Chef Tony's - Bethesda
4926 St. Elmo Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Chef Tony's - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cheftonysbethesda.com/
- Phone: 3016543737
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Bottomless Mimosa Brunch Menu: 11 - 3pm, Dinner Seating until 8 pm. Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm. We are closed on Mondays but available for Private Parties. We also have the availability to rent out the entire restaurant for private functions, wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners or corporate affairs. Contact Chef Tony to work out a menu and arrangements to fulfill your needs.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Tony Marciante
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Reap the benefits of 24 years experience offering catered events from the staff of Chef Tony's. Anything from a backyard barbecue to the most upscale wedding can be planned with ease and within your budget. Our catering division has over 20 years in the industry providing upscale but affordable options. Allow our Chef owner to guide you to a great menu to complement your event including the availability of a full wine and bar service to complement your event. Download a helpful checklist at http://cheftonysbethesda.com/lunch-catering-menu.html
- Entertainment: Our restaurant features occasional live events including Poetry Reading, Jazz Music, Comedy Nights as well as Morning Business Leadership Breakfast Meetings. Contact Chef Tony if you have interest in working with our restaurant to feature your meeting group or offer your live entertainment suggestion. We provide complimentary WiFi and are happy to work with you to meet your needs and budget.
- Special Events: Any kind of event we can imagine, we make it happen. When other facilities give you a book of rules, room charges and other constrictions...see Tony for a quick and easy booking process. We're in the business of hospitality and can plan an event quickly.
- Cross Street: Old Georgetown Road
- Public Transit: Easy Three block walk from Bethesda Metro station. At the top of the escalator turn left slightly and proceed to third traffic light on Old Georgetown Road. Turn right on St Elmo, we are on right hand side at 4926. Multiple public bus stops also within walking distance.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Ample parking across the street in public garage offering pay by phone (setup ahead) http://www.goparknow.com (quarters accepted and happily provided at our bar) as well as street parking available on St. Elmo. Easy front door drop off directly at our curb for guests needing special access. Wheelchair accessible from curb.
A word from Chef Tony's - Bethesda
Daily changing Market Driven menu incorporates Fresh Seafood & Locally Farmed Foods when possible into a creative blend of Mediterranean specialties. Enjoy full size Entrees, Tapas plates & creative Vegetarian/Gluten Free offerings. In house desserts daily round out your experience. In the pursuit of culinary excellence, expect the Chefs to play with flavors, textures & seasonal offerings to challenge your expectations while keeping value in mind. Five, Ten and Twenty Course Tasting Menus can be arranged as well as Special Event Services and Banquets. A full bar complements the meal and plan your weekend to include the Bottomless Mimosa Brunch every Sunday featuring Farm Stand Egg Dishes Chef Tony’s also hosts many specialty events in Bethesda including Business Mixers, Social Media Events, Rehearsal Dinners & themed dinner parties. After 24 years of procuring top quality products, Chef Tony’s is a unassuming restaurant that continues to impress local diners and travContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Tony's - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (89)fit for foodies (80)special occasion (57)romantic (54)good for groups (27)great for lunch (25)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (16)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- DCEaterVIPDined on 10/18/2014The seafood selection is exquisite, and the service is superb.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceGG55Dined on 10/18/2014Chef Tony's came recommended by a friend and they right on. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable without being intrusive and the food was amazing. Definitely will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family-run seafood and tapasSusanDined on 10/18/2014Fresh seafood and tapas- plus some great options for those sho don't like seafood. Menu updated often (daily?) throughout the week to reflect fresh purchases by the chef. Don't like a side? Want a substitute? Want something not in the menu? Just ask and you shall receive:-) very accommodating staff- ask to meet the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More praiseshortyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Losing count on how many times we have been to Chef Tony's. However, each time is a delight. Great food, friendly service from all, including the Chef himself. He always takes time to greet his guests at their tables. Tonight it was grilled whole trout for my wife and boneless short ribs for me. We each had a portion to take home for another meal. My short ribs were soooooo tender and the sauce had a little zip to it , which I really liked. My server gave me a little extra sauce to take home for reheating. FYI, the best way to reheat the ribs is in the microwave. but be careful not for too long. I micro'd for about 1 minute and 10 seconds. It was plenty hot and not dried out. P.S. Try the fried oyster salad --- really good.Special Features:
- Fri Night OutMomcatDined on 10/17/2014I love Chef Tony's and wanted to introduce my friend to the wonderful cuisine. He was hesitant because we migrated out of the Bethesda area many years ago. We agreed to a Friday night out and it was the best low key birthday dinner! No problems with traffic or parking. The food (Monkfish and Catfish) was delicious and the pacing of the meal was perfect. We also appreciated attentive service while not drinking alcohol, an uncommon bonus. I highly recommend this local gem that uses locally fresh and sustainable produce and professional staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Calamari!JannaDined on 10/17/2014We used an Amazon Local coupon for our first visit here. The calamari with lemon aoli was superb -- tender, yet slightly crispy on the outside and not greasy. And you get a good amount too. My co-worker told me that she will be going back just for the crabcakes! Service was friendly but unobtrusive, decent wine list. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnMSDined on 10/11/2014Exciting menu, comfortable place, the waiter was professional and making efforts to understand our accent 😊 However, he forgot a meal. And the second lobster was uncooked and with an awful taste (ammonia). Not a good signal for crustaceans. We hope it is an accident. We may try again to verify. But the place is nice and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greenieGreenieVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was plentiful and overall VERY good. Would return any day!! Found the organic salmon and pickled cucumbers not to be a good fit. The juice from the cukes and vinegar invaded the salmon. Suggest trying another comboSpecial Features:
- shirleyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Service was terrible. My food was poorly cooked. No attempt to fix the problems were made by manager who was aware of the problem.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/8/2014Our server was so nice and accommodating. Food was absolutely delicious and fresh. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceEmaraldCutDined on 10/5/2014The food and the service was great would definately come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and great servicebloodymaryloverDined on 10/5/2014We love Chef Tony 's! Very cozy neighborhood restaurant. The food is great as is the bar service. The servers are very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried something newHappyDined on 10/3/2014I am very glad to that I decided to try Chef Tony's. Did not know what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised by all aspects! The food and service were great. Already have planned to go again soon. :)Special Features:
- Nogluten4meVIPDined on 9/28/2014We could eat here every night and never get tired of the food, charming and attentive wait staff or visits from Chef Tony! The perfect special occasion spot as well. Chef Tony's caters to food allergies and makes eating out gluten free a relaxing and delicious experience. A wonderful find in Bethesda!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just right!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014Excellent in terms of food, service, and atmosphere. A perfect laid back but special quality dinner awaits all who come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch!KPReatsVIPDined on 9/24/2014This was my first lunch experience at Chef Tony's. I had the mussels to start, and they were very good. My wife had a salad and then for her entrée, she had the Scottish salmon. She enjoyed everything. I had the parmesan crusted sole. It was also very good and was served with mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables. I always enjoy the food here, but I do think the service could be better. The servers know what they are doing and on this occasion, Richard seemed very knowledgeable about the menu. But, I had to ask for more water, and when he came to the table, he filled my glass, but didn't top off my wife's. Why not? He also didn't stop by the table next to us to fill their glasses. Little things like that would help elevate this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable!MarieVIPDined on 9/21/2014Delicious food, excellent service, interesting wine list.Special Features:
- Continued praiseshortyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Always a good meal from a happy Chef and smiling servers. Try any of the fish entrees, e.g. - sole, trout, cod. Also, the short ribs are succulent. Salads are large and can be shared. Fried calamari is super good. The crowds keep coming, so I'm not the only one with good thoughts about Tony's place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lack of serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014Generally we have a pleasant evening at chef tony's however, Sept 18 was not particularly pleasant because of the long wait to order, to receive our dishes, and to pay the bill. There were not enough waiters for the number of diners and their attention was focused upon 2 large parties at the expense of smaller tables.Special Features:
- Eminently ReliableWDC1VIPDined on 9/17/2014It is always reassuring to know that you will experience a top quality meal accompanied by great service. Such is the case with Chef Tony's. The menu contains a very good mixture of options prepared from fresh local ingredients with superb care and attention to taste. The service is top notch, friendly and attentive without being smothering. IN Addition, Chef Tony's executes a web based customer support system is one that should be the envy of Michelin Star establishments. The best of Bethesda's neighborhood restaurants.Special Features:
- A FavoriteFreqDinerDined on 9/16/2014I am a regular at Chef Tony's. Chef Tony himself is a great guy and often says hello to the diners. The seafood is always fresh, never overcooked, and always generously portioned. The accompanying veggies and sides are the same. Prices are extremely fair for the quality. This is an intimate, white table cloth restaurant that would be 50% more expensive if downtown. Lunch is a steal - since you get the same menu at a big discount. Some non-seafood items look good as well, but I'm a seafood guy, so can't comment to much there. I take friends all the time, I suggest you try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food bad serviceskhayDined on 9/10/2014Food was good but service was bad. Seems like they are understaffed.Special Features:
- Pleasant ExperienceALHpromoDined on 9/6/2014We truly enjoyed dining at Chef Tony's. I had the crabcake which was very light and delicious. We also had the sweet potato pie for dessert...delicious...melted in my mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!HatetocooklovetoeatDined on 9/6/2014The service was excellent, the waiter knowledgeable and courteous, and best of all the food was to die for! This was our first visit but we will be back soon and often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Visiting a relative in Bethesda and picked this restaurant randomly on line to celebrate a birthday. I was pleasantly surprised that this restaurant was wonderful- great food, service, atmosphere and pricing. Parking across the street was also a plus since we were with an elderly relative who has trouble walking. Will definitely return and recommend to others!Special Features:
- PraiseshortyVIPDined on 8/30/2014The title of my review is "PRAISE" and I meant it. Tony has been around for some years now, but we only started eating in his restaurant about 6 or 8 months ago. We have enjoyed every meal, either as a couple or with friends or a family gathering. Never had a bad meal. More precisely, everyone has been extremely pleased , not only with their entree choice, but also with salads, appetizer ( fried calamari ) etc. My suggestion is to try it. You won't be disappointed. Disregard the simple and plain " ambiance ". The food, service and just plain friendly atmosphere is what is on display here. The bottom line - Tony is always there - in the kitchen and in plain site, with a happy smile and ready to please you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a wonderful find!KurlyDined on 8/29/2014I am so glad we tried chef Tony after seeing Groupon deal. Even without the discount it would have been worthwhile. The food is scrumptious the portions are overflowing and the staff is friendly and helpful. This was the best grilled Caesar salad I have every tasted and I cant wait to go back. It was an extra pleasure to meet the chef himself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps impressing guestsIrnieVIPDined on 8/29/2014We have been to Chef Tony's multiple times and almost always bring guests who have never been to this fine restaurant. Again we and our guests were impressed with the quality and presentation of our dinners. All of us loved the grilled caesar salad and lthe parmesan crusted sole. The desserts were an added treat. We will be back--as will our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmilyKemilykoeDined on 8/26/2014We reserved a table for six and were pleased to find that we were located in a quiet area in the back of the restaurant. The server was friendly and attentive, and everyone enjoyed their dinners. This is a pleasant, unpretentious, mid-priced restaurant with good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Lunch ExperienceJLSCTVIPDined on 8/26/2014We've been to Chef Tony's before & feel the restaurant has improved over the past year. Because we dined @ Chef Tony's for dinner earlier this summer we were able to pick up a Buy 1 - Get 1 Free Lunch postcard (promotion expires mid-Sept. 2014), which provided an exceptional value. Organic Scottish salmon in pesto pasta was tasty, but it's the Parmesan crusted sole w/ lemon sauce & garlic mash that is our special favorite. Currently priced under $10 @ lunch it is delicious & an exceptional value (w/ or w/o any additional discounts, like ours.) Tony & his wife are in house 6 days a week, helming the kitchen and making homemade desserts. If you are looking for a good, fairly priced, local restaurant, that tries hard, then try Tony's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Tony's - BethesdafoodloveDined on 8/23/2014This was not our first time and we continue to enjoy the food and service. This is one of my favorite restaurants in Bethesda.Special Features:
- It had been a while...KPReatsVIPDined on 8/20/2014We had not been to Chef Tony's in quite some time since we aren't in Bethesda that often. All in all we enjoyed our visit. We started with a dozen oysters. Very fresh, with a mild taste. I had the mussels appetizer and my wife had the calamari. Both were very good. We then each had a salad and for our entrees, I had the cod and my wife had the monkfish. Neither of us particularly enjoyed our entree. There was nothing wrong with it, but we just didn't find either of them to be that good. Don't know if it was a combination of the ingredients or what, but neither of us would order it again. We would definitely return, just not order those particular menu items. Service was better than average with Alex taking care of us.Special Features:
- Food Was Goodcrich113VIPDined on 8/16/2014The Food was very good. We started with the calamari, very good. My husband had the crab and shrimp stuffed cod which he thought was excellent. I had the seafood Paella and was a little disappointed that I only had 2 shrimp, 1 scallop and a little crab. I have to say there were a fair number of mussels in the dish. But the pasta was good and it was such a large helping, I had to get a doggie bag. Over all it was a good place to dine and we will return.Special Features:
- VantageVIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I had an enjoyable evening, the food was very good and we relaxed with a fine bottle of wine. Our waiter Greg was excellent. We appreciated the followup phone call the next day to check on our visit. It was our first time at Chef Tony's and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Every person at this restaurant is trying his very best to provide a great experience. Extremely polite etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!JudyVIPDined on 8/13/2014We were pleasantly surprised how great Chef Tony's was last week! Two had the carb cake, which they said was all crab, no filler, and I had the pasta with salmon and lobster. We shared a bread pudding dessert, which was excellent. We will definitely go back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeFoodlover79Dined on 8/8/2014I went to Chef Tony's with some work friends. The menu was pretty comprehensive and we actually did the prixe-fix menu and the calamari was great! I also had the shrimp pasta which was great and the dessert was enjoyable too. I'd go back and try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreenieGreenieVIPDined on 8/5/2014So we had a Groupon for Tony's and paid $40 for it. Our waiter greeted us in a less than happy manner and this persisted throughout the evening. We had to ask for lemon twice, we waited an inordinate amount of time for our bill, he didn't bring my wife's wine with our dinner, and at the end of the dinner, he apologized that he could do better but it was an unusually busy Tuesday night. Despite all this, the food was super and the desserts were as good as any place we have ever eaten. We will come back!!! We'll give the waiter one strike and hope he is better next time.Special Features:
- Our visithappycamperDined on 8/3/2014This was the second time at Chef Tony for my husband and I, and two friends came with us. The service was not as we expected (or similar as in our prior visit)... maybe they were short staff. Our waiter was also the bartender and I got a drink with vodka (when I ordered gin) and my friend got gin when he ordered vodka - not really that bad. We had to wait long for our drinks and food; however, the food made it all worthwhile. Among ourselves we had: fried calamaris (best we had tried), mussels, oysters, trout, cod, short ribs and the salmon - all excellent. The desserts were outstanding. We definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always tasty.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014This restaurant is one of our favorites in the Bethesda/Chevy Chase area. We especially like the calamari, grilled caesar salad, cod, trout, and sole. All the deserts are delicious, especially the chocolate one, sweet potato pie, and cheesecake. Chef Tony is usually there and gives us nice recognition. Go hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.