Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.chefs-station.com/
- Phone: 8475709821x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Thursday 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Friday and Saturday 5:00 to 10:00 PM
Sunday 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Romero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please go to our Events page on the website for all the details concerning special events like holidays. We look forward to seeing you!
- Cross Street: Maple and Davis (Entrance North on Maple)
- Public Transit: Metra Davis Street Stop
CTA Purple Line Davis Street Stop
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We honor parking at the garage on the corner of Davis and Benson Street located a half of a block East of the restaurant.
A word from Chef's Station
The perfect juxtaposition of lighthearted attitude and intense flavor in an atmosphere that proves fine dining doesn’t have to be uptight.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Chef's Station - Best Restaurants in Evanston ›
Chef's Station reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (27)romantic (15)notable wine list (12)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- GoldieDined on 10/17/2014Chef's Station is one of the best restaurants in Evanston and North Shore, if you are looking for a place quiet enough for conversation, and a lovely ambience. We frequest it 3 or 4 times a year, usually for special occassions or with special friends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Always a wonderful place for a quiet dinner; excellent service and the food was fresh, wonderfully prepared and served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding foodartistadrienneDined on 10/11/2014probably the best rack of lamb I ever had. My husband's salmon was the best he has ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice quiet gemjazzzfanVIPDined on 10/3/2014Great seasonal flavors, well prepared, very attentive service. Pleasant, quiet setting. Will definitely be back - one of the best in Evanston. Would love to see elk on the menu - would seem to fit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food and fantastic serviceMrsADined on 9/27/2014We thoughougly enjoyed Chef's Station! The food was amazing and service impeccable. It was a mellow, quieter place so good when you really want to talk and hear you dinner companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/27/2014Mediocre food. Terrible service. Waited 30 min for bread and water!
- Great mealNeighborVIPDined on 9/24/2014The food was wonderful - the lamb chops best ever and the halibut great with a delicious preparation. The room update was welcomed, and service was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!TyroneCSVIPDined on 9/18/2014Really enjoyed our evening here! Great food and service, special atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surly waitersfdrVIPDined on 9/14/2014A waiter with a really bad attitude and bad whitefish means we cross this one off our list.
- DrHockeyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Delicious food, beautifully presently -- actually, picture worthy.Special Features:
- Date nightBobbobDined on 9/9/2014We are never disappointed. We sat outside and enjoyed the energy of the citySpecial Features:
- Winner on all countsFoodloverDined on 9/5/2014Chef's Station is consistently outstanding. The cuisine has never disappointed us. It 's always fresh, perfectly prepared and artistically presented. It's definitely worth the drive to Evanston.Special Features:
- BruinDined on 8/30/2014Great fun and service but bad cooling and disappointing physical presence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes, we would returngreenthumbVIPDined on 8/30/2014We Found Chef Station(CS) on Open Table. Overall it was a very good experience. When dining on a Saturday night in Evanston, I usually dress on the casual (colored jeans, sweater/scarf) - side. CS had a mix of dress styles, - like it hasn't found its niche: women in Eileen Fisher type outfits, elderly couples in coat tie/dress, couples in their 40s wearing summer dresses, me in my summer pants. The evening we were there (7:00)most diners were on the mature side( 60+). Food- excellent. Halibut was perfection. Waiter was very attentive As a 50+ woman with tinnitus, I really appreciated how quite the restaurant was- we could easily hear each other :)Special Features:
- Truly an enjoyable dinnerNUFANVIPDined on 8/28/2014We are repeat customers and do plan on returning soon. Great service. A very good beer was enjoyed. Meal was outstanding. And if you love dessert, try the turtle sundae. A standard on the menu and worth indulging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!Mari0477Dined on 8/24/2014One of the best meals we ever had, as was the previous meal we had here. And we have been to Le Francaise, Everest, Tru, Girl & the Goat, etc., etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice suburban spotBillinBostonDined on 8/23/2014We found Chef's Station using the iPad app for restaurants near our hotel in Skokie. The menu and reviews looked good so we gave it a shot. i was there with my daughter on a Saturday night, and she was struck by what an old (elderly) crowd was there. Like most suburban restaurants on a Saturday night, it attracts folks who don't care to brave the scene in Chicago. But she and I liked the food a lot. The beet salad appetizer is imaginative and delicious.The duck and halibut we ate were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scubakathyDined on 8/14/2014Our meal at Chef's table was outstanding. I was dining with a friend from New York City and he said that the rack of lamb he ordered was far better than any that he had in NYC. The foie gras was amazing. The wine list was extensive and the service was impeccable. We certainly will recommend this " treasure under the train station" in Evanston as a go to destination for great food. KathySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014It was grate exspirience . Food was very good . We will recommend this place for our friend and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roasted Baby Beet Salad to die forOTreviewerVIPDined on 8/1/2014This was our first time at Chef's Station and we will definitely be going back. I had the baby beat salad with goat cheese and watermelon. Just stating the main ingredients doesn't do it justice. The presentation and tastes were incredible. For my main course I had the meatloaf. I know that you think that going to a fine dining restaurant to have meatloaf is not the usual move. and I hate ordering meatloaf in a restaurant as no one makes it as good as you do at home, but this was definitely gourmet and delicious. My husband had Foie Gras and Duck entree which he said was fantastic. Service was attentive without being overbearing. We will be back.Special Features:
- extremely enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/15/2014The food was really good, the service was excellent, and the atmosphere, was quiet and relaxing, which was just what we were looking for. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Wonderful!MsFussyVIPDined on 7/5/2014What a great restaurant! I had the tuna tartare and the the halibut. The tuna was very good and the halibut was outstanding. My husband had a lovely baby lettuce salad and the whitefish- also outstanding. The service was very good. The lighting and noise level was pleasant. The wines by the glass provided excellent choices and the white sangria was delicious! All in all a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 364 reviews are from the Chef's Station reviews archive.
- Great Food!JayzeeDined on 6/28/2014The wine list was fabulous. The staff took great care of us and paired the menu to our liking. The food was wonderful. I would come back again soon. I would also recommend this restaurant to anyone who is a foodie.Special Features:
- Return visit - will go back again!NUFANVIPDined on 6/28/2014Always enjoy Chef's Station. Great food in a wonderful venue. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- RetiredOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014We have had dinner there many times over the last 9 years and the food has been consistently excellent. We were disappointed this time only because the food was very salty. The salt took away from the wonderful flavors chef Jose is so capable of creating.Special Features:
- great for celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014WE came to celebrate our son's graduation from Northwestern. We chose a variety from the menu and all were pleased with their selection. If I lived in Evanston, we would definitely go back here for special occasions or just a fun night out.Special Features:
- Excellent!MarieDined on 6/20/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here. Very good food, superb service, nice atmosphere, etc. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Good food- Poor serviceDisappointedDined on 6/20/2014For the price of these meals, you would expect better service. The ambiance and decor of the restaurant are lacking…desparately needs updating. The waitress forgot bread and took forever to bring back our check. For special occasions, I would prefer Stained Glass or Found.Special Features:
- memorableCheers2uDined on 6/20/2014Went to celebrate a family birthday. Everything was perfect! Had the rack of lamb that was very tender, served with simple side dishes that complemented the flavor of lamb. My daughter had the berkshire pork chop and potatoes, that were loaded with flavor. Seafood served as appetizers and as main courses were appropriately seasoned, not overpowering the seafood. Wine is served by the bottle and by the glass. Will go again and would recommend to anyone who enjoys high quality food and service. The restaurant is near a Metra stop, yet no sounds of train were heard in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revisiting and Old FriendAdda40VIPDined on 6/20/2014It has been over a year since we visited Chef's Station. The original owner retired and the space has undergone a recent significant make over. Peter was actually there to greet us , even though he has retired. While I do miss the old casual chic decor with the copper pipe lamps, the new look is relaxing and comfortable. what I do miss are the old prices! I always felt that the restaurant was a moderately priced good value considering how wonderful the food and services was. Our current dinner was still a a delicious enjoyable dining experience , but higher priced by 20-25%. However, the extensive wine service is really quite a bargain with many fine choices in the $30-40 per bottle range when many places are charging $ 8-12 a glass.Special Features:
- Great food, lacks atmospherePB11Dined on 6/13/2014Menu and food preparation is excellent. Little older crowd which lacks in vibrancy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beef tenderloin over cookedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/10/2014Excellent flavor of the beef tenderloin entree, however I requested that it be cooked medium rare, but it was served medium well to well done., making it a little dry. Other than that, excellent salad and dessert, creme brûlée.Special Features:
- 2essenceVIPDined on 6/7/2014The chef overcooked the swordfish but the waiter took it right back and redid it for me. Everyone was very gracious.Special Features:
- Excellent Evanston RestaurantHowardr48VIPDined on 6/7/2014My wife and I went to Chef's Station for our 43rd wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed in any manner. She started with the tuna tartar and I had the beets. Both very visually delicious and both tasting delicious. We followed with the swordfish special and the halibut entries. Superb!! I have never tasted such perfectly cooked swordfish before. One of Evanston's excellent restaurants.Special Features:
- LafoodieDined on 5/31/2014Pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. Our last visit had been a disaster. This time the food was back to its high quality. It is so nice to go to a restaurant on a Sat. Night and not have to shout to be heard.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2014Our favorite fine dining establishment in Evanston. Quiet and tucked away under the train tracks (no, you don't hear or feel the train come through), the dishes are always delicious and inventive. We go there for our anniversary almost every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May 20, 2014NickandNoraDined on 5/20/2014My wife and I have been dining at Chef's Station for special occasions since shortly after it opened. We have always been delighted with the food and service. My wife said the rack of lamb she had on our last visit was the best she ever had in her life.Special Features:
- As expectedQuackerDeluxDined on 5/17/2014Had heard much positive, for years! We went on Saturday and were well cared for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, hidden gemDougEFreshDined on 5/10/2014We have lived a few miles away from the restaurant for years, and had never heard of it, before finding reviews for it online. The food was amazing, from appetizer through desert. The decor is a bit basic, and the ambience is also basic, but the food makes up for it. Highly recommend the halibut and tenderloin for the main course.Special Features:
- What happened-under parDinerDined on 5/10/2014We have always enjoyed the Chef Station. This time was not up to par. We have always had a wonderful dinner here and looked forward to another fantastic evening. The dining room was full and greatly understaffed. We waited one hour until even bread arrived. And then the courses came slowly. I love leisurely meals but this was just poorly managed. My husband ordered lamb chops which are usually delicious and they came more done and not juicy-like they were sitting under a warming light. I hope that they get their act together because it was one of our favorite restaurants in the past.Special Features: