275, Notre-Dame Ouest
Montreal, QC H2Y 1T8Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.chezdelmo.com/
- Phone: 5142884288
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am- 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm- 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Patrick Vandal
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: happy hour on Thursdays
A word from Chez Delmo
Situated in Old Montreal and steps away from the Old Port, this French restaurant established in 1932 makes you feel like you’re at sea savoring the most delicious treasures of the blue waters of the river and ocean. Specializing in fish and seafood, Chez Delmo serves a delicious meal with fresh ingredients. At Chez Delmo, you can choose from a large variety of fish: Dover sole, salmon, cod, sea-bass, halibut, and many more prepared the French way. This means being served in delicious sauces and delicate spices that bring out the fish’s natural flavors without masking them. You may also opt for scallops, shrimp and lobster. Chez Delmo also offers an à la carte dinner and lunch menu. The restaurant's is large and open-aired with a granite bar, the color of which perfectly matches the off-white walls. The mood is very bright thanks to large windows which bathe the high-ceilings of the dining room with light and which offer a beautiful view of the charming Old Montreal atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chez Delmo reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)special occasion (32)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (19)notable wine list (17)good for groups (16)great for lunch (13)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Fabulous SeafoodjoiseychowhoundVIPDined on 10/15/2014A relatively straight-forward restaurant with simply superb seafood. Simple, traditional cooking. Slightly hassled but friendly service and an eccentric owner/restaurateur. What could be more Montreal than that? High prices, yes, and don't expect elegance though you will have a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!SadMexifoodLoverVIPDined on 10/10/2014Do not hesitate to spend an evening at Chez Delmo. Christopher at the bar will make you a spectacular cocktail. He is a world class mixologist and just so much fun! The food is also extraordinary. The fish is exquisitely fresh, perfectly prepared, and served with great care. Benoit, the owner, and Adam are omnipresent and the result is elegant and comfortable perfection. The best seafood in Montreal, a serious claim!!!Special Features:
- Disappointing servicePtownmanDined on 10/10/2014BEST - extraordinary cocktails, delicious Mojito and Cosmo - could not think of ever having had better. Positives - seated immediately as requested at a window, foie gras was excellent, seafood salad (crab, lobster, shrimp on Boston lettuce) was fresh; Neutral - not a very attractive space. Negatives - Angus bavette was tough although cooked medium rare and swimming in so much sauce that it turned the not-so-great frites into a soggy lump. WORST -Service was very poor. Waiters were young and pleasant but very inexperienced. Cocktails were served way too slowly, water glasses were never refreshed and once the order was taken our waiter disappeared until we were so finished with the place that we just wanted the check so we could leave.
- Exquisite Seafood, Great AmbiancePhotobulbDined on 10/10/2014Within easy walking distance from Notre Dame Basilica, Chez Delmo offers deliciously prepared seafood, vegetables, and bread, complemented by enjoyable wine and an inviting ambiance. "Lucky Lime" Oysters, grilled scallops, and Prince Edward Island mussels were all exquisite! The restaurant offers an intimate European "feel." A great bonus is the direct engagement of the Proprietaire both nights that we shared dinner there--clearly, he take exceptional pride in his craft. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montreal GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014This was an excellent find for fresh fish. We were strolling the neighborhood looking for a nice place for lunch. The food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- normDined on 9/30/2014The Restaurant is excellent in fact the best Sea food and fish in town, however it is expensive but worth every pennySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding seafoodStanfordFanVIPDined on 9/27/2014The Walleye and the cod we had were our favorite entrees while we were Montreal. The salad was ok but nothing special. The octopus had a great flavor but was just a bit too chewy. The waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- Great overall performanceBMP1Dined on 9/24/2014If you like fish, this is one of the very few places in Montreal were you should go. The food is excellent. We had guests with us, and they were also delighted.The place was still half full when we left at 10 pm on a Wednesday night; this is very indicative. The owner is always present and makes sure your dining expectations are met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday nightPaPaVIPDined on 9/22/2014Not sure if it was because we were there on a Monday night, but several of the items on the menu were sold out. However, there was plenty to chose from since the menu is large. The salmon tartare is not to be missed!Special Features:
- Chez DelmoQuiltDined on 9/20/2014One of the best seafood restaurants I've eaten at! Delicious food & great service! Loved the entire dining experience.Special Features:
- food4thesoulDined on 9/13/2014The food was ok but not for the prices charged. one of our party asked for rare lamb received it medium and all they offered her quickly was a lackluster tasteless seafood salad. The owner came over and basically was unapologetic and abrupt. The service was too long .Arrived at 645 and main course arrived 830 -will not return.
- Enjoyable evening!Marm832Dined on 9/12/2014We decided to try this restaurant based on previous open table reviews and I am happy to report, we were not disappointed. Our waiter, Julian, was fantastic. Both his suggestions regarding food and wine were greatly appreciated. We loved the caviar and the Dover sole. We will definitely return in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!AidanCDined on 9/12/2014I went off the Open Table recommendation and booked for 4 here on Friday night. Great seafood - the oysters were excellent & the Dover Sole to die for. A good wine selection - old world especially. Service was really good. A knowledgeable and attentive waitress who made good suggestions and changed (with an apologetic smile) a bottle of St Joseph that was tired, but not corked topped the evening. Not sure the Steak Tartare is historic, but the seafood makes this somewhere not to miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly MemorableFarmytimeDined on 9/5/2014Everything about our experience at Chez Delmo was outstanding. When we arrived, we were asked if we would like a table for two in the back (available immediately) or if we'd like to wait 5 minutes for a table by the window. We opted to wait by the bar and spoke with the bartender, who crafted two exceptional drinks for us: the pepper kilt and a bourbon drink with aperol, vermouth, and orange (wish I could remember more details as I'd love to try recreating it at home!) Our food was also delicious, but I mostly want to highlight the lobster bisque and the halibut Provençal. They were phenomenal! Our waiter, Alex, is the son of the owner. He was superbly attentive, and friendly. I would return to Montreal just for Chez Delmo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findAkdreDined on 9/2/2014We are from NY and were in Montreal for our honeymoon. We found Chez Delmo on tripadvisor and foursquare and booked based on the diverse menu. Our experience exceeded our expectations. Everything arrived at our table fresh and very very hot, right out of the kitchen. The flavors were amazing and the owner checked on us a few times during the night. I only wish our stomachs were bigger so we didn't have to stop eating! It was expensive but fair for the quality you get. The owner ended up walking us out and asking about us and I made sure to tell him that I will be writing a stellar review and thank you for the wonderful experience that is his restaurant. 100% recommended and can't wait to return! 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John23Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent food and services. The sole de Douves one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodRJSRJSDined on 8/23/2014Was here 8/23/14 and had a wonderful meal. Food was perfect and service was excellent
- Délicieux homard !!!CecilouDined on 8/16/2014Soirée charmante pour mon anniversaire, le personnel extrêmement poli et serviable nous a gentiment conseillé sur notre choix, le plat était exquis. Les cocktails étaient très bons. Nous avons été servis assez rapidement mais pas trop, nous avons eu le temps de boire nos apéritifs tranquillement. La salle est très jolie et calme, la rue est également très agréable. Une belle expérience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!DylonfryonDined on 8/13/2014I brought my girlfriend for her birthday and it was absolutely magnificant! She had the grilled scallops and i decided to go simple with the a classic, fish and chips. I was pleasantly surprised! The beer batter was well seasoned,light and crispy. The fish was was so flaky and moist with a wonderfully robust homemade tartar sauce! 10/10!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exactly what we wantedGerryDined on 8/7/2014Great service, food, and ambiance. Fun place. Delicious food...especially if you love seafood. Will return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish lovers, this is for youXcountrydiningVIPDined on 8/1/2014Excellent fish dish selection, including seasonal options, cooked in varied traditional methods. Amazing staff, happily bilingual (EN/FR) and very attentive. And something you tend not find these days, even in fish dedicated restaurant - fish knives!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceCityview14Dined on 7/26/2014The waitress steered us toward a dish and it was ok, but greatly overpriced for the amount of food that we received. The bartender was very nice and did a nice job. Atmosphere was nice
- Outstanding for a special dinner.JoeZJoeDined on 7/23/2014Delicious chartreuse/scotch/drambuie cocktail. Nice wine list. We enjoyed halibut and chilean sea bass. Everything was perfect but it was quite expensive. We had a fabulous evening! The best meal we had on our 11-day road tour.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodSusa28Dined on 7/15/2014My husband and I were visiting Montreal and decided to give Chez Delmo a try for dinner. I had fantastic halibut and he had a wonderful seafood pasta dish.Special Features:
- One great restaurantManwiththeForkDined on 7/8/2014Perfect in every way. Food superb. Setting impressive. Service great. Neighbourhood magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Fish was fresh and tasty but desert was a big disappointment, certainly not worth 9 $ or so. Wine by the glass is far too expensive. Won't go back. Can get more for my money elsewhere. Overrated.
- Always a treat, always perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014i tried this restaurant a while ago and became somewhat of a regular, if i dare call myself a regular because at Delmo's, you always meet some regulars who have been going there often for a few years. I went back there again on July 2nd, and again on July 5th. Same welcome, same amazing fish. While it's true that on July 2nd (the day after Canada's national holiday) some of the items were missing (boo hoo, it should ALSO be mentioned that they have 30 items + on their menu), they actually had us try 3 different fish on top of our order, to compensate for the missing fish we wanted.(halibut) And so we had our grilled cod and walleye meunierre, both perfect, and then samples of arctic char, salmon hollandaise and chilean sea bass. wow!Special Features:
- Top NotchmjpinvestorDined on 7/4/2014Excellent all around. Food was amazing, service and attention to detail was outstanding. Overall, a very memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNJenkinVIPDined on 7/2/2014Everything I planned to order was unavailable, and the wait staff's timing was off all evening. When we needed something it was a healthy wait and at other times someone was interrupting a conversation to ask if anything was needed. I had heard good things, and my wife enjoyed her meal but given the cost it was a disappointment
- Really nice experienceTeatimedVIPDined on 6/27/2014Both the food and service were great. We left the restaurant full and content. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fish loversYULYYZORDDined on 6/24/2014Calamares and Octopus cook to perfection , not the usual rubbery disches you get in many restaurants.Special Features:
- The following 269 reviews are from the Chez Delmo reviews archive.
- Amazing food!Pipo252Dined on 6/21/2014The food was absolutely amazing. This is not a cheap restaurant. For 2 people it was 275$ including a bottle of wine. You could tell the servers had no experience but were trying their best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful fine dining.CDMontrealDined on 6/21/2014We choose Chez Delmo from reviews online and it's location in Old Montreal. The food was great, service wonderful, and location was great. Good choice for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!TravelerDined on 6/14/2014This was my second time at this restaurant. I love the food and atmosphere if this place :-) I'll go back at Chez Delmo every time I'm in Montreal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday eveningSheila47Dined on 6/9/2014For a Monday evening,there were quite a few diners there. The art on the walls is fun and the restaurant looks totally upbeat from the old stoggy restaurant that it was. Our Arctic char was vg as was the Chilean seabass. The rice pilar could have been tastier but the veggies were delish. The fish soup didn't need the pieces of fish floating in it. The broth was very good by itself with the croutons, aioli and fresh cheese. My friend loved her clam chowder and the snails smelled devine. Our molten chocolate cake was excellent but small .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FishOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014My husband and I dined at Chez Delmo on Saturday night. He started with the oysters which were great; my starter was the lobster bisque which was incredible-the best i've ever had. We both ordered the Halibut. We have never tasted better; not even on the shore in Bar Harbor. It was wonderful. We didn't have room for dessert which was disappointing because the dessert menu was lovely. Our server was professional, efficient and pleasant.Special Features:
- Great food, nice atmosphereKoosDined on 6/3/2014We enjoy our dinner and the only comment for not giving a 5 stars for the food was that our entry (asperges) were supposed to be warm but the sauce was cold. For the rest it was excellent !.. and we will continue to visit Delmo for dinner or lunch.Special Features:
- Unforgettably goodNYfoodieDined on 5/31/2014We had reservations to eat here after the Cirque. When we realized how late we would have been, we called to see what could be done. Arrangements were immediately made. We arrived to have the car whisked away by the valet. This was just the beginning of an excellent experience. The oysters were perfect. This restaurant truly deserves its label as a seafood restaurant. Both of our main plats were perfectly prepared. Of important notice is the Dover sole, which is imported from Holland. Presented with meuniere sauce and provencal vegetables, it is the best I have ever had. Desserts were good, but not overwhelming. Outstanding service from everyone with careful attention without being overbearing. Eating here is worth the cost. Dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafooddeandaDined on 5/28/2014first time in montreal and came here based on reviews. Dover sole is incredible. Nice, tight wine list. Higu recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Delmo, Montreal QCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary at Chez Delmo. The food and service were great and the atmosphere was good. As this was a special occasion, we were looking for a more formal restaurant setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.