275, Notre-Dame Ouest
Montreal, QC H2Y 1T8Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.chezdelmo.com/
- Phone: 5142884288
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am- 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm- 10:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Patrick Vandal
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: happy hour on Thursdays
A word from Chez Delmo
Situated in Old Montreal and steps away from the Old Port, this French restaurant established in 1932 makes you feel like you’re at sea savoring the most delicious treasures of the blue waters of the river and ocean. Specializing in fish and seafood, Chez Delmo serves a delicious meal with fresh ingredients. At Chez Delmo, you can choose from a large variety of fish: Dover sole, salmon, cod, sea-bass, halibut, and many more prepared the French way. This means being served in delicious sauces and delicate spices that bring out the fish’s natural flavors without masking them. You may also opt for scallops, shrimp and lobster. Chez Delmo also offers an à la carte dinner and lunch menu. The restaurant's is large and open-aired with a granite bar, the color of which perfectly matches the off-white walls. The mood is very bright thanks to large windows which bathe the high-ceilings of the dining room with light and which offer a beautiful view of the charming Old Montreal atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chez Delmo reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (29)special occasion (27)romantic (23)neighborhood gem (18)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (9)late-night find (6)good for groups (6)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great SeafoodRJSRJSDined on 8/23/2014Was here 8/23/14 and had a wonderful meal. Food was perfect and service was excellent
- Délicieux homard !!!CecilouDined on 8/16/2014Soirée charmante pour mon anniversaire, le personnel extrêmement poli et serviable nous a gentiment conseillé sur notre choix, le plat était exquis. Les cocktails étaient très bons. Nous avons été servis assez rapidement mais pas trop, nous avons eu le temps de boire nos apéritifs tranquillement. La salle est très jolie et calme, la rue est également très agréable. Une belle expérience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!DylonfryonDined on 8/13/2014I brought my girlfriend for her birthday and it was absolutely magnificant! She had the grilled scallops and i decided to go simple with the a classic, fish and chips. I was pleasantly surprised! The beer batter was well seasoned,light and crispy. The fish was was so flaky and moist with a wonderfully robust homemade tartar sauce! 10/10!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exactly what we wantedGerryDined on 8/7/2014Great service, food, and ambiance. Fun place. Delicious food...especially if you love seafood. Will return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish lovers, this is for youXcountrydiningVIPDined on 8/1/2014Excellent fish dish selection, including seasonal options, cooked in varied traditional methods. Amazing staff, happily bilingual (EN/FR) and very attentive. And something you tend not find these days, even in fish dedicated restaurant - fish knives!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceCityview14Dined on 7/26/2014The waitress steered us toward a dish and it was ok, but greatly overpriced for the amount of food that we received. The bartender was very nice and did a nice job. Atmosphere was nice
- Outstanding for a special dinner.JoeZJoeDined on 7/23/2014Delicious chartreuse/scotch/drambuie cocktail. Nice wine list. We enjoyed halibut and chilean sea bass. Everything was perfect but it was quite expensive. We had a fabulous evening! The best meal we had on our 11-day road tour.Special Features:
- Great SeafoodSusa28Dined on 7/15/2014My husband and I were visiting Montreal and decided to give Chez Delmo a try for dinner. I had fantastic halibut and he had a wonderful seafood pasta dish.Special Features:
- One great restaurantManwiththeForkDined on 7/8/2014Perfect in every way. Food superb. Setting impressive. Service great. Neighbourhood magnificent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Fish was fresh and tasty but desert was a big disappointment, certainly not worth 9 $ or so. Wine by the glass is far too expensive. Won't go back. Can get more for my money elsewhere. Overrated.
- Always a treat, always perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014i tried this restaurant a while ago and became somewhat of a regular, if i dare call myself a regular because at Delmo's, you always meet some regulars who have been going there often for a few years. I went back there again on July 2nd, and again on July 5th. Same welcome, same amazing fish. While it's true that on July 2nd (the day after Canada's national holiday) some of the items were missing (boo hoo, it should ALSO be mentioned that they have 30 items + on their menu), they actually had us try 3 different fish on top of our order, to compensate for the missing fish we wanted.(halibut) And so we had our grilled cod and walleye meunierre, both perfect, and then samples of arctic char, salmon hollandaise and chilean sea bass. wow!Special Features:
- Top NotchmjpinvestorDined on 7/4/2014Excellent all around. Food was amazing, service and attention to detail was outstanding. Overall, a very memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNJenkinVIPDined on 7/2/2014Everything I planned to order was unavailable, and the wait staff's timing was off all evening. When we needed something it was a healthy wait and at other times someone was interrupting a conversation to ask if anything was needed. I had heard good things, and my wife enjoyed her meal but given the cost it was a disappointment
- Really nice experienceTeatimedVIPDined on 6/27/2014Both the food and service were great. We left the restaurant full and content. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fish loversYULYYZORDDined on 6/24/2014Calamares and Octopus cook to perfection , not the usual rubbery disches you get in many restaurants.Special Features:
- Amazing food!Pipo252Dined on 6/21/2014The food was absolutely amazing. This is not a cheap restaurant. For 2 people it was 275$ including a bottle of wine. You could tell the servers had no experience but were trying their best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful fine dining.CDMontrealDined on 6/21/2014We choose Chez Delmo from reviews online and it's location in Old Montreal. The food was great, service wonderful, and location was great. Good choice for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!TravelerDined on 6/14/2014This was my second time at this restaurant. I love the food and atmosphere if this place :-) I'll go back at Chez Delmo every time I'm in Montreal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday eveningSheila47Dined on 6/9/2014For a Monday evening,there were quite a few diners there. The art on the walls is fun and the restaurant looks totally upbeat from the old stoggy restaurant that it was. Our Arctic char was vg as was the Chilean seabass. The rice pilar could have been tastier but the veggies were delish. The fish soup didn't need the pieces of fish floating in it. The broth was very good by itself with the croutons, aioli and fresh cheese. My friend loved her clam chowder and the snails smelled devine. Our molten chocolate cake was excellent but small .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous FishOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014My husband and I dined at Chez Delmo on Saturday night. He started with the oysters which were great; my starter was the lobster bisque which was incredible-the best i've ever had. We both ordered the Halibut. We have never tasted better; not even on the shore in Bar Harbor. It was wonderful. We didn't have room for dessert which was disappointing because the dessert menu was lovely. Our server was professional, efficient and pleasant.Special Features:
- Great food, nice atmosphereKoosDined on 6/3/2014We enjoy our dinner and the only comment for not giving a 5 stars for the food was that our entry (asperges) were supposed to be warm but the sauce was cold. For the rest it was excellent !.. and we will continue to visit Delmo for dinner or lunch.Special Features:
- Unforgettably goodNYfoodieDined on 5/31/2014We had reservations to eat here after the Cirque. When we realized how late we would have been, we called to see what could be done. Arrangements were immediately made. We arrived to have the car whisked away by the valet. This was just the beginning of an excellent experience. The oysters were perfect. This restaurant truly deserves its label as a seafood restaurant. Both of our main plats were perfectly prepared. Of important notice is the Dover sole, which is imported from Holland. Presented with meuniere sauce and provencal vegetables, it is the best I have ever had. Desserts were good, but not overwhelming. Outstanding service from everyone with careful attention without being overbearing. Eating here is worth the cost. Dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafooddeandaDined on 5/28/2014first time in montreal and came here based on reviews. Dover sole is incredible. Nice, tight wine list. Higu recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Delmo, Montreal QCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary at Chez Delmo. The food and service were great and the atmosphere was good. As this was a special occasion, we were looking for a more formal restaurant setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WORST EXPERIENCE WE EVER HADDylanDined on 5/20/2014Girlfriend and I picked this restaurant by chance. We walked in with nice table the food was very good. We noticed it was very noisy and the music was a little loud. Service was okay but as soon as we sat down I notice the silver ware was not clean. Anyway we Stay late and we were the only people in the restaurant. The music got longer though was no one in the restaurant except the staff. So I told waitress it's very insulting to turn on music loud to get rid of us. My girlfriend went the washroom and then came back and saw the owner who was drunk in the bar. We spent $300 for the meal and she gave him a piece of her mind. But the owner was drunk and starts telling her he could turn the music loud. WE WILL NEVER GO BACK. OWNER IS A JERK!!Special Features:
- danielVIPDined on 5/20/2014la grande qualité de ce restaurant est qu'il n'y a pas de surprise . On recoit toujours une assiète de qualité.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeBobyokoiVIPDined on 5/15/2014We had a very good dinner at this place, very well prepared and good presentation. The wine was also good ... though a bit pricey .... The service was good but it was excellent at the begining ... when the restaurant got a bit full ... service quality decrease. End of the day it worth a trySpecial Features:
- Amazing place!jefMDined on 5/13/2014We would like to think of ourselves as regulars, but we understand that some regulars actually eat here 3-4 times a week! Still, every time we go, the staff greets us with the same welcome and efficiency. The food is truly great, best fish in town. The place is vibrant with happy people. The bartender (Chris) makes amazing drinks. This time we ate at the bar (the place was full), and even though i prefer a table, it was a nice experience. Both owners came to talk to us, very friendly and attentive. You have to try their dover sole, it's the best i've had anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greattellulaDined on 5/10/2014We were looking for mussels and found them here. Overall, the food was less that I had hoped. Given the price and reviews, I was hoping for something perfect, and this was not. At our table, the sea bass portion was small, the lobster was over cooked and the mussels were average. I am not sure we will return given other options in the city.
- Amazing meals and great staff!achefswifeDined on 4/30/2014Experience from beginning to end was impeccable! Knowledgeable wait staff filled with great suggestions. Only hiccup was the salmon tartar, it was missing the zing at the end of the bite. Great ambience, had a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 254 reviews are from the Chez Delmo reviews archive.
- normandDined on 4/16/2014Il y a très longtemps que je n'étais pas allé Chez Delmo. J'ai retrouvé la même atmosphère et la même qualité générale de nourriture. Un aspect décevant cependant est le peu de choix intéressants à la table d'hôte du midi. Ce qui oblige à choisir à la carte avec une addition salée pour le repas du midi.Special Features:
- Amazing place everytime I go thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/10/2014Food is excellent Service is outstanding Best tartare salmon I ever had I have been going to this restaurant for over 2 yrs now and I have never been disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/10/2014this was not my first time here but it seems this place gets better each time. The fish is fresh and well done and presented simply. The dover sole is the best. We will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJohndocVIPDined on 4/8/2014Prices were high, quality lacking. I had the fish soup which was passable, more fish flavored stick than fish. The Dover sole was good albeit expensive at 51.00 but the accompanying vegetables were reheated and litho ugh supposedly a mixture was mainly green beans. I would not go back. For those prices I would expect more ambience in the restaurant, it felt more like an upscale coffee shop.Special Features:
- Attentive and knowledgeableOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/5/2014Attentive and knowledgeable waiter, and good food,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodwtreaderDined on 3/29/2014Possibly the best scallops that I have ever eaten!!! Looking forward to going there again, next time I'm in Montreal!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2014best fish in town! service impeccable and friendly great wine list at reasonable pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met expectations. Super service(ChagsilesDined on 3/27/2014Met expectations. Super service(Charles) Seafood as good as it gets. Benoit the owner was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very impressed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/19/2014i'll start by saying this is one of the best restaurants i have ever been to, and certainly the best seafood restaurant . I travel a lot and rely on concierge recommendations, and this one came highly praised. I read some of the comments and was not sure what to expect. First impression was good: a nice greeting, a beautiful decor and a good table. Definitely a lot of regulars at this place, everyone seems to know each other! The staff is very efficient and not pretentious, and is very helpful. Always a good sign when the waiters knows where the fish is from, it means the chef is proud of his products! Indeed the arctic char was simply perfect. i think this will be my new favorite restaurant in Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/19/2014As usual, everything was perfect. Nice welcome, friendly and efficient staff, fish cooked to perfection. Tried the arctic char…wow they also have valet for $10, a must in old montrealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.