48 Biltmore Ave
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chestnutasheville.com/
- Phone: 8285752667
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30 am - 9 pm
Friday - Saturday 11:30 am - 10 pm
Sunday 9 am - 9 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chestnut
Chestnut is an American restaurant. We are in a 1920s era building in downtown Asheville, right across for the Aloft hotel and the double decker coffee bus (Double D's Coffee and Desserts). Parking is plentiful (and cheap) at the public deck under the Aloft Hotel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chestnut - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Chestnut reviews from OpenTable diners
335 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (244)special occasion (154)neighborhood gem (123)romantic (92)great for lunch (86)good for groups (76)great for brunch (61)notable wine list (56)hot spot (53)vibrant bar scene (39)kid-friendly (18)late-night find (17)scenic view (2)Show More
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2014I cannot believe I waited so long to try Chestnut! A new favorite in Asheville. Delicious food with fair prices. We left full and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We were a party of 6 and each of us thought the food was amazing ! And we have some "picky" people in our group ! Patric was a terrific server, and put up with our fun group. We LOVED the lobster bisque !Special Features:
- Always pleasedBennDined on 9/26/2014We have eaten here several times and alsays had great results.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationFoodieGirlDined on 9/26/2014This is second year in a row that I met a group of friends here for my birthday. Always good food, excellent service and great spot to start your evening!Special Features:
- lovesfoodVIPDined on 9/26/2014kale and calamari salad is perfection! The best salad anywhere!!!!Special Features:
- Another Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We've eaten at Chestnut a number of times and the food is always great, along with really good service. One of our favorites when visiting Asheville.Special Features:
- Better the second time aroundDougDined on 9/23/2014I previously visited about 2 years ago. I felt like the food was glorified chain fare. The decor is still a bit drab for me, but the food has since improved dramatically. There is still room for improvement, but they are moving in the right direction I think. At this point I could recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- WowBrianVIPDined on 9/23/2014Chestnut combines delicious Southern food, a upscale atmosphere, fair prices and superior service to create a superb dining experience. Newton, the manager, checks tables making sure everything is perfect! The owners, Joe and Kevin, are just as attentive. Will return real soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful way to end our vacationNJ28Dined on 9/22/2014Everything was delicious - from the "amuse bouche" (one-bite appetizer) to the dessert! Husband had rainbow trout and I had the petit filet mignon. Must have the Chestnut Seasonal Salad with heirloom tomatoes, freshly made mozzarella, arugula and balsamic viniagrette - yummy!! Our server, Jamie, was very attentive, but not hovering. She just seemed to know what we might be needing and would appear with it at the right moment. We were celebrating our 24th Anniversary that evening and when she found out, she went and told the manager who told her to take the desserts off our bill. Manager came over and spoke with us as well. What a wonderful way to end our vacation!Special Features:
- DixiebelleDined on 9/20/2014Chestnut is one of my favorite restaurants in Asheville. Food portions are just right for me. Presentation is great . Service is friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- predictably deliciousLeonardDined on 9/19/2014I seem to gravitate to Chestnut when friends come to town for a visit. It is a charming spot and the food is predictably delicious. The service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousRobinYogiDined on 9/19/2014Delicious food, especially the amazing peanut butter pie dessert. Nice selection of local craft beers, too.Special Features:
- half deliciousSAV53Dined on 9/19/2014My dinner of heirloom tomato salad and tilefish with a spicy Asian slaw was fantastic. My husband, on the other hand, received a tasty lobster bisque but the sirloin steak he ordered cooked medium arrived barely warm. He never returns food but this was inedible so he asked the server to heat it up for him and it came back gray and unappealing. It had apparently spent quite a bit of time in a microwave rather than being returned to the grill. He was unable to eat it and our server seemed entirely unconcerned with his discomfort.Special Features:
- Just loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014All my friends had been raving about it and now I know why! Great atmosphere. Quiet enough to be able to carry on conversation. Great service and food. Could not ask for more from a busy restaurant. Will certainly return often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They do not say "NO"GreatfineDined on 9/18/2014Wife and I spending out 15 year anniversary in Asheville and stumble across this place as we ran by earlier in the day. Looked it up on Open Table and nothing but really good reviews. Fantastic dinner to include filet, strip, butternut soup, bread pudding, great beer selection. We had a couple requests not on the menu and the said "YES" without even asking. Great restaurant and great service by Pete.Special Features:
- One of the Best in AshevilleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014Weight staff is always friendly. The four in our party ordered the special which they had run out of. Our second choices for a main entre were all very well prepared and very tasty. Our waiter was excellent, very attentive.Special Features:
- Wonderful spot!BigsisDined on 9/17/2014My sister and I went here while on our annual girls trip to Asheville. I just can't say enought about the food and the service. I know you here are many great places to dine in Asheville but Chestnut should be tops on anyone's list😃Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable bar settingBillDined on 9/17/2014One of the better restaurants in Asheville. This was our 5th visit. If you do not have a reservation, have dinner at the bar. Les (bartender) will take good care of you..I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestnut lived up to reviewsVanweezerVIPDined on 9/14/2014Never having been in Ashveilli before, my husband and I turned to Open Table and Trip Advisor to find a restaurant for our first dinner out. We were thrilled with the ambiance , service and especially the food at Chesnut. The lobster bisque was delicious. They offer a variety "small bite" entrees that can be made into a full size entree by adding a up charge. My husband had the bine in pork chop and said it was the best he ever tasted. I would highly recommend a visit to Chestnut .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014We had a nice dinner that was different and very good. Our server was great !Special Features:
- Wish the food matched the service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We were very thrilled with the service...Although it must have been an off night for the kitchen staff? Shells in the lobster bisque and overdone salmon and pork chop...thx for thd great service because it might bring us back but we will be sure to suggest how we prefer our meals prepared.
- Decent experienceDolphinaliDined on 9/13/2014It was good. We had the mussels which were pretty good, though they don't serve good bread to soak up the sauce. We shared the salmon. It wasn't a huge piece and was cooked a bit more than we like. The server was efficient but not real friendly. Chesnut was recommended by friends who live in Asheville, so would probably try again sometime, but there are so many great places we would most likely try somewhere else.
- Great foodChrisVIPDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food, the pickled fried green tomatoes were super as was the redfish and strip steak. The wine list was also extensive, overall a nice experienceSpecial Features:
- Very good experienceLoriDined on 9/13/2014I had the trout, my husband had the eggplant (main dish). Both were outstanding. My trout was served with asparagus, arugula and potatoes. Husband's eggplant was sliced and breaded with panko. In between each slice was tapenade and goat cheese. It really was outstanding. I think it was served with kale and another vegetable. We started with a cup of lobster bisque, which we split and it was very good too. Our server, Ryan, was extremely attentive. The wine menu is excellent, with several choices by the glass. With so many restaurants to choose from in Asheville, we weren't sure which one to pick. This one was a great one. Wouldn't hesitate going back to Chestnut.Special Features:
- Fantastic Service/Food/Worth Going!PersnicketlyDinersDined on 9/12/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at the Chestnut on a Friday night. Our server was very thorough in descriptions of cocktails/appetizers/entrees. She was kind enough to offer some great options and we were pleased with the finished products. The menu is reasonably priced for the experience - and we both felt well worth the money. Highly recommend giving this location a try!Special Features:
- Excellent meal; good serviceFoodsnobFussyeaterDined on 9/11/2014This is the second time we've been and each time we have been very pleased. Very accommodating for allergy issues and quality food. We took out of town guests from Chicago who were pleased as well and Chicago is a tough restaurant town to beat but in Asheville - no problem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosoPumpkinruseDined on 9/10/2014Another fabulous dinner at Chestnut. So thrilled that they never seem to disappoint us or our guests with any of their menu items. From soup to dessert, all is perfect. A must for anyone in Asheville!Special Features:
- Best service evermehhVIPDined on 9/10/2014Four of us enjoyed dinner (delicious trout and salmon) with 1/2 price wine (very good), capped by a lovely chocolate espresso souffle. The atmosphere was pleasant and welcoming. Best of all was our personable and attentive (appropriately so) server.Special Features:
- Great Brunch, As Always!AshevilleGourmetDined on 9/7/2014Just around the corner from church. Perfect place for brunch...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014Chestnut consistently continues to be outstanding....brunch was the first time and was super. Dinners and lunch are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceRonbDined on 9/6/2014Food,service,and server were all outstanding. With a group of eight,everyone left with expectations exceeded.Special Features:
- Chestnut,AshevilleAshevilledinerDined on 9/6/2014Good food, ok cocktails (skimpy), over priced wine selection.Special Features:
- Chestnut FriendlyloveroffoodDined on 9/2/2014I have always been pleased with every aspect when eating at Chestnut. The food is wonderful. I feel a special word must be said about the friendliness of the staff. They make everyone feel that they are the only diners there. Kudos to management for the great team they have assembled.Special Features:
- Not the usual experience hereSparkyDined on 9/1/2014A bit disappointed, since this is one of my favorite spots, and I was treating a friend for their birthday. Despite my request for a private table to celebrate the occasion, we were seated at a small spot table (couch & chair) closely between two other couples. Also, no mention was made regarding the special occasion. To top matters, my friend was not happy with the entrée, explained problem to manager and it was returned from chef with no change. He could not eat it, however, no compensation for this either when the check arrived. Service was moderate, had a new server who was trying her best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014My wife and I came for the lobster bisque and were still surprised how good it was. I think it must be a Paula Dean recipe as the butter/creme was heavy. The lobster risotto cakes were great and the Cedar Plank Roasted King Salmon was wonderful. The service was perfect and it was an all around good experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent trout!BillDined on 8/31/2014One of the better places in Asheville. We have there 3 times and every visit has been good! Wednesday nights all wine bottles are half price!!Special Features:
- mightymouseDined on 8/31/2014Chestnut's food was outstanding. Great neighborhood find.Special Features:
- Great experienceAshevillagerDined on 8/31/2014Our waiter was knowledgable about the food and wine, helpful, and friendly but unobtrusive - the best combination. Our dinner was excellent. Three of us had fish and one had pork. There were no left overs.Special Features:
- Must try!foodiebabeDined on 8/31/2014I've been here twice now and had excellent food and service both times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch with friendsMikeDined on 8/31/2014Had some out of town friends meet us for Sunday brunch. All of our entrees were excellent as were the Bloody Marys. Hannah, our server was outstanding. She was very attentive without being overbearing. The interior is very inviting. Will definitely be back.Special Features: