48 Biltmore Ave
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chestnutasheville.com/
- Phone: 8285752667
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30 am - 9 pm
Friday - Saturday 11:30 am - 10 pm
Sunday 9 am - 9 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chestnut
Chestnut is an American restaurant. We are in a 1920s era building in downtown Asheville, right across for the Aloft hotel and the double decker coffee bus (Double D's Coffee and Desserts). Parking is plentiful (and cheap) at the public deck under the Aloft Hotel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Chestnut - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Chestnut reviews from OpenTable diners
375 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (269)special occasion (173)neighborhood gem (127)romantic (98)great for lunch (94)good for groups (93)notable wine list (66)hot spot (64)great for brunch (62)vibrant bar scene (49)late-night find (21)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (2)Show More
- Ever Changing Menu.....CathyDined on 10/28/2014Great restaurant, we meet up with a couple every 6 weeks and try different restaurants in the area, this has been our favorite one so far. We have been here 4 times and each time the menu is a little different with seasonal specials. The sliders are always a good choice, this time 3 of us had the turkey sandwich which was great, as was the sweet potato salad. Great place to meet up, reservations are not a bad thing, as the place fills up rather fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd go 3.8 stars if possibleBoilerjackVIPDined on 10/27/2014I've been to Chestnut now about 4 times, 2 times for lunch, 2 for dinner. The food there is very good, but there is something that seems to put it behind some other in-town favorites, such as Limones, Posana, in this price-range. The 3.5 stars is based on the price. I just don't feel the food quite justifies the prices. It's close, but not quite there. I'm also not wild about the menu. There are a few really good dishes, but just not as many to choose from as some other places, or as creative. The interior is a cool, historic restored feel, that is very open. I like this feel. The service has usually been good, just not fantastic. No big complaints. We had a Mahi dish and a Trout dish, which were both very good. The Mahi was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, as alwaysAshevilleGourmetDined on 10/26/2014Service seems to be an issue for Sunday brunch. Servers seem to be over-booked with tables. We love dining here after church. Food is great and they really work to accommodate families.Special Features:
- Can you top this? NO!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Chestnut has always been a great place to meet and eat. And our most recent dining experience there with out-of-town guests shows that even the best can get better. The food and service were outstanding, and we and our friends came away duly impressed and looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sumptious BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014The menu items were intriguing and delicious. The variety would satisfy any hunger. The preparation and presentation were wonderful. A great place to take friends and guests.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderful experience at Chestnut. The food was delicious and service was good as well. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Asheville and looking for a nice restaurant. Prices were reasonable too.Special Features:
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Sawyer provided awesome service. Food was excellent. Management not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to billingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014After checking on which restaurants would merit a visit during our weekend in Asheville we noted Chestnut was highly rated. We were not disappointed as the food was excellent and the service outstanding. The lobster bisque and assorted breads started our meal and both are to be recommended. The petite filet and trout were main courses that also were very, very good. We had happily return if were in Asheville again.Special Features:
- TravelerVIPDined on 10/24/2014Love this restaurant. Every time I return, I try something different. Always great service, great food. The duo beet and goat cheese salad is a great starter. My trout was exceptional as was his pork shoulder dinner. I'll be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Excellent dinner. Glad I made reservations ahead of time. My request for a quiet corner table was taken care of and my husband and I just loved the entire experience. Had never been to Asheville, but will make this spot, and their other location, Corner Kitchen, a "must" when coming back!Special Features:
- Great service, Great foodBeobewonDined on 10/24/2014First time here and had a great experience. Owned by the same folks that own the Corner Kitchen...another great spot. Custom orders are welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/22/2014HhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestmut is very EXCELLENTfoodlover1Dined on 10/22/2014Another good experience at Chestnut. Food and service is always top notch. Can't go wrong with Chestnut. Great for new folks in town and good friends.Special Features:
- DeceivingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Service looked good at the beginning, but... it was way too fast. Just after we order, the appetizer arrived right away, letting us thinking it was cooked in advance. A second server bring our entrees while we were still eating the appetizer. So we returned it. Unfortunatly it seem that they just put it in an oven waiting to bring it back. So overcooked and stiff meals... A good wine list, at the right price. I'm glad we picked a good bottle, it almost saved the night. At 150$ (including a 40$ bottle but without service), I was expecting a lot more. Sorry.
- Great ExperiencelbtsDined on 10/19/2014Dined for our anniversary on 10/19. Food and service was outstanding. I ordered the mahi and my husband has the wahoo/shrimp and we didn't leave a crumb. With so many choices in downtown we were happy to we chose Chestnut!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongBonnieBlueDined on 10/19/2014We have been to Chestnut twice now. It has great food, great beer selection, and great atmosphere each time. We are hoping to get there for a brunch when we go back to Asheville. We have had dinner both times. I had the Mahi with jalapeño grits and collards. The collards were spectacular!! Usually they aren't my favorite green, but these were exceptional!! My husband got the wahoo and shrimp dish he loved it. As we say inthe south, he was a member of the clean your plate club"!! We don't think you can go wrong at this restaurant. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Asheville BistroAshevilleGourmetDined on 10/19/2014Local diners here. Fortunate to have so many fine dining establishments from which to choose in our charming town. And, this is one of them! Loved it...as usual.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Went here last weekend and experience was great! My wife and I both had cocktails that were great. I would recommend against the house manhattan though. All of our food dishes were awesome. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Service was outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We made reservations and we were seated promptly even though it was a full house. The drinks and wine were great. My husband and I enjoyed ordering many small and medium plates and sharing, trying new things loved the charcuterie plate, the cheeses and the house cured duck? Wow! But, a few times the food was cold straight out of the kitchen. On the plus side though, our server and the other staff were lightning fast, made great suggestions and corrected the cold food promptly and professionally. Thanks for a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodkingleonDined on 10/18/2014We ordered soup and shared a bread basket. It was delicious. The service was superb. I love the ambience of this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodlover1Dined on 10/18/2014Restaurant was full! Our party arrived about 10 minutes before our reservation and we were taken to our table within 3-4 minutes of the reservation time. Staff was very nice. Everyone at our table loved their dinners. The only minus in my opinion was the small number of main course selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealBrachlVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had a terrific meal at Chestnut. We shared the small charcuterie plate (which was plenty for two), which was great; my husband had the trout (apparently their most popular dish), which was very tasty; I had the swordfish, which was wonderful; and we shared the pie of the day (apple with caramel), which was delicious. The service was good but not great. (We were there on a Saturday night during peak leaf season, and they were very busy.) They couldn't find our reservation, but they seated us anyway. Our server had to be reminded to ask if there were nuts in the dessert. However, when we had the server's attention, he was very knowledgeable and engaging. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining before the SymphonyViolindaDined on 10/18/2014The four of us had a nice time at the Chestnut this weekend. The meal was served at a leisurely pace. The food beautiful and delicious. No one was disappointed. Our server, Denise, was cordial and with a nice sense of humor. The only disappointment was that I wasn't able to order a soufflé because at that point as it would have taken too long to make as we had a concert to get to. If I had known sooner I would have placed the order ahead of time so that it could have been properly timed. But the dessert we choose (lemon bar with raspberry sauce and lavender ice cream) was wonderful and light. A fine finish to our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful mealSydneyDined on 10/18/2014There were 7 of us and service was great. Some had salads, some breakfast and some lunch and all were happy with selections. Portobello sandwich got a special rave review.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsfamsamosDined on 10/17/2014Our fun group of 8 have had a hard time finding a nice restaurant where we could hear each other talk. This one filled the bill! It was comfortable, fun, had great food and we had an enjoyable evening together. We noticed the sound baffling in the ceiling - thank you!Special Features:
- ExcellentLocalManDined on 10/16/2014Great food, interestingly prepared, good service, bright surroundings, one of the best charcuterie plates anywhereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QueenieVIPDined on 10/16/2014I ran late but they still happily found me a table. Server Sean or Shane? was great. As I was traveling alone the manager kindly sent as nice busboy with me to my car. It was a totally wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestnut - one of our repeat venuesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/16/2014Had a great lunch yesterday - service was great. Kaitlan (sp?) was our server and she is on point, friendly, professional and knowledgeable about the menu. Melissa had the Lobster Pot Pie and I had the Roast Beef sandwich with the au jus - not sure what the proper title was. The biggest thing in Chestnut's corner is that they are consistently good - period. Chesnut is on our short list of Asheville restaurants where we go back repeatedly - wish the list was longer but there is only about four or five that meet these two foodies cut and Chestnut is one of them.Special Features:
- Excellent choice in AshevilleGreatGroupdinnerDined on 10/13/2014Chestnut was the perfect choice for our group of eight. We had a very private table with a view of all the activity on the streets of Asheville. The daily menu was perfect for the International group we had for dinner. The choices were loved by all with options for the light to heavy diner. The wine choices were affordable and very good. The service was fantastic and only surpassed by the atmosphere. Truly an exceptional choice if you have a discerning group of customers you are trying to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eveningChefiedoDined on 10/12/2014First of all I am a Retired Chef. I think you have beautiful place and good service, very friendly. The beef stroganoff needs some work. It needs to be old style. I would have used fettuccini noodles and sweet sherry. It did not have the flavors I remember. My strip steak was delicious and cooked to perfection. Only thing was it was not hot. Just a little tweaking and it would have been a great visit. I would return.Special Features:
- Great Sunday Brunch!food4friendsDined on 10/12/2014We had a wonderful Sunday Brunch at Chestnut -- a celebration with dear friends. The food at Chestnut is always good, the service was great, and the Prosecco was flowing. Thanks to the Chestnut Team!!Special Features:
- Great BrunchAmocomerDined on 10/12/2014We went for brunch before the early show at the Fine Arts Theater. We had been once before for dinner. We were equally pleased with brunch. Two had traditional eggs Benedict which were delicious and indeed done the traditional way which we like best. Another had chicken and waffle which got rave review, and the last ordered waffle with blueberry compote, and it disappeared very quickly. The brunch menu selections are varied enough to please almost any palate, ambiance is wonderful, service is impeccable. This is a restaurant you will want to go to again and again.Special Features:
- excellent!realfoodsDined on 10/11/2014Best dining experience I've had in a very long time. Food and service were impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTheatergoerVIPDined on 10/11/2014We celebrated our anniversary dinner here. Very attentive waitstaff. Excellent food and drinks. Make a reservation on the weekends for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatLuvashevilleDined on 10/11/2014We had heard such great things about Chestnut that we even took a 5:15 reservation (the only time available on a Saturday evening). Chestnut offers a good variety of foods and servings (starters, medium plates, and entrees), and the service was attentive without being overbearing. Unfortunately, the food itself does not live up to its billing. Foodies will be disappointed by the creativity and flavor of the dishes; solid, but nothing spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- didnt disappointGreatFoodDined on 10/10/2014Great dinner with some good friends for their recent engagement. Meat and cheese board was fantastic as were the risotto balls. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014First time in Asheville, really enjoyed the atmosphere at Chestnut and it's proximity to our Aloft hotel and other breweries. Would definitely recommend this to a friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chestnut lives up to expectationsNeedhamDined on 10/9/2014Chestnut, a chef driven restaurant which usually means a great meal, delivered. The décor is a great reuse of an old downtown store. We were promptly served an amuse de bouche, which did amuse! Our starters, seasonal salad and lobster bisque both outstanding. The bisque was finished with a NC whisky cream sauce. The salad featured smoked cheddar, shaved apples, honey and walnuts. Our mains were the small fillet with mashed potatoes and the Sunburst trout. The fillet cut like butter and simply melted in the mouth. What could be better than NC trout with an apple glaze and herbed potatoes? The chef makes perfect use of local ingredients. The staff is equal to the meal. The wine list is interesting and pairs well to the entrees.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchAmazingAshevilleDined on 10/9/2014Three of us had lunch at Chestnut, and everything was excellent. The waitperson was on top of everything. Prices were reasonable, though perhaps a bit more than the average Asheville lunch spot. Two of us had the NC fried catfish and one had the calamari salad. No complaints on anything. This is now a top choice of lunch in downtown Asheville.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014Everything was wonderful - the food, the service, the ambiance! The staff was delightful - we had a wonderful evening. And it was particularly a pleasure to go out to dinner without a lot of loud music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.