Chez Boulay bistro boréal
1110 Rue Saint-Jean
Quebec, QC G1R1S4Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Chez Boulay bistro boréal
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezboulay.com/
- Phone: 4183808166
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Comfort Food, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Arnaud Marchand
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Chez Boulay bistro boréal
“Chez Boulay – Bistro boréal’ permits renowned chef Jean Luc Boulay and his partner Arnaud Marchand, to offer a Nordic menu inspired by products from our terroir to a larger public, that is adapted to the different seasons. Moreover, a menu that is healthy, simple and delicious where sous-vide cooking and food presentations in cocottes are prized. Elk, fish from our terroir, elderflower or Labrador tea spice are an integral part of our creative menu. A surprising mix of culinary traditions and international influences come together here. With a bistro spirit and inspired by all that is boreal, everything is aligned to make for a gourmet experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chez Boulay bistro boréal reviews from OpenTable diners
- Nordic gemPhilly66Dined on 7/26/2013Local food with fresh ingredients, and a varied menu. Duck, elk, veal, chicken all prepared and served with care and attention to detail. Friendly, attentive staff accommodated and served our large group without a hitch. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and for the AdventurousAdmiralDined on 7/15/2013Thanks to our waiter, we knew what to try. He was excellent and shared with us his favorites. He also recommended a wine based on what we decided as our entre'. We had appetizer and main courses and then shared a dessert. Portions are just the right size. I had BISON CHEEKS . . . excellent and tender! If you are not adventurous then don't attempt it. We enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Great food !TremlarDined on 7/13/2013This is the bistro restaurant of the famous chef Jean-Luc Boulay, owner of nearby restaurant Le St-Amour. We arrived late around 21:00, so we had only the main dish: bar rayé fish accompanied by game sauce aromatised with lobster oil!!! It was so different and delicious. Although the place is a bit noisy (it's normal for a bistro), you must try this restaurant located in a commercial street of the Québec old city. When I reserved, I mentioned it was the anniversary of my wife, and they offered her a small box of boreal herbal tea. A delicate attention, in line with the goal of the restaurant: cooking using local flavours.
- Absolutely DeliciousWinterdaughterVIPDined on 7/10/2013Just a perfect dinner at a brand new restaurant for us. Greeted warmly at the door, seated quickly and our waitress was so nice. Helped make suggestions and when she had to leave for the night she let us know. Our appetizer of marinated artic char was a great blend of flavor. I had the black cod and my companion had guinea fowl-substiuted for chicken. Both were perfect. For dessert the iced nougat and dark chocolate mousee were a fine end to the meal. And dont forget the Cosmos d'Ici--parfait aussi.Special Features:
- unexpected treasure in Quebec CityOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/7/2013Had a lovely meal here on Sunday night. an anomaly within the tourist centric restaurants of the upper city. had a creative, delicious and subtle special appetizer followed by the black cod. My husband's dinner of bison cheeks was also complex and unique. great choice.Special Features:
- Perfect brunch spotTrudel9Dined on 6/30/2013We went for brunch this past weekend and loved our experience! We've been before but now they also have a few more dishes that are better suited for lunch (not everyone in our group wanted eggs). Our waitresses was very charming and had a cute French accent when speaking in English. We ordered tons of coffees and she was always there to bring us more. I had the tartare of the day (beef tartare with mushrooms and sunflower seeds) and most of the others had the Nordique (with braised beef, poached eggs and onion compote). There was also a buttermilk waffle dish that looked great and a confit duck salad too! Next time if the weather is nice we'll definitely sit on the terrasse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurantItalianoDined on 6/22/2013Good food and nice place. Main course + apertizer + dessert + bottle of wine = 80$ The menu is very interesting, I would like to come back and try other plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Canadiana cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/19/2013Very unique and enjoyable menu. The group enjoyed every dish. Next time I will take the waiters advice and order the boar's cheeks specialty. We tasted it and it was Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locally sourced foodDianePDined on 6/17/2013Unusual combinations, but delicious. Even our picky daughter found something to love.Special Features:
- tasty but slowlunchmonkeyDined on 6/14/2013Enjoyed dinner here on a bustling Friday night in QC. The restaurant was packed which may have led to the kitchen being extremely slow- we only had a main dish and dessert but that took two hours! No fault of the waitress, who was very pleasant and helpful. The food was good and excellent cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original and very interestingFresqueDined on 6/11/2013Original and very interesting menu. Great atmosphere and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/7/2013we dined here this past Friday and loved it. The food was wonderful, truly indicative of Quebec cuisine with each dish incorporating something from the Boreal forest or Quebec province. Our waiter was very friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. Thought it was very reasonably priced for such quality food, atmosphere and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply A-M-A-Z-ING!Looking4goodfoodDined on 6/1/2013My guest and I shared the Demi terre-mer and foie gras as an Appetizer for two ($45). I continued with the special du jour with the grilled seabass in a mushroom broth with vegetables, served in a cast iron skillet (fun & original). My guest had la cocotte de bison. Everything was so tasty. Our wonderful waitress Genevieve managed to find us a bottle of red wine that would be strong enough to go with the mighty bison without drowning my fish... To our surprise an Austrian 2009 Prieler was very good. To end this unbelievable meal, my guest had a tarte pralinee au caramel. I had a trio of macarons on the menu: raspberry, maple and last but not least, Lady Laurier Cheese! Wow! Worth the $200 for 2. Make reservations ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon service et repas excellent.parelDined on 5/29/2013Bon service et repas excellent. Y retournerais sans hésitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service started out a littleSusu199VIPDined on 5/28/2013Service started out a little indifferent and by the end of the meal we just felt neglected, but it is a popular place. I had an incredible mushroom spelt risotto and my husband enjoyed his seafood dish. We weren't impressed with dessert and ended up buying eclairs and macarons at the bakery across the street.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2013I read the reviews about this place and it did not disappoint! We had a fabulous meal from start to finish. Great service (even in English) and a beautifully prepared meal. Loved it and would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nordic and utterly FrenchOut2EatDined on 5/26/2013Chez Boulay Bistro Boréal prides itself on presentation of local commodities in Nordic culinary traditions. The concepts may be Nordic. The ingredients are certainly fresh. The preparation and presentation seem wonderfully French. If occasionally the originality goes over the top (popcorn on my salmon?), everything tastes and looks fabulous. In a city full of interesting restaurants, this one is noteworthy and warmly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative cuisine at its bestMartinVIPDined on 5/20/2013We are very familiar with this restaurant's big brother Le St-Amour, one of Quebec's best table. We were not disappointed with our first visit at Chez Boulay Bistro Boreal. Everything was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Both the food and the drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2013Both the food and the drinks were excellent and the staff was extremely knowledgable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising Hotel Restaurant55AussiesheilaDined on 5/15/2013Usually I avoid restaurants at hotels, but i was tempted by Nordic cuisine which I had not discovered in my home country of Australia. The restaurant was not at all like my expectation. It was not boring standard hotel cuisine in a dated decor. Well presented, delicious cuisine. Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:
- Expérience uniquedufc3701Dined on 5/12/2013Tout étais excellent, j'y retournerai définitivement lors d'une prochaine visite a Québec.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food, Canadian stylemabelscVIPDined on 5/8/2013Billed as comfort food or Nordic cuisine, the food is hearty and different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good meal, nice decor.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/7/2013Very good meal, nice decor. Service not at the level of the quality of this restaurant. The first person who explained the menu was excellent , but we never saw again. The others who served us were just normal and not a lot of experience. At the end, despite that the restaurant was almost empty, I had to steped up to find someone to get the bill. I had to interupt two employees in their personal conversation to ask for the check. I had also to run after again them to pay as they dissapeared as soon as I received the check. Overall excellent menu and food, but improvement needed on the service side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Foodie's Dream in Quebec CitySusanWDined on 5/7/2013This lively little bistro has everything you want to experience in Quebec: Traditional ingredients re-envisioned in innovative ways with excellent results, a great wine list, a pleasing and comfortable interior and a convenient location in the Old City. Expensive, but worth the splurge.Special Features:
- We had the salmon tartare,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2013We had the salmon tartare, which was very good. The buffalo ribs were the chef's inspiration, they were also very good. A nice bistrot, with great food, a great way to start a visit to Québec City.Special Features:
- The service and food wereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013The service and food were fantastic! Best restaurant we visited in Quebec.Special Features:
- Integrating maple into everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2013Attentative waitstaff! Delightful! Innovative menu, combining unlikely flavored for someone from the Pacific Northwest. DON'T skip dessert -- next table ordered creme brûlée with berries & maple sugar after they saw ours... I would have gone back the next night had they had seating.Special Features:
- Le plateau de charcuteriesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2013Le plateau de charcuteries de la mer et le nougat glacé sont de pures merveilles.Special Features:
- Excellente soirée J'auraisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2013Excellente soirée J'aurais aimé un renouvellement du menu Morue encore excellenteSpecial Features:
- Produits d'iciOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/26/2013Toute l'expérience était vibrante. Les saveurs, les accords vins, les lieux. Magnifique et délicieux!Special Features:
- Menu très intéressant avecOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Menu très intéressant avec une belle variété et merveilleusement apprêté. Très bonne ambiance et service impeccable. À conseiller à tous ceux qui veulent sortir un peu des sentiers battus et qui aiment l'originalité dans les platsSpecial Features:
- C'était la 2ème visite pourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013C'était la 2ème visite pour moi et ma blonde et la première pour notre couple d'amis. Réservation en début de soirée, ambiance plus relaxe. Les entrées du jour, le carpaccio et le tartare de bison étaient excellents. Plat principal, macreuse de bison excellent à l'unanimité mais pétoncle et macro ont été servis tiède et les pétoncles avec très peu d'assaisonnement. Dessert bon mais sans plus, crème brûlé sans croûte de sucre caramélisé et crème devenue chaude du à la caramélisation. Bon resto mais léger manque de constance. Ils sont conséquents avec notre première visite.Special Features:
- Had a great time.CarlitoDined on 2/23/2013Awesome restaurant, food was amazing. Had a great time. Will return for sure. :)Special Features:
- Great place! Try the : CarpaccioOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2013Great place! Try the : Carpaccio d’omble de l’arctique mariné au vinaigre de sureau et huile de tournesol biologique, coeur de quenouille, asclépiade, émulsion de racines Amazing!Special Features:
- Quelle belle soirée!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/7/2013Les tartares (bison pour l'un, saumon pour l'autre) en entrée était exquis. En résistance, les pétoncles moelleux et leur maquereau ont su ravir l'un des convives, tandis que l'autre se régalait de ris de veau, croustillant à l'extérieur et tendre à l'intérieur. Les verres de vin suggérés se mariaient bien avec l'ensemble de l'oeuvre. Si ça n'avait été que de ce trop long temps d'attente entre l'entrée et le plat principal, un bon 3/4 d'heure occasionné par l'arrivé d'un groupe parait-il, notre expérience aurait été presqu'un sans faute. Ce qui a sauvé la donne, c'est l'attention portée à notre égard par notre serveur, Simon pour bien le nommer.Special Features:
- J'ai adoré mon expérienceRichrenDined on 1/27/2013J'ai adoré mon expérience . Nourriture superbe le service était un peu lent et il faisait un peu froid près de la fenêtre.Mais le froid extérieur était un peu spécial. Rien pour m'empêcher de retourner!!!Special Features:
- J'ai adoré la saisie de cerfOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2013J'ai adoré la saisie de cerf rouge (entrée) et le maquereau+pétoncles (repas). Le service est très rapide. Ma copine a adoré le tartare de saumon (entrée), mais elle a été très déçue du boudin au chou qui contenait à peu près pas de sang et beaucoup de chou. Il me semble que le menu ou les serveurs auraient dus être plus explicites.Special Features:
- Service was lackluster forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/16/2013Service was lackluster for the price point. Some dishes were solid, others lacked excitement.
- Everything was superb. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2013Everything was superb. The quality of the ingredients was outstanding. The quality of the receipes was breathtaking. Fanstastic evening.Special Features:
- Nice Modern Option In The Old CityjaxsingchefDined on 1/2/2013We went to this restaurant because we passed it on the street. It looked very modern by contrast to the other restaurants in Quebec's old city. The food was very good. The menu had numerous mouth-watering and interesting options. I wanted having three appetizers so I can try different things. All of them are good. We loved the seafood platter -- it was very beautiful plated and delicious. All the food was very well presented and delicious especially the black cod with the beluga lentils was especially well done. The fish was perfectly cooked. The staff was very prompt and helpful. The servers took time to explain all the dishes. And the prices were quite reasonable for the quality of the food and service. We'd highly recommend it.Special Features: