Chez Francois - Vermilion
555 Main Street
Vermilion, OH 44089Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Chez Francois - Vermilion
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.chezfrancois.com/
- Phone: 440-967-0630
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, International
- Executive Chef: Chef D'Amico
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Chez Francois' private dining room "The Parisian Room" has a 50 person capacity and overlooks the Vermilion River with views of the Vermilion Lagoons and Lake Erie. The restaurant caters to the wants and needs of their guests when events are planned in this room. Surprise birthday parties, baby showers, anniversaries, etc.
- Private Party Contact: Chef John D'Amico 4409670630
- Entertainment: Chez Francois features live entertainment of Saturdays at Touché, the music changes each week from acoustic guitar to Latin/Jazz to Rhythm & Blues. Sportcoat requested for dining inside; tie is optional. Business Casual is requested for River Front Cafe dining.
A word from Chez Francois - Vermilion
"If your a serious foodie" or "if romance is calling, sail on up" - literally - to this "French gem" on the Vermilion River, where the "sumptuous" menu and "professional but friendly" staff earn it the top rating from Food and Service in the Cleveland area; "well worth the drive" west of downtown , this "ethereal experience" (the perfect place to propose!") also includes a phenomenal wine list", "charming old world dining room" and "relaxing" riverfront cafe. Proper attire required. Touché a martini/wine bar was opened in 2007 and offers a "small plates" menu and a great selection of adult beverages.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Chez Francois - Vermilion - Best Restaurants in Vermilion ›
Chez Francois - Vermilion reviews from OpenTable diners
242 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (204)romantic (181)scenic view (157)notable wine list (152)great for outdoor dining (147)fit for foodies (142)neighborhood gem (61)good for groups (33)hot spot (32)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (11)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Amazing meal time after timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014You can't go wrong at Chez Francois. Be prepared to spend but it's so worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome anniversary experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I celebrated our 28th anniversary at Chez and they made it a truly memorable experience for us from beginning to end. We were greeted warmly on arrival and ushered to a beautiful table in the middle of the restaurant with a great view of the outdoors. The server and table attendant(s) were professional, courteous, helpful and gracious. The food was exceptional, as was the wine. This restaurant has managed to stay on the top for a long time, so you know they are doing something right. I highly recommend Chez for anyone looking for a memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/9/2014Great for a fall evening dinner. Sit outside and soak in the view of Lake Erie. Food an service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HAVE TO EAT HERE MORE OFTENHECHADined on 9/9/2014WE HAVE KEPT CHEZ FRANCOIS AS A SPECIAL DINING EXPERIENCE OVER THE YEARS, NOW THE SPECIAL OCCASIONS HAVE TO BE MORE OFTEN AS WE ARE GETTING OLDER. OUR 53rd ANNIVERSARY DINNER WAS THE BEEF WELLINGTON AND THE PETIT FILET, WHICH COULD BE CUT WITH A FORK AND IT MELTED IN YOUR MOUTH. NO ROOM FOR DESERT. OUR LOSS THE PATIO WAS FILLED FOR A TUESDAY NIGHT AND THE INSIDE DINING ROOM WAS ALSO CROWDED. THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES. WILL BE THERE FOR OUR SPECIAL OCCASION ( we have to find one) NEXT MONTH AND THE MONTH AFTER THATSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Up sell everythingKenAVIPDined on 9/7/2014I had not been to Chez Francois for many years and was looking forward to the meal for a special occasion. My family drove an hour to get there. I hope the main chef was off on our visit because there was nothing exceptional. I have a problem when the server up sells everything...appetizer, drinks, main courses and even dessert. All in all, the meal was bland and uninspired. I am glad we went because I now have no desire to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014Loved it! I did not know there was outdoor dining when I made reservations, but when we arrived and saw the out door dining I asked if we could be seated outside and they went out of their way to find a table with a fantastic view and prepare it for us. Service is wonderful. Food fantastic.Special Features:
- Wonderful!!ladyelizabetheDined on 9/5/2014We have celebrated every anniversary with Chez Francois for the last 10 years. It is always a delight and the food and service are exquisite. We would not go anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True GemTomsgirlDined on 9/5/2014We had a wonderful dinner here. The food was phenomenal as was the service. We will surely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French DinnerglorDined on 9/5/2014They made my sweetbreads just like I wanted them. Wonderful. My guests also enjoyed their meal. David woofed down the veal chop. Christine loved the squash that was served instead of the pasta. She thought you should always serve it with the squash. It made it gluten free for her but she loved it. She loved the dish. The wine we had was very good. Great view from inside, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really one of the best in OhioJackPDined on 9/4/2014Every few years we go here and forget how outstanding it really is. Food and ambiance are superior and the service is as close to Manhattan as one gets in this part of the countrySpecial Features:
- Delicious Labor Day WeekendIndigo05VIPDined on 8/31/2014We chose Chez Francois for outdoor dining to celebrate the end of summer with friends. We were seated at a nice table and enjoyed a beautiful meal with a great view. The chef's seasonal specials are always a good choice. I chose the red snapper with fresh peaches and my husband had the lobster thermidor. Both were superb. Service was quite good until later in our meal when it seemed we waited forever for our coffee, desserts and check (which is not typical based on previous dining experiences here). At least if you have to wait, it's pleasant enough at the most beautiful waterfront dining spot in Ohio.Special Features:
- Best food in OhioGmanDined on 8/31/2014If you like gourmet food, then this is a must for youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKmgerakDined on 8/30/2014It was the best restaurant I have been to in years I recommend it highly will come back oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming waterfront restaurantPickyeaterVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a nice evening- the restaurant was busy but service was pleasant and attentive. The food was ok and while nothing was glaringly bad, I started with a recommended appetizer that was not memorable & my Dover sole entree was so salty and does not favorably compare to other experiences. A chocolate mousse desert was good, but again not compared to others. I would recommend knowing that this is a quaint alternative for a special occasion in terms of ambiance but not recommended for a foodie. Very nice staff though- everyone was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- silperDined on 8/30/2014The service was excellent. Based on other reviews I was expecting something incredible, but unfortunately I was not wowed but the food. It was good but not memorable. I shall not return.Special Features:
- Good food, Great ViewResvplsDined on 8/30/2014Touche is the upper restaurant and bar with a smaller menu for less $. Chez is the lower restaurant with a larger menu, but also more $$. Food and drinks were both good. The atmosphere was great-super view of the Harbor and boats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BetteBoopDined on 8/29/2014We celebrated my birthday on the patio as we have done for the last 18 years. The food, service, view and atmosphere was wonderful as usual!Special Features:
- pricy for what is isoroshiDined on 8/29/2014The atmosphere and service is what we could expect from a high level French restaurant. The food was not. I had the scallops and the the sole with almonds. The scallops were perfectly cooked but they were served on a tasteless mashed potatoes. There was so much of this preparation that it was difficult to reach the mushrooms under it. This is not was scallops in the shell are supposed to be. The sole with almonds was a little better, it was literaly soaking in butter though and had nothing exceptional. Later, we learner that the former sous-chef left to open his own restaurant about a year ago, and that the quality had started to decrease after that.
- Great classic French foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/26/2014Everything was great. Food was excellent though a bit heavy. Classic with some modern twists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moooVIPDined on 8/24/2014We had been there before and it was again terrific. Can't say enough great things about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatoutLuv2eatoutDined on 8/23/2014Unfortunately we started the evening by being seated almost a half hour after our scheduled reservation. The restaurant changed our Open Table reservation from 8:00 to 8:30, a couple of days before we went, and then seated us at almost 9:00. After that, the food and service on the patio were great. Possibly the restaurant should leave more than 2 hours between seatings so guests have more time to linger, and won't keep the next guests waiting so long to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JeffDined on 8/23/2014John our waiter was absolutely superb. He is an absolute joy and has a bit of Alton Brown about him. Made for a lovely evening. Can't wait to be back. And the food was exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzanneDined on 8/23/2014We were celebrating our 50th anniversary so it was a very special evening for us. Everyone at Chez Francois helped to make it a wonderful dining experience. Our waiters Jim and Craig were personable and prompt. They offered wonderful suggestions for our dining pleasure. We finished the evening with beautiful celebratory presentations for dessert. It was truly a dining experience we will never forget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine diningsnoopyDined on 8/20/2014wonderful food.. service was excellent. Everything we had was fresh a nicely presented..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining PerfectionFEFIFOFUMVIPDined on 8/17/2014Not so much as a single misstep. A old five stars!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Dinner on the river/canal front terrace, twice during a vacation trip to and from the east coast and northern Wisconsin in August - casual, very pleasant, albeit somewhat noisy, crowded and hectic on the Friday and Sunday evenings that we were there. The in-door dining room is undoubtedly quieter, more sedate and more intimate. Given the restaurant's very pleasant setting and the small town, holiday atmosphere of Vermilion, I can understand its popularity. Nonetheless, its rank as Zagat's "highest rated" restaurant in Ohio is a bit surprising. Dishes that we had during our 2 visits were all very good to excellent but, in some cases mannered and not quite at a level consistent with their expense. "House" wines were well chosen and excellent.Special Features:
- Fabulous restaurant!debbiekDined on 8/17/2014I choose this restaurant anytime I have an excuse for a special occasion dinner, especially in the summer. Food and view are fabulous. Very relaxing and casual, like no place else in northeast Ohio. I cannot say enough great things about this restaurant! While the food is French and certainly upscale, the service is friendly and down to earth, a rare combination in my book.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerTK33Dined on 8/16/2014We had not been to Chez Francois in probably 10 years, and back then I t was for our wedding anniversary. We went back earlier this month and had a great time. Food was excellent, and our server, Leah, was outstanding. I liked the fact that we were not rushed to leave. Staff was very friendly. Again, our dinner was amazing. It was nice of them to know that we were there celebrating our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of France' in VermillionHutchDined on 8/16/2014The easiest way to sum up Chez Francois is "wonderful". The service is impeccable. Great location. Our servers (Michael & Michael) were nearly perfect & certainly added to our experience. Great wine list from modest to exotic. The food was very good. My beef wellington wasn't exactly as I remembered it. It is "deconstructed" and I prefer the real deal (I know what a pain that is for the Chef to make) Corn chowder appetizer with scallop is to die for. Overall an outstanding restaurant and I doubt you will be disappointed. Inside dining room decor cozy and dark (jacket required) Outside a great deck and covered patio. Also a great martini bar. Different food outside the main dining room, but I'm sure good. The dinner menu inside only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed the special attention paid by the staff on the occasion of our wedding anniversary. They had an anniversary card signed by the staff at our table and the chef wrote greetings in chocolate on our dessert dishes. The staff was very attentive without hovering. We enjoyed the atmosphere and food. There is a very high concentration of Seafood on the menu. This indoor seating is formal and wonderful for a special evening. The outdoor seating we observed was more casual. What a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014A wonderful experience. A bit on the expensive side, but worth every dollar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionJuleDined on 8/15/2014We've heard about Chez Francois for years. It did not disappoint! We can't think of anything to improve on. If you want a special memorable evening this is your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionLulabelle3Dined on 8/15/2014We recently dined inside at Chez Francois for a celebration of my birthday and our anniversary. When we arrived, We were given a beautiful anniversary card signed by all the staff. We both were intrigued with the history of the building and liked how the room was decorated. It had very nice ambiance. Our waitress, Leia, was fantastic and we enjoyed her helper as well. Both our servers were professional, knew the menu and ingredients of each item offered, were friendly and helped to make our visit special. We enjoyed our food and the wine choice, picked by Leia, was excellent. From start to finish, we had a memorable time. (Noise level was minimal, great spacing between tables!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 bad dinnerboatergirlDined on 8/13/2014We had a party of four with three of the members having a wonderful dinner. My dinner (which the waiter recommended) was very disappointing. the ambience was great as was the wine. I am sure we will go back as it is a yearly boat trip for us, but next time I will go with my choice and not ask waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time disappointedniceselectionDined on 8/13/2014We have eaten at Chez Francois many times, and have always loved it for special occasions. This time, though, my grouper was overcooked and dry; and I was disappointed in the rather rushed service our waiter and waitress (was never sure which; they seemed to alternate) appeared to labor under. Everything else was fine; my husband's dinner was excellent. Chez Francois is very expensive, but the cost has always been worth it until now. I hope next time it will meet its high standards again.Special Features:
- Second amazing dinnerMargandCoDined on 8/10/2014We came up for the weekend with our daughter and have a wonderful time! We live in Cincinnati and Chez Francois was recommended a couple years ago and we were not disappointed. Upon deciding to visit Cedar Point and Sandusky, we immediately made our reservation and we thrilled that they could accommodate us on a Sunday night. We LOVED the stuffed zucchini blossom special, lobster bisque, wellington and veal chops! Our server was friendly but very knowledgeable and professional. We requested the patio and enjoyed the view of the Vermillion lagoons and boats going by. We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014The staff was outstanding - my 96 year old Mother's first trip to the restaurant, and there were too many stairs for her to negotiate with a cane - so the staff allowed us to stay upstairs in the bar -and they treated her like a Queen!Special Features:
- Saturday night outSummerLuvrDined on 8/9/2014We have been to this restaurant many times, but rarely on a Saturday night. We had friends from out of town and we wanted them to experience one of the best dining establishments in the area. The fact that it was quite busy made the service slower than normal and the wait staff was quite rushed and made some mistakes. However, the food was very good and the scenery on the water was beautiful. Just be prepared to dine leisurely if you visit the restaurant on a good weather weekend in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014As a long time patron of Chez Francois We were very disappointed in the quality of our dinners last Saturday evening. This was an annual gathering of boating friends, 12 in all, who have dined at the restaurant for many years. Our opinions of this years experience were unanimously disappointing. Food and presentation were inconsistent This was in sharp contrast to many of our past experiences.
- SandblasterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014The food and service made it a very special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.