35 Caoba St
San Juan, PR 00913Neighborhood:
Punta Las Marias
ArgentineanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7877267202
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean
- Executive Chef: Juan P Aleman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Juan P Aleman 7877267202
A word from Che's
Since 1976, Che"s has been the favorite Argentinian Restaurant in Puerto Rico for both locals as well as tourists. The best Churrasco in Puerto Rico and the best wine list make Che's an obvious choice when visiting the Island.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Che's reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)fit for foodies (2)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great Food, Great ServiceAbe3Dined on 8/7/2014Che's is a restuarant that lives up to it's name in terms of the food and the service. I had the breaded veal, which was a large cut, lean and was very tender. Paired with Argentinian Melbac, one's pallete is sure to be pleased. Doris was my waitress and she made me feel as though a family member who had not seen me in years was serving me; extremely warm and responsive to my requests. She had a never-ending smile that made this first-time patron feel welcome. I definately plan to return!Special Features:
- ExpensiveLumiarieDined on 7/5/2014Too expensive for a poor menu...not a expensive place and ambient...
- The following 34 reviews are from the Che's reviews archive.
- Always great foodGerryVIPDined on 5/25/2014This is on our must visit list when we travel to Puerto Rico!Special Features:
- Che's has been a favorite for yearsTinaDined on 4/12/2014We really enjoyed our visit to Che's. We came here on a visit three years ago and used to come all the time when I lived on the island in the 70's. The pina coladas were a great mix of pineapple and coco juice, the camarones al ajillo were cooked to perfection, the tostones were delicious and the churrasco was fantastic. The flan de coco had the perfect hint of coconut with a light crust of coconut flakes on the bottom. "Susan's" ice cream, a sundae with chocolate and vanilla ice cream, was topped topped with dulce de leche and chopped almonds -- delicious. The homemade ice cream is very smooth and creamy. The dulce de leche was perfect. We will be sure to return to Che's on a future visit to the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeByrianVIPDined on 12/31/2013Wonderful food excellent time. A couple wines I requested from the menu were not in stock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Boricuas85Dined on 12/6/2013Great Argentine restaurant with Puerto Rican flavors. A little gem hide in between Ocean Park and Isla Verde.Special Features:
- Add Che's to your list!GrandmaNancyDined on 11/21/2013Thanks to a friend whose husband is from Puerto Rico, we knew that Che's was a must! Not your your typical touristy spot....servers spoke enough English to help out. Hanger steak and fried plantains melted in our mouths! Desserts are homemade...Special Features:
- No seasoning at all on churrascos!!Bob2010Dined on 9/22/2013No seasoning at all on churrascos (6) ordered no falvor at all.Special Features:
- If in San Juan, you must eat a ChesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2013Love the food and the service. Excellent wine list, Malbec is a must! Excellent compliment to the house special skirt steak! Best flan I have ever had for dessert. Che's was a recommendation from a friend and I will continue to recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friday night hangoutMangiaDined on 8/16/2013Che"s is a place to hangout for dining with families, old firiends and new, where you can always depend on the quality of a good Churrasco in a friendly atmosphere, You are not rushed even though it is extremely busy and all the waiters are willing to help each other. If you are hungry the servings are huge and they don't mind if you share with others.Special Features:
- Avoid it at all costsCargustoVIPDined on 5/12/2013This us my dinkng experience sequence: 15 after being seated a waiter shows up and takes our drinks order 15 minutes after he comes back with them (this is the last time I saw him) 15 after I had to stop another waiter so I could order appetizers. 15 after the appetizers arrived. 20 minutes after, I had to stop a different waiter so he can take my order of entrees. 45 minutes after my dinner arrives. My meat was at room temperature and rear. I had to wait another 15 to see my waiter again and tell him that I ordered my meat medium. After all this tine he began arguing with me that the pile of blood i had on my plate was cook medium. I found it insulting since I eat meat all the time and order it medium. They never served water.
- While vacationing in PuertoEdWeinVIPDined on 4/11/2013While vacationing in Puerto Rico,we visited Che's 3 times .the food and service was unbeatable.We have been a visitor to Puerto Rico for 43 years and have been to many of the islands restaurants,many are great and some not so great but Che's has always been consistently great for many of those years.Special Features:
- If you feel that Che's maybeEdWeinVIPDined on 4/3/2013If you feel that Che's maybe doesn't fit into the category along with others in Puerto Rico you are wrong.We are also patrons of such restaurants as Marmalade,Jams, Il Mulino New York ,Pikayo,La Casona,Cochina Abierto,and many others.Special Features:
- Pleasant, family friendlyMeeshaVIPDined on 4/2/2013Pleasant, family friendly restaurant with an excellent wine selection to accompany the Argentinian style beef offerings. Try to save room for the homemade desserts!Special Features:
- Great for Grilled BeefTracyVIPDined on 3/13/2013This being our first time to Puerto Rico and not knowing where to go for good food, Mauricio, at the Ritz, suggested we try this place. While not as good as being in Argentina, the food was close. I had the Charrasco which was very good and my husband had the Escalopa. I think they need to cut back on the Cheese on the Escalopa. Even though I love cheese, it overtook the Veal. We had the Chorizo in Wine sauce as an appetizer. The Chorizo's had a nice grilled taste but the "wine sauce" was more like BBQ sauce. Would have much preferred a thin wine sauce. The bread was nice, hot, and crispy and this was the first place in P.R. that I had a drink that you could actually taste the liquore. Overall, we would probably go back there.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood restaurant.RobsantDined on 3/10/2013You can't go wrong going to Che's. it is a staple restaurant. No frills. Just good food, good service and relatively reasonable prices. Not a linen restaurant. No table cloth or linen napkins. Instead, paper mats and napkins and directors' chairs at every table. Has its own parking, a plus in Puerto Rico, no matter how you slice it or dice it. It is one of my favorites to go with the family on a Sunday or take a close business or professional associate for an informal bite.Special Features:
- A local favorite disappointsfrancisco2prVIPDined on 3/10/2013The appetizer cheese empanada was very good. The churrasco (skirt steak) was ok. The chimichurri sauce was the worst that I can recall; it had an unusual taste which I did not like at all. This is a very popular restaurant locally, whose popularity I have never been able to understand, and this last experience did not help.
- Excellent service and La ParrilladaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/5/2012Excellent service and La Parrillada was delicious. Great return for your money. Good location with valet pkng.Special Features:
- Fui a celebrar mi aniversarioOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/30/2012Fui a celebrar mi aniversario de noviazgo y fue un éxito. Nos trataron excelente y la comida estuvo exquisita. Salimos bien "jaltitos" jejeDe verdad que espero volver y pronto. Gracias!!Special Features:
- Food was great, but serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012Food was great, but service was really bad. Waiter had an attitude. We had to ask for him to bring the bread after we saw other waiters taking it to other, ours brought it after the appetizer. We asked for another appetizer and he brought the wrong one. Aked for a bottle of water more than 3 times. The waiter didnt even aske if the order was right after they brought it to us. Wouldn't return to this place.Special Features:
- fue la peor experiencia ,despuesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012fue la peor experiencia ,despues de esperar 2 horas y media nos fuimos sin comer y con una bebe de 2 anos ,la comida nunca salio .....
- It was a good experience.....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2012It was a good experience..... la comida muy buena..... el servivcio no es el mejor pero creo que es por la costumbre de los sitios en discriminar contra las personas por la edad..... creen que no los van a tipear bn y casi ni caso te hacen...... Que malSpecial Features:
- Excellent restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2012Che's is a great local argentinian restaurant. I love everything about it. This is definitely a must!Special Features:
- Excellent place to eat meat.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012Excellent place to eat meat. Food and ambiance is great.Special Features:
- Great menu and service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/8/2012Great menu and service was excellent!!! Noise level is a little loud, but we had 2 kids with us and they were able to have fun without too many "rescrictions". This is a nice family friendly restaurant....Special Features:
- Che's is a San Juan fixtureOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/5/2012Che's is a San Juan fixture with an excellent reputation for service and food. The Argentinean Grill was delicious; the wine list was robust and reasonably priced. The decor needs the touch of a 21th Century woman to upgrade. Great suburban dining.Special Features:
- IT WAS REALLY GOOD AND REFRESHINGOutstandingVIPDined on 4/14/2012IT WAS REALLY GOOD AND REFRESHING TO SEE AND ARGENTINIAN RESTAURANT WITH SUCH A GOOD SERVICE (NORMALLY IS OK), Pedro was very helpfull and diligent. I will RECOMMEND IT AND COME BACK SOON!!Special Features:
- Went here using a gustazosOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2012Went here using a gustazos deal, overall it was a good meal. Order a new york strip was good only some fat. Order my steak medium but went it came it was medium well.... Prices for steaks were from $18 to $30.Special Features:
- Kids screaming next to isOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/18/2012Kids screaming next to is but the food was very good.
- Servicio muy lento. FuimosOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012Servicio muy lento. Fuimos tras haber adquirido un gustazo y cobraron el ivu segun el costo en la carta de los alimentos consumidos y no segun el precio real pagado en la oferta como debio ser segun Departamento de Hacienda. Lo mismo ocurrio con las propinas las cuales ademas cargaron automaticamente. Ademas, comida incluida en la oferta fue de poco gusto o calidad. No lo recomendamos.Special Features:
- I've been going to Che's sinceSRA110Dined on 2/26/2012I've been going to Che's since more than 30 years ago, and it's amazing how they never change their fabulous standards. Food is always very good, service is always friendly and efficient, and it's always a great place to have a great lunch or dinner. In my family, and in my wife's family, we always have enjoyed going to Che's for family lunches. Consistently good!Special Features:
- Food was good and the wineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012Food was good and the wine too. The service was exceptional, and we didn't feel rushed at all. Will come back again for sure!
- Servicio pesimo. No se siOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2012Servicio pesimo. No se si por una oferta de descuentos pero la comida tambien me decepciono. Mala idea.
- Nos encanto el lugar, el servicioOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/22/2012Nos encanto el lugar, el servicio desde la entrada en el vallet parking excelente, se lo recomendaria a todo el mundo. La comida estuvo rica, que nos motivo a volver en otra ocasion.Special Features:
- Overall the restaurant wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2012Overall the restaurant was great. It was full of happy customers, family and couples. The food was pretty good and the wine was tasteful. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Filete de A servido por mosos de DOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/16/2012Buen restaurante, la carne asada a la perfeccion, buen sabo, una de los mejores en PR, el servio hay que mejorarloSpecial Features: