1 Shepard Street
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezhenri.com/
- Phone: 6173548980
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Chez Henri can handle all of your catering needs, both large and small. From weddings and parties to corporate events and in-home dinners, Paul O’Connell’s talented chefs and staff will ensure a wonderful night of dining for you and your guests.
- Private Party Contact: Paul O'Connell 6173548980
A word from Chez Henri
Chez Henri is a Modern French Bistro with a Cuban twist.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chez Henri reviews from OpenTable diners
- Chez Henri is tiredOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2013Been here every couple years and it has gone downhill - last time for me Food was uninspired
- Great dinnerRachel27Dined on 10/19/2013It was our third visit to Chez Henry, and we were not disappointed. Great food and service!Special Features:
- What has happened to Chez Henri?JuniperVIPDined on 10/19/2013I always love taking friends from out of town to Chez Henri because it has almost always been a real gem for our neighborhood. The cocktail list always holds something to look forward to and the chef is very good at using local, in season produce to add freshness to the menu without giving up the old classics. Three out of four ordered the pork loin last visit, and we all agreed that the sauce was divine. Our fourth ordered the pallea and seemed pleased. Our various wine choices were also a good fit. But...the service was border line rude, and my husband and I both kept thinking that something was just off. I hope Chez Henri can gain back its sparkle.Special Features:
- Fine was fine. Only one waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2013Fine was fine. Only one waiter for entire restaurant . Not attentive. First bill received overcharged for the wine I ordered and I don't think it was an accident. Waiter didn't apologize for the error.
- food very good, service a bit wackycamboDined on 9/19/2013I admit I used to like the restaurant better when it was a real French bistro (Chez Jean) but the owners retired, and Chez Henri is very good, especially for meat-lovers. It's a bit yuppie and loud for my taste (thus my lower score on ambience), and it's pricier than good old Chez Jean, and it was fuller than the staff could quite handle the last time I was there (I hadn't been for a few years). Also pretty tough on vegetarians. But what they do they do well, and if you're a noisy young yuppie you'll love it!Special Features:
- going downhill sadlytoyotaDined on 9/14/2013Once was vibrant. Now drabl small crowd, poor ambience. No joy for food. Steak rites fries inedible. Service was clumsySpecial Features:
- chez henri is changingCharlesKDined on 9/6/2013it was a friday night and almost totally dead. it seems the regulars have fled en masse. some things have changed. the menu is smaller. the wine list is tiny. we had the ceviche, which was good, but it was a bit different from the past. the olive plate was great. now you can order the cuban sandwich in the main dining room, which is new. it was pretty good, and relatively cheaper than the other entrees. the clam/sausage fricasse was nothing special with a heap of what was basically macaroni and cheese in the middle - you would never have seen anything like this at the old chez henri. the service was good which it should be since it was so dead. my favorite drink, the rum cocktail marilene was also changed (and much stronger). we'll see...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food missed the mark; slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2013Our server was very nice and helpful with wine selection. However, they were noticeably understaffed and we barely saw him after ordering drinks. Entrees took forever to come, and though my swordfish was cooked excellently, the cous cous it was served on was chilled and tasted strongly of vinegar. Overall, great ambiance and good food, but almost not worth it for the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old style, New York FrenchmoimemeDined on 9/6/2013I am interested in noise level first, then food quality, then service. It was peaceful when we arrived, on the early side, and even when the room filled up, it was still easy to converse. We had the pork dish and it was very good. A sauce the name of which I've forgotten, was tasty and unlike any I have had before and there was plenty of it. Dessert was extra good - French fruit tart with ice cream. Chez Henri is a restaurant in the old style like a French restaurant in New York. I hadn't been there in a long time and am glad I have rediscovered it. Service, just right. OPEN TABLE: I think you should have another level to remark on the noise level. Like, Horrible. Or, Couldn't hear a thing. Or, was hoarse by the end of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a princeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/1/2013While the ceviche mixta was devine all of our entrees were "divino!" Excellent little cuban/french bistro.Special Features:
- Uneven.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2013Chez Henri is off their game. Limited menu and beverages (ran out of ginger ale?), uneven quality of food. The ceviche was good, but the paella was average, and my swordfish dish was strange - it had a sad melting heap of mayonnaise, which was not indicated on the menu and basically ruined the dish. Seems like they are biding their time until someone figures out what is going on and whether the restaurant is being sold. We wanted to love it, but for those prices there are better options.
- Wonderful MealCliffDined on 8/20/2013We always intended to get to Chez Henri and finally made it during summer restaurant week. The menu was a bit limited due to the promotion but was not lacking in the least. For appetizers we had the butter lettuce salad and guava BBQ sauce conch fritters. Both were great! The paella is also great with a smokey undertone and lots of seafood. Portion sizes were joust right - not too big or too small. Desserts kept the ball rolling. We had chocolate mousse and flan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real down turnKaitVIPDined on 8/20/2013I was really saddened to see how badly Chez Henri seems to be doing. I had not heard of the article that came out about the restaurant prior to my last visit, however, I was informed by our waiter that things were not going well. There was almost no alcohol in the bar, there was absolutely no wine (I asked and was told they were waiting for a shipment...), and the food seems to have taken a turn towards blandness and boring. There was hardly even a menu offered. I have been to this restaurant 3 times prior, and I always loved the atmosphere, the food, and the wine. However, quite literally none of that was there anymore. I don't know what is going on, but the waiter was right, they are definitely in some kind of trouble. Really too bad.
- Disturbing...tommyDined on 8/20/2013Because the sale of the restaurant has not materialized, what was is no more. My wife and I always looked forward to visiting and dining; no more. It had no ability to take credit cards! The menu consisted of limited choices!Special Features:
- SadResbdroneVIPDined on 8/16/2013I used to love this place. But now the food is sooooo bad and the service abhorrent I will never go back.
- better next timelike2eatDined on 8/15/2013We seem to have hit an understaffed summer evening (fortunately the crowd was light anyway). The bar-tender was pressed into service for our distant table and was probably preoccupied with the normal in-his-face crowd, so we felt forgotten for a while. When the food finally came, it was excellent. Somewhat puzzling was that 2 of the 3 wines listed on the menu proved to be out of stock (though our "waiter" had to make 2 trips to the bar to discover this...). Ironically, our last two visits to this place we did eat at the bar. Maybe next time, we'll skip the table and stick with the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened?4foodDined on 7/27/2013We have dined at Chez Henri many times and it has been a favorite for a quiet, romantic dinner. We particularly enjoyed the Prix Fixe menu which offered delicious food at a good value. When we arrived this time, we were informed that the Prix Fix menu had been eliminated despite still being included on the Open Table web site. In its place was a very expensive menu with fewer offerings. In our party of three, our main courses ranged from mediocre (chicken) to good (lobster and steak). The mediocre chicken priced at $29 tasted reheated and the accompanying spaetzle were burnt. The steak frite and lobster were good but the lobster came in at $38. We do not think we'll be back.
- "Local European"RubobDined on 7/11/2013Chez Henri is not flashy, but has a subtle European feel that makes you happy to be there. The food is fresh/local (ceviche, oysters, corn soup with lobster & basil, risotto with multiple mushrooms), and beautifully prepared; gentle seasoning allows fresh flavors to predominate . Fabulous martinis, great chewy bread from Iggy's, and energetic service that is attentive without hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pretty goodMattVIPDined on 6/29/2013We had really high expectations and overall it didn't meet them but it was overall OK for the price. They were out of many things like no frites for the steak frites. How can you not be able to make fries when potatoes are sold down the street at the Shaw's Market? They were out of several of the wines as well. The waiter blamed it on a change in management. The prix fixe menu and french onion soup as seen online on open table that very day were no longer available.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/22/2013This restaurant was strongly recommended by a good friend who had left the area two years ago. The food was mediocre, flounder was tasteless and floated in oil.. We also ordered a clambake, the lobster was good (hard to kill a lobster), the clams were minuscule and dry. The "Portuguese" sausage was so salty, you could not eat it.
- My meal was very good , myOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2013My meal was very good , my wife got the chicken and it was over cooked and the side was over cooked and burned . Service was fair to good I was planning to order a glass of wine with my meal but the server didn't come back until I was more than half through my meal.Special Features:
- Great FoodiabostonDined on 6/9/2013Had a great experience at Chez Henri. The menu is small but everything is fantastic. I had the swordfish special - very soft and tender - yummy! Food presentation and service are great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Disappointed customerCyroosDined on 6/6/2013I was not impressed by the food. The boulibase was a total disappointment, nothing special with the beef veal meatball dish. The stake was good but still not worth the money.
- DisappointingWestCambridgeLadyVIPDined on 6/4/2013Nothing special. Slow service. There are better choices nearby.
- Service wasn't as polishedScottVIPDined on 6/1/2013Service wasn't as polished as I expected. Our server had a hard time telling us correct information-for example, he told us at every course that you were out of an item, then returned 30 sec later to tell us it was actually a *different* item. We didn't understand the description of one special item, and he told us that it was covered in cayenne pepper. (It was not covered with anything at all.) He entered an order from our party incorrectly: Bouillabaisse instead of boulettes. He told us very obvious things with sincere earnestness (eg., "I apologize for the long wait for your food to arrive. I bring it to you when it is ready." We thought he was going to offer us something special - not just the expected service.)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change is not always for the betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2013My husband and I have gone to this restaurant, through changes of management, for decades. It's comfortable and the food is generally imaginative and tasty. There are off nights, but they are rare. However, since they did some "improvement" to the floor, the noise level has risen to a level that sometimes makes conversation challenging. The place has also become depressingly--and not romantically--- dark. I think some Cambridge ordinance against candles might be part of that, but the restaurant also stopped lighting the lights over the paintings on the sides of the room. Less noise and somewhat more light (to the level it used to be) would be a great improvement.Special Features:
- What a shameOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2013We've wanted to go here for years. Unfortunately, the reality did not match the expectation. Food was not exciting, that's a kinda "must" for me. The service was attentive, if slow, but we gave them a pass-ish because we figured it was a good thing not to be rushed through our meal, although after 45 minutes waiting for appetizers I felt like I might like to pop into the kitchen to offer my help. Overall experience was only memorable for the feeling of disappointment.
- Chez Henri shinesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2013The French Onion soup was out of this world. Steak cooked to perfection and served in a pleasing manner. The oysters etc. must have been delicious (my companions cleaned up the plate!) Dessert choices were good - chocolate mousse was delectable. It was priey as expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, decent mealMatthewDined on 5/2/2013Went for dinner and cocktails with a friend. Good cod cake appetizer and decent drinks. Special of the night (pork) a little overcooked. Generous amount of tasty lobster bisque. Mousse had hints of coffee that I enjoyed and she didn't (more for me!). Will Learned that they only serve cubano sandwich (a speciality) at the bar, so will eat on that side next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the experience wasGr8foodVIPDined on 4/27/2013Overall the experience was okay, nothing remarkable about the restaurant. The night was a crisp spring evening. When you stepped inside to Chez Henri, it was quite warm. The loud music greets you at the door before the quiet hostess even had a chance to greet you. There were plenty of staff running around but no one really made eye contact or was friendly. The server was fair and kept forgetting our drinks or bread. He rarely asked us how our meal was or if we needed anything. It seemed as if we did not matter. Thank goodness the food was delicious which made the experience better. This was not a memorable dining experience.Special Features:
- Only one of the four itemsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Only one of the four items we ordered was good and nothing was exceptional. In particular, someone in the kitchen believes in salt, and not in small amounts. The pork loin we ordered also came significantly overcooked.
- Great food, though a prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2013Great food, though a pretty limited menu. We went a bit late, and they seem to stop serving relatively early (they close at 10:30pm, and we couldn't get more bread at 10:15 on a Friday night)Special Features:
- It was sadly quite empty,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2013It was sadly quite empty, even for a Thursday night.
- It had a different menu thanOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/22/2013It had a different menu than what was posted on line. The waiter explained business was bad. I should have left then.
- I took my friend here forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013I took my friend here for her birthday and we had a fantastic time. The food was absolutely delicious! The staff was friendly and accommodating. And the ambiance was warm and inviting. My only complaint was the noise level. It got a bit loud at times but that just may have been the people on either side of us.Special Features:
- I've always had a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2013I've always had a great experience here but on this particular Saturday night it was bedlam: way too noisy, not enough servers, food came out not as I ordered, food not as well prepared as usual. I gave 3 stars based on good prior experiences.
- Fantastic DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/12/2013This is our fifth time at Chez Henri and we know its a fantastic restaurant but we still get blown away everytime we dine here. The Mussels Mariniere was excellent, Fresh and plump mussels in an aromatic and tasty cream broth. Crispy Salt Cod Cakes were light and delicious. the Bouillabaisse was fantastic. The seafood was so fresh and the broth with its slight 'bite' to it was oh-so-good. The pan roasted chicken breast was the best I've ever had. I normally shy away from chicken breast at restaurant for fear of it being overdone and dry. Not here. The breast was juicy, the pan juice reduction was rich and the accompaniments were excellent. Our Compliments to the Chef and staff for another wonderful experience!Special Features:
- My 4th time at this restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/7/2013My 4th time at this restaurant. Wanted to bring my son to celebrate his 21stbirthday. Evidently the word is out on this place because there was no one there , us and two other tables. Dark and dingy. In disrepair but the worst was the food. Lobster bisque tasted like dishwater as did the bouillabaisse same broth. The steaks and fries were over salted...this coming from someone who likes salt. The salad dressing was also over salted. The only good thing ...the desserts! Ordered 3 different ones, they were all great?
- Unpleasantly noisy and hardOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/6/2013Unpleasantly noisy and hard to hear other people at the table- Bad acoustics and they had music. Dark enough to need flashlights for menu. Hard to park. Food was tasty but not very well presented and one entree came about 20 minutes after the others, although they did not charge for it. Service was generally slow and not very polished
- missed the markOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2013I had heard good things, but I was wrong. This is a unanimous review among all 4 of the diners at the table. Service was spotty - took WAY too long to get appetizers, second drink, etc, appetizer order was messed up twice, entre order was placed incorrectly on the table, both appetizer and entre order had three come out at once and the fourth waiting a few minutes. Food was not good - the same lobster bisque appetizers came out two different ways, steak was extremely tough and flounder with almond was not good tasting. Waiter tried to compensate for lack of service with extra desserts, a nice gesture, but that never makes up for my restaurant choice being a bust. Makes me appreciate all the times I get the restaurant pick right.