New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cherchemidiny.com/
- Phone: (212) 226-3055
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Sunday through Wednesday from 5:30pm to 11pm (last reservation at 10:45)
Dinner Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 5:30pm to 12am(Last reservation at 11:45pm)
Cherche Midi is now serving Lunch from Monday to Friday 12pm to 3:30pm (Last reservation at 3pm) as well as Brunch on Saturdays and Sundays from 11am to 3:30pm (Last reservation at 3pm).
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Shane McBride and Daniel Parilla
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar
A word from Cherche Midi
We are currently booking reservations up to 30 days.Continued
Please join us for Lunch, Monday through Friday from 12pm to 3:30pm as well as Brunch, Saturday and Sunday from 11am to 3:30pm.
Please join us for Lunch, Monday through Friday from 12pm to 3:30pm as well as Brunch, Saturday and Sunday from 11am to 3:30pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cherche Midi reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)hot spot (84)neighborhood gem (79)special occasion (46)great for brunch (46)good for groups (42)romantic (41)great for lunch (35)vibrant bar scene (33)notable wine list (29)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (11)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- DonnaVIPDined on 11/23/2014I really enjoyed my dinner. The staff was very welcoming and helpful, and the food delicious. I love the ambiance of the room. It is warm and spacious, and although the tables are fairly close together and the restaurant was full, we did not feel crowded and had no difficulty carrying on a conversation, which is important to me. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb as alwaysIBBBDined on 11/23/2014Cherche is constantly serving superb food and the level of service is consistently in top form. We had brunch Sunday and again was impressed with their attention to detail. They are constantly upping their game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!RP77Dined on 11/17/2014Service and food was impeccable, can't wait to come back for the pot de fromage and chicken liver pate....unbelievable!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sold out of everything.KarenNDined on 11/12/2014We were a party of three. Two of us had already decided we wanted the prime rib. Once we were seated and drinks ordered our server advised us that the prime rib was sold out. That was very disappointing but we decided to stay. All the specials were provided. Once we ordered our revised dinners and the third person picked the venison special. After several minutes a separate employee came to our table to advise that the venison was gone as well. Out of three of us, none of us got our first choice. Our server was difficult to understand and the noise level is too high making normal conversation difficult. For a $300 meal we were disappointed.
- GOOD DINING IN NOLITALarryVIPDined on 11/11/2014Our party had a very enjoyable dinner before off Broadway theatre nearby. First course selections were more varied than the main courses. It's hard to find frogs' legs in New York, but these were outstanding, Salads also were very nicely done. The salmon main course over lentils with a touch of cumin was individually prepared for the rare or well done requests of our table, not always easily accomplished. The skate with the bone in seemed to be a problem dish for us and friends who recently dined here. Nice atmosphere and wait staff!Special Features:
- McNally does it again!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/9/2014If you are looking for either a hip/romantic yet fancy atmosphere with DELICIOUS french bistro food, Cherce Midi has it all. I have been eating in McNally's restaurants for the past 14 years and every meal ceases to amaze me. Suggestions: Spicy Bloody Mary Prime Rib Burger -Everything is probably deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking goodhsvtkDined on 11/8/2014A real bistro in downtown New York. You enter to a well lit room with an awesome bar on the left that is staffed by attentive bartenders. We waited only a few minutes to be seated.. The waitress gave us plenty of time to talk and think about what we wanted to eat and clearly explained the dishes in question. Food arrived promptly and was beautifully presented and tasted great. The appetizers were perfect, the pate was robust, the salads dressed to properly. The mains were really outstanding, skate meuniere was lemony and cooked well, the chicken was delightful and the whole fish and risotto were done just right. A delightful dining experience, good food, nice buzz and the carafe of wine for $18 was quite drinkable.Special Features:
- dfm225Dined on 11/8/2014Lively restaurant, good food, good service. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itSR12Dined on 11/7/2014A mini Balthezar.Felt like you were dining in a lovely Paris bistro.Service was perfect,but not over the top formal.Food was great.And in general,the place had a nice,happy buzz. One thought,maybe a few more choices on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bisto McNally StyleTonyVIPDined on 11/6/2014When it comes to bistros, Terrance McNally has the formula down pat. The food, service, vibe are all at a level that one would expect at a vibrant high quality French bistro in Paris. This is a place that is popular, noisy or energetic as Open Table calls it, but if you don't mind the volume and the small space between tables, is a pleasant place for a simple meal.Special Features:
- Pleasant ParisianJoanVIPDined on 11/5/2014Most memorable is the service, gracious, just the right amount of attention without undue intrusion. Steak frites was outstanding, wine less so, dessert fine. Room has a Parisian ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid brasserie-type placeBrunchLover123VIPDined on 11/2/2014Well prepared food, buzzing ambiance (lively, but not quiet), solid service.Special Features:
- Outstanding Addition, One Big IssueOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/2/2014Cherche Midi lives up to its nascent reputation. The service is almost outstanding, the waitress was friendly, informative and helpful, and the hostess was equally wonderful. The ambience is close to pitch perfect. However, we ran into a major problem-a pregnant member of our party needed her burger to be prepared well done for health reasons-although communicated to the waitress, the kitchen sent the dish out medium cooked. Instead of remaking the dish, the kitchen burned the burger and returned it.There was no charge for the dish, and the hostess apologized for the initial mix up very graciously, but the resolution-having the dish re-cooked to oblivion was a real sour point in the evening. It had been a dish we were excited about.Special Features:
- Deserves NY Times 3 star ratingOccasionaldinerDined on 11/1/2014We have not always agreed with the ratings given by the New York Times often finding ourselves disappointed, particularly by the food, at restaurants highly rated by the paper. On this occasion Pete Wells was pretty much spot on. We very much enjoyed our dinner here. Service was excellent, even over attentive. The food was very good -- two of us had steak frites and two had short ribs. The noise level was high but not to the point where conversation became impossible. We would certainly return.Special Features:
- Mehjb2bVIPDined on 11/1/2014Had high expectations for this place, but it's like one of those places in Paris that looks good from the street but ultimately leaves you feeling unsatisfied. You would be better off just hitting some old neighborhood diner. This place is neither trendy nor classic; just very mediocre.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/31/2014A little weak on the wine pours by the glass, but the cocktails are great. This is a really fun place for dinner especially if you like the Pastis restaurant in the meatpacking district.Special Features:
- Excellent for adults!LieslDined on 10/31/2014This is a wonderful restaurant for grown ups, for people who want to talk while they dine on good food. The service is attentive but not intrusive. A little bit of tradition and Europe in NYC.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014First Time going there and it definitely is all it's talked up to beSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No PastisR123Dined on 10/25/2014While Pastis was never a mecca for foodies, the food was always good and the place was always fun. This restaurant is not fun, just loud. It doesn't have the charm (albeit manufacturered) of Pastis. The much praised prime rib was a disappointment. Everything else was just Ok. At least the prices are not astronomical.Special Features:
- A slice of Paris on the BoweryFlorieDined on 10/23/2014Step away from the noisy gritty corner of Bowery & Houston into the brasserie like atmosphere of Cherche Midi to taste as fabulous cooking as you might at a highly rated Parisian restaurant. A recent Thursday evening it was packed with a casual crowd relishing their meals. Service was warm and plentiful.Special Features:
- Lovely and cozyNickDined on 10/23/2014Cozy romantic atmosphere with yummy menu options, perfect for low key downtown chic aficionados who prefer charm over flash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another WinnerUnhappydinerDined on 10/22/2014Yes the Balthazar group has scored another winner. Every aspect of this restaurant was exceptional. Food, service, ambience and very important no loud music.Special Features:
- Great FindfoodievickieVIPDined on 10/22/2014We went here as a NYTimes review said it was quiet. It was not quiet! But the food is excellent and the service could not be better. Great mussels!Special Features:
- Cherche MidiAMMFDined on 10/22/2014I have been wanting to go to Cherche Midi for awhile but wasn't able to get a reservation. Finally we were able to get a 5:30 reservation on Wednesday. The food was delsih and atmosphere was lovely. Not sure what all the hype is for but still was a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/16/2014This was the most memorable lunch I have had for a long time. Everything was perfect, beginning with the bread, which came with both butter and a small container of salt. Had a lamb sandwich special that was just terrific. Appetizer - parmesan custard - what an unusual idea - and it was great! Service was well meaning but a bit unpolished, but didn't detract at all from the experience - just made it more charming.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and ServicePothedinerVIPDined on 10/14/2014Our first visit and not the last. Outstanding meal. Duck pate appetizer was one of the best I ever had as was the special Duck entree. My wife had the prime rib done just the way she likes it, very rare. Service was outstanding. Our waiter checked with us every few minutes to see if everything was OK. One of the best restaurants we have tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/13/2014The best dining experience I have ever had in NYC. A beautiful space, great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerBathcatDined on 10/12/2014We celebrated our anniversary here recently and enjoyed the excellent cuisine, atmosphere, and service. We ate the frogs' legs, squash salad, skate wing, and prime rib. Everything was delectable. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Price BrunchChanukhaVIPDined on 10/12/2014Another typical French bistro, and I would have to say Keith McNally edges out Andrew Carmellini on the food but not the decor. Bit pricey for brunch but I figure that's you have to pay to eat in the city these days. Oppose to Pulino's open layout, the restaurant feels closed in, and can't say it's a time/space warp to Paris. I feel I'm in Bowery.
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/9/2014When I first arrived I was not sure it was the right place as it looks like an old diner shack on the outside.. When you enter, the decor is so charming and warm. Very cool high ceilings with a nice design. The service and the food were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait staff outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Extremely attentive wait staff. Very helpful with our 10 month old! Lamb was delicious. Pinot Noir's served by the glass fab.Special Features:
- A little disappointed...MellowYellowDined on 10/3/2014The menu lacked creativity and excitement particularly the entrees. I expected more new dishes. I like to order what I can't do at home. And for a French restaurant the breads could be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood PlacejoiseychowhoundVIPDined on 10/3/2014This place is fine if you are in the neighborhood. Tables are a bit crowded but the service is prompt and professional. Food varies from excellent to quite acceptable. Overall, an enjoyable place but not worth a special trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2014We had a great dining experience with superlative food, service and ambiance. The menu was extensive giving the patron a variety of fine dishes to choose from. The steak frites and prime rib were the best we ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a little moreBreadinfranceDined on 9/28/2014The restaurant was lovely. I especially loved the decor. I was a little disappointed in my brunch. I ordered the waffle and expected a larger portion. It was definitely more suitable as a side rather than an entree. All in all it was lovely but I was expecting a little more. Will definitely be returning to sample some desserts though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great simple French brunchlbovVIPDined on 9/21/2014This is a perfect place for a casual Sunday brunch with friends. The lobster omelet along with the eggs benedict were perfectly cooked. The service was also very attentive. Would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful eveningEVFoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014OK. So this is our fifth time here in two months. We keep bringing friends who haven't been and we get the benefit of eating here quite often. Service continues to be wonderful, and not just the servers. Everyone, from the maitre d's through the busboys. Really professional, friendly and helpful. And the food - the salmon main course and the steak tartare are emerging as among our favorites, but don't forget the side of cauliflower. Can't wait to return, even if it's without any friends.Special Features:
- IncredibleAphowardDined on 9/17/2014Only in NYC for two nights we took considerable care in choosing restaurants during our trip. This restaurant was a slam dunk on all fronts! Not a resturant for those seeking a quiet, intimate meal. Otherwise you can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014a cross between Balthazaar and Pastis with the same of-the-moment buzz they had. Food quite good and service excellent. The staff was attentive and made us feel welcome even tho we were at least 30 years older than the other patrons.would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Fine If You Are In The NeighborhoodEjayVIPDined on 9/14/2014The place was trying to be very retro in décor, and may have taken it too far. Looked shabby; rickety furniture. The staff was very professional, and looked after every need before we even had to call them over. The beef in my steak frites was far better than I have had anywhere, but my heirloom tomato salad was downright mushy and uninteresting. The frogs legs, a bit greasy. My friend's muscles looked excellent and he enjoyed them. So not worth a long trip from elsewhere, but I would give it another chance if I were in the vicinity and could get in.Special Features: