48 Biltmore Ave
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chestnutasheville.com/
- Phone: (828) 575-2667
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30 am - 9 pm
Friday - Saturday 11:30 am - 10 pm
Sunday 9 am - 9 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chestnut
Chestnut is an American restaurant. We are in a 1920s era building in downtown Asheville, right across for the Aloft hotel and the double decker coffee bus (Double D's Coffee and Desserts). Parking is plentiful (and cheap) at the public deck under the Aloft Hotel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Chestnut - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Chestnut reviews from OpenTable diners
369 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (258)special occasion (167)neighborhood gem (134)good for groups (95)romantic (91)great for lunch (90)notable wine list (73)hot spot (63)great for brunch (61)vibrant bar scene (52)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (16)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/19/2014Great dinning spot for locals! We eat at Chestnut every time we are in Asheville<3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentatlertVIPDined on 11/16/2014Everything was awesome! Went in group of five. Started with delicious doughnuts, it tasted freshly made. Ordered, Chicken & Waffles (5/5), it was the best chicken & waffle that i had ever tasted. The other parties ordered Grilled Locally Farmed Burger (5/5), F.S. Carbon Waffles (5/5), Ager Lane Breakfast (5/5). For the food this great, I was surprised this place was not packed on a Sunday! If we visit Asheville, we will definitely stop by again. A+++++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaneDined on 11/15/2014From hostess to server to table busier, ALL were friendly and helpful! Amoungst the 4 of us, we had beer, wine and cocktail...appetizers, entrees and desserts, ALL was outstanding!! The portions were perfect. We will definitely revisit this restaurant on our visits to Asheville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodie experienceJpstellrDined on 11/15/2014We started at the bar with some cocktails. They were made to taste with local ingredients. We then moved yo supper which was both a feast for our mouths as well as our eyes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry, not a hit with usOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Not bad, but not very interesting food. looks good on the menu, but not much in flavor when it gets to the table. Nice presentation, good wait staff, wine selection is fine. Ashville has a lot of good choices, but I wouldn't rank this as one of the hot spots for foodies.
- Girlfriend GetawayPleasedReviewerDined on 11/15/2014Cannot say enough wonderful things about this place. Hit this spot for brunch. Definitely try the Chestnut Donuts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great except the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Our server was wonderful. I only gave service 2 stars because it took forever to get the food. I thought we were going to start losing people. I will definitely go back, but probably not on a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERHeidiPeppermintDined on 11/14/2014The staff, ambiance, and food are always exceptional. Menu selections and specials are wonderful. Only problem was being seated in a booth near the front door. A very icy blast hit us every time the front door opened - which was often! Just sayin'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flavorfulpizzaloverDined on 11/11/2014Fabulous food! I had the Risotto Cakes on Lobster Ragout. It was very good but it could have been a little warmer. We were a party of 6 so maybe it had to sit a little longer than needed but it tasted good non-the-less. It is considered a medium dish so I had the Chestnut seasonal salad as an appetizer. It was plenty of food. We had ordered a bread basket to share at the table but it never came. No big deal as we were plenty full with our orders. Others at the table had the Vegetarian Risotto, mussels, and trout and everyone was happy with their choice. The others were people who went out to eat a lot (they were from out of town) and they said they had not had a more tasty meal in a very long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/10/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Chestnut and our service was exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/9/2014The food here was excellent, good selections of items, and the service was fantastic. Would definitely give this a wonderful recommendation. And the souffle for dessert was great as well.Special Features:
- Disappointed in Chestnut DiningenjoydiningDined on 11/8/2014Restaurant was very noisy. My dining partner and I had to ask one another to repeat ourselves a number of times. Conversation was a challenge. Service was spotty - wait time for drinks and dessert was longer than normal, however, entrees arrived at table 1/2 into salad. While the medium plate filet was flavorful the mashed potatoes were lukewarm at best. This applies to both plates at the table.
- Great Asheville restaurantHollyDined on 11/8/2014We really enjoyed our lunch at Chestnut. The brunch food was very good and the service good but not invasive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014The two of us had delicious food (fish & chips and the slider of the day) and our server left us to talk about our topics but still checked on us at appropriate times. Great menu items - lobster bisque and the portabella sandwich are some favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TimnzeeDined on 11/5/2014This was our second trip to Chestnut during our four-day stay in Asheville. A terrific restaurant with that interesting menu and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeping the bar highOpsimathVIPDined on 11/5/2014The fried catfish and fried oyster poorboy would have done themselves proud in Mississippi or New Orleans. A lively, friendly, perfectly lovely dining venue.Special Features:
- surprisingly goodundercovercoupleDined on 11/4/2014We hadn't tried Chestnut because, frankly, there are so many good restaurants to chose from in downtown Asheville, and we usually opted for the ones we were confident about. Chestnut was surprisingly good! Not trendy like others nearby, priced very right, nice wine list & easy to get into on a weeknight - we'll be back! Try the charcuterie board, the mussels, the salmon and the (very) petite filet; very flavorful all the way around.Special Features:
- Good but not greatRun4BaconVIPDined on 11/3/2014Lobster bisque was delicious, but salmon was overcooked and spinach was too salty. Service was excellent - very friendly.
- TimnzeeDined on 11/3/2014We're frequent Asheville visitors and this was our first visit to Chestnut - it won't be our last.Special Features:
- The jury is still out.....asheville4Dined on 11/2/2014First time dining at Chesnut. We were pleased with the ambiance and our server,Sawyer, was very good. Shared the beet salad and the lobster bisque - both amazing. Later Sawyer brought a complimentary basket of bread as "the food seemed to be taking a while'. No problem. When ours finally came out my husband's pork loin was cold. (wouldn't you think when the kitchen knew they had messed up our order - that they would have made sure it was right before they did serve it?) Had to send it back while I ate my dinner alone. When it returned, it was heavily smothered in sauce-vegetables and all.They did comp his meal and we went on to enjoy a dessert.Their sister restaurant, Corner Kitchen, needs to give them some pointers!Special Features:
- Always a treatFantonVIPDined on 11/2/2014Took our out of town guests for brunch. Excellent mimosas. Great variety of food offerings, and as always excellent!Special Features:
- Very good brunchDelrayDined on 11/2/2014We arrived early and were seated immediately by a friendly hostess. We both loved our brunch. We started with the glazed chestnut donut, which was a delicious treat, and then had the fried chicken and the central american breakfast. Both were very good. We will be back to try dinner.Special Features:
- TLuvCDined on 11/1/2014This place was recommended to us by the owner of the B&B we stayed at. We couldn't get a reservation with open table until 8:30. We arrived about 8:15 and to our surprise our table was ready and we were seated immediately. Service was great. Food was great. Would recommend to a friend. Not a good place for kidsI would recommend this to a friend.
- ServicePhilly313VIPDined on 11/1/2014This restaurant experience was a lesson in how service plays into how you view your experience. We did not start out so great with the hostess even though they were not busy and we had reservations. Our server was a joy to interact with. When I think about her, my opinion of the restaurant goes up. She made it fun! Interesting cocktail menu that they change seasonally. We started with two different soups that were very good. I had the trout and he had the chicken. It was a very nice meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They never say no.yawadrahDined on 11/1/2014According to our waitress, they try to accommodate all requests. She did a very good job of not saying no to anything! We had some fantastic burgers, topped with anything we wanted. That ended up being bacon, avocado, a fried egg and pimento cheese. Yes. This was actually my third meal at Chestnut and it has always been very good. I had a calamari topped salad another time. My niece was thrilled to be able to get a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Very good option anytime of day. Try it.Special Features:
- Lovely dinnerKathyVIPDined on 10/31/2014On an unexpectedly wintery night, Chestnut was warm and welcoming . One of the best trout presentations I've had in a long time. The tomato squash soup was excellent and healthy.Special Features:
- herbherbDined on 10/31/2014our guests loved the food, and decor. They were from Florida.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops Our Faves ListmikezotDined on 10/31/2014Want great food at a reasonable price served quickly by friendly, knowledgeable staff? Chestnut should be your choice, if in downtown Asheville. Its proximity to myriad local venues (Fine Arts Theatre, Diana Wortham Theatre, art galleries, boutiques, etc.) add to its appeal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ever Changing Menu.....CathyDined on 10/28/2014Great restaurant, we meet up with a couple every 6 weeks and try different restaurants in the area, this has been our favorite one so far. We have been here 4 times and each time the menu is a little different with seasonal specials. The sliders are always a good choice, this time 3 of us had the turkey sandwich which was great, as was the sweet potato salad. Great place to meet up, reservations are not a bad thing, as the place fills up rather fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd go 3.8 stars if possibleBoilerjackVIPDined on 10/27/2014I've been to Chestnut now about 4 times, 2 times for lunch, 2 for dinner. The food there is very good, but there is something that seems to put it behind some other in-town favorites, such as Limones, Posana, in this price-range. The 3.5 stars is based on the price. I just don't feel the food quite justifies the prices. It's close, but not quite there. I'm also not wild about the menu. There are a few really good dishes, but just not as many to choose from as some other places, or as creative. The interior is a cool, historic restored feel, that is very open. I like this feel. The service has usually been good, just not fantastic. No big complaints. We had a Mahi dish and a Trout dish, which were both very good. The Mahi was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, as alwaysAshevilleGourmetVIPDined on 10/26/2014Service seems to be an issue for Sunday brunch. Servers seem to be over-booked with tables. We love dining here after church. Food is great and they really work to accommodate families.Special Features:
- Can you top this? NO!SceneItAll2013Dined on 10/26/2014Chestnut has always been a great place to meet and eat. And our most recent dining experience there with out-of-town guests shows that even the best can get better. The food and service were outstanding, and we and our friends came away duly impressed and looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sumptious BrunchluvtoeatDined on 10/26/2014The menu items were intriguing and delicious. The variety would satisfy any hunger. The preparation and presentation were wonderful. A great place to take friends and guests.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderful experience at Chestnut. The food was delicious and service was good as well. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Asheville and looking for a nice restaurant. Prices were reasonable too.Special Features:
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Sawyer provided awesome service. Food was excellent. Management not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to billingFortyAcreDinerDined on 10/24/2014After checking on which restaurants would merit a visit during our weekend in Asheville we noted Chestnut was highly rated. We were not disappointed as the food was excellent and the service outstanding. The lobster bisque and assorted breads started our meal and both are to be recommended. The petite filet and trout were main courses that also were very, very good. We had happily return if were in Asheville again.Special Features:
- TravelerVIPDined on 10/24/2014Love this restaurant. Every time I return, I try something different. Always great service, great food. The duo beet and goat cheese salad is a great starter. My trout was exceptional as was his pork shoulder dinner. I'll be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerKathyDined on 10/24/2014Excellent dinner. Glad I made reservations ahead of time. My request for a quiet corner table was taken care of and my husband and I just loved the entire experience. Had never been to Asheville, but will make this spot, and their other location, Corner Kitchen, a "must" when coming back!Special Features:
- Great service, Great foodBeobewonDined on 10/24/2014First time here and had a great experience. Owned by the same folks that own the Corner Kitchen...another great spot. Custom orders are welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014HhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.