2 E. Grace St.
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezfoushee.com/
- Phone: 8046483225x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30 - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Josh Wood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: With over 25 years of catering experience, Chez Foushee specializes in elegant events of any size. We offer event coordination, floral design and menu planning to help you enjoy your event to the fullest. Our seamless service and seasonal menus contribute to the success of your function. Utilizing partnerships with our vendors allows for impressive occasions with a focus on quality at a reasonable price. We also have a Cocktail Party Platter menu for hassle free, pick up and serve occasions including stylishly displayed buffet style selections.
- Private Party Facilities: At Chez Foushee, we have over 20 years of experience in catering and have prepared for events ranging from society galas to corporate receptions.
Our dining room is available for on-site private dinners of approximately 30 – 50 guests and cocktail functions up to 100 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Dennis Spurgeon 8046483225x
- Cross Street: Foushee
- Public Transit: We are located 1 block from the major bus line running on Broad St. with a stop at the intersection of Broad and Foushee St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Chez Foushee has plenty of street parking along with off-street parking in the Parkway Parking lot adjacent to our location. No payment required for the lot we take care of that for you.
A word from Chez Foushee
Chez Foushee opened in the Fall of 1989 as a small deli and catering operation offering carry-out and boxed lunches. As business continued to flourish a number of renovations occurred and the entire building was purchased in the Fall of 1995. Located in historic Monroe Ward, just blocks from the venerable Jefferson Hotel, we are situated close to downtown and the Broad Street arts district. Chez Foushee offers lunch and carry-out weekdays, as well as dinner every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. We offer brunch Sunday mornings. Our menus change seasonally with an emphasis on fresh, local and sustainable ingredients. On site catering is available Monday – Thursday for private dinner and cocktail parties. Semi-private dining is offered on Friday and Saturday evenings. Please inquire about full-service offsite catering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Chez Foushee - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Chez Foushee reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)special occasion (40)romantic (36)neighborhood gem (28)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (23)good for groups (16)hot spot (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- 25th year! Birthday for us!AgrumpDined on 10/18/2014Reservation requests met. Not rushed but table drink and food management should have been more timely. The mussels great table starter but ask if bread is ready or dish may chill , bartender kept up but waiter should get party starter sooner. Brussels sprout served as entree for 1 dinner, the special beef steak was cooked perfectly medium rare, the trout filets were also great and no little bones, all the sides paired very nice. Our Carmel chocolate dessert was shared as we finished our wine. Ticket with a 12$ drink , hot tea, and a $30 wine for three was 116$ before adding the excessive RVA tax 12%, tip was added at my 20% level even though the service did not warrant. Still recommend for dinner and will return on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to spot!EatsalotDined on 10/18/2014Always delicious! Our favorite before we see a play downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FriendlyRenzDined on 10/17/2014The staff greeted this party of 1 with empathy and joy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Foushee -- a Richmond favoriteDianaVIPDined on 10/17/20142 friends and I absolutely loved our dinner at Chez Foushee on a Friday night before the theatre. Cocktails and the chef's cuisine were perfectly prepared. Because the menu is seasonal and changing, you might not be able to get what I ordered. If you ever can, try the shrimp & pumpkin bisque; delicious, full of shrimp and had a lovely kick that made it very special. My trout with beans and mushrooms, was also delicious. As each course came and went, I looked at our 3 plates and there wasn't a bit left on any of them. We finished with hot toffee pudding that did not disappoint. Everything that can possibly be made is made at Chez Foushee; even the butter.Special Features:
- Second Visit Also DelightedSusnandBowWDined on 10/16/2014An early dinner several months ago had us eagerly anticipating our return visit. We were once again charmed by this small restaurant which, as indicated by a special menu is marking 25 years in business. They have kept up with the times! Very interesting menu was executed deftly. The date night wine special has jumped to $25 from $18, but we enjoyed a tasty Gavi that was eel worth the price. The date night 2 course dinner at $25 offered excellent options. Shrimp and creamy grits as well as steak were superb. One of our party felt the trout had been cooked a bit beyond perfect. Highly recommend Chez Foushee!Special Features:
- Sunday brunchFoodetteDined on 10/12/2014The building itself along with the interior are just beautiful and welcoming. The staff is amazing friendly and they serve an excellent cup of coffee. The brunch menu was interesting but the execution fell a little short. We ordered the french toast and it was a bit underdone and the fruit seemed less fresh than you'd expect. While we don't go for giant portions during our meals, we were surprised by how small some of the offerings were. For instance, a side of fruit was 1 strawberry, 1 slice of cantaloupe and 1 slice of honeydew. It came across like more of a garnish than a side. The service was absolutely wonderful which is why our overall rating was higher. We are willing to give it another try though because of the service.Special Features:
- MSKMskBvkDined on 10/11/2014always a favorite spot to celebrate life and blessings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Chez!Kittie1catVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always perfect. My first choice restaurant in Richmond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch or dinnerDianaVIPDined on 10/6/2014I've been to Chez Foushee many times and am always delighted with the service and the food. Lunches or dinners are both special there. Lunch this time was no exception. My friend and I enjoyed the braised chicken thigh with cherries ... delicious and a perfect fall choice.Special Features:
- Great service, okay foodFoodie48Dined on 9/20/2014The service and ambience were fantastic. The drinks were great too. However some of the dishes were very salty. I normally love a little extra salt but this was just too much. I'd steer clear of the shrimp and grits and the Caesar salad for this reason. Dessert was great!Special Features:
- A consistent great experiencerestaurantmavenVIPDined on 9/20/2014Chez Foushee is a wonderful spot, great food, great atmosphere, great service. Thanks!Special Features:
- One of many Richmond greatsChicagoRichmondDined on 9/19/2014It is very difficult to stand out in such a great food city as Richmond. Chez Foushee presents a unique choice with their take on food preparation and presentation. The fish options that we selected were nicely done (salmon and grouper). Although there was a mix up on our order, they made it right. They obviously cared deeply about patron satisfaction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night dinnerBelleFullDined on 9/12/2014Intimate experience with outstanding food. Interesting flavor combinations, nice wine list, warm and friendly staff.Special Features:
- What a gem!JackieDined on 8/31/2014We absolutely adore Chez Foushee! Over the past two years, our brunch group has tried multiple restaurants and locations in search of our favorite ambiance, food, bloody mary/mimosa, and all around experience. Chez Foushee has been consistently at the very top of our list in food, ambiance, and general experience. We've been there twice for brunch and once for dinner, and are always more than delighted to be there. Thank you for being such a wonderful restaurant! None of us have ever had a bad meal with you all, and we'll most definitely be returning again soon!Special Features:
- Special occasion gembubbaDined on 8/28/2014We went to Chez Foushee for my wife's birthday dinner as we do every year.The dinner was most enjoyable and we were able to make use of their Happy Hour bargains. A wonderful evening.Special Features:
- A Richmond FavoriteDianaVIPDined on 8/28/2014I've enjoyed lunch at Chez Foushee several times and was always glad I did. The ambience, service, & food are always just right. I tried the soup special, sweet pea with ham, and found it delicious, loaded with ham, but not heavy. Full of light from windows on 2 sides and the crisp white linens, Chez Foushee is a lovely place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A slice of Paris !WineguyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Amazing food and service. This restaurant was like a slice of Paris. Fresh, friendly and very tasty !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunch venueBusinesslunchDined on 8/8/2014We had a wonderful lunch. Great good and service in a beautiful setting.Special Features:
- Awesome find...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Although they were out of both steak items on the menu, the salad and main course (grouper) were phenomenal. Also tried the lemon butter cake, delicious! Delightful owner/host! Enjoy!!Special Features:
- Excellent DiningJohnDined on 8/2/2014Lovely atmosphere for an excellent meal. Great menu of enticing starters and entres. Very convenient to VA Rep theatre with free parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad meal!BuddhlaDined on 7/31/2014We love this little restaurant. The food and the service are always excellent! Their portion sizes and their flavors are definitely southern. We have never leave this place hungry. We always make it a point to stop by whenever we are in Richmond. We truly recommend this little gem!Special Features:
- Not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014We recently took our two grown daughters and their spouses to Chez Foushee to celebrate two birthdays. We have had several enjoyable dinners there in the past and thought it would be a treat for them. Sorry to say it did not live up to expectations. Two ordered steak and it was not the cut listed on the menu. Both pieces had gristle and fat running through. I ordered the Mahi Mahi with spinach risotto. The fish came on top of what looked like pea soup. I was only able to eat about half the fish before being overwhelmed by the amount of black pepper (and I like black pepper!). The Brussels sprout salad was good but that was about it. Big waste of money. Sorry, CF, won't be back.
- Love the restaurantTresBienDined on 7/10/2014The waiter remembered us from last time a few months back. Great vibe. Busy night so service a bit slow but not any real problem as we were with friends and not in a rush. Our out of town guests loved it. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez FousheeBremo2VIPDined on 7/10/2014Chez Foushee is our favorite restaurant in Richmond. We would eat there more often if we actually lived in Richmond. The food and service are consistently good and the ambiance is pleasing. The front, where the small bar is can get noisy, but the back is more moderate and because of the layout noise from the bar area is more of a background hum than a real distraction. The menu isn't long, but it is nicely varied, and everything my wife and I have tried there has been very well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicelauri1VIPDined on 7/10/2014Great service but i felt the restaurant is a bit tired. The food good.
- Great lunch!CoffeyDined on 7/2/2014Great food and atmosphere for a business lunch. Also interesting building and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch FindPadgVIPDined on 6/29/2014First time here and was very pleased. Food and service were extraordinary .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnbelievableFinnanDined on 6/28/2014Truly one of richmond's treasure. Great food, unbelievable menu. Unlike a new restaurant that relies on trying to be fancy, these guys are fancy without trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 275 reviews are from the Chez Foushee reviews archive.
- Consistently FantasticNickVIPDined on 6/20/2014We always have a fantastic experience here - outstanding service and a rotating seasonal menu that is always well done.Special Features:
- Memorable BrunchLuvamenuDined on 6/15/2014Before my Father's Day activities, my wife and I had brunch at Chez Foushee this past Sunday and even though we know the restaurant well, this meal was really a hit. Both the Croque Madame and the Andouille Scramble were outstanding and enough to really satisfy us. Because it was Father's day, the restaurant was busy, but the service provided just the right amount of attention and everything was served on time. Another thing that I particularly like about the bar selection is that they offer more than one style of Bloody Mary and include my favorite, Clamato. Many thanks to Andrew, Dennis and the staff for always providing a quality dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Fathers' Day BruncheatoutoftenDined on 6/15/2014I booked with Chez Foushee for brunch on Fathers' Day for my husband, daughter, son-in-law, grandson (4 months old), and me. I had requested a table where we could put the baby's carseat and be out of the restaurant foot traffic. We were seated at the back of the restaurant which had a large bench seat, ideal for the baby. Our waiter was attentive, helpful in selecting the food, and friendly. The food was excellent with portions which were large enough for the two men. My daughter had the oyster roast which she loved. The highlight was the desserts. My husband and I had the lemon cake which was marvelous, and my daughter and her husband had the chocolate torte. We all agreed that we would definitely return.Special Features:
- Outstanding Daily SpecialsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/12/2014Went on a recent Thursday featuring wines that were combined with daily selections. Had the Malbec - excellent! Planned a leisurely dinner and server Veronica did not rush us at all. Veronica knew the menu and the wine selections. Had as appetizer fabulous Boulin Balls with pork that were a nice spicy flavor and very tasty sauce. Soup du jour was tomato bisque. Nice consistency. Caesar Salad - crunchy romaine and peppery dressing; Entrée catfish with fried oysters - superb. Finally the chocolate flourless torte - chocolate finale - made sure we had room for dessert! As always with this restaurant - food wonderful and tasty; service professional and knowledgeable overall terrific dining experience. Like the daily specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A grand slam, NO ball park needed!!AgrumpDined on 6/7/2014The greeting at the door is always smiles and friendly, and our server was right on q at every step. First up to the plate were the mussels, just right with a not too salty sauce that allowed for tasty dipping on warm bread. Of course the starter was a "pollen cutter" of gin, etc. two salads one of grilled asparagus with the chefs creative tasty toppings of crispy porcine and cheese; grilled brussel sprouts always a favorite with the tangy blue; a bottle of white kept everything crisp. Next up was the grilled salmon with a lobster risotto, how much flavor can you stand; then there are the famous and close-by soft shell crabs decked out in their spring/summer veggie finery. All the desserts are to die for and are a sweet finish to a win!!!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerdsgalDined on 6/7/2014Food was delicious, service was great. Had a table by the window, great people watching.Special Features:
- fantastic placeDiandralDined on 6/5/2014Chez Foushee is a fantastic place. It was our dining club and everyone was pleased with their meals. We got a wide variety of dishes and they were all good. We will be back.Special Features:
- SueyDined on 6/5/2014Our lunch was excellent. Food was delicious and good service. I have been going to Chez Fouchee for many years and they continue to be a top notch restaurant - especially to celebrate special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very happyKmh3415Dined on 6/3/2014We (a mixed group of foodies and anti-foodies) ate here for lunch to celebrate a special occasion. We were impressed with their reasonable prices, excellent specials list, and multitude of options. We started with pimento cheese (who knew how good that could be?) and as entrees we had salmon, shrimp & grits, gumbo, and the Brussels sprouts salad. The star of the meal was definitely the Lemon Butter Cake, which we all split. None of us have been able to stop talking about what a gem this restaurant is and how delicious everything was! Ambience and service were also stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful ServiceSabreDined on 6/3/2014The food was well prepared and presented, but somewhat pricey. However, service was terrible. There was only one waiter, a hostess and a bar tender. While we were there the three stood at the bar and conversed. Following the initial service, the waiter failed to return to refresh the water and never inquired if we wanted coffee or tea. Each time we needed service we had to summons the waiter by raising a hand.There were very few diners in the restaurant, approximately three other tables. Unable to recommend this restaurant to Opentable visitors and strongly suggest that you dine elsewhere.
- RickRickandDannaDined on 5/31/2014Great atmosphere. Outstanding food. Flash fired oysters were fantastic. We had the soft shell crab over succotash. They were excellent. Dessert was the lemony cheese cake. It was also excellent. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skingDined on 5/29/2014Love it! The shrimp and grits are the best! My husband loved the chargrilled ribeye steak. Food and service are terrific, always consistently great!lmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.