3815 Georgia Ave NW
Washington, DC 20011Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chezbilly.com/
- Phone: 2025062080x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday 5:30 - 10:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Brendan L'Etoile
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The perfect place to host your next event!
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8555620389
A word from Chez Billy
Chez Billy is a neighborhood French bistro in the heart of the Petworth; two blocks north of the Georgia Ave. Metro Station. We are open for dinner at 5:30, Tuesday through Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Chez Billy - Best Restaurants in Petworth ›
Chez Billy reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (58)romantic (45)special occasion (43)vibrant bar scene (22)good for groups (19)notable wine list (15)hot spot (12)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (10)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Second time still a charmpmrthirdVIPDined on 8/26/2014Enjoyed this place so much the first time, I had to travel into DC to try it again. Happy hour is great with many people at the bar and outside dining. Tonight's special was oysters and mussels. Both were fantastic! And the red house wine was a Bordeaux! Excellent! Love this place and worth coming too!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food! Great service! I've never had a bad meal at Chez Billy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Satisfying1oldsrfrVIPDined on 8/21/2014Our fifth visit to Chez Billy. These folks combine the best attributes of a fine dining experience: supreme confidence in their product, and a willingness to please. Can't wait to return!
- AnnaVIPDined on 8/19/2014Every main course should be accompanied by a vegetable; although the food is excellent, I marked it down because I didn't get a vegetable to my steak main course. It only came with fries.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood spotdiner2Dined on 8/9/2014We had amazing food and great service. Sat outside on the patio after dinner for more drinks and it was divine!Special Features:
- A DC GemKittenDined on 8/6/2014We really enjoyed the ambience, the food taste and presentation and the professionalism of the staff. The food is not cheap and the portions are small but the quality is great!Special Features:
- Petworh on the SeineOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/3/2014Chez Billy has nice cocktails, good food, and a connection to Petworth from before Petworth was deemed cool. The food at Chez Billy tries hard and has always been very tasty.
- No DewarsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/1/2014Won't likely go back unless they start to carry Dewars scotch......for us Non-Millenials...who spend a lot on food and booze!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Our first visit was a great time. Had a drink at the wonderful bar before we sat down to dinner. Dinner was great, the wild mushrooms and pate's were great.Special Features:
- jab11Dined on 7/26/2014As always, the food and service were excellent. I especially like how, as a frequent diner at Chez Billy's, the menu changes frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opentable cheats on PointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014While I am ticked that open table withholds points if you link to their website from the restaurant's site to book a table (users beware), that in no way reflects on the restaurant. I would like for this policy to be less opaque. Chez Billy made me a wonderful cocktail and fabulous skate. The folks were professional and warm, and even called me back when I called to complain on the opentable issue. Prices are moderate+, but good for the value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great Meal at Chez BillyBloomingdaleVisitorVIPDined on 7/25/2014A group of friends took me to Chez Billy for my birthday - my choice - and the evening was a big hit. The food was terrific, service was spot on for our group of 8 and the price was reasonable. The big hits were the Merguez sausage and the Ratatouille. The steak and fries with my Steak Frites were just right. Our only complaint was that the (Friday night) jazz combo downstairs was very loud (they also seemed quite good), though things did calm down some through the course of the meal. I've been to Chez Billy several times in the past couple of months - I keep going back, hoping they will have their wonderful Tuna Nicoise on the menu again, but will need to keep trying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails and food!PascalDined on 7/22/2014The steaks were excellent and we had very pleasant evening with an excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal!silverpalateVIPDined on 7/19/2014We wanted to try something comfortable yet with upscale food and interested service. Chez Billy fit the bill. Had a great meal and the waiter was great. Helpful, informed and spot on with recommendations. We went for drinks first and they have a happy hour on Saturday nights. They went upstairs for our meal. Really enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:
- Great serviceKnolanVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a great meal but the most notable part of our dinning experience was our the service. This is a true neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Petworth's GemLawrenceofSuburbiaVIPDined on 7/13/2014A wonderful spot in Petworth to find great French inspired cuisine. The Trout special was fabulous as was our Ratatouille. The Steak/Frites was also very well prepared. A friend had recommended this spot and it was a perfect "in-between" for us when we wanted to meet friends who live downtown. Well worth it. The salads, apps and wines by the glass were also very good. We will be back. Server was terrific and knew the menu well. Great recommendations.Special Features:
- France meet PetworthluckyDined on 7/10/2014Chez Billy is a true find and luckily for those of us who are neighbors, it's off the beaten path enough that we can still get a reservation. I've never had a friend say a bad word about their meal and I've been going since it opened. Authentic French cuisine, solid wine and cocktail selection and the most beautiful bar in DC. The ambiance year round suits: fireplace in the winter and a patio the rest of the year. But, a knowledgable and friendly staff is key to completing the experience. It's my Cheers!Special Features:
- In lovediehardfoodieDined on 7/9/2014I had the duck and it was exquisite. Every dish we got was on point, delicious and balanced. Didn't like that our table was right across from the restroom (that is the only downside) otherwise, outstandingSpecial Features:
- Great spot in PetworthdcfoodieDined on 7/3/2014I had the mussels and at first I was a bit disappointed because I was expecting a nice broth fit for sopping but didn't see it. The mussels were piled high in a bucket so I couldn't tell there was any liquid until I was halfway through. But there was a wonderful dijon mustard-infused broth waiting there at the bottom for me. The waiter was very attentive but the bar was very slow preparing our drinks. Not slow enough though to keep me away. I'm definitely going back to this spot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SurprisestcmarylandDined on 6/28/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and experience at Chez Billy's and so exciting to have a destination-worthy restaurant in Petworth. Gazpacho was a savory and creamy delight. Simple and short menu that yielded a number of great dishes among our party. We shared three desserts and enjoyed them as well. "Come as you are" atmosphere is very comfortable and service was excellent with a bit of dry humor mixed in for good measure. The space is gorgeous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food & serviceDowntownDined on 6/28/2014French food the way it should be done. Incredible depth of flavors and sizable portions. Very attentive, knowledgeable staff. Top-notch service to match finely executed food. A rare combination these days at a price point that allows for frequent visits.Special Features:
- A Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/26/2014Chez Billy is a hidden gem in a neighborhood that is starting to make a comeback! Have been here a few times now and have had a great experience each time. Their summer menu includes a golden tomato gazpacho with saffron, mint and feta that was outstanding! Also enjoyed the spicy lamb sausage with roasted tomato puree, eggplant, couscous and apricot. The balance of flavors on the plate and the attractive presentation all add to the experience. I highly recommend Chez Billy for fabulous food at very reasonable prices!Special Features:
- New favorite placepmrthirdVIPDined on 6/24/2014So glad I decided to go to this establishment. I got there early and was concerned since door was locked. Opened at 530PM and was in awe of the place. It is such a great space from beer garden outside to the bar and main dining room! Bartender was extremely personable and made me feel welcomed! Happy hour included $5 drink specials, including a great Bordeaux for red wine! So many great things on the menu that appeared appetizing; I could barely decide. After much debate, I got the Royale with Cheese (burger) named after Pulp Fiction quote. It did NOT disappoint, yum! Can't wait to go back and try the mussels and the tartine aux champignons (sautéed wild mushrooms, grilled country bread, sherry vinegar and duck egg). Can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gemBbfoodDined on 6/10/2014It's a cute little gem for the neighborhood that has a creative ambiance that will make you feel cool. I had the salmon dish that was catch of the day. Bread on table was good but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Nice Meal at Chez BillyBloomingdaleVisitorVIPDined on 6/4/2014I've been to Chez Billy 3 or 4 times with different groups of friends since last fall, as the food is always dependable, and everyone always has a good time. A month ago, I had the special, Tuna Nicoise, and it was terrific. I was hoping it would be on the menu again, but no such luck. We ordered, and the entrees were very slow. In the nearly full dining room, our server was well aware of our tardy entrees, and checked in with us frequently. Fortunately, we were chatting and not particularly aware of how behind schedule they were - but this was also thanks to the server, who was genuinely concerned. He comped us our glasses of wine, which we appreciated, and he was a considerable help in ensuring another pleasant evening.Special Features:
- Memorable mealallane3Dined on 6/4/2014All entrees and appetizers were world class- especially the poisson de jour- seared skate an a bed of asparagus and mushrooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemCheapeatsDined on 5/31/2014I would definitely recommend trying this place out before it gets too popular. The food is excellent and made with care, the service is attentive. I can't wait to come back and try other dishes. The pork shank was out of this world!Special Features:
- Really nice meal in PetWorth!GeisterDined on 5/28/2014Everyone was extremely nice. Zuri was very knowledgable of the menu and had great suggestions. Food was delicious!!
- 4th anniversary treatCtcorrigan29Dined on 5/25/2014My husband I and booked a reservation to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary. We were greeted by a friendly server who brought us complimentary sparkling rose. Service was exactly as u would want for a romantic dinner, perfect pacing of food and waiter interaction. At the conclusion of dinner we were informed we would also be given complimentary desserts. Desserts weren't the highlight of the meal but always nice to have a special treat. Will definitely be back to check out the bar area and bring friends to this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels are OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/22/2014This is the second time I have ordered Mussels while dining at Chez Billy's and both times they were excellent! The portion of the plump mussels and the tangy broth was very satisfying, especially when the broth was sopped up by the fresh, warm bread!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerdinnerdinnerchickendinnerDined on 5/21/2014I made a reservation with OpenTable for Chez Billy for 7:45 on a Wednesday. I was running a bit late and they accommodated nicely after I called in. I also placed a special request for a booth in a quiet area since it was an anniversary dinner. Not only did Chez Billy do that, but they also brought out complimentary champagne for me and my date after the meal! The food was fantastic. My date had the duck confit and I had the beef cheek bourguignon. For appetizer I recommend the bone marrow. Service was a bit slow, but made up for it with great food, atmosphere, and nice servers.Special Features:
- Great service and foodtitoVIPDined on 5/20/2014Enjoyable evening. My friend wanted French.. Near home so we did French.. New location, nice dinner and great service.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2014Once again, Chez Billy comes through like a champ. Mother's Day, a son who had to work late - where to go? CB is a fantastic French-focused neighborhood restaurant and bar. Daine the bar tender is one of the most knowledgeable bar-keeps I've met. And not just about the drinks, but the menu as well. Clearly, when it comes to French food, and the drinks that go with it, Chez Billy has infused the entire staff with incomparable love and zest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for special occasionsNewPetworthResidentsVIPDined on 5/11/2014I want to love you, Chez Billy. We went for both my and my husband's birthday, and had negative experiences both times. Both birthdays were on off nights (Tuesday and Sunday) when there are lots of empty tables, but both times we were seated at the same terrible table by the kitchen door where the servers bump into you. It seems that parties of 2 are generally seated in weird places--the corridor where people walk into the dining room, by the kitchen, etc. During my husband's birthday, they did eventually make a better table by moving us by the wall, but I had to ask 3 times (and be pushy about it). One of the other 2 person tables immediately followed suit. We've learned now not to go there for special occasions.
- First-timersChezBillyDined on 5/3/2014The service was great and the food OUTSTANDING! Sitting at bar after dinner listening to live music was a nice ending to a perfect dinner.Special Features:
- All the Ambience I'm Looking for!HarpiequeenDined on 5/3/2014Really loved this place. It has a great vibe, quality jazz instrumental trio that was not too loud to converse, warm and unpretentious service. Cod fritters, often such a disappointment, were divine. Boudin Noir was a little boring, as was the replacement pate, but everyone loved entrees -- pork shank, beef cheeks, steak frites, and vegetarian. I really liked this place, and will come back and hang at this bar. Love the attitude at this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/1/2014I wasn't sure what to expect from a French restaurant named "Chez Billy", but I have to admit the food was outstanding! For appetizers my friend and I got the pork belly rillettes and the boudin noir. The rillettes was very good and the boudin noir was exceptional. For mains, I got the fish special which happened to be a kind of bouillabaisse with rockfish, calamari and shrimp. Rather than being like a soup, the "bouillabaisse" was a silky saffron sauce and the fish and seafood were cooked to perfection. Again, it was outstanding. My friend got the duck confit which was very good. I was disappointed in the wine selection however--only about 10 bottles to choose from and pretty pricey. However, I'll definitely be back for the food!Special Features:
- The following 276 reviews are from the Chez Billy reviews archive.
- ExcellentCraigDined on 4/30/2014Fantastic French cuisine and very friendly staff! I will definitely be coming back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st timersChuckVIPDined on 4/30/2014We rarely venture out of our neighborhood but glad we did. The beef bourguignon and the Pate were both excellent. Paired with a ChateauNeuf DePape and loved all of it. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chez Billy is fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/25/2014At the urging and strong recommendations from friends, we visited Chez Billy on Friday evening with some apprehension. C'mon, how good and how "French" can a restaurant be with the name Chez Billy? Let me now say that it can be perfect, fantastic, incredible, astounding and VERY French. Just a perfect meal (from the jaw-dropping French Onion soup to the flawless duck and remarkable beef bourguignon). And wonderful service in one of the most welcoming restaruants in all of D.C. This is a great, great restaurant and we will be returning time and time again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.