Chez Jef at The Bowery Diner
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Chez Jef at The Bowery Diner
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chezjefnyc.com/
- Phone: 2123880052x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday from 11am-midnight
Friday & Saturday from 11am-1am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Wine Bar, French
- Executive Chef: Mathieu Palombino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please contact us for any catering requests.
- Private Party Facilities: Chez Jef is available for private events including dining room buyouts and customize both a food and drink menu to the occasion. Kindly contact us for more details.
- Private Party Contact: John Lopez 2123880052x
A word from Chez Jef at The Bowery Diner
Chez Jef offers traditional French bistro fare like steak frites, traditional pate campagne maison & crepe souflee "suzette" in a casual environment. The restaurant features a full bar with an emphasis on French wines, hand-crafted cocktails & both Belgian & American beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chez Jef at The Bowery Diner reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (7)romantic (6)late-night find (5)notable wine list (4)good for groups (4)hot spot (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Experiencelyonnais69007FranceDined on 6/23/2014Bruno is a great host. I was recommended by another restaurateur et I was not disappointed to discover a very nice bistrot on Bowery area. Wonderful welcome! Professional service! and a very quality/price ratio! Great Rose for the summertime! Will be the place in September when the place will have a new look, outside and inside. A lot of potential in it! Great food! Great experience for foodies.Special Features:
- Excellent Pre FixeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/17/2014Came for dinner and both ordered the $35 Pre Fixe. It was truly excellent! The portions were generous and each course was delicious. Best steak frites I've had lately! Service was great too. I would highly recommend Chez Jef!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2014We went due to all of the reviews we had read about how looking past the red and white tablecloths was amazing French cuisine. My friends and I were a little underwhelmed. We each tried something different (only I ended up getting the $35 prix fixe). Goat cheese toast (very good), green salad (as you would imagine) and pate (massive amount, was good). We then moved into our main meals - two orders of mussels (large mussels, little broth, both of us came across a couple that were very salty/shell on the inside) and my other friend ordered the salmon (very "petite" filet of salmon on a basic bed of greens, good but nothing special). Finishing with the choc. mousse (very good). Over all it was a nice experience but I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Lovely spot for an early dinnerKateDined on 6/2/2014We saw Chez Jef on Eater and decided to swing by for an early dinner before an improv show at UCB. The waiter was friendly and made great recommendations. We split a bottle of rose per his suggestion and it was a great call. My friend had french onion soup and the goat cheese toast (both delicious.) I had the ratatouille with a whole fish of branzino, and it was the best ratatouille i've had to date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad VibeNuiNuiVIPDined on 5/15/2014Horrible place, with very limited lunch menu which was touted as so "French bistro". I won't go back even though I could have adopted it as my neighborhood haunt.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We had a great brunch with excellent service and food. Our server was very helpful and since we had 3 mothers with us we were served champagne and chocolate strawberries on the house. The portions were perfect size and the menu had something for everyone. Our party had the pork chops, lamb, steak and salmon and all were very tasty and went well with our appetizers. The goat cheese and artichoke appetizers were our favorite and the meat appetizer was also delicious. The salad was fresh and delicious. We loved the jazz trio with a great singer Sarah King from the Smokerings! Lovely red checkered tablecloths and black chalkboard walls with a diner style bar. The price was reasonable too. Everyone enjoyed their Bloody Mary's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent except for the musselsAngieVIPDined on 5/10/2014Decided to try something new and was pleasantly surprised by this Bowery find. Friendly hostess gave me a lively booth, waitstaff was welcoming and nice, ambiance nice. Appetizers of goat cheese, grilled octopus and onion soup were excellent. Fries are out of this world. The mussels main course wasn't cooked. Just a few mussels were open and when I tried to eat them, they were half raw. That was a deal breaker for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whimsical French VibeGavChristopherVIPDined on 5/9/2014Turning a diner into a little French bistro with red and white checkered paper could be off putting but it's done in such a cute way it adds to the charm. The food was delicious and service was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 7 reviews are from the Chez Jef at The Bowery Diner reviews archive.
- smileyDined on 5/4/2014Doesn't look like much, but the food is reasonably good bistro fare and fairly priced. The chanteuse with accordion and bass at Sunday afternoon brunch was a very nice, and surprising addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and ambianceRuntoeatVIPDined on 5/3/2014We tried this spot for the first time and were really impressed by it. The pre fixe is a great deal and the steak fritte may be one of the best we had. Bruno, the manager is wonderful and makes sure guests feel at home. There was an amazing gypsy band playing and the volume was just perfect. Not overpoweringly loud but not too soft either. Felt like I was right back in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencelesterbeallDined on 4/27/2014Lovely food, buttoned-down atmosphere. A great place for dinner.Special Features:
- nice and cosy - perfect for lunchDespinaVIPDined on 4/5/2014Food was nice, the service was ok - a little pricey but overall good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real French BistroEitanNJUSAVIPDined on 3/16/2014We were visiting the New Museum next door, and were looking for a place for lunch on Open Table. So it was by chance that we walked in. It used to be a diner, and changed the theam last week to French Bistro, with a real French Owner and cook. Food was just like in Paris! Simple menu exquistly done. One of the best Pâté , steak tartar and French Onion Suop we have in years, the Cream Brule is spectacular. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun down and dirty brunchBonBonVIPDined on 10/14/2012Fun down and dirty brunch place. Great brunch food. Fun atmosphere.
- Fun place with a great brunch.DavidVIPDined on 5/26/2012Fun place with a great brunch. Very good at what it doesSpecial Features: