8201 Germantown Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19118Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chestnut7.com/
- Phone: 2152477777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday : 11:30am - 5:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm Dinner Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Shane Hallman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Chestnut 7
Chestnut 7 is a restaurant in the Chestnut Hill neighborhood, North of Philadelphia. We offer inventive twists on American classics in an open, inviting atmosphere. Our bar is open until 2:00am and offers an inspired selection of wines, craft beers and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chestnut 7 reviews from OpenTable diners
- Four for dinner on TuesdayspikeDined on 8/13/2013Four for dinner on Tuesday night. Fortunately, it was a lovely evening so we could sit outside. Inside noise was deafening. Waitress attentiveuntil we ordered; we did not see her again until she brought the food, much later. She did not offer bread so we asked for it when she set down our plates. Entrees were neither expensive nor inexpensive, but the meager quantity (two orders each of one bronzino filet atop a bit of ratatouille and one order of 6 ravioli, both in rather large bowls that made them look even less adequate) was disappointing. This was particularly true because both entrees were tasty. An appetizer/small plate portion of clams was sufficient for the price. The bread we requested was necessary to avoid hunger pangs.
- Nice place!calukaVIPDined on 8/9/2013This was our first time at Chestnut 7. When we got there it was just too hot and humid to sit outside so we were seated indoors without any issue. The only thing I would say is that it was very loud - there was a large group at the bar and so we were having a hard time hearing our group at our table (there was a separate dining area that we could have sat that seemed much quieter). Once the big group left it was perfectly fine. We ordered salads and the pizza - which were both fantastic. The pizza was a thin crust that was just crispy enough and had a great flavor. My husband had the meatballs as appetizers and said they were wonderful. Overall we had a great time and would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small portions . . .OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2013I like sitting outside at this place. The service is ok but each time I have been there it seems that the staff is very young and not quite sure what they are doing. The food is good but the portions are small so be ready for that.Special Features:
- ambience fine, food MehOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/26/2013Food consistently was bland. It's almost like the chef didn't know what seasoning meant. Got Risotto, gnocchi, salad, hummus platter and each of these was flat tasting and required additional salt and pepper which is not expected at restaurants. The hummus was sort of stiff--needed some more creaminess (?garlic, ?oil). The sauce on the gnocchi was bland and tasteless. The Risotto was not creamy and tasted like rice with a slight amount of cheese. I don't know what was missing but something. Salt and pepper helped a bit, but not enough. The service was attentive though slightly slow for the amount of people there. Certainly the attitude of the waitstaff was nice and accommodating though. Airy room design and festiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were there on a week nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/15/2013We were there on a week night and it was quiet. Food was good, only 1 server and she was very busy but efficient.Special Features:
- too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2013way overpriced for what you get-I think this restaurant will turn over again-pretty empty for a saturday night which is telling. Food was good but not at that price-nice roomy bar
- food and service were not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2013paninis were supposed to be on foccacia bread but they used white bread without telling us ahead of time. water glasses had lipstick marks. service was incredibly slow. fries were ordered but did not come out with the entrees; when asked if fries were coming, we had to wait 10 minutes before they came out piping hot and undercooked.
- Went with my gf and her parentsAlexBVIPDined on 5/11/2013Went with my gf and her parents for a brunch. We arrived a few minutes prior to our reservation time, but they weren't quite done setting up for the day, so we were seated maybe 10-15 minutes later. The brunch menu has a number of options, but they seem to focus on frittatas, pizzas, and various styles of eggs benedict. The service was generally okay, no missteps overall. My gf and I both had a frittata, both of us were disappointed, she even said her home fries were not thoroughly cooked. Her parents had a pancetta/arugula pizza (very good), and french toast (seemed to be the winner of the group). I'd definitely go back if I wanted to sit outside and enjoy a beer and something to snack on, though not so sure I'd go back for brunch again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor service. No breadGtownfoodieDined on 5/10/2013Very poor service. No bread or silverware until we asked for it. Calamari rubbery.Salad too vinegary, Pannini was nothing special and truffle pizza tasteless, though the crust wasn't bad. Would not return.Special Features:
- Food is mediocre. Very loud.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2013Food is mediocre. Very loud. We were seated right next to a door on a chilly day. There were people dining outside (in gloves and scarves). The door was used to serve the outside tables. We wore our coats throughout the meal.
- Fool me twice shame on me...2guysdineVIPDined on 3/30/2013Limited menu options, specials only for a certain type of eater, small serving sizes, appetizers are not shareable, rude host staff...only bright spot was it had a good beer selection...although that's not enough to bring me back a third timeSpecial Features:
- We went here for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2013We went here for Valentine's Day, so I'm sure service would be better on a more regular night. It wasn't bad, just a little slow. The food and beer selection were both great! The portion sizes are appropriate for the cost, which isn't too bad. I would definitely go back there!Special Features:
- Since Solaris closed ( andOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/3/2013Since Solaris closed ( and missed) I have not been to the new place in the same location. We went on Super Bowl Sunday well before the game. The place was mostly empty except folks at the bar. The food was good, waitress was friendly, nothing more nothing less. I thought the wine by the glass was a bit pricey- $12 for pinot noir- but the food prices were reasonable. I will go back again.Special Features:
- it was my first time thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/23/2012it was my first time there and was very pleased with with Salmon dinner entree. Excellent!Special Features:
- We had a great meal at Chestnutbarfly26VIPDined on 11/29/2012We had a great meal at Chestnut 7 - the BBQ nachos and pigs in blanket make for excellent and "out of the box" takes on bar food staples and the service was friendly and prompt. Would certainly recommend to anyone looking for a solid dinner in Chestnut Hill.Special Features:
- It was fine for meeting anFishtacoVIPDined on 10/1/2012It was fine for meeting an associate for lunch but nothing other than beautiful day/weather was outstanding. I would go back but no raves.Special Features:
- The oysters were great!QualityFirstVIPDined on 9/27/2012We had a delightful lunch - fresh, cold and flavorful oysters followed by a well made salad of arugula, sliced grilled portobella mushrooms, marinated red peppers and a tangy lemon vinaigratte. It was the perfect complement to our morning in Chestnut Hill. Our server, Laura, was very efficient and pleasant.Special Features:
- Nice salad selections. TunaJanetLMPVIPDined on 9/16/2012Nice salad selections. Tuna appetizer was very nice. Rotating beers on draft always offer a fresh choice. Salmon main was done perfectly with slightly rare center.Special Features:
- First time visit was a success.DiningProVIPDined on 8/12/2012First time visit was a success. Very friendly helpful staff . Nice variety on the menu. To be fair, I'm not a beer drinker, but I did notice they had a huge selection of craft beer and the bar is gigantic. ..so I am guessing it's a very busy place on the weekends and if you are into beer, this is the place to go. It's a casual atmosphere inside and there is a large outdoor seating area. We enjoyed the food very much and will definitely return. I can recommend this for casual dining.Special Features:
- We sat outside and the tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/31/2012We sat outside and the tables were nicely spaced so you had your privacy with conversations and didn't overhear others too much either. The seating inside has high top tables in the bar area (can be very fun) as well as a more formal dining area with a lot of seating on another side. The wine was good and the hummus app was tasty. We both ordered the spinach fettuccine with grilled summer vegetables, which was delicious! The strawberry pound cake dessert was yummy. The service was great as well, very attentive staff. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- This was a birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/23/2012This was a birthday celebration and was just perfect. I will suggest Chestnut 7 to my friends.Special Features:
- Worth taking a chance2guysdineVIPDined on 7/17/2012safe dining choice with options for everyone, nice twist on all american bar cuisine, ample portion sizes, great eye appeal; friendly but hit or miss on service (our server took our order and brought us the bill and that was about it)Special Features:
- Dining DIsasterLaSchDined on 7/3/2012I can't remember the last time I had such poor service. We waited a full 90 minutes after placing our dinner orders...during that time the waitress didn't even come by to apologize for the wait. I had to get up,track her down and ask whether she had forgotten us. She apologized and claimed the kitchen was backed up. I have no reason to doubt this is true although it was a Tuesday night and the place was nowhere near full but the least she or management could have done was stop by to offer us free drinks or even bread. Instead we were completely ignored. When the food arrived it was good...not spectacular but well prepared and reasonably tasty but the entire experience was so unpleasant--I will never go back to this place. .
- went for our anniversary theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2012went for our anniversary the service was excellent the food was ok the smoked duck was awsome,it can get loud at times but the place is not bad.Special Features:
- Bland, mediocreKarenColeenVIPDined on 6/17/2012Nice patio which could be vastly improved with simple cushions and tablecloths. Food is mediocre...prices high for bland meals. Stick witg basic pub fare. Nice for a drink but Iwould not return to dine.
- We don't get to Chestnut HillmouseVIPDined on 5/25/2012We don't get to Chestnut Hill very often and used Open Table to find a restaurant to visit. We selected Chestnut 7 and we were very happy with our choice. The service was great and the food was very good. We were able to sit outdoor whcih was wonderful.Special Features:
- We sat on the patio on a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/30/2012We sat on the patio on a lovely spring day. The octopus app was delicious. Our sandwiches were a bit dry... chicken. The service was perfect and very friendly. When strolling Chestnut Hill on a beautiful day this would be a great stop. We visited on a Monday and many of the shops were closed.Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/15/2012This was our second visit to CH7. The first dinner experience was great, however our second visit was totally different. While we waited for our table, the bartender forgot one of our guests drink order. Then when she placed her drink order again at the dining table, it took over 15 minutes and a reminder before her drink finally arrived. Then our server mis-entered one of the entree orders and again we had to wait for a replacement. It seemed from our vantage point that there seemed to be a lot of confusion going on with the staff. Hopefully this as just an extremely bad night for management, as our first experience was so much better.Special Features:
- I met up with 4 former coworkersBrightguyDined on 2/4/2012I met up with 4 former coworkers for Saturday brunch. One of our party members was running a bit late but we were seated immediately and the waitress was nice enough to keep the drinks flowing while we waited for the last person to join us. The menu selection was great and the food was just as good. It was a nice, friendly environment and I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- This was my first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2012This was my first experience at Chestnut 7 and it will NOT be my last! The food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Diner - quailty food. CouldVaughnVIPDined on 10/25/2011Diner - quailty food. Could do much better if you want to compete with restaurants in Chestnut Hill!
- I went to Chestnut 7 for theFabFoodieDined on 10/17/2011I went to Chestnut 7 for the first time this week. My friend and I sat outside and had lunch. I had the crab cake sandwich which was very good. Service wasn't over-the-top great, but it was lunch and it was quiet so we really didn't need much. The server was pleasant and knowledgable; would have been nice if she'd checked on us or asked if we wanted a second beverage. I'll definitely go back, though, and see what the dinner menu is like.Special Features: