260 Old Woodward Avenue
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chenchow.com/
- Phone: 2485942469
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,(last reservations available at 10:00pm), Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, (last reservations available at 11:00pm), Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am (last reservations available at 12:00pm), Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm (last reservations available at 10:00pm).
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Matthew Dalton
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Ask us about our incredible Catering options! Please email us directly at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Tracy Wilson 2485942469
- Special Events: If you are interested in any Private Dining Events of 20 guests or more, please contact Tracy Wilson @ firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Chen Chow
Chen Chow Brasserie, showcased on Old Woodward in downtown Birmingham, is a warm, contemporary bistro providing an intimate connection between cuisine & architecture that stimulates all the senses. Chen Chow's Eurasian eclectic cuisine by Executive Chef Ryan Porter is punctuated of intense flavors from worldly ingredients that promise to heighten the palette. Chen Chow's decor immerses the guest with contrasting moods & textures creating an intimate, sexy & modern atmosphere. Chen Chow's open floor plan features bamboo walls & dramatic chandeliers as sophisticated as it is comfortable. Chen Chow's wine cellar boasts 1,500 bottles from California, France, Italy, & more with more than 20 selections are available by the glass. Chen Chow also features an extensive martini list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chen Chow reviews from OpenTable diners
- overratedFeedMeDined on 6/15/2013uninspired and overpriced. the salmon was fine, I suppose, but nothing special while the side ( a fritter of some kind) seemed like a hushpuppy from Long John Silvers.
- Love sushiLaytraDined on 6/14/2013Sushi was excellent and the staff was extremely helpful and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Big ChangePdotDined on 6/1/2013I have been to chen chow many times. However this time was a different experiance, one that i was not happy with. Our server was nice, however was not checking on us enough. Our appetizers came out seperate, as well as our entres. We were waiting for a good 30 minutes between the appetizer for our entres. We were waiting a good 20 minutes to get the bill as our server did not check up on us. I tracked down another server who then got our bill for us.Special Features:
- It isn't Nobu, but still goodRandizzle64VIPDined on 5/25/2013While a more expansive menu would be helpful, what they do serve is always high quality and very tasty. If you go in on a weekend, there is a lot of energy, which makes it a fun place to go. it isn't quite the scene it once was, but i still enjoy dropping in every once in a while. The chef works at being creative, which i consider a huge plus. However, i feel a few more interesting items would help a lot, as others have struggled finding something that they were in the mood for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Excellent ServicePeteVIPDined on 5/17/2013Our first trip...EXCELLENT! The food and service were both first rate. Miso Sea Bass and Halibut main courses were outstanding as well as the Sea Weed Salad. Menu is varied and if all are as good as our fish selections, you will be wowed! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check your notesRichDined on 5/16/2013Everything was great except for one thing that was very crucial. I had written a note for my reservation that it was going to be a surprise for my girlfriend that her friends were going to show up at 9-930pm the waiter had brought the bill out before that so my girlfriend was expecting to leave after and I had to stall her by making up excuses. Not a big deal just annoying. Other than that everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food with shortOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Very good food with short waiting and helpful staffSpecial Features:
- Broad menu of quality dishesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013Broad menu of quality dishes served by an attentive an knowledgeable waiter "Robert".Special Features:
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2013We had reservations for two and had requested a booth. When we arrived, the place was half empty and the receptionist put as at a completely open table for four. Hello? Some items on the on-line menu were also not on the menu when we arrived. The tuna entree was very disappointing. I'm not sure what changed but it was not nearly as good an experience as the last time, so I doubt I'll be back.Special Features:
- Second VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/23/2013This was our second visit and we were again very pleased with the food, service and atmosphere in this restaurant
- Excellent sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2013Really enjoyed the food. It was a very pleasant experience. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- A great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/9/2013Had such a great dinner at Chen Chow. The atmosphere is comfortable and upscale. The food was fresh, delicious and interesting. So happy to have an Asian fusion option in Birmingham!Special Features:
- First time at Chen ChowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013Something unexpected and completely off guard happened to me, I met someone who just moved to the area from California and asked her out. I was extremely excited about the date! I heard many good things about Chen Chow and decided that this would be a good place for us. I liked the restaurant a lot, the only thing I was not crazy about was the food. As a passionate chinese food fan, I felt the dishes were based more on appearance than actual taste or portions. I ordered a fancy chicken dish (which was very expensive), but it was more like giant slices of chicken with a sauce on top of the chicken. It seemed to me that there was just not enough popular, traditional chinese food dishes on the menu. I will come again, however.Special Features:
- Great experienceBVDinerVIPDined on 3/2/2013We had never been before and found the staff VERY knowledgeable (and VERy helpful). Food was great!Special Features:
- The service was top notch,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/2/2013The service was top notch, our waiter was outstanding.Special Features:
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/24/2013Very romantic. The food taste great. Date Night for my husband & I.Special Features:
- First of all, I am not sureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013First of all, I am not sure why the blast techno music on a Saturday evening when people are trying to enjoy dinner. I realize this place turns into a club on Fridays, but that is specifically why we didn't go on a Friday. As far as the food goes, it was a total salt bomb. The pork dish my boyfriend got was pretty much inedible. My Tuna was alright, but the crust was crazy salty as well. Our dessert tasted like nothing. As a person who sold Godiva, I can say that the Godiva cake was either old or not Godiva at all. Our waitress was nice enough, but she disappeared often. The only good thing about our meal was that we had a gift card and bought a nice bottle of wine. We won't be going back.
- Beware hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/14/2013Hostess was rude. Forgot we were there for an hour then tried to blame on us. Manager never came to apologize. Shocked at how poor the service was for a 'nice' restaurant.
- Great food. Good drinks.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013This was my wife and I's first time dining here. Upon entering the restaurant, memories of the various restaurants we frequented in downtown Chicago came to mind. Then the hostess had us follow her to our table... which was the biggest let down of the evening. We ended up passing the really cool looking tables to be seated in what is obviously a banquet style room. It was set up with two-person tables all the way around (the 100 Sq Ft room). We were both pretty unimpressed with that, even the bar area looked to have better ambiance. All that being said, the food was great. Next time we go we'll know to specifically ask for seating.Special Features:
- Great food and service. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013Great food and service. We got a 6pm reservation because OpenTable said 7pm was not available however at 7 it was not even half full. Also they gave us a small table in the aisle way when almost all of their nice booths were open. We didn't really care but it seems they limit what's available for reservations through OpenTable. I'd recommend calling if the time you want isn't available here.Special Features:
- The service was superb, theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/12/2013The service was superb, the food was wonderful. We tried the shrimp dumplings, firecracker rolls and short rib ravioli for appetizers and all three were wonderful. The sea bass and the filet were cooked to perfection and the accompaniments complimented the dish well. Would definitely return!Special Features:
- Great sushi. Never on FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013Great sushi. Never on Friday night however. The bar scene and noise level in the restaurant was overwhelming and detracted from the excellent food. Server was overworked though competent.
- Food was great, wine selectionBryantfamDined on 1/26/2013Food was great, wine selection was only ok. The bill is always a shock. Very expensive.Special Features:
- Service was attentive, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/19/2013Service was attentive, but food was slow in coming. Nice variety of foods with sushi, sashimi, nigiri, as well as more traditional fare done in Asian style. I had the filet in an Asian pepper sauce, it was very good. Overall the food is very good quality and choice. Ambiance is great with low lighting and comfortable seating, not too loud. Somewhat pricey, so I would save this for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Quality has gone downkellydeleoDined on 1/19/2013A few months ago we dined at Chen Chow and it was fantastic! We were raving about the quality of the food to our friends. Everything we ordered off the menu was delicious. This time around it was unfortunatley a different experience. We ordered many of the same items we ordered last time and they tasted very different, not as well prepared. The short rib ravioli's for example were are absolute favorite and they came out tasting undercooked. The food was fair, but for the prices and for what we know Chen Chow has done in the past we left a bit dissapointed. Not to mention it seemed to take forever for our first round apps to come out. After the second experience I am not sure if we will dine back or not.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/19/2013The food was excellent and the ambiance was great. The only slight minus was the smores dessert, it was a little bit dry. Overall excellent place to eat.Special Features:
- Way too expensive for whatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2013Way too expensive for what it is! Nice ambiance but food is mediocre and way overpriced!
- Some of the best food we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 1/12/2013Some of the best food we've had in a while. Service was a little slow because they were so busy, but the food was worth the wait.Special Features:
- A nice way to spend New Years EveRandizzle64VIPDined on 12/31/2012Having dined at so many top Asian fusion restaurants around the country, I have very high expectations. I tend to compare every element of the experience to places like Nobu. While Chen Chow has never had the variety and ultimate creativity of the best of the best, they do a very good job, leaving many options for non-foodies. It is a place you can take your kids, or go later, and have a date night. A favorite with my family.Special Features:
- Great wat to ring in the New YearOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012I had read previous reviews and was a little concerned that the service and food were not going to be better than average but I was pleasently surprised. The waiter we had was extremely knowledgable regarding the menue and the food he was recommending. The services was spot on and fast. I had one of the best Filet I have had in a long time. I really liked the decor but they are going to freshen it up in 2013. I will be going back soon.Special Features:
- Great sushi and fun appetizers.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2012Great sushi and fun appetizers. Slow on taking drink orders; otherwise, perfect night out.Special Features:
- Have not been to Chen Chowjohnnyg411Dined on 12/22/2012Have not been to Chen Chow in a year or so for dinner... terrible Waiter had too many tables and would disappear for long periods of time. Food took a long long time to come... even a cappuccino after dinner took forever. Bus staff was awful. Hardly ever came around to fill water, would take silverware with plates and not replace so when more food came we had no untensils. At one point, one of them asked us to help stack plates in his hand so he could carry them all. Food was very average and we spent over $300 on dinner for 5 people (3 kids). Should have known better when we were able to get a reservation 30 min before on a saturday night.
- it a great place to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012it a great place to celebrate birthday parties. great atmosphere and staff are classy and very attentive. loves the sake and wine list and the prices are very reasonable. i had the duck and it was incredible and amazingly flavorful.Special Features:
- We were looking forward toDobberDined on 12/16/2012We were looking forward to visiting Chen Chow. Unfortunately, our experience was rather poor. We arrived at 6:00pm on a Sunday evening with a reservation Hostess was not at her station, and it took 10 minutes to get seated. Another 10 minutes to be greeted by a server. 15 minutes until our drinks arrived. We were just starting our sushi rolls, which by the way were the best part of the meal, when our entrees arrived. We didn't see our server again for at least 20 minutes, so our water glasses were never refilled, nor did we get an opportunity to order a second glass of wine. We obviously passed on her offer when she did show up asking about dessert. All in all for a relatively expensive meal,it was a dissapointment.
- Restaurant was empty on aOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/10/2012Restaurant was empty on a Monday night. Sushi was average at best.
- Amazing presentations, excellent,GeoffNVIPDined on 11/30/2012Amazing presentations, excellent, interesting fusion dishes.Special Features:
- CharlesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012We had a good experience. Table was ready, on time. Server was very thorough and attentive., professional and friendly. I had sea bass., very good. 2 from our group had the short ribs. No complaints. Observation, a previous customer mentioned the wait staff pushes the highest priced items. True. Forewarned is for armed. I would absolutely return and recommend.Special Features:
- way too expensive for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2012way too expensive for food that was very good, but not at that price. it was beautiful though.
- The only thing that savedlikeserviceDined on 11/14/2012The only thing that saved this restaurant was the hot sauces! Food was bland and service worse.Special Features:
- Went on a Tuesday, so theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/13/2012Went on a Tuesday, so the atmosphere was notably different than the weekend-which was nice. My date and I had a nice quiet table. The lighting was low and it was kind of romantic. Service was good, not great. It was not very busy, so I didn't expect to have to wait to be asked if I wanted another drink or for the drink to come. The food was excellent. We had edamame to start, shrimp dumplings and two sushi rolls - all were great. My only real complaint is the price - drink prices are on par with Chicago or New York. I paid $12 for an Old Fashioned with a relatively stingy pour. And $7 for edamane is a bit much - I mean, come one, they are steamed soy beans. I had a Groupon and probably won't go back without one given the price.Special Features: