72 Macdougal Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://chezjacquelinerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 505-0727
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Monday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We are happy to assist you in the planning of your perfect party. Our comfortable dining room will provide seating for approximately 52 and our bar offers additional seating. Please contact us for availability and to plan your ideal seating arrangement and menu.
- Private Party Contact: Ive or Frank 2125050727
- Cross Street: Houston Street
- Public Transit: 6 train to Bleecker St., 4 train to West 4th St., and 1 train to Houston St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street parking is commonly available, however in the immediate area Parking Garages are available on West Houston St. between 6th Ave. and Varick St. (across the street from the "Film Forum") and also on West 3rd St. between MacDougal St. and 6th Ave. (only two blocks from the restaurant).
A word from Chez Jacqueline
Since its opening 30 years ago, Chez Jacqueline has managed to capture the real and true flavors of the Côte d'Azur. Located on MacDougal Street in the West Village, the charming neighborhood bistro offers simple (direct) sustaining food for which Nice is famed. Whether it's the traditional 'soupe de poissons' served with garlic croutons and rouille or the Daube Nicoise, tender braised beef in a pungent, red wine sauce, Chez Jacqueline's cuisine is as close as one can come to Nice in New York.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chez Jacqueline reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (9)neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (6)special occasion (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Mussels the best I've had in a long timeSusanDined on 11/18/2014I wonder how the mussels are so tender and sweet. I'll go back and sit at the bar (as I saw others do) and order mussels and a glass of wine some evening and see if they're always that way. We both had pappardelle al ragu for the entree - rich and too much food after mussels appetizer, but tasty. Excellent bread. Wonderful soft instrumental jazz. It got noisy after 6:30, so we'll go early again. The pre-theater prix fixe is a nice deal - but only if you can eat a LOT. Obviously lots of regulars, including well-behaved children, greeted with hugs and kisses - but the two of us (first-timers) were treated well. We'll go back. Close to Film Forum, so it's convenient for a visit before or after a movie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Night outJscavuzzDined on 11/8/2014We had a 9:00 pm reservation but arrived early at 8:00 pm. The restaurant was packed but there were two seats at the bar. We decided to eat at the bar and the service by Christine was impeccable. Every selection from wine, to appetizer through main courses and desert was great. A very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Great Place to Meet FriendsJessDined on 10/24/2014The asparagus soup and escargot were really good. As was the Magret de Canard. A very cute, good restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceLondonerDined on 10/11/2014First time at Chez Jacqueline, but will certainly not be the last! Our food was delicious, especially the Moules Frites, and our waiter Anthony was uber friendly (in a good way!!). We were not rushed in any way, were able to relax and thoroughly enjoy the experience - highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2014i have to admit that my wife and I were pretty disappointed at the quality of the entrees (both beef - I know some others are better). This is the second time we have been dissatisfied with them, and sadly will maybe not return.
- MishaDined on 9/24/2014i had one of the best entrecote in new york. Great place , i was really surprised how good food was!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just delightful2DadsWithKidsVIPDined on 9/12/2014We felt as if we had stepped into a small, intimate restaurant in Provence. We could hear each other talk. We sat by a romantic open window. The servers were lovely. The food was delicious and authentic and not over priced. The wine was very good. A great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Poor ServicecatattackVIPDined on 8/22/2014I came here with my best friend and a Groupon deal. We ordered the foie gras (10/10), beef carpaccio (10/10), beef stew (9/10), duck breast (8/10), creme brulee (10/10), and apple tart (9/10), along with the Bordeaux red (8/10). The food was on point, but no one should have to wait 20 minutes to have orders be taken and 30 minutes for the check to be brought. Otherwise, perfect date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez JacquelineJames919Dined on 8/15/2014Excellent ambiance and a little of the left bank in the west village. Was a great experience, superb Alsacian food and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice setting but mediocre food.Hawaii50Dined on 7/30/2014This restaurant was in a nice part of the Village, but the food seemed hardly French. The escargot looked like it was boiled in water with a few peppers and tomatoes thrown into a bowl with it. The veal medallions seemed like a dish you could get at any American restaurant. We hardly saw anything there that reminded us of French cuisine. Bottom line: a nice place to sit and have a drink and soak in the Village neighborhood, but I wouldn't have dinner there again.Special Features:
- The following 379 reviews are from the Chez Jacqueline reviews archive.
- Neiborhood GemLocal123Dined on 7/18/2014We had a group of nine and the table just accommodated us, although tight. Food, service and cozy atmosphere was excellent. If in the West Village area and are fond on French bistro cuisine, Chez Jacqueline is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favorite standbyLaRutaDined on 7/9/2014I always enjoy a meal at this lovely neighborhood gem and have never been disappointed. The Tuesday night mussel fest is a great summer treat, the staff is always friendly, and the food is terrific.Special Features:
- foodieinnycVIPDined on 6/28/2014Prices were high. Portions were small. Place was cramped.
- Pleasant returnBCvisitorDined on 6/23/2014I ate at Chez Jacqueline many years ago and really enjoyed my visit. (It is one of the few places I had walked into and said, "Feed me," which I am prone to do.) They did wonderfully then, and this time around the food and service were equal. On this visitI had my wife and my 15 year old grandson in tow. They both said it was their favorite restaurant of our trip to NYC from California. (Actually, he's from Minnesota). We will return!Special Features:
- How does this place stay open?RHarrVIPDined on 4/20/2014Seven of us went for brunch last Sunday and five of us were disappointed with our meals. The place was pretty much empty, so I guess others have learned what we now know....
- Great foodFoodieofficionadaVIPDined on 4/10/2014Really great food!! Didn't know what to expect, but I must say it was beyond my expectation! Will definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!MkaNyDined on 4/9/2014I love this place! Their service is impeccable, I had a reservation for 5 people but when I got there we had 3 more people. They accomodated us only in a few minutes. Then we had more people arriving to our table an hour later and they switched our table to a bigger one with no problem. Food and wine were delicious, not pricey!! This is a real French gem in the Village that is not overrated, and the prices are not crazy high as some other French restaurants in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We travel an hourDashDined on 4/6/2014Its our favorite date place andvworth th hour + drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itChappaqua5423VIPDined on 3/22/2014Went because it was near Minetta Lane theater. Had a reservation but kept us waiting by the door. Tables crammed close together and uncomfortable. Had to keep flagging down the waiter. Food was average -- mussels were tiny and veal was nothing special. Would rather have had pizza Better restaurants in the neighborhood
- NY GemjohnDined on 12/31/2013This was our second visit to Chez Jacqueline. The first was with a voucher I received as a gift. The waiter, I don't know his name was attentive and actually remembered us from our first visit. The food was excellent and the service matched the food. It's a good stop if you're in the Village.Special Features:
- REAL VILLAGE RESTAURANTRobertissimoDined on 12/23/2013Haven't been in the Village since the 60's when I lived in NY. It was so touching to go to the Minetta Theater on Minetta Lane, then down MacDougal to the sweet, charming Chez Josephine. Brought tears to my eyes. Food was good and the service utterly charming and bright. Will return on next trip to NY in January. Merci beaucoup, Josephine!Special Features:
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2013The food was good but overpriced. Service was ok. Would not comeback...
- NYC FavOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/8/2013Came across this gem a few years ago, and return whenever I can, especially during the cooler months. Traditional, French comfort food, with my favorite escargot in the city--always cooked perfectly. The duck is another favorite, asome of the best I've ever had. They have a long table in the middle that would be great for a large group, with two and four tops around the edge that offer cozy, romantic seating for smaller groups and couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming!TexannaDined on 12/5/2013Chez Jacqueline is a charming restaurant. The ambiance is very warm and quaint. Nice for a romantic dinner for two. The waiter was a little gruff or seemed annoyed for some reason at first, but warmed up and the service was good. The food was very good. I had the onion tartlet appetizer and the black linguini with saffron lobster sauce. The tartlet very good, but the linguini was delicious. My husband had the raddichio and apple salad and the hanger steak, also delicious. Enjoyed the food and the ambiance.We can highly recommend Chez Jacqueline.Special Features:
- We all (4 of us) had a lovelydafchefDined on 12/5/2013We all (4 of us) had a lovely dinner. Two of us had the lamb, one trout amandine and one papparadelle pasta. All of us enjoyed or dinners very much. The lamb was pefectly cooked and tender. The seafood soup appetizer was delicious as was the beet salad with the best goat cheese I've ever tasted! Desserts were reasonably priced and quite good as well. The best part of our dinner was our waiter Anthony! He made the meal special. We will definately return!Special Features:
- Not as tasty as I hopedVickiDined on 11/15/2013I have been coming to this place for many years, but this last meal was a disappointment. I ordered something different from my usual choices and so did my partner. Out of 6 dishes we ordered we only liked 1 ( cauliflower gratin). The wine was also mediocre. I think this place decided to cater to the lower end of the customers at lower costs. If you are looking for affordability, this is okay. The service was very nice as well and the atmosphere.Special Features:
- I HAVE RECERVATION FOR 6:00lanaDined on 11/9/2013I HAVE RECERVATION FOR 6:00 P.M.,BUT I CAME 5:00PM AND THEY GIVE ME PLACE.WAS WONDUFULL.WE HAVE GOOD TIME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2013Consistently excellent food. Very cute little place that always makes for a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little Bon Coin en France!gadflyVIPDined on 11/2/2013As always, superb meal and service......really nothing to add except the staff and service and actual tasty meals guarantee a lovely evening. There is literally nothing lacking. Guests are made to feel welcome and actively helped in ordering.Special Features:
- We love Chez Jaqueline!DashDined on 9/29/2013My husband and I drive in from CT to eat here. We absolutely love it -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An overall pleasure to dinePenseeVIPDined on 9/28/2013An overall pleasure to dine there for reasons you feel without transposing to words.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was FabulousPatriciaVIPDined on 9/28/2013The food was very good and our server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodcharlericDined on 9/13/2013I've been there since 1980, has met my expectations always.Special Features:
- being frenchtraveltogoDined on 9/10/2013the restaurant was charming and very french in ambiance. the staff wasn't french but efficient and fairly expedient. the food was very good and pretty much what I expected. they didn't give us the exact table we wanted but all in all it was a pleasant experience and my friend enjoyed the food for her birthday.Special Features:
- Fair Assessmentnyc49Dined on 9/8/2013The restaurant was OK. I ordered vichyssoise which was thin and bland. My hanger steak was tough. My husband had the crab cakes which he liked and his duck was fair. The apple tart was good. Service was good. The Nicholas Pinot was also very good. Overall it was not awful but not memorable either.
- Nice Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2013The food was just amazing. The restaurant was very busy and crowded, but we found the environment enjoyable. We were seated at a 6 top table with another couple (they occupied one end and we the other). It wasn't a huge deal and it didn't feel as though we were any closer to them than we'd be if they were just at another two top table beside us. The lighting made for a romantic night out and we'd certainly return. Tip: Try to get a table by the windows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Evening!BrentVIPDined on 8/31/2013We had a delightful experience! We enjoyed all that we ordered, from the chicken with summer squash and tomatoes, to the cauliflower gratin with bechamel, to the flourless chocolate cake with a glass of ruby port. We will definitely come back when we return to New York!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and very tasty foodAllanVIPDined on 8/30/2013The ambience was very French in a cozy, romantic setting. The service was very good, courteous and friendly. We loved the food! We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brings back memories of FranceIgtoutoccVIPDined on 8/28/2013The French music in the background, the relaxed feel of the place and the simple provancale menu all add up to one very lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent quaint little neighborhoodWarrenVIPDined on 8/18/2013Decent quaint little neighborhood place with good food and average service. Ambiance is quite different, such as what a restaurant might have looked in the 1800's. Owner very accommodating and concerned about his business and goodwill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.