Chef Tony's - Bethesda
4926 St. Elmo Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Chef Tony's - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cheftonysbethesda.com/
- Phone: (301) 654-3737
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Bottomless Mimosa Brunch Menu: 11 - 3pm, Dinner Seating until 8 pm. Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm. We are closed on Mondays but available for Private Parties. We also have the availability to rent out the entire restaurant for private functions, wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners or corporate affairs. Contact Chef Tony to work out a menu and arrangements to fulfill your needs.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Tony Marciante
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Reap the benefits of 24 years experience offering catered events from the staff of Chef Tony's. Anything from a backyard barbecue to the most upscale wedding can be planned with ease and within your budget. Our catering division has over 20 years in the industry providing upscale but affordable options. Allow our Chef owner to guide you to a great menu to complement your event including the availability of a full wine and bar service to complement your event. Download a helpful checklist at http://cheftonysbethesda.com/lunch-catering-menu.html
- Entertainment: Our restaurant features occasional live events including Poetry Reading, Jazz Music, Comedy Nights as well as Morning Business Leadership Breakfast Meetings. Contact Chef Tony if you have interest in working with our restaurant to feature your meeting group or offer your live entertainment suggestion. We provide complimentary WiFi and are happy to work with you to meet your needs and budget.
- Special Events: Any kind of event we can imagine, we make it happen. When other facilities give you a book of rules, room charges and other constrictions...see Tony for a quick and easy booking process. We're in the business of hospitality and can plan an event quickly.
- Cross Street: Old Georgetown Road
- Public Transit: Easy Three block walk from Bethesda Metro station. At the top of the escalator turn left slightly and proceed to third traffic light on Old Georgetown Road. Turn right on St Elmo, we are on right hand side at 4926. Multiple public bus stops also within walking distance.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Ample parking across the street in public garage offering pay by phone (setup ahead) http://www.goparknow.com (quarters accepted and happily provided at our bar) as well as street parking available on St. Elmo. Easy front door drop off directly at our curb for guests needing special access. Wheelchair accessible from curb.
A word from Chef Tony's - Bethesda
Daily changing Market Driven menu incorporates Fresh Seafood & Locally Farmed Foods when possible into a creative blend of Mediterranean specialties. Enjoy full size Entrees, Tapas plates & creative Vegetarian/Gluten Free offerings. In house desserts daily round out your experience. In the pursuit of culinary excellence, expect the Chefs to play with flavors, textures & seasonal offerings to challenge your expectations while keeping value in mind. Five, Ten and Twenty Course Tasting Menus can be arranged as well as Special Event Services and Banquets. A full bar complements the meal and plan your weekend to include the Bottomless Mimosa Brunch every Sunday featuring Farm Stand Egg Dishes Chef Tony’s also hosts many specialty events in Bethesda including Business Mixers, Social Media Events, Rehearsal Dinners & themed dinner parties. After 24 years of procuring top quality products, Chef Tony’s is a unassuming restaurant that continues to impress local diners and travContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Chef Tony's - Bethesda - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Chef Tony's - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (92)fit for foodies (89)special occasion (58)romantic (52)good for groups (29)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (6)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- DisappointingLaurenDined on 11/18/2014I picked this restaurant after reading up on them online. Farm to table and fresh seafood was appealing. I made a reservation for myself and two colleagues coming in from California for a business meeting the next day. We travel for business quite a bit and enjoy a good meal after a long day of travel. Nevertheless we were all disappointed. The service was flat. When asked if we could sit in the back dining room rather then next to the bar we were told it's cold back there due to a door with drafts coming through. Though we saw at least 3 tables that were seated back there. The dinners came out before we finished our appetizers, so we felt rushed. The Scallops were a signature and came out room temperature. The menu said vegetables came with it but it was just julienne red & green peppers. After a long day of travel we were all very disappointed. I come from a restaurant background and would suggest they retrain their staff. There's nothing more inviting when you dine in a new restaurant then a warm welcome, that we did not receive.
- Excellent place, my fourth time there....OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/17/2014Great food, nice selection of entrees, very courteous and friendly staff. Nice ambience (great jazz in the background).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet haven on a rainy nightdelightedVIPDined on 11/16/2014We decided to go here at the last minute on a rainy Sunday night. We were seated quickly and waited on pleasantly by a friendly staff. We chose items from the a la carte menu and enjoyed mussels and soup then trout and chicken piccata. The food was hot and tasty and the price was right. We feel like we rediscovered Chef Tony's and will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodDiner51Dined on 11/9/2014We ordered the cod dinner and the Bronzino special. Both were delicious. Service was very attentive. Sunday night 50 percent off wine bottles.Special Features:
- consistintly pleasinghappyneighborDined on 11/9/2014We have been going to Chef Tony 's for many years and are always happy with the food and service. It is our favorite neighborhood spot. This trip we took a visitor from London for Sunday brunch. They tend toward the picky range ; they liked it. Thanks again Chef Tony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gemfoodloveDined on 11/8/2014Chef Tony's is one of my favorite restaurants in Bethesda. The food is consistently good and the staff is eager to please. The restaurant is small by industry standards , but you never feel overrun.Special Features:
- Dried out pastadmkrnDined on 11/7/2014Food was served cold and looked like last nights leftovers. Pasta was dry. Service was slow. Wow, just bad.
- Food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014I took my hubby here for his birthday. Food was good, but somehow I remember it being much better in the past. I had the GF pasta and salmon. My husband had the cod. He loved his dish. Mine was ok.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Find!JoeKVIPDined on 10/31/2014I must have eaten at Chef Tony's a half a dozen times in the past year. Obviously, I like it or I wouldn't keep going back, but my different dining companions have all liked it too; it's nice to take someones to a place where you are comfortable knowing that they will probably like it too. (And for Bethesda, you can easily find parking right across the street in the public lot for just a few quarters.)Special Features:
- More PraiseshortyVIPDined on 10/31/2014Always fun. Always friendly. Always great food at a fair price. We were a party of six. Started with fried calamari ( the best ). Salads tonight were tasty house and caesar with anchovy ( both fine ). Entrees were parmesan crusted sole ( love it ), seafood stew ( looked good, but I'm allergic ) and codfish with slices of sausage and a very nice sauce ( love this dish because I'm a big sauce fan ). We were all too full for dessert. As I've said on previous reviews, if you have not tried Tony's, you're missing out on one of Bethesda's best kept secrets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/29/2014Must try the fried calamari - it's the best I've ever had! Food is consistently good and menu changes frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten-free and FabulousGFDinerDined on 10/27/2014This is the 4th time we have eaten at Chef Tony's and we have had a fabulous meal every time. Every dish is made to order from fresh, local ingredients and much of the menu is gluten-free or can be made gluten-free. The servers' and Chef Tony's recommendations are always spot on and they take care to ensure that everything ordered gluten-free is served that way. My non-GF husband and friends always enjoy their meals, too.Special Features:
- Good as usualPatDancerDined on 10/26/2014Have been to Chef Tony's several times and the food has been very good (with generous servings) each time - the fried calamari is excellent. Can get noisy but not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great but...TruthTellerDined on 10/26/2014I love Chef Tony's and although I've had 2 great meals and experiences there, this last one was a bit disappointing. I went on a Sunday night and I would say that it was about 3/5 full but the waiters were running around like crazy. I've been a waiter before and have had to cover up to 5 tables - if you keep organized, it's not that hard. Maybe our waiter wasn't one of the better ones. It's the first time I've had him. My date was disappointed because they had run out of the trout before we got there so he ordered the cod. TEN minutes later, the hostess comes and lets us know that the cod has run out as well. The ceviche came in a very small serving and my cream of crab soup was cold by the time it arrived.Special Features:
- Superb, as alwaysNightowlDined on 10/26/2014We've never had a bad dish at this place. The food has always been excellent. Often the appetizer is enough to share, as it is usually generously proportioned (I say usually because it depends on what you get). I tried the Grilled Caesar Salad for the first time and I highly recommend it. It is as described - smoky but not wilted, which was a delightful surprise. If you like Romaine lettuce, be sure to give this a try.Special Features:
- DisappointinghonestopinionDined on 10/25/2014This was my (and my birthday girl friend's) first time visit, and the restaurant experience was quite disappointing! First, the hostess sat us at a table under a tiny table under a broken light bulb. It was so dark that we could not even read the menu comfortably. Second, the waiter, name is Richard, who did not tell us that we needed to "ask" for bread despite the fact that my made him aware that it was our first visit to the restaurant. Also, the waiter forgot our dessert orders and had to ask us again. Finally, when he came with the bill, I asked him, "Are we supposed to get bread?", he insincerely said "Oh, we stopped giving out the bread unless you ask because we often end up throwing them out anyway. But if you want I can give you as much as you want." Seriously, no apology??? We went there to celebrate my girl friend's belated birthday, and not only did I feel embarrassed but also felt money wasted! My girl friend even told me to just leave a penny as a tip to prove a point, but my decency did not allow that, so I did not. But, I totally should have! Someone actually gave me a bad review about the restaurant, and I should have taken that advice not to go. The actual restaurant experience DOES NOT measure up to what I saw online. I WILL NOT visit nor recommend the restaurant every again!!!Special Features:
- Extremely Reliable and Very TastyWDC1VIPDined on 10/25/2014Chef Tony's remains one of the most reliably consistent restaurants in Bethesda. The fresh ingredients are expertly prepared and presented by a very friendly and knowledgeable wait staff. As important as the food quality is the fact that cost has remained remarkably affordable. Moderate pricing combined with special offers, received by e-mail, make Chef Tony's my favorite neighborhood restaurant in the DC Metro area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/21/2014Everything was great, menu choice, food, service, prices.Special Features:
- Great seafood and serviceLibraladyVIPDined on 10/19/2014I always enjoy Chef Tony's. The service is great, and the food is even better. They offer a variety of seafood as well as other options. The food is fresh and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCEaterVIPDined on 10/18/2014The seafood selection is exquisite, and the service is superb.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceGG55Dined on 10/18/2014Chef Tony's came recommended by a friend and they right on. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable without being intrusive and the food was amazing. Definitely will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family-run seafood and tapasSusanDined on 10/18/2014Fresh seafood and tapas- plus some great options for those sho don't like seafood. Menu updated often (daily?) throughout the week to reflect fresh purchases by the chef. Don't like a side? Want a substitute? Want something not in the menu? Just ask and you shall receive:-) very accommodating staff- ask to meet the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More praiseshortyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Losing count on how many times we have been to Chef Tony's. However, each time is a delight. Great food, friendly service from all, including the Chef himself. He always takes time to greet his guests at their tables. Tonight it was grilled whole trout for my wife and boneless short ribs for me. We each had a portion to take home for another meal. My short ribs were soooooo tender and the sauce had a little zip to it , which I really liked. My server gave me a little extra sauce to take home for reheating. FYI, the best way to reheat the ribs is in the microwave. but be careful not for too long. I micro'd for about 1 minute and 10 seconds. It was plenty hot and not dried out. P.S. Try the fried oyster salad --- really good.Special Features:
- Fri Night OutMomcatDined on 10/17/2014I love Chef Tony's and wanted to introduce my friend to the wonderful cuisine. He was hesitant because we migrated out of the Bethesda area many years ago. We agreed to a Friday night out and it was the best low key birthday dinner! No problems with traffic or parking. The food (Monkfish and Catfish) was delicious and the pacing of the meal was perfect. We also appreciated attentive service while not drinking alcohol, an uncommon bonus. I highly recommend this local gem that uses locally fresh and sustainable produce and professional staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Calamari!JannaDined on 10/17/2014We used an Amazon Local coupon for our first visit here. The calamari with lemon aoli was superb -- tender, yet slightly crispy on the outside and not greasy. And you get a good amount too. My co-worker told me that she will be going back just for the crabcakes! Service was friendly but unobtrusive, decent wine list. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnMSDined on 10/11/2014Exciting menu, comfortable place, the waiter was professional and making efforts to understand our accent 😊 However, he forgot a meal. And the second lobster was uncooked and with an awful taste (ammonia). Not a good signal for crustaceans. We hope it is an accident. We may try again to verify. But the place is nice and cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greenieGreenieVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food was plentiful and overall VERY good. Would return any day!! Found the organic salmon and pickled cucumbers not to be a good fit. The juice from the cukes and vinegar invaded the salmon. Suggest trying another comboSpecial Features:
- shirleyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Service was terrible. My food was poorly cooked. No attempt to fix the problems were made by manager who was aware of the problem.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/8/2014Our server was so nice and accommodating. Food was absolutely delicious and fresh. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceEmaraldCutDined on 10/5/2014The food and the service was great would definately come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and great servicebloodymaryloverDined on 10/5/2014We love Chef Tony 's! Very cozy neighborhood restaurant. The food is great as is the bar service. The servers are very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried something newHappyDined on 10/3/2014I am very glad to that I decided to try Chef Tony's. Did not know what to expect and was very pleasantly surprised by all aspects! The food and service were great. Already have planned to go again soon. :)Special Features:
- Nogluten4meVIPDined on 9/28/2014We could eat here every night and never get tired of the food, charming and attentive wait staff or visits from Chef Tony! The perfect special occasion spot as well. Chef Tony's caters to food allergies and makes eating out gluten free a relaxing and delicious experience. A wonderful find in Bethesda!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just right!Cdb1Dined on 9/24/2014Excellent in terms of food, service, and atmosphere. A perfect laid back but special quality dinner awaits all who come here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch!KPReatsVIPDined on 9/24/2014This was my first lunch experience at Chef Tony's. I had the mussels to start, and they were very good. My wife had a salad and then for her entrée, she had the Scottish salmon. She enjoyed everything. I had the parmesan crusted sole. It was also very good and was served with mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables. I always enjoy the food here, but I do think the service could be better. The servers know what they are doing and on this occasion, Richard seemed very knowledgeable about the menu. But, I had to ask for more water, and when he came to the table, he filled my glass, but didn't top off my wife's. Why not? He also didn't stop by the table next to us to fill their glasses. Little things like that would help elevate this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable!MarieVIPDined on 9/21/2014Delicious food, excellent service, interesting wine list.Special Features:
- Continued praiseshortyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Always a good meal from a happy Chef and smiling servers. Try any of the fish entrees, e.g. - sole, trout, cod. Also, the short ribs are succulent. Salads are large and can be shared. Fried calamari is super good. The crowds keep coming, so I'm not the only one with good thoughts about Tony's place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lack of serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014Generally we have a pleasant evening at chef tony's however, Sept 18 was not particularly pleasant because of the long wait to order, to receive our dishes, and to pay the bill. There were not enough waiters for the number of diners and their attention was focused upon 2 large parties at the expense of smaller tables.Special Features:
- Eminently ReliableWDC1VIPDined on 9/17/2014It is always reassuring to know that you will experience a top quality meal accompanied by great service. Such is the case with Chef Tony's. The menu contains a very good mixture of options prepared from fresh local ingredients with superb care and attention to taste. The service is top notch, friendly and attentive without being smothering. IN Addition, Chef Tony's executes a web based customer support system is one that should be the envy of Michelin Star establishments. The best of Bethesda's neighborhood restaurants.Special Features:
- A FavoriteFreqDinerDined on 9/16/2014I am a regular at Chef Tony's. Chef Tony himself is a great guy and often says hello to the diners. The seafood is always fresh, never overcooked, and always generously portioned. The accompanying veggies and sides are the same. Prices are extremely fair for the quality. This is an intimate, white table cloth restaurant that would be 50% more expensive if downtown. Lunch is a steal - since you get the same menu at a big discount. Some non-seafood items look good as well, but I'm a seafood guy, so can't comment to much there. I take friends all the time, I suggest you try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.