960 Moraga Road
Lafayette, CA 94549Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chevalierrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9253850793x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday, 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Chevalier
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Chef Chevalier is available for private at-home dinner parties. He will work with you to design the perfect meal and wine pairings for your event.
- Private Party Facilities: Chevalier Restaurant can be booked for private parties. Our interior can accommodate approximately 45 guests. Our heated enclosed patio can accommodate 60-80 depending upon party type. Chef Chevalier will work with you to custom tailor a menu perfect for your occasion.
- Private Party Contact: Philippe Chevalier 9253850793x
- Special Events: Evénements de Aout
Cooking Class, Saturday August 23rd, 11:30-1:00pm
3-course menu, see website for details
Aug 6 Wed - Aug 9 Sat
Cuisses de Grenouilles Sautées à la Provençale
Fresh Florida frog legs, sautéed Provençale
Aug 13 Wed
Chevalier’s 6th Anniversary Celebration
Cochon à la Broche dans le Jardin
Suckling pig, spit-roasted in the garden
Aug 20 Wed – Aug 23 Sat
Noix L’Agneau, Sauce à l’Estragon
Colorado lamb top sirloin, corona beans ragoût
Aug 27 Wed – Aug 30 Sat
Tartar du Thon Rouge
Ahi tuna tartar, goat cheese, fresh farm quail egg, mixed organic salad & crouton
A word from Chevalier Restaurant
After serving as Executive Chef for award-winning restaurants in Paris, St. Tropez and San Francisco, Philippe Chevalier comes to the East Bay as Chef/Owner of Chevalier Restaurant. Serving classic French cuisine inspired by the flavors of Provence. Chevalier is a 5-time Michelin Bib Gourmand award-winner, recipient of the Open Table Diner’s Choice Award, Zagat Rated and awarded Best Chef of the East Bay, named one of the Top 10 Best Restaurants of the East Bay by Diablo Magazine and awarded Business of the Year 2012 in Lafayette, CA. Experience Chevalier’s French ambiance for dinner Tuesday through Sunday. 3-Course Prix Fixe menu is available in addition to a la carte specialties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Chevalier Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Lafayette ›
Chevalier Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (69)special occasion (54)neighborhood gem (51)romantic (48)fit for foodies (43)notable wine list (29)good for groups (9)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Culinary treat in LafayetteNewAlbionOmnivoreDined on 8/23/2014This was our sixth time at Chevalier. We were seated in the patio as we requested. The weather was cool but the space heaters made it comfortable. My wife and I shared an excellent green salad and a plate of well-made escargot. My wife had a very tender and perfectly cooked flatiron steak with a glass of Bordeaux. I had an equally well cooked lamb sirloin with a glass of Cahors. The wine list is extensive and well chosen but there are relatively few wines by the glass. Those that are available by the glass are excellent. We shared a delicious creme brûlée for desert. Prices are more like the City than the suburbs: high but not outrageous. Service was very good and not obtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jimHVIPDined on 8/23/2014Another outstanding dining experience , that's why we always come back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's all the fuss?SweetBTVIPDined on 8/23/2014All our Lamorinda friends told us this would be a great place to eat and really good French food. While some things were good such as the escargots and pate, most of the food was pretty lackluster, including the raw and tough duck (and this from someone who really likes rare meat), and the underseared scallops. Wine was also served at too warm a temperature. Overall, incredibly disappointing, especially for the high prices. If you want French, go to San Francisco and stay out of the burbs.
- Just OkayTableTimeDined on 8/16/2014We've dined at Chevalier Restaurant before and had a better meal . . . they must have had an off night. They ran out of the special and we had an early reservation. Duck was underdone and the steak was tough - or the knife was dull, maybe both. Not sure if we'll go back. There's plenty of expensive restaurants in the area that serve an exceptional meal.Special Features:
- wonderful experienceTomLDined on 8/9/2014The staff and food fantastic great experience France imported with the touch of warm and friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small portions/large pricesTrueCriticDined on 8/9/2014The staff were friendly and the ambiance great. The portions were small for the price, and they forgot to give us the French fries with out mussels. The sea bass was $32 and was a surprisingly very small portion! Dessert was also very dainty for $12. We probably won't go there again.Special Features:
- Brilliant Summertime DinnerSmorgerVIPDined on 8/8/2014On a warm summer evening, nothing quite is as enjoyable is great food served outside. Chevalier's patio and food fit that bill nicely. We've been there multiple times and it has always been great. Well worth a try!Special Features:
- civengrVIPDined on 8/6/2014The experience was outstanding as usual. Service was a bit slower than normal, but probably due to an almost full house.Special Features:
- Pretty goodenterprize6Dined on 8/6/2014We enjoyed everything. The onion soup and the mushroom soup were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PixieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Very consistant. Love the outdoor patio in the summer. Less noisy.Special Features:
- Romantic dinnerfoodie16Dined on 7/31/2014Delicious French dinner in lovely landscaped outdoor setting. Servers were very attentive. Delicious duck and sea bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lafayette French2RetiredFoodiesDined on 7/25/2014Although located in a strip mall in downtown Lafayette, this restaurant offers high quality French cooking in a nice, homey atmosphere. It is an unusually good, special occasion option in suburbia. Parking can be tight on site, so be prepared to walk a few blocks. Prices are a bit high, but what the heck, it's a special occasion restaurant. The restaurant offers a well designed indoor dining option as well as a good size outdoor patio. Enjoy!!Special Features:
- DeliciousYummersDined on 7/22/2014Warm, friendly service and amazing food. The outdoor patio is charming with lights and a little garden. The prices are very good for the quality of the food and the portions are larger than I expected. A great didning experience - I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- painfully slowDinerDined on 7/15/2014nice atmosphere but The service was too slow. Servers nice but took us more than an hour to get main dish after appetizer. It was 6:30 on a weeknight with only two other table seated. Didn't know why it took so long. Food good but overpricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely perfectGlenalpineDined on 7/11/2014It was our 55th Anniversary. Food was wonderful and Sophie was the perfect French waitress. One suggestion would be to offer guests a glass of Prosecco on a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic French CuisineCRDiRVIPDined on 7/9/2014I just got back from a trip to France. Dining close to home at Chevalier made it seem like I was still eating in Paris. The restaurant is tucked away in the corner of a commercial building on Moraga Road, but has a lovely, large patio for dining, complete with gas heaters when the evening gets chilly. The indoor dining room is charming and cozy. The food is delicious, authentic French cuisine. I had succulent, beautifully prepared mussels for my meal. Others in our party had kobe filets with bordelaise sauce and braised sweetbreads. We all practically licked our plates. Much bread was consumed in order to sop up every drop of the delicious sauces. Extensive, mostly French, wine list. Service was a bit slow, but competent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way Too ExpensivePotPieDined on 7/3/2014The charge was $193 including a 15% tip for two persons celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. That included for each of us: 1 soup or salad, one hors d'oeuvre, one entree and one desert. Our only drink was one coffee. That's too expensive. My wife was not able to eat the wild mushroom flambé because it was bitter. She sent it back, but it remained on the bill. The onion soup was very tasty and the crème brû·lée was top notch. Otherwise, the dishes were unremarkable. Most surprising was that it took over 3 hours to have dinner and we waited quite a while between courses. We did not get anything except water, not even bread, for the first 40 minutes and the restaurant was not busy at all. We would not return.
- Less than expectedbigkahina2wipedoutVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had greatly looked forward to eating here again. We had a great table on the patio. The service was also very good & personable. Our goat cheese salad was outstanding. However, the entrees did not live up to the salad. The duck was requested medium but arrived rare, & the orange sauce was average at best. The rabbit was overcooked & the sauce average. Our server did not tell us to order the Grand Marnier souffle when our order was initially taken. We tried the chocolate souffle which was good but not great. Overpriced, given all the above.Special Features:
- FANTASTICProfessionalCookDined on 6/22/2014We enjoyed everything immensly. We were celebrating two birthdays and enjoyed being out with family. It was so nice, we were there for four hours! Eating, relaxing and soaking it all in. Had it been busier, we would have moved along but everyone made us feel special! The food was so good, I had to refrain from licking the plates! Wonderful. Service was attentive but not pushy. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Terrific Prix FixeidellaDined on 6/21/2014Dining in this lovely setting would make any meal good! The choices on the prix fixe are perfect and the serving just right. There are families with little ones welcome, but that doesn't detract from the romantic atmosphere; it makes it more "real."Special Features:
- NicknameDined on 6/14/2014This restaurant was a disappointment. The food was good for a run of the mill restaurant, but not for an upscale one. Nothing that was served would compel us to return. We dined the following evening at another French restaurant in San Francisco, Garcon, the food was far superior at half the price. We have tried to find a good restaurant in the East Bay, which is much closer to our home, but have not yet been successful. Apparently, for good food, San Francisco is the only destination.
- Disappointed with a Past FavoriteDisgruntledDinerDined on 6/7/2014This is not the first time we have had a poor meal at Chevalier. It took us a long while to return, but it had been good, until this past visit. Food was very uneven in quality. Frisee salad was terrible, salty harsh tasting, with strangely enough, more pancetta than frisee on the plate. Ordered scallops for a main course-the scallops were good, but the portion was tiny, just four($35) quite small scallops on a bed of peas, no truffles in sight. Our waitress had recommended these compared to a few other choices. In summary a very mediocre meal, not worth the price. Since we have had some excellent meals here, I do hope that the chef will investigate what is going on in the restaurant, since the food here can really be quite good
- DeliciousdinerDined on 5/25/2014The food was outstanding. One person had the salmon special and said it was perfectly cooked. Another person had the beef filet and ate every drop. Two people had the halibut with morel mushrooms and both of them thought the fish was extremely fresh and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion dinnerJessyDined on 5/24/2014I love to get duck at french restaurants so I really wanted to try the one at Chevalier. It sounded really good on the menu and it turned out to be great. It had wonderful flavors and the meat was really tender and melted in your mouth. I came here with a party of 6 for my grad dinner and they were great at catering to our group. I am allergic to dairy and I told the waitress and she made sure to let me know if there was dairy in anything i was thinking or ordering. It was a great experience. Most of the seating looked like it was outside so I recommend going on a warm summer day to enjoy the patio!Special Features:
- Superb French FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014Chevalier is truly an authentic French bistro. The dishes are expertly crafted and include classic French favorites (mussels and fries, steak tartare, escargot) but also some California favorites with a delightful French twist (delicious salmon, wonderful chicken). The inside dining area is intimate and cozy. The outside dining is delightful, especially on a spring or summer evening. The service is attentive and the cocktails are delicious. I have been to Chevalier countless times and I have never had a disappointing meal or a less than stellar overall experience. The chef varies the menu often and usually has some interesting specials (wild boar stew over linguine) so even frequent patrons never tire of the cuisine. Fantastic!Special Features:
- Oddly off nightlafayetteDinerVIPDined on 5/17/2014We love Chevalier but this night I must say things were not up to normal high standards. The first course and the desert were good but the service was rather un-smooth in a over-trying way. Even more astonishing was that not all the food was up to its usual top standards. My wife's duck came out very nicely but my Bavette did not. For some reason it was without flavor and one of the pieces had the membrane still attached which made it impossible to cut with the dull knife they gave me, much less eat. This is our favorite restaurant in Lafayette so I hope this was just an off night. I did notice that the chef did not come out later in the evening like he usually does; so perhaps the kitchen was left unattended.
- Very rich!ObujuwamiDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I went for our anniversary, and although we had been here before, our experience was better than we expected. The food was fantastic, rich, and overall worth the price we paid...especially the Kobe filet mignon! My only complaints are there is a real lack of diversity in the patrons and the tables are rather close. If you can get past that, this place is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding as alwaysmoragamunchersVIPDined on 5/11/2014Another memorable meal at this highly acclaimed restaurant. Went for Mother's Day brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most disappointing for everything!Ires2014Dined on 5/10/2014Chevalier is a false French food restaurant. Went there for Mother's day. Mousse duck & Terrine were not tasty and worse than the cheapest one you can buy in a supermarket in France for <$5/250gr, Very dry! Vol au Vent don't look like the same dish in France; incl. white bechamel sauce, mushrooms, quenelles, riz de veau in a deep pastry. It was in a red sauce. Creme brûlée was OK but, Ile flottante was flavorless with too custard sugary! Location and ambiance very poor: dead corner of a local shopping mall area; not attractive, no privacy, tiny dinning room - tables too close to each other, very noisy! Service was not at 50% level when you pay $220 /2 pers. Many reviews reported by customers who don't know what is "elaborated" French food.Special Features:
- Quality of FoodforeverfoodieVIPDined on 5/10/2014We have been to this restaurant numerous times and being very satisfied with our meals, we wanted to be back for the duck special the evening before Mothers Day. The dish was described as being similar to Beef Wellington (BW), so I expected a whole breast of duck prepared the BW way. The pastry was attractive and tasty but inside were overcooked shredded duck pieces which were bland. My husband had the sweetbreads en croute which were juicy and tasty when I had the same dish here previously; this time, it was overcooked and again, bland. The place was crowded so that may have overwhelmed the kitchen staff, but we didn't find that as an acceptable reason considering the price tags of these dishes. My beet salad was excellent though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disapointed....BoomerVIPDined on 5/10/2014I have been to Chevalier many times. We went on a Saturday night and it was packed. We could not move our chairs at all and people behind us kept bumping into us. The noise level was too high to hear. Because of the crowd, the server had to prepare the steak tartare at the table instead of on a tray, an elbow to my dining companions face was our prize. She dropped some of the bread to the tartare and said she would bring more, never happened...We asked for salt 4 times before we received it. The food was ok but not exceptional. The bill came to almost $200 per person... I want exceptional for that.... I will try again (midweek) but it will be a while... Also, our favorite waiter, Nick, is gone.... will miss him.Special Features:
- Another Perfect Dinner!SylviaSezDined on 5/6/2014This was my second experience at Chevalier and I was as pleased as the first time. We had a family dinner to celebrate our daughter's 10th year of running her own business. Wait staff and the chef did everything they could to make this affair a memorable one. I had the duck, she had the special salmon and my husband had the scallops. All presented beautifully and delicious! We started with the incredible mussels and everything was perfection. Lest I forget: the pommes frites were the best I have ever enjoyed. The wine, recommended by our waiter, was a delight and a surprise as I am not knowledgable about French wines at all and trusted her to point us in the right direction. Chevalier is THE right place for a special night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional dining experienceJeffDined on 5/6/2014Outstanding dining - service, presentation, taste of everything, sauces, et al. A truly memorable experience for that special occasion. Wine list is superb. A go-to place when you need to refresh your tastes with a class act. My wife and I have been in five other countries in the past six months, both in Asia and Europe, and had many fine dining experiences -- of the dozens we have had, this would make my top three. (The other two were in Italy.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DB12Dined on 5/3/2014Great service from the moment we walked in the door. Excellent food.Special Features:
- Great local restaurantleonDined on 5/1/2014You wouldn't think it to look at it - tucked away next door to the sushi place off Moraga way - but Chevalier is a top quality french restaurant - prices may be a little punchy but the food's great, well executed and we eat there far more frequently than we probably should. The food is relatively unfussy french classics and the wine list has some gems (maturish bordeaux can be decent value) - the owner is a gent and all together the package is great. Only downside is we've stopped exploring other restaurants in Lafayette because we keep coming back… The outside dining can be a little fresh in winter but just now it's perfect.Special Features:
- The following 890 reviews are from the Chevalier Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great TastesCindyDined on 4/25/2014Excellent food with wonderful sauces. The mushroom soup was fantastic. Their creme brûlée was so goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Outstanding DinnerjimHVIPDined on 4/20/2014We keep going back and never regret it . We now spend 1-2 nights a week in SF and enjoy dining around and we are convinced that Chevalier is the only restaurant in the East Bay (East of the tunnel) that gives the top SF restaurants a run for the money . We have dined here many times (1-2X per month for the last year and a half or more) and are always amazed at the quality of the food , the incredible service and the overall extraordinary dining experience . We are so lucky to have this in our backyard , it is truly the Gem of the East Bay in our opinion .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FINE FRENCH FOODNotaditzVIPDined on 4/18/2014We've been to this place before; if you want good French food, and possibly to try out your high school French with the server, this is the place for you. The food it fantastic, service is great, and wine selection very good for a small place. The restaurant is on the tiny side, but there's a beautiful outdoor patio, with heat lamps that work!! From appetizers to dessert, this place is great, and we always bring out of towners here to 'impress' them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/10/2014This was our second visit. We have finally found a restaurant that knows how to serve good French food at a reserved European pace. Well done! Nice wine list. Attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is on the pricey end. NonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/10/2014It is on the pricey end. Non service dogs should not be allowed in the restaurant.Special Features: