. I will consider this my neighborhood gem, to treat myself or with my husband at least once a monthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in beautiful gardenChicagoDinerDined on 8/28/2014French themed menu. Duck with orange sauce was scrumptious. Filet mignon done perfectly. Vegetable sides were crisp. Garden setting makes it feel like Paris. Moderate prices make this place a bargain. They treated us nicely on our anniversary.Special Features:
- eddyjjreddyjjrDined on 8/26/2014CHEZ JOEL wonderful as usual!We had a guest from California who loved it. Our waiter was wonderful. Sorry , did not get his name. This is one of the best outdoor gardens in Chicago . We will be back.
- TonyDined on 8/26/2014This was my first time here and I was impressed on all levels from the food, service and setting. I was looking for something in the area that was not Italian and what a find! My guests were equally impressed. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014What a perfect birthday dinner we just had! From the unctuous mussels in herb cream sauce to the fork tender lamb shank in sumptuous gravy; the meal just hit on all of the right notes. The birthday mini creme brûlée was the right final note to accompany the parting espresso. Great service, great ambience, just a perfect meal. We'll definitely be back the next time we're seeking high quality bistro food in a fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChampagneDutchieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Been to chez Joel a few times. Every time was great, indoors or outdoors. Food always consistent. Staff always friendly and accommodating.however they did not acknowledge receipt of allergies for one of our party.Special Features:
- Top NotchGronzilaDined on 8/16/2014I've come to Chez Joel 3 times. Each time the same. Great food, impeccable service and a very comfortable venue. This is a gem. One of my favorite places to go.Special Features:
- Great Spot for Romantic DinnerMariaDined on 8/13/2014This is the place to go for a romantic outdoor dinner in the summer. They have a lovely garden out back, and the ambience is perfect. The food was excellent, and the prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date restaurant!UmursDined on 8/10/2014Definitely recommend to anybody. Very decent, good food, good service, good ambiance. Of course, it is not very economical but still prices are not horrible. They also gifted us a desert and champagne because it was a birthday event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eddyjjreddyjjrDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful Chez Joel. We love this place for outdoor dining. we will have guests from California coming late this month and plan to come back. It was a beautiful night. Our waiter was very nice, did not get his name. A handsome French man. He went out of his way to accommodate a special dietary need for my friend. Thank you.Special Features:
- guestfoodieek65Dined on 8/7/2014great garden and good french food. would be nice if the menu would change a bitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bon appetithungryhungrymeDined on 8/6/2014great food! sevice and everything was awesome! i would def. come back!Special Features:
- A bit disappointedMJ07VIPDined on 8/1/2014I picked this place to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. Given the raving Yelp reviews, I was expecting to walk away very satisfied. The mussels was good, as others mentioned. But both my duck confit and my boyfriend's steak frites were over-cooked (well-done for duck confit instead of medium and close to well-done for steak frites instead of medium rare). We got the chocolate fondant as dessert, which was OK. All in all, I would say it was an OK experience. The restaurant is very cute though; brings me back to Paris a bit.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem...mooresyVIPDined on 7/27/2014Had been wanting to get to Chez Joel for dinner for quite some time but i had never quite worked out, so was glad when i was finally about to get there a couple days ago. We were immediately greeted and seated in the outdoor area which is spacious and comfortable. We ordered our appetizers, my the grilled calamari and he the escargots. Both expertly presented and delicious on taste. The calamari especially went so well with the pesto and other flavors on the plate. I then ordered the steak frites and he the Coq au vin. When i got my steak it was slightly over cooked and so we ended up switching and i was glad i did cause the chicken was juicy and so full of flavor. Do not miss their crispy paper thin fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Joel continues to pleasetoledofoodiesDined on 7/26/2014Whenever we're in town we always make it a point to visit Chez Joel. Not only do we find it consistently good, but so do our friends. If you are looking for a small French restaurant with good food, you'll find it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food, great experience!IndianaFoodieDined on 7/25/2014This was our first time dining at Chez Joel and the experience couldn't have been better. The staff was very flexible with our reservation since we were running a bit late and were still able to accommodate us with outdoor seating on a perfect night to eat outdoors. The courtyard dining area is quaint and well shielded from the street with only the loudest vehicles reminding you that you are in downtown Chicago. The food was simple, hearty French inspired cuisine that hit the mark with each course and our service was attentive yet not invasive. I would highly recommend this gem to anyone seeking a quality dining experience. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Chez Joel is one of our favorite spots in the neighborhood. Food is always well-prepared and of a consistently high quality. Our server was very professional and approachable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Chez Joel never disappoints with their menu or their service. Excellent price pointsSpecial Features:
- Great evening outGloryDined on 7/23/2014After waiting for service (there was a big party outside). We settled down to eNjoy good French food in a relaxed atmosphere. Generous wine pour and friendly service added to the pleasant ambiance. Be sure to get valet parking.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Excellent food and service. Perfect summer setting. Excellent menu selections.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!joaneDined on 7/19/2014Absolutely charming french restaurant in tge middle of Taylor street. Beautiful outdoor patio with chandeliers and all. Very attentive wait staff, we had Agnes...she was awesome. The food was delicious! Cant wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerrkassnelDined on 7/18/2014Excellent food. It's one of our go-to places in the neighborhood. Wonderful ambiance inside, but there is also an intimate patio. It's great to live near a place like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dining Value in the City ?OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/18/2014Chez Joel keeps getting better and better. The changes can be incremental, but lovely -- for example the new flooring, mirrors and bar. Like the changes in decor, the changes in food are subtle but constantly improving -- for example the regular fish specials and the desserts. All in all, this is a restaurant filled with grace and beauty. And the food is as good as almost any place in the city. For the price, you cannot find better.Special Features:
- Lunchtime findOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/15/2014Just enjoyed another wonderful, delicious lunch/reunion with a good friend. Chez Joel is lively enough to stimulate diners, quiet enough to permit a good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.