Chef Tony's - Bethesda
4926 St. Elmo Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Chef Tony's - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cheftonysbethesda.com/
- Phone: (301) 654-3737
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Bottomless Mimosa Brunch Menu: 11 - 3pm, Dinner Seating until 8 pm. Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm. We are closed on Mondays but available for Private Parties. We also have the availability to rent out the entire restaurant for private functions, wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners or corporate affairs. Contact Chef Tony to work out a menu and arrangements to fulfill your needs.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Tony Marciante
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Reap the benefits of 24 years experience offering catered events from the staff of Chef Tony's. Anything from a backyard barbecue to the most upscale wedding can be planned with ease and within your budget. Our catering division has over 20 years in the industry providing upscale but affordable options. Allow our Chef owner to guide you to a great menu to complement your event including the availability of a full wine and bar service to complement your event. Download a helpful checklist at http://cheftonysbethesda.com/lunch-catering-menu.html
- Entertainment: Our restaurant features occasional live events including Poetry Reading, Jazz Music, Comedy Nights as well as Morning Business Leadership Breakfast Meetings. Contact Chef Tony if you have interest in working with our restaurant to feature your meeting group or offer your live entertainment suggestion. We provide complimentary WiFi and are happy to work with you to meet your needs and budget.
- Special Events: Any kind of event we can imagine, we make it happen. When other facilities give you a book of rules, room charges and other constrictions...see Tony for a quick and easy booking process. We're in the business of hospitality and can plan an event quickly.
- Cross Street: Old Georgetown Road
- Public Transit: Easy Three block walk from Bethesda Metro station. At the top of the escalator turn left slightly and proceed to third traffic light on Old Georgetown Road. Turn right on St Elmo, we are on right hand side at 4926. Multiple public bus stops also within walking distance.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Ample parking across the street in public garage offering pay by phone (setup ahead) http://www.goparknow.com (quarters accepted and happily provided at our bar) as well as street parking available on St. Elmo. Easy front door drop off directly at our curb for guests needing special access. Wheelchair accessible from curb.
A word from Chef Tony's - Bethesda
Daily changing Market Driven menu incorporates Fresh Seafood & Locally Farmed Foods when possible into a creative blend of Mediterranean specialties. Enjoy full size Entrees, Tapas plates & creative Vegetarian/Gluten Free offerings. In house desserts daily round out your experience. In the pursuit of culinary excellence, expect the Chefs to play with flavors, textures & seasonal offerings to challenge your expectations while keeping value in mind. Five, Ten and Twenty Course Tasting Menus can be arranged as well as Special Event Services and Banquets. A full bar complements the meal and plan your weekend to include the Bottomless Mimosa Brunch every Sunday featuring Farm Stand Egg Dishes Chef Tony’s also hosts many specialty events in Bethesda including Business Mixers, Social Media Events, Rehearsal Dinners & themed dinner parties. After 24 years of procuring top quality products, Chef Tony’s is a unassuming restaurant that continues to impress local diners and travContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Chef Tony's - Bethesda - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Chef Tony's - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (94)fit for foodies (92)special occasion (59)romantic (54)good for groups (29)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Disappointedreality7Dined on 6/26/2014I don't know from what to start with my complaining about my experience with this restaurant.The service was horrible.First we were waiting for about 10 min somebody to come to take our order.Then we order the food and my bf ask for a beer,of course this guy ask for his ID but he even didn't wait and without saying something he left (without asking what drink I want).Then he came after another 5 min with beer and finally asked me what I want to drink.... After we finish our entrees we were waiting about 10 min somebody to come to pick up the plates and to take our desert order... At the end we wait 5 more min for our check, another 5 for our card back.. So we spent more than one hour and 50 min on our dinner... The worst experience ever
- Enjoyable eveningOlneyFoodieDined on 6/22/2014A very nice meal at Chef Tony's. I loved the Parmesan Crusted Sole with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Summer Vegetables...delicious. The homemade cherry ice cream was delicious. The tomato heirloom salad was OK....my husband enjoyed his Fried Oyster Salad, Grilled Catfish and loved the cheesecake for dessert. It was a nice evening with an attentive wait staff and nice atmosphere - quiet and contemplative. We enjoyed ourselves using the Groupon coupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Waiter had no smiles -- not very welcoming -- service OK, however.Special Features:
- shortyVIPDined on 6/21/20142nd time here. Large menu with nice fish selection. Reasonable prices. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really dee-lishJoebobDined on 6/15/2014CT's is super for a number of reasons. First, the food is consistently great. Not good, great. The grilled Caeser Salad is mandatory; terrific crab soup, calamari, and mussels as starters. Seafood very prominent on menu....good thing! But yummy chicken dishes and veg dishes, too. Second, the service is very attentine and professional. Finally, I love a place where the chef/owner is present and stamps his/her standards on the food and service. Don't let the outside appearance deter you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafoodRal43Dined on 6/13/2014Great oysters and the rainbow trout was really goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well StuffedPeterDined on 6/13/2014Choosing this restaurant for a special meal was a terrific decision. This may become my favorite restaurant in the Bethesda area. The servers were knowledgable and their suggestions were well worth it. The food was delicious and the varied menu will encourage me to keep coming back to try other dishes. My wife loved the place as well, which for any husband is a bonus. Chef Tony was on hand ensuring that everything was perfect. I would recommend this place to anybody who loves quality food, patient servers, and a dedication to the customer's experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting better and betterIrnieVIPDined on 6/13/2014This was one of several visits to Chef Tony's. Great for fin fish seafood. The fish is always well prepared and the side dishes have been outstanding. One of our favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, as usualNightowlDined on 6/8/2014Went Sunday evening and was given a choice of seating, which I liked. The hot food was nice and hot when served, ample portions, and very tasty, as usual. Excellent selection of appetizers/entrees/desserts for the coupon we had. You can't go wrong with the coupons they offer and you can't go wrong selecting from their regular menu and from their wine list. A true neighborhood gem that we come to now and again though we have a distance to drive to get there - well worth the trip.Special Features:
- MarkHDined on 6/8/2014Great food as always! My partner is a vegetarian and Chef Tony has always catered a special creation for him. We've spent 4 special occasions dining at Chef Tony's and have never been disappointed. Thanks Chef!Special Features:
- BrunchkdfvaDined on 6/8/2014The food was interesting/okay, price reasonable, but the mix of flavors on the brunch items just didn't quite fit: crab sauce on poached egg and spinach over english muffin (I think it was the muffin); plantain didn't seem to fit with salmon and Japanese style dressing on salad. I like spicy, but the bloody mary should have been served with a couple of tums. Maybe dinner is better. Based solely on the brunch, it's a restaurant to visit occasionally if you live next door, but you'll pass better if you drive to get there.
- Great ServicecrazyaboutfoodDined on 6/8/2014My friend and I went to Chef Tony for Brunch on a Sunday. The mood was quiet and nostalgic as they played old school hits from Michael Jackson and Jackson 5. The menu was extensive, with a mix of tapas and regular entrees. We ordered the mussels, french toast, fried oysters, and crab bisque. Flavors were delicate and super fresh. Portions were just right, and, given the quality of the food, prices were reasonable. The service was excellent: The waiter was extremely engaged, friendly and conversational. Nothing particularly memorable about the look and location of the restaurant, but it is definitely worth a try just for the food and service.Special Features:
- Hidden gemBeerandfeedmeDined on 6/6/2014If you want great fresh seafood at a reasonable price you can't beat this place in Bethesda.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Chef Tony's menu was awesome and the food was delicious. Fresh, local ingredients was the key. Michael was the ultimate in a waiter. We'll definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2014I've been to chef Tony's multiple times before for dinner, which has always been outstanding. I have to say that our brunch was less impressive-- nothing beyond what you would get at any other breakfast joint. Service was outstanding but the food itself was mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I returned!!!!!!!SusanVIPDined on 5/30/2014The last meal I had here was not so great, either the food or the service I came back after 3 months and the food was fabulous and the service perfect. I had Fresh Oysters as an appetizer and a large Crabcake for my main course. It was all relish!!Special Features:
- Always great!DinnerOutDined on 5/29/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Chef Tony's! He never disappoints! Great seafood, the best calamari and great service - what more could you ask for?!Special Features:
- Pleasant and low keyfoodies4friendsDined on 5/25/2014Small fish restaurant with pleasant service, ample light, background music that allowed for easy conversation. Very tender calamari; the "tapenade" on the appetizer trio turned out to be a dish of olives, not what we expected but good olives. Attractive presentation and quite satisfactory entrees--sole, monkfish, salmon, and the penne for promise. Very full, but we made room for dessert, perhaps the best course of the night. We'll go again if we're in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Good Seafood in BethesdaClevelandRedDined on 5/24/2014Birthday dinner. Excellent ceviche, fried zucchini was good. Monkfish was cooked perfectly, the lobster sauce a little overpowering. Scallops good, crab cakes good, but moderate portion. Mashed potatoes really superior. Bread pudding a bit dry for my taste, wife (a bread pudding expert) loved it. Tiramisu great. Server knowledgable and very helpful, but a bit rushed at the end. Will definitely return there, perhaps to try brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageChatterboxx1969VIPDined on 5/23/2014Food was average. Calamari was too greasy. They ran out of a popular bourbon and charge us an up charge for ordering our cocktails in an up glass. Not cool. This was our second time at the restaurant, but we probably won't be back.
- Its an ok restAnthonyDined on 5/23/2014Food is just ok and the service quality is poor (took ages just to get our waters). The desserts are nothing spectacular, i did not even finish my cheesecake. I have an open table reservation but no one in the restaurant knew about the reservation, i suggest calling them rather than using the app to avoid frustration.Special Features:
- Great service and delicious foodcherbearVIPDined on 5/18/2014Went for my roommate's birthday. Service was excellent - always refilling our drinks and clearing plates. Food was delicious and portions were perfect or a little on the large side. We were too full for dessert but the restaurant provided a free chocolate cake for the occasion which we of course loved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We had a groupon for Chef Tony's. The seafood choices were excellent and the value of the groupon was great. I had the parmesan encrusted sole and my husband had the trout. Very good and large portions. The sin cake was out of this world. Would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood, fast servicebajaDined on 5/16/2014We enjoyed the soft shell crabs and crab cakes, and gaspachio soup (nicely spiced). Service was quick and waiter helpful and attentive. Yes will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than everMickeyDined on 5/11/2014The food at Chef Tony's is always good but they outdid themselves this time. And the staff was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceBDubDined on 5/11/2014Very responsive waiting staff. Food is served hot, fresh and full of flavor. Menu changes everyday and has a great selection of seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Happynothappy2014Dined on 5/11/2014Overall, the food was just ok, my crab cakes were not lump, I ordered filet mignon and it was tough. the service was slow and it wasn't crowded on Mother's Day, the crab soup wasn't good, no crab meat any it. I would not recommend to any of my friends.Special Features:
- Pleasant dinning for Mother's DayCookies2goDined on 5/11/2014The staff was friendly and attentive. The menu was varied enough to appeal to a variety of different appetites. I can't wait to go back to try other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers DayKMensahDined on 5/11/2014My wife is a seafood lover, so I took her and children here for lunch on Mothers Day. I was very impressed with how accommodating they were to our young children and the service was outstanding. The food was very well prepared and the drink menu was good as well. We will definitely be making a return visit.Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchouttakitchenDined on 5/11/2014All our egg dishes were outstanding and different - all fresh and sauces had a light touch. Services was attentive and helpful. Portions were plentiful- no room for dessert.Special Features:
- Terrible service!!yummyDined on 5/10/2014We had reservations at Chef Tony's but they made us wait a full hour before seating us. We actually began eating at the bar after 45 minutes, and when our table was ready, no one offered to help move our food and drinks. Then, we apparently had no waiter, so we continuously had to flag down staff to take orders, clear dishes, etc. When the bill came, they didn't even comp my husband's one drink. The appetizer (calamari) and dessert (creme bruleee) were delicious; the entrees were so-so. My penne with shrimp had some shrimp that were not completely de-shelled, so I had to pick bits of shell out of of my mouth. My husband's swordfish was overcooked. But it was the exceptionally and consistently poor service that put the nail in the coffin!
- Neighborhood GemfoodieVIPDined on 5/9/2014We love Chef Tony's. Parking's a problem so arrive early and be patient. They often have Groupons - an extra bonus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Chef Tony's!DeniseDined on 5/9/2014We went to Chef Tony's for the first time on a Friday evening and came away in agreement that we would definitely return to try other items that had tempted us. For appetizers we enjoyed the Brussels sprouts and the scallops - both were excellent and we loved the bread and olive oil with them. My entree was the out-of-this-world swordfish and my husband raved about the cod. Don't miss the Chocolate Sin Cake! The service was perfect: knowledgable, friendly, and attentive but not hovering. Our server also gave a spot-on wine recommendation. We liked the atmosphere: people having conversations in a lovely setting. All in all, I would highly recommend Chef Tony's for it's food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:
- service and staff were over the topTheRussianDined on 5/8/2014Everyone was attentive and knowledgeable. The food was outstanding. Chef Tony stopped by to say hello, great personality. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightclubBBBBDined on 5/3/2014A quiet table. A knowlegable and very helpful wait staff made for a pleasant date,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food, period.Marguerite1950Dined on 4/30/2014The delicious, fresh taste of even delicate ingredients shines through. Oysters are sweet and not briny. Salads are terrific. Crabcakes are the simplest expression of lump crab--divine. Seafood pastas are very good: Italian paella has a slight kick of spice; crab-stuffed shrimp rest on garlicky angel hair. The sate skewers of tenderloin are so tasty. The scallops are gently cooked--perfect. Desserts made by Tony's wife are wonderful, but not cloying; try the sweet potato gratin with butter pecan ice cream. Food prices are very reasonable, but wines seem a bit costly. Portions are ample. Ambiance is modest. Staff is attentive, friendly. Chef Tony came to our table; he is an engaging man, but his food is the star here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRABBDined on 4/29/2014Great quiet place with warm, quiet ambiance. Very good menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyable dinnerMeggieDined on 4/27/2014Good food. Service was spotty (short-staffed) but server was pleasant and helpful. Calamari and mussels were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but...murphyx6Dined on 4/25/2014We've eaten here several times before; each trip the food has been good. This time the service was a bit lacking. I ordered a drink that came pretty quickly but my husband just wanted water that took way too long to be delivered and then not refilled regularly. We used a groupon this time which I guess meant no bread with the meal nor were we offered any. Courses arrived in a timely fashion but the bill took a considerable amount of time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, cozy restaurantTanzaniteDined on 4/25/2014This is a nice neighborhood restaurant. The food was not spectacular, but for the price it was worth it. Great service and nice ambience.Special Features: