1657 Ocean Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chezjays.com/
- Phone: 3103951741
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday to Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday to Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 9:00am - 2:30pm
Bar open until 2am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Tony Dearcos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private room for twenty people well-seated at no minimum charge. Also, we offer the main restaurant/bar for private parties with the capacity of sixty people, with a minimum charge that varies depending on the day and time of the event.
- Private Party Contact: Juan Gallegos 3105602832
A word from Chez Jay
Legendary Chez Jay, established 1959, is a Santa Monica Historical Landmark located on Ocean Avenue across from the Pier. Known for its steaks, fresh seafood, generous drinks and comfortable atmosphere, Chez Jay is one of the best celebrity hideaway taverns in all LA. With peanut shells on the floor and its famous jukebox playing, Chez Jay is a place to soak up stories, enjoy a great meal, and have a good time.Continued
Stop in and become part of the legend.
Stop in and become part of the legend.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Chez Jay - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Chez Jay reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (8)great for lunch (6)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Fun Atmosphere and Great ServicemstaudingerVIPDined on 8/31/2014What a fun place for an evening drink or to soak in the Santa Monica "dive bar" scene. Staff is very attentive and friendly. We went stopped in on a very hot, humid evening and without A/C this place was just too hot to eat food; the food itself was OK and maybe without the heat the food might make 3 stars. Overall this is a fun place and we would go there again. thank you to Open Table for helping us find this cool place.Special Features:
- Always good...pkeenanVIPDined on 8/5/2014This is a Santa Monica institution. Classic decorum. Always "regulars" at the bar. Great, simple menu. Old School adult beverages. If you're visiting Santa Monica, this place should be on your "must visit" list. It's right next to the new Tongva Park which is incredibly beautiful. C'mon! Let's go!Special Features:
- Wonderful dive bar/restaurant!!luvtohangoutDined on 8/2/2014This place is more "dive bar" than restaurant, but it has a sense of humor with the french offerings on the menu. The food is solid and in places quite good, but perhaps a bit pricey. Come for the beer, and stay for the beer. :) No air conditioning, but who cares. That crowd doesn't belong here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!canyodlDined on 7/31/2014The atmosphere of this neighborhood restaurant is very retro. The food was excellent! We had the mahi mahi special, fillet minion and steak and shrimp and they were all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't meet expectationKirkstylesDined on 7/25/2014The reviews of Chez Jay did not reflect my experience. Sure the staff were friendly and the bar has a certain vibe, but the food was average at best!
- MemoriesNoelDined on 7/23/2014A trip down memory lane...been coming since late sixtiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden pearlKolbyoneDined on 7/15/2014Not hidden in the sense of hard to find, but should not be judged by exterior looks. Inside is friendliness, good service and great food. Feels like anybody could be walking in. Like!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite local bar/restaurantEastMeetsWestDined on 6/30/2014delicious steaks and manhattans. a great mix of older and younger crowd. mainly localsSpecial Features:
- Date night at Chez JayDinenameDined on 6/29/2014Always wanted to try the local place. Right across from the beach, old school streak house, hole in the wall. Excellent service, good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Similar to other landmark restos...AmandaVIPDined on 6/28/2014It rests on its laurels. From our poor elderly waiter who quite literally had Alzheimer's. Three times asked by him if we were ready to order right after we had ordered.... Three bread baskets left on the table, no silverware, no water despite numerous asks. (I empathize if this is loyalty to an elderly employee, but have the decency to provide back up support for him. No other waitstaff came to our table to help) There were only two other tables occupied in the restaurant. One of which was an obnoxious drink family with several people who should have not been served alcohol after a certain point, like as in screaming and being unable to walk....was great to watch them go to the valet to get their car......My rare steak was grey and rubber.
- VERY PLEASANTPerfectDined on 6/27/2014Friends' birthday and likes Chez Jay - very good prices, ample servings of food and lively. Great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisVIPDined on 6/27/2014A bar feel more than a restaurant. Super casual dinning
- Fun w/ panache!QuissieVIPDined on 6/25/2014We had a fun evening here which started w/ a great cocktail at the bar. Then had a very good meal of Sandabs which were lovely!Special Features:
- Love this neighborhood gem!ChowGirlDined on 6/11/2014Fun, funky, friendly hangout. Great food. Beach adjacent. This is old Santa Monica at its best. Dinner? Get the sand dabs.Special Features:
- The following 122 reviews are from the Chez Jay reviews archive.
- Great night out!TessDined on 5/17/2014My husband and I had a ton of fun and good food at Chez Jay! Definitely recommend it for someone looking for a fun and relaxed bar-type environment but still good, fresh food. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- lotta funoccdocVIPDined on 5/17/2014good steaks lotta fun good steaks lotta fun good steaks lotta fun lotta fun lotta fun nothing more to saySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveVIPDined on 5/10/2014Good steaks, service was good. A nice small neighborhood bar & restaurant. We will be back again.Special Features:
- DiveBigFoodVIPDined on 5/4/2014Awesome dive bar that happens to have good food. Don't go to Chez Jay if you are looking for hip, trendy, or fancy. It's a small, dark place to have a few whiskeys and a burger when you get tired of the usual tourist scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic "Dive" but pretty goodLilTigerDined on 4/22/2014I found this place and thought it looked interesting. Didn't know it was a dark tiny local dive. The place is really small and dark but it fits the old Santa Monica beach area perfectly. It's a step back in time. Mainly locals. The outside of the building is old and I doubt most tourists would dare take a step inside. The food was pretty decent. I know my three friends enjoyed theirs. I had their daily special of sea bass. Unfortunately it was over cooked and the tomato "sauce" did not marry well with the fish. Prices were all inclusive so that was a plus. I will definitely go back. Thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicknameVIPDined on 4/19/2014I know its been there since 1958ish, but it might help to redo the seats. It felt like the same ones I used 40 years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful old placeEmilyVIPDined on 4/15/2014The sanddabs were as good as we remembered. We love the Sherry Wine salad dressing. We won't wait so long to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why I continue to go to Chez Jay'sOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/13/2014I've been coming to Chez Jay's since 1962 or 1963 and hasn't changed a bit since then. It's difficult to write a review because I don't come here for the food but because it's one of the last neighborhood old-time places in Santa Monica and because it has nostalgic value for me. The food is just OK - butter steak I ordered had way too much gristle, potato that was supposed to be baked was micro-waved. Service, however, was really good as was my mojito.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steaks at an informalBillVIPDined on 3/22/2014Good steaks at an informal venue with attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendly and cozyPaulDined on 3/22/2014excellent service, good food. Had the breakfast special, with the andouille sausage. Very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Menu, well preparedluvthisplaceVIPDined on 3/19/2014If you're looking for classic menu - soup/salad/steak or fish - in a warm, casual 'peanut floor' enviornment, this is the place. New York steak, baked potatoe and basic salad were all excellent. Wishe they had some less expensive bottles of wine, but c'est la vie. Two of us (both had steak) and 1 bottle of wine. $90+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at a SM landmark!PamkVIPDined on 3/14/2014You won't a similar experience anywhere else in LA, maybe the world. Its fascinating history, wonderful food, generous cocktails and local dive atmosphere make it one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebrated a birthday, perfecthulagirlDined on 3/12/2014celebrated a birthday, perfect location. Fun vibe.Special Features:
- Questionable outside, great foodDinnerOutTonight2013Dined on 3/12/2014This place looks like a little seedy bar from the outside. And kind of the same from the inside. But great food and staff. Well worth the trip to find this tiny place across from Santa Monica pier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!BrianVIPDined on 2/22/2014Been wanting to try Chez Jay for years and finally took the opportunity. (Recently moved to LA.) Historic bar/restaurant that lived up to the hype. Steaks were very good, but the bar and atmosphere --- along with great waitress --- really sealed the deal. Will definitely be heading back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Updated, timeless classicOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/20/2014We've been dining at Chez Jay for decades. It's fun! The food is great, the service isn prompt and friendly. The classic dishes still taste like classics, but they have been subtly updated to reflect today's dining preferences. And, you can still get Green Goddess dressing on your salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was a little taken backhithere2Dined on 2/14/2014I was a little taken back that for a bar they had a prix fixed menu for Valentine's Day and that it was so expensive. We were actually looking forward to trying something off their regular menu. The food was pretty good but didn't think it was worth $50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Though born and raised injimmythekidDined on 2/13/2014Though born and raised in SM, this was my first time here. Had early 5:45 Thursday evening reservations before Cirque du Soleil. Place was already very busy. Eclectic, local crowd comprised of all ages. Service was excellent, food was very good. Love the character of the place. Would definitely recommend it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You know what you're getting.JH315Dined on 2/11/2014It's a dive bar with food essentially. Not bad, but not great either. My steak was chewy and a bit tough. It was fine in a pinch, but don't go out of your way.
- I couldn't recommend this placeOutstandingVIPDined on 2/8/2014The food was not very good, the service was pretty sad and they try to be rude because it's funny. The server actually dropped my steak on the table and then served it to me "It's OK because it fell on the menu" I didn't care I just wanted to eat and get out of there. Everything is bacon, meat, butter and more bacon. Just not good quality in any way.
- Nice surpriseTiffVIPDined on 2/8/2014Have always wanted to go here but never made it, partly due to parking, although we did arrive early and had no problem w parking. It was a pleasant surprise. The filet mignon w bernaise sauce was very good. The sticky toffee pudding was unique and yummy! Will definitely return. A very laid back low key gem with great food that's been around for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Location with PersonalityBarbCDined on 2/2/2014My friend and I dined had a very pleasant meal here - great ambience (not for romance, but local, almost-divey flavor)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent food and servicepeege26VIPDined on 2/1/2014great fun, historical landmark, fun vibe, groups can ask for a table in back room but less ambience there. Small, cozy, like going back in time.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingRUN2EATVIPDined on 1/30/2014In the past, we have enjoyed our dining experience at Chez Jay. However, the last 2 times we have dined there, the food was not that good (overcooked &/or dry) and the noise level in the restaurant made it difficult to carry on a conversation with other members of our party.Special Features:
- Beach RealnessPJ31Dined on 1/24/2014Chez Jay never disappoints. Maintaining it's funky ease while delivering impeccable service, delicious home style food, and pretty decent house wine. My only comment would be if they could expand their wines by the glass to include a few higher end selections.Special Features:
- Great Evening!HenryDined on 1/5/2014We had 10 in our group and were seated as soon as we arrived. We had the most fun and best food of the few nights we were in Santa Monica. Making our reservations through Open Table was so easy.Special Features: