Chefs Burger Bistro
164 East Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Chefs Burger Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chefsburgerbistro.com/
- Phone: 3123743092x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 10:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner:Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - Close, Friday & Saturday: 2:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Edward G Leonard, CMC
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: catering can be done at houses or delivered as per bookings.
- Private Party Facilities: Chefs room on 1st floor can host 12 to 25 people in a cool setting across the kitchen and second floor dining room can be booked for functions based on policies and time of year, windows all open for a open room effect when weather is nice.
- Private Party Contact: Edward 3129728223x
A word from Chefs Burger Bistro
Chefs Burger Bistro is not just another restaurant. It is a place where hospitality for our customers is a focus, where food is as food should be, simple, elegant and flavorful and hand crafted. Our location, the corner of East Grand and St. Clair is the pathway to the magnificent mile and Navy Pier. The Bistro features a masonry patio with a fireplace, two floors of dining space that are fun, cool, comfortable and simply where you want to be seen. The chef’s private room is a culinary heaven and shall be booked first come first serve.Continued
Not just great burgers, brunch Saturday and Sunday, artisan small plates, dinner specials and donuts all made in house.
Not just great burgers, brunch Saturday and Sunday, artisan small plates, dinner specials and donuts all made in house.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chefs Burger Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (50)great for lunch (40)neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (13)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (11)late-night find (8)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (6)special occasion (4)romantic (3)Show More
- slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014The food was good and the server was nice but the service was extremely slow. It took us a while to get our entrees. We asked for the dessert menus and then the waiter didn't come back to get our dessert order for at least 20 minutes. By that time we decided not to order dessert. it just took a really long time in between. Ive been there once for lunch and the service was much better. The restaurant didn't seem busy so I'm not sure why ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd give it a second chanceafergusDined on 9/14/2014Made reservations on a Sunday evening during the Bears game. Opted for outdoor seating but it didn't help with the noise much. Service was rather slow for the entire evening (probably anticipating a dead night). I shared a caprese salad with my wife as a starter. It was made with delicious heirloom tomatoes. My wife had the chicken sandwich which she enjoyed except that the breast was grilles with the skin on. I had the Chef's Burger with bacon and a side of fries along with Grand Ave Amber beer which is apparently brewed for the location. The burger was cooked to order (medium) and extremely juicy. The fries were just okay. Overall the food was good but I would give it another chance to judge thebservice and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good burgershoosiertravelerDined on 9/13/2014Wanted a not so expensive place for a change. The burgers were very good as well as the duck fries and onion rings. Service was good. Nice place to have an inexpensive meal in downtown Chicago. Staff was courteous and helpful. Set upstairs where is was quiet in the early evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Burgers!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/11/2014Burgers were excellent everything else good. I was a little distracted by a wobbly table and cool coffee but all in all a a good after work or after shopping place right of Michigan Ave.Special Features:
- Love the fried pickles...Foodie2Dined on 9/5/2014Great addition to the neighborhood, if you are looking for a moderately priced burger and want to avoid fast food. Will go back. The have milk shakes!!Special Features:
- Pleasant2dinepleasant2dineDined on 9/2/2014Food was great. My fiancé and I ordered crispy pickles, summer flatbread, and watermelon specialty platter. The place itself was elegant but not too fancy. Service was a little disappointing but we still enjoyed ourselves. We would recommend this place to family and friends and would definitely dine back again but expect for some better service next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to ParOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014Already wrote review on YELP. Server, while very nice, wasn't well informed. Couldn't answer questions about menu. Kept telling us our answers were already on the menu. Didn't know types of draft beer offered-said it was listed on the menu. It wasn't. Told us "vegetable of the day" was broccoli and cauliflower. I ordered. Few minutes later said that she was mistaken and it was a type of cole-slaw. (Didn't know cole-slaw counts as a "seasonal vegetable". Weird. Our fries were cold. This is a big no/no for this kind of gourmet hamburger spot. Also the egg on top of the burgers was hard-cooked. Should be runny. I think the food had been sitting out for a while before the server brought them to our table and the egg had "cooked" on top by thenSpecial Features:
- Excellent food - poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The burgers were delicious! The service was lackluster, at best. Our server was around until we ordered. Once we placed our order, she never came back. After finishing our meal, we had to wait over 20 minutes just for her to ask if we were ready for our check. About ten minutes later she brought our check and then never came back. After about 15 minutes, another server took our credit card - probably because she felt bad for us.Special Features:
- Excellent burgersYCPittsVIPDined on 8/15/2014My burger was wonderful and the homemade buns made all the difference in the world!Special Features:
- Off night?Tsp3Dined on 8/8/2014Not sure what was happening here. We were seated right away and host staff was friendly. Server arrived asking if we'd been helped- seemed stressed. We got our drinks and ordered an appetizer of wings which were delivered quickly and were very good. We hadn't even finished and our burgers arrived. Bad coursing. When we ordered I stated I wanted medium and waitress informed me that they cook a little on the rare side- perfect for me and my date. Burgers were well done and flavorless. I got what was said to be Chicago magazines top burger. Not even close to good. Too bad. Nice space and outdoor area.
- Burgers and moreTedoVIPDined on 7/26/2014The game burgers will move you out of your comfort zone: camel, kangaroo... Starting with the watermelon and feta starter we knew we were in for a special meal. Presentation was lovely and the the blend of flavors was wonderful. Lump crab appetizer is served in an avocado and very fresh tasting. Beef burgers were al la cart, juicy and cooked perfectly. Pick you sides and enjoy a milkshake and the indoor/outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotmanolamangiaDined on 7/25/2014This is the second time I have been to this restaurant and both times I found everything about is very enjoyable. The first occasion we sat in the bar area and this time we sat outside. The seating was well spaced out so it was comfortable. The food was fresh, inventive and very tasty, especially the burgers. I would absolutely return and look forward to my next experience.Special Features:
- Big disappointmentGoldcoastguyVIPDined on 7/9/2014We were really looking forward to our lunch here as it is a splurge for us to eat a hamburger due to diet. I had the Paris burger which was fine but not that extraordinary. The other 2 in the party built their own. I don't know where the communication broke down but it took about 3 trips back to the kitchen to come close to getting them correct. The manager was doing his best to help us but still had problems. On the first round, besides not having the correct ingredients on, the lettuce was a very small leaf about 2 inches across that cost 50 cents and for another 50 cents she got about a slice and a half of pickle. For a place trying to market itself as a gourmet burger restaurant, we could do better at McDonalds. Meal ended up comped.
- Good burgermlravenswoodDined on 7/5/2014I ordered the B50 - half beef, half bacon. It was very good, and the bacon taste was not overpowering. I went at 530 on a Saturday, was seated immediately outdoors. Nice place, good food, good staff. I'd go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just another burger joint!SouthlooperVIPDined on 7/5/2014Was really quite impressed with the other items on the menu as well! Burgers were very good!Special Features:
- Good,but could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/5/2014We had the family there with reservations well in advance. Front desk was not sharp but we were finally seated. Waitress was great and food good. This was our second visit and on both occasions the food was similar. I would suggest a couple of things: Don't charge for a small cup of extra steak sauce and lower the charge on kid's soft drinks. Hate to nit pick but dumb product pricing IF you want to draw families during the day.Special Features:
- Streeterville Must Have BurgerChrisDined on 7/4/2014More unique choices of burgers than I would have expected. Three of us went and all of us had something different and loved each burger. I also like that you could choose from a 1/3 or half pound burger. The service was very slow but would go again because the burgers were awesome.Special Features:
- Taste for a Great Burger?AnniversaryDined on 7/3/2014One of Chicago hidden spots - right off Michigan Avenue with plenty of parking around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyrichviiiDined on 6/30/2014We all got a different burger and really enjoyed it. We split the various sides and had some great donut desserts! It was all very tasty. Service was a little slow for lunch time but we didn't wait long for lunch once we got to order. Will definitely hit up again.Special Features:
- Extremely overpricedDisappointedVIPDined on 6/23/2014Average at best and it's ala carte! Also left there with an upset stomach... Not going back there again.Special Features:
- Gourmet burgers and fun place!PhillyDined on 6/22/2014We were seated promptly in a classy booth looking out toward outdoor patio and bar. My son had the B50 which is half bacon half beef burger which was a rich taste combination. I had the Paris burger with brie, candied tomatoes and onion jam which was delicious. We also enjoyed the duck fat fries, onion rings, buffalo wings and crabmeat with avocado. The onion rings were pretty plain. The seasoning on the crabmeat appetizer was rather sweet which didn't compliment it like a homemade thousand island would have. Iberico burger & salmon salad were also enjoyed by group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and good burgershappy2eatoutDined on 6/20/2014We had great service. The place was really busy and at first our waitress had a hard time getting to our table. Then another stepped in and between them both, we were well taken care of. The burgers were very very good. We liked that we could order different size burger patties. All the trimmings were great. The Paris burger was fantastic. So were the duck fat fries, and the sweet potato fries. There was a good selection of beers. To top it off, one person in our party ordered the berry cobbler - it was very very good since we ended up all sharing because the portion size was great and the aroma of hot sweet berries was too tempting. It was kind of noisy but upstairs was a little quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/14/2014The thing that we liked best was that the burgers came in 2 sizes: one-third lb. for the smaller appetite and one-half lb. for the heartier appetite. The onion rings were good. The salmon salad was well received. The upper level had large windows that could open or close depending on the weather. With the windows open one did get the feeling of being outdoors.Special Features:
- Just what the neighborhood neededHeyCath60601Dined on 6/11/2014We came here on a Wednesday night. It is not too crowded but the noise level was perfect. We could actually have a conversation without having to yell. We sat on main floor in the semi-circle booth which gave us good view of whole restaurant. The staff was very attentive. Bistro Burger was good and lamb chops were very tasty. Menu offered a nice variety of burgers and non-burgers. Priced reasonably. We will be back.Special Features:
- Still working out problemsNeighborhoodmomVIPDined on 6/7/2014This place is relatively new, I'm hoping that's part of the problem and they'll figure it out. Service was poor, we waited over 10 min before getting menus. Burgers were good, not great. The drinks looked good, we didn't get anything but a lot of people we're having cocktails around us. We'll wait a while before coming back.Special Features:
- DiamondDiamondDined on 6/6/2014Met a colleague there and we arrived separately. Place very lively at 7 pm. He was already sitting a the bar where I joined him. Tables were filling up so we decided to stay at the bar and order dinner. It was delicious! Some guy to my right was pretty far gone already so that interfered slightly but we were at the corner so it was pretty easy to ignore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgersNaumVIPDined on 6/6/2014New goto place for a sit down meal of burgers, fries and drinks with a few friends. Outdoor seating is great especially when the weather is sunny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great, great burgersfashionableVIPDined on 6/6/2014All kinds of places claim great burgers, but this one really delivers. My husband had their classic and changed out the gouda for swiss and found it very good, but not extraordinary. I had the Paris burger and would declare it world class with its onion jam and candied tomatores. The burgers were done perfectly, the buns freshly baked and the condiments on the Paris were exceptional, gourmet but not far off the classic burger expectations. Too bad it's in such a touristy area, but go with a reservation and ask for a window table upstairs where you'll feel like you're outside but not on the street. The bar area is fine in a booth where the noise is more moderate & service fast. It's definitely a great burger joint and worth a visit.Special Features:
- outstanding burgerswingsDined on 6/5/2014Food was great. Table shook like multiple California tremors. Manager tried to fix the wobbling to no avail. My bad, we should have changed tables. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Another Burger Bar you say?NonFoodieLikesDined on 6/2/2014Yes, however this is a great spot and food prep is great. Outdoor area is great, have view of kitchen and indoor bar / TV's as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally perfect eveningaskpegVIPDined on 5/30/2014A spontaneous birthday party of good friends was facilitated by the lovely manager, Marcelina, and served by the fun and helpful (and patient!) Jimmy! Nice range of appetizers, inventive offering of hamburgers, lamburgers, and their various accompaniments. plus delicious desserts hi-lighted by the petite filled doughnuts with dipping sauces. PLUS handsome interior! Convivial spot...try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The new Burger RestaurantsummerinchicagoVIPDined on 5/30/2014This new Burger Restaurant in Streeterville is a welcome addition. This was my first time visiting. The burgers were OK - nothing special about the "Special Burgers" on the menu, no mouth waterting special taste. The fries are extra. The burger buns were not your usual bun - they were good. Good Beer list. They do take reservations - not sure if needed all the time, but in Chicago it is best to make one on any day of the week. Outdoor seating is great, the upstairs - did not see an elevator - is nice too - spacious.Special Features:
- Takes too long.easyraterVIPDined on 5/24/2014Wait was way too long. They were completely unprepared for Memorial Day weekend, so we left.
- Tourist trapallykcVIPDined on 5/24/2014This restaurant knows that due to its location most of its customers will be tourists, and it acts accordingly. Obviously they think no one will return twice so you can have bland food and rude service and still get by on location alone. I will be shocked if this place is still around in 6 months.
- The following 27 reviews are from the Chefs Burger Bistro reviews archive.
- Needs some workOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/24/2014Our server tried and was working as best she could, but she seemed to have little support from management on a very busy Saturday night. Burgers were fair, but unseasoned and not a lot of flavor. Had the Paris burger. Duck fat fries were tasty. Indifferent attitude from hostess and maître d'. Might go back?Special Features:
- ChaosOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Too chaotic. Disorganized service. Long waits for good. Incorrect food served. Many tourists. Good was good, but served lukewarm (long waits) and portions small (10 French fries constitutes an order). Not kid friendly.
- Needs some workLkbeyerleinVIPDined on 5/23/2014This place needs to work out the kinks. Managers need to help the staff rather than parade around the floor. Menus were dirty and a beer I tried to order was no longer available. Menus are a first impression, and I was ready to walk out after my beer wasn't available due to a menu change. We stayed, and luckily the food was good.
- Excellent OptionsArlingtonDined on 5/20/2014Nice outdoor area, excellent menu options. Inexpensive. glad I have discovered it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MsClancyDined on 5/18/2014The food was excellent! We went for lunch and all ordered a bloody mary, they were just the right spiciness and served in a mason jar which added to it. We were given a complementary order or their famous donuts as they found out we were a bachelorette party and they were out of this world! The burgers were so tasty and seasoned exceptionally well. I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- SlowSlow2eatDined on 5/18/2014We were here for Sunday brunch with a group of 11. Service for drinks was spotty but food was very slow. Didn't see it as wait staff but back up to them. Kitchen, bar. Over hour 20 before receiving our meal. Not good!