Chena's Alaskan Grill
4200 Boat Street
Fairbanks, AK 99709Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Chena's Alaskan Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chenas.net/
- Phone: 9074743644
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:00pm.
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jameson Kapec
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: George Park
- Public Transit: YELLOW LINE / Metropolitan Area Commuter System - MACS : Bus Stop just outside on Boat Street is between stops 3 and 4 and runs Monday through Saturday (No Sunday Service)
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Free off street parking outside Chena's & River's Edge Resort.
A word from Chena's Alaskan Grill
Chena's features delicious cuisine in an early 1900s décor. Our specialty is fresh seasonal Alaskan wild salmon and halibut. We also feature a variety of beef, chicken, and pasta dishes, salads, and Alaskan favorites as well as an extensive selection of wines. Chena's with 3 dining choices: Inside in our comfortable dining room, Outdoor covered veranda, Outdoor sun deck overlooking the Chena River. Or, visit our pub located inside the dining room for a frosty cold or deliciously hot drink. We're known for our delicious menu and delightful setting!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Chena's Alaskan Grill - Best Restaurants in Fairbanks ›
Chena's Alaskan Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (40)scenic view (38)special occasion (24)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (14)romantic (13)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- outstandingsherrybDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and service. Love dining by the river. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent evening dinnerBerniesweekendDined on 9/6/2014The chef does and excellent job putting together a variety of dishes. The wait staff are very pleasant and friendly. Have made future reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good timeLovefood907Dined on 9/6/2014I had Halibut Olympia. Delish!!! The brown rice with it was aweful :( the peanut butter brownie on special was pretty horrible. I love this place but it has it's ups and downs. I'll be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightFairbankswifeyDined on 8/30/2014Expensive restaurant, very touristy. Locals like to go for a romantic dinner and drinks. It's a little disappointing when you go out with spouse for dinner without the kids (pay for a babysitter) and then there are toddlers in the restaurant, kinda ruins the mood. Because there is a very obvious bar in the restaurant I was not expecting to see and hear a handful of little ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerAKwildchildDined on 8/18/2014We've been to Chena's before and wanted to give it a second chance for our anniversary, primarily for the river view. The first time we went in 2013, the service was slow, but the place was packed, so we understood. This time, the service was still very slow (we were sat and forgot about for about 10 minutes) and it wasn't that busy. They were extremely nice though and comped two deserts, one for our anniversary and the other for making us wait so long for everything. The food was ok. We had coconut shrimp (doesn't need the rice, but delish), the spinach crab dip (canned spinach :/), split an apple walnut salad (very plain), a pasta special and the stroganoff (both, ok). The desserts were great (chocolate mousse and blueberry cobbler)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodConnieODined on 8/17/2014Chena's is always good and has an extensive menu with lots of choices. I had one of the specials of the night, salmon with a Moroccan spice rub. It was delicious but very salty. I don't mind salty, so that was OK with me. The accompanying roasted baby potatoes were especially delicious.Special Features:
- A real treat!DaveDined on 8/17/2014I have been visiting Fairbanks regularly for 4 years and eaten at most of its restaurants. I just dined at Chena's Alaskan Grill for the first time and will be back whenever my trips allow. I have not had a better chowder this side of Providence. My wife and I split the bruschetta but it was so wonderful that I'm getting my own next time. I really liked the variety of the menu and can't wait to try more of the entrees. The service was attentive and our waitress went out of her way to understand our food allergies and ensure we were able to enjoy our meal. Most of my visits to Fairbanks fall in the wintertime - my loss since Chena is open only in summers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I have celebrated our anniversary every year for the past 4 years at the Grill. We have always had a great experience with the food and service and look forward to making it our special place to go for that yearly celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great setting, fine foodPiriegDined on 8/12/2014Family group of 7, ages 4 to 73, had excellent food, cheerful server attentive to kid's needs, and scrumptious desserts enhoyed by all.Special Features:
- Delicious outdoor diningAAL08Dined on 8/9/2014The menu is creative and the service is good. You can sit outside, either on the deck alongside the Chena River when the weather cooperates, or on the covered veranda. On the pricey side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeAlaskanDined on 8/8/2014I have lived in Fairbanks for 20 plus years, and for some reason, never made it to Chean's until Friday night. I took my wife out on a date. We ate outside on their deck, which is right on the river. Nice view. It was a sunny day. The service was good, and the food was just as good. Would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food in FairbanksLocalGuyDined on 8/4/2014Food was very good as was the service. Raining when we were there, but in the sunshine the view should be really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, service & setting!JviolettDined on 8/2/2014I can't believe I have never eaten here until this pasted weekend!! Our food was perfect. The mashed potatoes were the best I've ever had and the cheesecake.... Oh my the cheesecake was amazing! Perfectly cooked (firm but not brown). The service was outstanding and I never had an empty glass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!paulDined on 7/25/2014We love everything about this restaurant. Great food and great service...love sitting outside with the view of the river when the weather permits...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in FairbanksCindyDined on 7/21/2014Best we found in Fairbanks, great food, nice quiet atmosphere, excellent service, friendly staff, all you could ask for. I would definitely recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceJimboDined on 7/18/2014Dined here for my 45 th wedding anniversary and everything was perfect. The friendly wait staff and wonderful food combined with the ambiance of dining of the scenic Chena river made for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- BPartyDined on 7/9/2014Was looking for a good restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday. Chena's was very good. Food was excellent. As the night progressed service became slower as the restaurant filled. Everyone was friendly.Special Features:
- Nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Very good food. Very nice place.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnSpecial Features:
- Fantastic Food & Wine / Subpar SvcYuhasDined on 6/27/2014Fresh basil in the bread dip. Can ride our bikes there. Great deck when hot. Noisy inside. Staff are in a hurry. Water boy constantly asking to refil, but hard to get noticed or learn specials / soup. No suggestions. No mention of salads, or asking if we want appetizers. "Get 'em in and get 'em out" was not expected for the high price. The food was absolutely fantastic and the wine list is great- but you'll have to navigate the menu yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paulDined on 6/22/2014The deck overlooking the river makes for a great dining experience on a suuny day. It is great for conversation as it is a quiet place overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our anniversaryLoloDined on 6/20/2014We enjoyed your dinning. We would've sat outside but yucky weather so we sat at the window. Busy but service was good. Husbands steak was over cooked but server took it and gave him another one that was much better but we didn't really get to eat together...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairbanks GemjaxdaughertyDined on 6/10/2014I didn't want to do the Alaskan Salmon Bake which is suggested by many of the hotel clerks. ( When pressed they admit it is geared for the tourist bus crowd) or the pubs. We checked the Open table reviews and found Chena's Alaskan Grill located Rivers edge cottages. Citrus and herb spiced wild Copper River salmon on a bed wild rice with steamed vegetables. , every thing prepared fresh, cooked to bring out the flavor of the salmon. Moist & flavorful. The waiter: William was one of the hardest working waiters I have had is a long time. He was knowledgeable with none of the haughtiness you encounter all too often, and he worked quickly. He seemed to be attentive without being over bearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravelersJOGManVIPDined on 6/4/2014We happened onto this place by staying next door in a Rv park. The food is great and the setting is outstanding. They could improve on training the staff with better customer service. I would recommend this Restraunt if in the areaSpecial Features:
- RalphDined on 5/24/2014This was the best dining experience that we had while visiting Alaska. The food was wonderful and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Best food in Fairbanks, AKfood2die4Dined on 5/23/2014We wait patiently every spring for this restaurant to open and eat there as much as we possibly can during their open season. The food is spectacular, and their service is wonderful. Dining here is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our seasonal favoriteLoveGoodFoodDined on 5/16/2014Every year we wait for Chena Alaska Grill to reopen in May. We make it a point to dine there at least once/month from May to September. Food is always superior; with imaginative presentation. When the weather cooperates, it is a wonderful place to dine on the deck overlooking the Chena River. We enjoy everything about dining at the Chena Alaska Grill from the food to the ambience to the service. Whether you are a visitor to our city, or a long-time resident, treat yourself to this superb restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 2 reviews are from the Chena's Alaskan Grill reviews archive.
- It's okFeedmerightDined on 5/11/2014I had fillet steak ordered medium rare, small but nice piece of meat but over cooked (came out medium) also very bland like it was cooked on an electric grill with no seasoning, this restaurant is nice but pricey, it's not my favorite place to eat in fairbanks but with limited restaurants we go there for a change from time to time, and it's only open for the tourist season. We will go back mabe two more times this season.Special Features: