960 Moraga Road
Lafayette, CA 94549Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chevalierrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9253850793x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Chevalier
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef Chevalier is available for private at-home dinner parties. He will work with you to design the perfect meal and wine pairings for your event.
- Private Party Facilities: Chevalier Restaurant can be booked for private parties. Our interior can accommodate approximately 45 guests. Garden patio is available weather-permitting and can accommodate 65 guests. Chef Chevalier will work with you to custom tailor a menu perfect for your occasion.
- Private Party Contact: Philippe Chevalier 9253850793x
- Special Events: Evénements de Octobre
Cooking Class, Saturday Oct 23rd, 11:30-1:00pm
3-course menu, see website for details
Oct 8 Wed – Oct 11 Sat
Brandade de Morue Niçoise
Salted Atlantic cod brandade, fingerling potato pureé, garlic confit
Oct 15 Wed – Oct 18 Sat
Cassoulet du Chef
A classic stew of giant amarago beans with duck confit, garlic sausage, pork belly and housemade duck sausage
Oct 22 Wed – Oct 25 Sat
Lapin Braisé à la Moutarde
Braised Fresh free range rabbit with Dijon mustard crème sauce, fresh fettuccini
Oct 29 Wed – Nov 1 Sat
L’Assiette Fermiere de Cochon à l’Ancienne
Housemade blood sausage, pig trotter and pork belly confit
A word from Chevalier Restaurant
After serving as Executive Chef for award-winning restaurants in Paris, St. Tropez and San Francisco, Philippe Chevalier comes to the East Bay as Chef/Owner of Chevalier Restaurant. Serving classic French cuisine inspired by the flavors of Provence. Chevalier is a 5-time Michelin Bib Gourmand award-winner, recipient of the Open Table Diner’s Choice Award, Zagat Rated and awarded Best Chef of the East Bay, named one of the Top 10 Best Restaurants of the East Bay by Diablo Magazine and awarded Business of the Year 2012 in Lafayette, CA. Experience Chevalier’s French ambiance for dinner Tuesday through Sunday. 3-Course Prix Fixe menu is available in addition to a la carte specialties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Chevalier Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Lafayette ›
Chevalier Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (62)special occasion (49)neighborhood gem (45)fit for foodies (42)romantic (41)notable wine list (24)good for groups (6)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/19/2014Food was good but was overpriced for what we received. Service was warm and friendly and overall we had a great time. Outdoor dining was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely French RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We have dined at Chevalier twice. Both times were delightful. We were fortunate to be served by Sophie both times. The major seating is outdoors, equipped with overhead heat lams. There is a small indoor dining area as well. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very disappointing experienceculinary2014Dined on 10/12/2014We had high hopes for a pleasant birthday gift, but we were very disappointed. While the service was very good, the dishes we ordered were surprisingly poorly prepared. As seasoned world travelers, we hoped that your pate would reflect the French or International version a bit. But your chef came up with some concoction that was totally foreign to our taste and experience in European cities. What a mess it was! The duck treatment was equally disappointing: the meat was so though that we had to take it home to cut it up so that it would be chewable! We have lost all confidence in your culinary competence, and do not intend to repeat our visit. Dr. and Mrs. Corynen, Lafayette CA.Special Features:
- Love this place!ExcellentDined on 10/10/2014Such a gem in Lafayette. Have been here many times and have never been disappointed. Great French cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A True Find!!Foodie2Dined on 9/24/2014Fabulous food!! If you love French food as much as we do, or even if you are trying it for the first time, you will find that the food is outstanding!! Every dish that we ordered was well executed and well balanced from the appetizers to the dessert. We savored every bite! And the service was spot on. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely for celebrationDoctorFlamingoDined on 9/16/2014Took my good friend here for her birthday. The outdoor dining on a late summer evening was exquisite. We thoroughly enjoyed out evening. The warm goat cheese and pear salad is delicious as is the terrine. Creme brulee to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great wineslashlibVIPDined on 9/14/2014The food was sublime and the wine was good. Our table was 2 couples. I had the french onion soup, which probably had slightly too much cheese, but had great onion flavour. I also had the vol-au-vent + sweetbreads, which was amazing. Others on the table had various other things, which they all rated as excellent. If only it wasn't so far from home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServicesAnthonyDined on 9/13/2014Great outdoor dining..Food was excellent and service was marvelous..nothing negative I could think of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Second VisitKenSVIPDined on 9/13/2014Went to Chevalier when it first opened. We were seated outside and it began to rain. Maybe it was the mad scramble to find cover , but we really couldn't remark favorably on our experience. Fast forward about eight years and everything has changed for the better. The restaurant is nicely decorated and the outdoor seating area is very comfortable, especially on the warm Saturday evening last week.Service was very good and the food was very good, as well. Our problem was that we over-ordered wanting to try as many things on the menu as possible. Open Table doesn't allow enough space to go into details of what we had, so in summary it was pate, squash blossoms, tuna tartar, onion soup, sole, rib eye. Philippe, owner-chef, is a gracious hostSpecial Features:
- Toujours ChevalierkernmdVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food is typically French, the service outstanding, the garden quiet and relaxing.Special Features:
- neighborhood gemLocaldinerDined on 9/7/2014Hidden in a small strip mall off Moraga Road but don't let the locale fool you. The ambiance is Paris and the food definitely classic French. As good as we've had in Paris. A bit pricey but worth it. The ingredients are fresh and high quality and prepared to perfection. Definitely a place for special occasions.Special Features:
- Charming outdoor dinning experienceTreat2eatDined on 9/7/2014Intimate setting , nice service and good food. Full service bar with nice wine list. Fairly expensive so is only occasional speciak event destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousCyn757aDined on 9/6/2014Wow. ..can't believe it has taken me so long to find this amazing restaurant in Lafayette! Definitely deserves all of its accolades. The chef/owner's active presence is apparent in all aspects. I really like the fact that with a solid offering of salads and first courses you can easily dine light if you desire or extend over several course's. All phenomenal with each dishes flavors designed to work with all the pieces on your plate. I frequently customize my orders at restaurants but don't recommend that here, take it "as prepared" to not miss out on the genius of the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulyBABYDined on 9/6/2014We had a great evening. The food and service were excellent. We were surprised that the restaurant staff did not pick up on two couples celebrating their 50th anniversaries at their restaurant. I included this in my reservations.Special Features:
- Great with caveatsATravelerDined on 9/6/2014The food was superb. Service was not quite as attentive as their prices would suggest. Their bar was not accurately represented on either their web site nor menu. Even so, we have already talked about hosting our office Christmas party there.Special Features:
- truly a gemlovefoodDined on 8/31/2014if you love french food, you'll love le chevalier. we went for my sister's birthday and enjoyed every bite! the waitstaff were wonderful recommending wine to go with our yummy risotto. we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary treat in LafayetteNewAlbionOmnivoreDined on 8/23/2014This was our sixth time at Chevalier. We were seated in the patio as we requested. The weather was cool but the space heaters made it comfortable. My wife and I shared an excellent green salad and a plate of well-made escargot. My wife had a very tender and perfectly cooked flatiron steak with a glass of Bordeaux. I had an equally well cooked lamb sirloin with a glass of Cahors. The wine list is extensive and well chosen but there are relatively few wines by the glass. Those that are available by the glass are excellent. We shared a delicious creme brûlée for desert. Prices are more like the City than the suburbs: high but not outrageous. Service was very good and not obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jimHVIPDined on 8/23/2014Another outstanding dining experience , that's why we always come back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's all the fuss?SweetBTVIPDined on 8/23/2014All our Lamorinda friends told us this would be a great place to eat and really good French food. While some things were good such as the escargots and pate, most of the food was pretty lackluster, including the raw and tough duck (and this from someone who really likes rare meat), and the underseared scallops. Wine was also served at too warm a temperature. Overall, incredibly disappointing, especially for the high prices. If you want French, go to San Francisco and stay out of the burbs.
- Just OkayTableTimeDined on 8/16/2014We've dined at Chevalier Restaurant before and had a better meal . . . they must have had an off night. They ran out of the special and we had an early reservation. Duck was underdone and the steak was tough - or the knife was dull, maybe both. Not sure if we'll go back. There's plenty of expensive restaurants in the area that serve an exceptional meal.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceTomLDined on 8/9/2014The staff and food fantastic great experience France imported with the touch of warm and friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small portions/large pricesTrueCriticDined on 8/9/2014The staff were friendly and the ambiance great. The portions were small for the price, and they forgot to give us the French fries with out mussels. The sea bass was $32 and was a surprisingly very small portion! Dessert was also very dainty for $12. We probably won't go there again.Special Features:
- Brilliant Summertime DinnerSmorgerVIPDined on 8/8/2014On a warm summer evening, nothing quite is as enjoyable is great food served outside. Chevalier's patio and food fit that bill nicely. We've been there multiple times and it has always been great. Well worth a try!Special Features:
- civengrVIPDined on 8/6/2014The experience was outstanding as usual. Service was a bit slower than normal, but probably due to an almost full house.Special Features:
- Pretty goodenterprize6Dined on 8/6/2014We enjoyed everything. The onion soup and the mushroom soup were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PixieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Very consistant. Love the outdoor patio in the summer. Less noisy.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerfoodie16Dined on 7/31/2014Delicious French dinner in lovely landscaped outdoor setting. Servers were very attentive. Delicious duck and sea bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lafayette French2RetiredFoodiesDined on 7/25/2014Although located in a strip mall in downtown Lafayette, this restaurant offers high quality French cooking in a nice, homey atmosphere. It is an unusually good, special occasion option in suburbia. Parking can be tight on site, so be prepared to walk a few blocks. Prices are a bit high, but what the heck, it's a special occasion restaurant. The restaurant offers a well designed indoor dining option as well as a good size outdoor patio. Enjoy!!Special Features:
- DeliciousYummersDined on 7/22/2014Warm, friendly service and amazing food. The outdoor patio is charming with lights and a little garden. The prices are very good for the quality of the food and the portions are larger than I expected. A great didning experience - I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- painfully slowDinerDined on 7/15/2014nice atmosphere but The service was too slow. Servers nice but took us more than an hour to get main dish after appetizer. It was 6:30 on a weeknight with only two other table seated. Didn't know why it took so long. Food good but overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely perfectGlenalpineDined on 7/11/2014It was our 55th Anniversary. Food was wonderful and Sophie was the perfect French waitress. One suggestion would be to offer guests a glass of Prosecco on a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic French CuisineCRDiRVIPDined on 7/9/2014I just got back from a trip to France. Dining close to home at Chevalier made it seem like I was still eating in Paris. The restaurant is tucked away in the corner of a commercial building on Moraga Road, but has a lovely, large patio for dining, complete with gas heaters when the evening gets chilly. The indoor dining room is charming and cozy. The food is delicious, authentic French cuisine. I had succulent, beautifully prepared mussels for my meal. Others in our party had kobe filets with bordelaise sauce and braised sweetbreads. We all practically licked our plates. Much bread was consumed in order to sop up every drop of the delicious sauces. Extensive, mostly French, wine list. Service was a bit slow, but competent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way Too ExpensivePotPieDined on 7/3/2014The charge was $193 including a 15% tip for two persons celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. That included for each of us: 1 soup or salad, one hors d'oeuvre, one entree and one desert. Our only drink was one coffee. That's too expensive. My wife was not able to eat the wild mushroom flambé because it was bitter. She sent it back, but it remained on the bill. The onion soup was very tasty and the crème brû·lée was top notch. Otherwise, the dishes were unremarkable. Most surprising was that it took over 3 hours to have dinner and we waited quite a while between courses. We did not get anything except water, not even bread, for the first 40 minutes and the restaurant was not busy at all. We would not return.
- Less than expectedbigkahina2wipedoutVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had greatly looked forward to eating here again. We had a great table on the patio. The service was also very good & personable. Our goat cheese salad was outstanding. However, the entrees did not live up to the salad. The duck was requested medium but arrived rare, & the orange sauce was average at best. The rabbit was overcooked & the sauce average. Our server did not tell us to order the Grand Marnier souffle when our order was initially taken. We tried the chocolate souffle which was good but not great. Overpriced, given all the above.Special Features:
- The following 908 reviews are from the Chevalier Restaurant reviews archive.
- FANTASTICProfessionalCookDined on 6/22/2014We enjoyed everything immensly. We were celebrating two birthdays and enjoyed being out with family. It was so nice, we were there for four hours! Eating, relaxing and soaking it all in. Had it been busier, we would have moved along but everyone made us feel special! The food was so good, I had to refrain from licking the plates! Wonderful. Service was attentive but not pushy. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Terrific Prix FixeidellaDined on 6/21/2014Dining in this lovely setting would make any meal good! The choices on the prix fixe are perfect and the serving just right. There are families with little ones welcome, but that doesn't detract from the romantic atmosphere; it makes it more "real."Special Features:
- NicknameDined on 6/14/2014This restaurant was a disappointment. The food was good for a run of the mill restaurant, but not for an upscale one. Nothing that was served would compel us to return. We dined the following evening at another French restaurant in San Francisco, Garcon, the food was far superior at half the price. We have tried to find a good restaurant in the East Bay, which is much closer to our home, but have not yet been successful. Apparently, for good food, San Francisco is the only destination.
- Disappointed with a Past FavoriteDisgruntledDinerDined on 6/7/2014This is not the first time we have had a poor meal at Chevalier. It took us a long while to return, but it had been good, until this past visit. Food was very uneven in quality. Frisee salad was terrible, salty harsh tasting, with strangely enough, more pancetta than frisee on the plate. Ordered scallops for a main course-the scallops were good, but the portion was tiny, just four($35) quite small scallops on a bed of peas, no truffles in sight. Our waitress had recommended these compared to a few other choices. In summary a very mediocre meal, not worth the price. Since we have had some excellent meals here, I do hope that the chef will investigate what is going on in the restaurant, since the food here can really be quite good
- DeliciousdinerDined on 5/25/2014The food was outstanding. One person had the salmon special and said it was perfectly cooked. Another person had the beef filet and ate every drop. Two people had the halibut with morel mushrooms and both of them thought the fish was extremely fresh and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion dinnerJessyDined on 5/24/2014I love to get duck at french restaurants so I really wanted to try the one at Chevalier. It sounded really good on the menu and it turned out to be great. It had wonderful flavors and the meat was really tender and melted in your mouth. I came here with a party of 6 for my grad dinner and they were great at catering to our group. I am allergic to dairy and I told the waitress and she made sure to let me know if there was dairy in anything i was thinking or ordering. It was a great experience. Most of the seating looked like it was outside so I recommend going on a warm summer day to enjoy the patio!Special Features: