3815 Georgia Ave NW
Washington, DC 20011Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezbilly.com/
- Phone: (202) 506-2080
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday 5:30 - 10:30 p.m.
Sunday Brunch 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Brendan L'Etoile
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The perfect place to host your next event!
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8555620389
A word from Chez Billy
Chez Billy is a neighborhood French bistro in the heart of the Petworth; two blocks north of the Georgia Ave. Metro Station. We are open for dinner at 5:30, Tuesday through Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Chez Billy - Best Restaurants in Petworth ›
Chez Billy reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (78)fit for foodies (60)romantic (46)special occasion (30)vibrant bar scene (23)good for groups (21)hot spot (17)notable wine list (16)late-night find (12)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great BistroLakeviewDinerVIPDined on 11/22/2014Outstanding frites. Exceptional beef bourgignon. Bread was fresh out of the oven. Great service. A real gem in a gentrifying neighborhood. Cabs and uber were plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Surprise in PetworthZiPpDined on 11/22/2014This is a lovely place that has taken full advantage of the space in adjacent buildings creating open areas plus dining nooks and balcony tables. The upstairs with a working wood fireplace was a treat on a cold night. A tartine with mushrooms was quite delicious. The house country pate was OK, but nothing to write home about; and the roasted beet salad was covered with a goat cheese mousse that needed to be kicked up on flavor. The entres were much more pleasing. A boneless trout special had a nicely crisped skin and good accompaniments. Beef bourgagnione made was beef cheeks was excellent, tender and flavorful. A nicely cooked pork chop was well flavored, but the chop was quite lean and though properly cooked, it turned out a bit tough. A tart taitin dessert was in fact a piece of puff pastry with a thin layer of sliced apple and caramelized sugar--tasty, but not what the Taitin sisters had in mind! Overall, a very good meal in nice surroundings, with very good service. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Chez Billy was a great spot for brunch in a neighborhood I wouldn't necessarily be in. For me it was a destination spot and I would definitely go again for lunch or dinner. Food was very good and so was the service! Croissant sandwich and salad was delicious although my husband had the fried chicken sandwich and was not impressed. Very casual and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a bit hard to findNoorevDined on 11/2/2014There was no sign on the exterior of the restaurant. As for the food, tasted great vut sadly was on the cold side. We ordered the sweet potato hash and crab benidict.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/30/2014We were not disappointed this fifth time eating at Chez Billy. Had the braised beef cheek, steak fritte, kids pumpkin soup, kids grilled cheese, and everything was great. Even the bread that came before the meal was perfect.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceWillComeBackDined on 10/26/2014We went for brunch. The brunch menu is limited, but we enjoyed everything we had (we tried three different dishes), and Chez Billy has a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurpriseJustthe2ofUsDined on 10/25/2014CB was recommended by a colleague and we were not disappointed. The service was friendly and the food tasty and well presented. The Confit de Canard was crispy and tender. The Steak Frites was cooked to medium rare as requested and the fries were hot and crispy. We had a bottle of the Lanquedoc which complemented our meal and the Tarte Tatin was melt-in-your mouth good. CB offered French press in lieu of espresso which was fine. It was nice to see a range of patrons from young families to friends, couples and groups. There was adequate on-street parking and it is not far from the GA Ave/Petworth Metro stop. We enjoy quiet low-key dinners just the 2 of us and CB fit the bill. We look forward to dining here again!Special Features:
- Real Neighborhood SpotSteveDined on 10/24/2014It was nice to visit a neighborhood that wasn't perfect. The food was good I recommend the quail but the tuna had way too much dill or rosemary and it overwhelmed the fish. The bar is great service great and we would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dcgirllovedc1Dined on 10/24/2014we did not enjoy chez billy at all. when we reflected in why it was such a terrible experience, we could only blame our waitress and the manager. they treated us terribly because we complained a bottle of wine was corked, and they argued it was not and ruined our evening, which was our anniversary. ultimately, the food was good, but we could only imagine re-visiting the restaurant if we lived in the neighborhood. they are an unsophisticated group of people who can primarily handle a Petworth clientele.
- Brunch off the beaten pathluckyDined on 10/19/2014I went the first weekend Chez Billy started offering Sunday brunch again a couple of months ago and brought my parents in from out of town this weekend. Same consistency in quality and they liked their Crab Cake Benedict so much they tried to go for dinner on Monday night, but alas Billy was closed. Great prices, nice selection, neighborhood coffee from Qualia served and of course you can get your bottomless mimoma or bloody mary fix for $15.Special Features:
- Overall good experienceJasonMVIPDined on 10/17/2014The food was undeniably great--one of the best meals I've had in a while. While most of the service was good, could have used a little more direct attention from our table's designated server.Special Features:
- Great spot, solid food, meh serviceDecoyDined on 10/17/2014Love this restored old building in the Petwork neighborhood - where parking is easy (at least early-ish in the evening), even on a Friday. Nice bar area and excellent house cocktails (esp French 75), though bartender harried and inattentive. The place is very noisy (tin ceilings) but that didn't bother us. Table service also rather haphazard - entrees delivered without any flatware on the table - but the food was good. Good ingredients, well-cooked. The one vegetarian dish a disappointment (some sort of cornmeal dumplings), but should have known better at a French restaurant. On balance, would go back to try it again.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gem, great foodSusieDined on 10/15/2014Our group of 4 had a great meal in a terrific old, renovated space. The beet salad was superb, and we enjoyed everything we had - duck, beef bourguignon, mushroom tartine. The only complaint was that the mussels were tiny. It was almost not worth the effort to pry the little guys from the shells. But we love this place, and have had consistently good meals there. It is truly a neighborhood gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great experiencebrewcitypunkDined on 10/11/2014great drinks and great food and classic jazz = win. Chez Billy can get a little crowded/noisy but that's DC....only issue i had with my meal - beef bourguignon - was that it had clearly sat under the kitchen heat lamps for a little while, maybe waiting for rest of our order to be finished? still really tasty but not quite as fresh as it could have been.Special Features:
- Mid-week DiningDClivingDined on 10/8/2014Our first visit to Chez Billy, will be the first of many. The restaurant was very Metro accessible and once through the front door, it felt like a good fit. The seating was comfortable with low lighting that suited the setting. Our server provided recommendations for the Salade De Betteraves (golden beets) and Foie De Volaille (chicken liver) that were both delightful and surprising with the slightly sweet and savory flavors. These two choices alone will bring us back for another visit. The wine recommendations, Cotes de Rhone (both red and white) were perfectly paired with our starters as well as with the duck confit and quennelles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic French food. Loud Music.RonGVIPDined on 10/4/2014The high quality food and outstanding service made the trip worthwhile. Parking was easier than expected. The decor was really funky. The live music, while good, was much too loud to hold a conversation, even upstairs. Please turn down the amps for your older diners! We look forward to seeing Zachery at the new Georgetown location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!DiscerningDinerVIPDined on 10/2/2014The chefs creative, inspiring and tasty food is a welcome find north of u street! You will love this place!Special Features:
- Busy ThursdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/1/2014The food was delicious but the service was extremely slow. Went there on a Thursday after work so didn't expect it to be so busy with so little staff. The service we did receive was excellent but there appeared to be only one waiter (training another waiter) for the whole room. He did the best he could but it was a long wait between courses. We weren't in a hurry so we relaxed and enjoyed our very leisurely meal but just be prepared if you visit.Special Features:
- Great food, ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014We really enjoyed the food and ambiance at chez billy. It might be my wife's favorite duck confit in town, and drink menu is cool/innovative. However, service could use some work. The bus boys were kind of throwing the plates down on our table, and the waiter wasn't particularly attentive. Will go back for the food and vibe though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is delicious!KatherineVIPDined on 9/18/2014I've had perfect meals in both of my visits to Chez Billy. Everything from the bread to the cocktails (and everything in between) is prepared wonderfully and served by the most pleasant and professional staff. I recommend to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Discovered GemDedeDined on 9/18/2014We were early and it was not crowded or noisy. Nice restrained decor. Not overdone. Foodwise, nothing bad here. Outstanding duck. Very good chicken and steak. The ratatouille, though, was disguised as a dessert, even though the flavors were good. Service was very good. Look forward to trying it again.Special Features:
- Great Food - But still needs polish1whoeatsoutalotVIPDined on 9/16/2014Very cool space with great drinks at the bar, good happy hour specials and oysters. Our dinner server was seemingly always ready to get away from our table, not allowing any opportunity to really relate to him or the menu before running off - and the restaurant was almost empty. The apps and entrees were excellent but unfortunately the potdecream was not available. Nbd. When we ordered coffee, the server said they were out of coffee, in fact they had run out Sunday (dinner was Tuesday.) What??? Are you kidding me? Why wouldn't they have gone to Safeway across the street and bought coffee - which is what we did. We walked to Safeway, bought Starbucks instant coffee, came back to restaurant and enjoyed it with our desert. Really unbelievable.Special Features:
- YumBedaVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is a wonderful restaurant and the only shame is that too many folks in DC overlook this neighborhood. Hoping that changes, but would encourage anyone to make a trip over to Chez Billy. The food, plating, drinks, and pricing are all perfect. We had a party of 6 and it was spacious. Will definitely be back again and again.Special Features:
- Sunday Funday brunchluckyDined on 9/7/2014A group of us sat on the patio for the inaugural Sunday Brunch and couldn't have made it any better. Three of us had the Crab Cake Benedict and we all raved. As did the others with the French Toast, Sweet Potato Hash, burger and omelette. Not a single complaint on the food or the drinks. We all agreed we'll be back to try the dish that we couldn't decide between. Easy to get to on the Green/Yellow and super friendly staff.Special Features:
- VIP2VIPDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful neighborhood feel. Keeps the ambiance of a very old space (which it is). French prevails among all menu choices and our meals were outstanding. My husband loved his slightly spicy lamb sausage and my duck confit was the best I've had anywhere. The large leg was flattened and cooked perfectly with a nice crispy skin. If you go in peach season, do not skip the peach tartine for dessert, fabulous.Special Features:
- Second time still a charmpmrthirdVIPDined on 8/26/2014Enjoyed this place so much the first time, I had to travel into DC to try it again. Happy hour is great with many people at the bar and outside dining. Tonight's special was oysters and mussels. Both were fantastic! And the red house wine was a Bordeaux! Excellent! Love this place and worth coming too!Special Features:
- NeighborhoodGalVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food! Great service! I've never had a bad meal at Chez Billy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Satisfying1oldsrfrVIPDined on 8/21/2014Our fifth visit to Chez Billy. These folks combine the best attributes of a fine dining experience: supreme confidence in their product, and a willingness to please. Can't wait to return!
- AnnaVIPDined on 8/19/2014Every main course should be accompanied by a vegetable; although the food is excellent, I marked it down because I didn't get a vegetable to my steak main course. It only came with fries.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood spotdiner2VIPDined on 8/9/2014We had amazing food and great service. Sat outside on the patio after dinner for more drinks and it was divine!Special Features:
- A DC GemKittenDined on 8/6/2014We really enjoyed the ambience, the food taste and presentation and the professionalism of the staff. The food is not cheap and the portions are small but the quality is great!Special Features:
- Petworh on the SeineOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/3/2014Chez Billy has nice cocktails, good food, and a connection to Petworth from before Petworth was deemed cool. The food at Chez Billy tries hard and has always been very tasty.
- No DewarsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/1/2014Won't likely go back unless they start to carry Dewars scotch......for us Non-Millenials...who spend a lot on food and booze!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/31/2014Our first visit was a great time. Had a drink at the wonderful bar before we sat down to dinner. Dinner was great, the wild mushrooms and pate's were great.Special Features:
- The following 304 reviews are from the Chez Billy reviews archive.
- jab11Dined on 7/26/2014As always, the food and service were excellent. I especially like how, as a frequent diner at Chez Billy's, the menu changes frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opentable cheats on PointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014While I am ticked that open table withholds points if you link to their website from the restaurant's site to book a table (users beware), that in no way reflects on the restaurant. I would like for this policy to be less opaque. Chez Billy made me a wonderful cocktail and fabulous skate. The folks were professional and warm, and even called me back when I called to complain on the opentable issue. Prices are moderate+, but good for the value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal at Chez BillyBloomingdaleVisitorVIPDined on 7/25/2014A group of friends took me to Chez Billy for my birthday - my choice - and the evening was a big hit. The food was terrific, service was spot on for our group of 8 and the price was reasonable. The big hits were the Merguez sausage and the Ratatouille. The steak and fries with my Steak Frites were just right. Our only complaint was that the (Friday night) jazz combo downstairs was very loud (they also seemed quite good), though things did calm down some through the course of the meal. I've been to Chez Billy several times in the past couple of months - I keep going back, hoping they will have their wonderful Tuna Nicoise on the menu again, but will need to keep trying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails and food!PascalDined on 7/22/2014The steaks were excellent and we had very pleasant evening with an excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal!silverpalateVIPDined on 7/19/2014We wanted to try something comfortable yet with upscale food and interested service. Chez Billy fit the bill. Had a great meal and the waiter was great. Helpful, informed and spot on with recommendations. We went for drinks first and they have a happy hour on Saturday nights. They went upstairs for our meal. Really enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:
- Great serviceKnolanVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a great meal but the most notable part of our dinning experience was our the service. This is a true neighborhood gem.Special Features: