New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cherchemidiny.com/
- Phone: 212 226 3055x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Sunday through Wednesday from 5:30pm to 11pm (last reservation at 10:45)
Dinner Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 5:30pm to 12am(Last reservation at 11:45pm)
Cherche Midi is now serving Lunch from Wednesday to Friday 12pm to 3:30pm (Last reservation at 3pm) as well as Brunch on Saturdays and Sundays from 11am to 3:30pm (Last reservation at 3pm).
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Shane McBride and Daniel Parilla
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
A word from Cherche Midi
We are currently booking reservations up to 30 days in advance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cherche Midi reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)hot spot (65)neighborhood gem (58)special occasion (38)good for groups (32)romantic (30)vibrant bar scene (23)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (19)notable wine list (17)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/16/2014This was the most memorable lunch I have had for a long time. Everything was perfect, beginning with the bread, which came with both butter and a small container of salt. Had a lamb sandwich special that was just terrific. Appetizer - parmesan custard - what an unusual idea - and it was great! Service was well meaning but a bit unpolished, but didn't detract at all from the experience - just made it more charming.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and ServicePothedinerVIPDined on 10/14/2014Our first visit and not the last. Outstanding meal. Duck pate appetizer was one of the best I ever had as was the special Duck entree. My wife had the prime rib done just the way she likes it, very rare. Service was outstanding. Our waiter checked with us every few minutes to see if everything was OK. One of the best restaurants we have tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/13/2014The best dining experience I have ever had in NYC. A beautiful space, great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerBathcatDined on 10/12/2014We celebrated our anniversary here recently and enjoyed the excellent cuisine, atmosphere, and service. We ate the frogs' legs, squash salad, skate wing, and prime rib. Everything was delectable. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/9/2014When I first arrived I was not sure it was the right place as it looks like an old diner shack on the outside.. When you enter, the decor is so charming and warm. Very cool high ceilings with a nice design. The service and the food were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait staff outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Extremely attentive wait staff. Very helpful with our 10 month old! Lamb was delicious. Pinot Noir's served by the glass fab.Special Features:
- A little disappointed...MellowYellowDined on 10/3/2014The menu lacked creativity and excitement particularly the entrees. I expected more new dishes. I like to order what I can't do at home. And for a French restaurant the breads could be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood PlacejoiseychowhoundVIPDined on 10/3/2014This place is fine if you are in the neighborhood. Tables are a bit crowded but the service is prompt and professional. Food varies from excellent to quite acceptable. Overall, an enjoyable place but not worth a special trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014We had a great dining experience with superlative food, service and ambiance. The menu was extensive giving the patron a variety of fine dishes to choose from. The steak frites and prime rib were the best we ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a little moreBreadinfranceDined on 9/28/2014The restaurant was lovely. I especially loved the decor. I was a little disappointed in my brunch. I ordered the waffle and expected a larger portion. It was definitely more suitable as a side rather than an entree. All in all it was lovely but I was expecting a little more. Will definitely be returning to sample some desserts though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great simple French brunchlbovVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is a perfect place for a casual Sunday brunch with friends. The lobster omelet along with the eggs benedict were perfectly cooked. The service was also very attentive. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful eveningEVFoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014OK. So this is our fifth time here in two months. We keep bringing friends who haven't been and we get the benefit of eating here quite often. Service continues to be wonderful, and not just the servers. Everyone, from the maitre d's through the busboys. Really professional, friendly and helpful. And the food - the salmon main course and the steak tartare are emerging as among our favorites, but don't forget the side of cauliflower. Can't wait to return, even if it's without any friends.Special Features:
- IncredibleAphowardDined on 9/17/2014Only in NYC for two nights we took considerable care in choosing restaurants during our trip. This restaurant was a slam dunk on all fronts! Not a resturant for those seeking a quiet, intimate meal. Otherwise you can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014a cross between Balthazaar and Pastis with the same of-the-moment buzz they had. Food quite good and service excellent. The staff was attentive and made us feel welcome even tho we were at least 30 years older than the other patrons.would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fine If You Are In The NeighborhoodEjayVIPDined on 9/14/2014The place was trying to be very retro in décor, and may have taken it too far. Looked shabby; rickety furniture. The staff was very professional, and looked after every need before we even had to call them over. The beef in my steak frites was far better than I have had anywhere, but my heirloom tomato salad was downright mushy and uninteresting. The frogs legs, a bit greasy. My friend's muscles looked excellent and he enjoyed them. So not worth a long trip from elsewhere, but I would give it another chance if I were in the vicinity and could get in.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014Very good frogs legs, excellent ribeye burger, amazing cheese desert course, vibrant atmosphere, prompt serverSpecial Features:
- The newestKiffiDined on 9/13/2014Hot spot in NYC! The new Cherche Midi you can go with your eyes closed. Because it belongs by the same owner of Balthazar, the iconic french restaurant at Soho!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great eveningEVFoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014This was our fourth time eating here, and we keep finding new, wonderful things on the menu. The steak frites was absolutely great - the steak was perfectly medium rare (as ordered), tender and flavorful. It was the first visit for our friends who joined us, and they were wowed. They raved about the salmon and whole daurade main courses, and we all loved the side of cauliflower, which must be the largest portion we've ever seen. Service was friendly and professional. For dessert, don't miss the ile flottante (which you don't often find on New York's restaurant menus) and the chocolate espresso pot de creme. Really worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new neighborhood restaurantCyndyDined on 9/12/2014I saw photos on @eatingnyc and thought of trying it right away! It didn't disappoint! A must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazingricanprincessDined on 9/1/2014Literally everything we had was amazing, and we had a couple of picky eaters in the group. Would definitely recommend as they have something for everyone and it's all high quality. The ile flottante was especially delicious - my favorite dessert ever.Special Features:
- Just 'Meh,' But Worth a Second TryEatToLiveVIPDined on 9/1/2014Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was not overly impressed with the overall experience at Mr. McNally's new restaurant. The service felt quite rushed and the prime rib burger was was not exceptional --- although the fries were some of the best I've had. Cocktails were quite inventive, but tasted watered down. On the plus side, I like that they did not cram in too many tables in the former Pulino's space. However, I would give it another try as the negatives can be attributed to new restaurant teething problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs time Food is goodCustomerVIPDined on 8/31/2014They had 50 waiters running around to no avail service was spotty and kitchen was confused manager was not knowledgable on wine list should improve
- As expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014i was a big fan of Pulino's, and after dining at Cherche Midi i was not disappointed. From the seared foie gras, to the Frogs' legs as appetizers, and from the Crozes Hermitage to the burger and the filet Mignon, everything was great. Service is attentive and knowledgeable. the Maitre D' was everywhere, bus boys and runners were friendly and always willing to help. Awesome...just goSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014This restaurant is amazing just to sit in. The food is fantastic and the atmosphere is great. Highly recommended especially for a special occasion!Special Features:
- A very good DiningLouisDined on 8/27/2014it was a true culinary experience. The menu proposed a real treat: I still remember the delicious " summer beans " which provided a great introduction. The lamb was in line with my expectations but its accompaniment of braised beef added to the experience! An courteous service, also with humor, was efficient and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little sister of BalthazarWannesDined on 8/22/2014Nice newcomer at The Bowery. Lovely retro setting, friendly and impeccable service (even wine ordered by the glass can be tasted) and good food. Cherche Midi is quieter than Balthazar and better than Pastis so we'll definitely put it on our list the next time we visit New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChachaDined on 8/21/2014Heard about the restaurant from a friend and decided to try it. We enjoyed are meal, the wait staff was very friendly and helpful in suggesting items from the menu and wine list. Great atmosphere. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful experienceEVFoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2014Can't say enough about how enjoyable our meal(s) have been here. The latest on an early summer Sunday evening, with light streaming into the restaurant. Heirloom tomato salad and vegetable/salami crudites as appetizers, the pasta special (with Swiss chard), hamburger and mussels for mains. And the chocolate espresso pot de creme for dessert. An excellent, made-to-order non-alcoholic mint lemonade. And superb service from Kevin, who really added enormously to the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful experienceEVFoodieVIPDined on 8/3/2014Second time here in two weeks. Must mention the amazingly attentive service. My partner had the mussels, which were wonderful. They brought him a bowl for the shells, which was cleared and replaced while we were eating. Par for the course. But when I tasted the mussels and put shells on my bread plate, that was whisked away and replaced, too. Pretty impressive. And the food... Beet appetizer (with brebis cheese and pistachios) off the regular menu, and special melon salad. Fresh and delicious. Amazingly complex flavors. My main course was the salmon with cumin flavored yogurt. An absolutely wonderful combination. Only disappointment was the special dessert-blueberry tart with ginger infused crust. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but extremely noisy!IsilDined on 8/2/2014The food and the ambiance in this place is great. However, even though we had a reservation, we still had to wait for an hour. Besides I have never had dinner in such a noisy restaurant. Apparently there is something wrong with the acoustics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed everything we had .we had crab cakes,beet salad,lobster ravioli and of course the French fries.highly recommend this restaurent.Special Features:
- FabulousSanssouci165Dined on 7/30/2014Delicious and hip - wait staff attentive and pleasure - winner !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply wonderfulEVFoodieVIPDined on 7/20/2014Every bite was absolutely delicious. Summer bean salad, a crab cake special, the cheeseburger (with great fries) and the daurade. And for dessert, île flottante (a real rarity in New York) and a sublime chocolate espresso pot de crème. Plus delicious bread (and butter). Wonderful, attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service with a smileDiningWith2VIPDined on 7/19/2014Is it really worth my time to review a Keith McNally restaurant? In this case, I think it is. The prime rib burger was terrific. I found it even better than the Black Label burger at Minetta Tavern. The foie gras was delicious served just as a seared liver rather than in a terrine. The cheese course was a pleasure but, as true gluttons, we couldn't leave without the souffle which was also excellent. And finally, as a nod to one of the earlier reviews, we also had Kevin as our server and his recommendations for drinks were spot on. He was helpful without being oppressive. It was just an excellent evening. I hope this place sticks around for a long time even though I plan on coming back soon!Special Features:
- Go Meaty.webdebnycVIPDined on 7/18/2014Shane McBride's expertise lies in the more carnivorous options from this restaurant. Some of the salad/seafood offerings are a bit lackluster, but the great dishes are truly great. Go for the fois, the burger, the prime rib, the roasted cauliflower, the souffle. http://followthechefnyc.blogspot.com/2014/07/cherche-midi.htmlSpecial Features:
- typical mcnally = awesomeprincessnellVIPDined on 7/14/2014We happened to be here for dinner on Bastille Day and the place was calm but buzzy - a notable celebrity was at the next table. Service and food were excellent. Decor is standard McNally bistro, with white tiles and warm light. Loved this take on French bistro food - the cold cauliflower soup with caviar (a special, I think) and the burger were stand-outs, but we liked everything we tried. Looking forward to a repeat visit.Special Features:
- zero complaints! outstanding exp!hungrykittyVIPDined on 7/13/2014took a friend there to celebrate her bday on her last night in nyc after experiencing some horrible customer service at some of my usually good spots. got lucky with resos and decided to try cherche midi. service was FLAWLESS. food was beautifully prepared and taste was phenomenal. cannot say enough good things and this never happens so had to go out of my way to let the manager know about my experience. our server, Kevin, was attentive (without being disruptive) and was helpful with our selections. will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Balthazaar reduxMarysDadVIPDined on 7/11/2014Food is really good and service is terrific. No real must haves on the menu however. Burger was good not great. Chicken good not great. Most memorable for me, oddly, were green market salad with perfect mustardy vinaigrette and super cheese course. Also liked reasonably priced wine options. Thought some of the first course choices in high teens were pricey. Doorman was very unnecessary and sort of odd for casual bistro. Crowd was older reflecting the prices which is another consideration. I'll be back.
- Good experience at New RestaurantFoodloversDined on 7/4/2014This is a new restaurant in my n eighborhood. The food was excellent as was the service. I wold recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the Cherche Midi reviews archive.