Chef Tony's - Bethesda
4926 St. Elmo Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Chef Tony's - Bethesda
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cheftonysbethesda.com/
- Phone: 3016543737
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Bottomless Mimosa Brunch Menu: 11 - 3pm, Dinner Seating until 8 pm. Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm. We are closed on Mondays but available for Private Parties. We also have the availability to rent out the entire restaurant for private functions, wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners or corporate affairs. Contact Chef Tony to work out a menu and arrangements to fulfill your needs.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Tony Marciante
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Reap the benefits of 24 years experience offering catered events from the staff of Chef Tony's. Anything from a backyard barbecue to the most upscale wedding can be planned with ease and within your budget. Our catering division has over 20 years in the industry providing upscale but affordable options. Allow our Chef owner to guide you to a great menu to complement your event including the availability of a full wine and bar service to complement your event. Download a helpful checklist at http://cheftonysbethesda.com/lunch-catering-menu.html
- Entertainment: Our restaurant features occasional live events including Poetry Reading, Jazz Music, Comedy Nights as well as Morning Business Leadership Breakfast Meetings. Contact Chef Tony if you have interest in working with our restaurant to feature your meeting group or offer your live entertainment suggestion. We provide complimentary WiFi and are happy to work with you to meet your needs and budget.
- Special Events: Any kind of event we can imagine, we make it happen. When other facilities give you a book of rules, room charges and other constrictions...see Tony for a quick and easy booking process. We're in the business of hospitality and can plan an event quickly.
- Cross Street: Old Georgetown Road
- Public Transit: Easy Three block walk from Bethesda Metro station. At the top of the escalator turn left slightly and proceed to third traffic light on Old Georgetown Road. Turn right on St Elmo, we are on right hand side at 4926. Multiple public bus stops also within walking distance.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Ample parking across the street in public garage offering pay by phone (setup ahead) http://www.goparknow.com (quarters accepted and happily provided at our bar) as well as street parking available on St. Elmo. Easy front door drop off directly at our curb for guests needing special access. Wheelchair accessible from curb.
A word from Chef Tony's - Bethesda
Daily changing Market Driven menu incorporates Fresh Seafood & Locally Farmed Foods when possible into a creative blend of Mediterranean specialties. Enjoy full size Entrees, Tapas plates & creative Vegetarian/Gluten Free offerings. In house desserts daily round out your experience. In the pursuit of culinary excellence, expect the Chefs to play with flavors, textures & seasonal offerings to challenge your expectations while keeping value in mind. Five, Ten and Twenty Course Tasting Menus can be arranged as well as Special Event Services and Banquets. A full bar complements the meal and plan your weekend to include the Bottomless Mimosa Brunch every Sunday featuring Farm Stand Egg Dishes Chef Tony’s also hosts many specialty events in Bethesda including Business Mixers, Social Media Events, Rehearsal Dinners & themed dinner parties. After 24 years of procuring top quality products, Chef Tony’s is a unassuming restaurant that continues to impress local diners and travContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Tony's - Bethesda reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (91)fit for foodies (78)special occasion (58)romantic (54)good for groups (27)great for lunch (21)great for brunch (19)notable wine list (18)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Such a wonderful find!KurlyDined on 8/29/2014I am so glad we tried chef Tony after seeing Groupon deal. Even without the discount it would have been worthwhile. The food is scrumptious the portions are overflowing and the staff is friendly and helpful. This was the best grilled Caesar salad I have every tasted and I cant wait to go back. It was an extra pleasure to meet the chef himself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmilyKemilykoeDined on 8/26/2014We reserved a table for six and were pleased to find that we were located in a quiet area in the back of the restaurant. The server was friendly and attentive, and everyone enjoyed their dinners. This is a pleasant, unpretentious, mid-priced restaurant with good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Tony's - BethesdafoodloveDined on 8/23/2014This was not our first time and we continue to enjoy the food and service. This is one of my favorite restaurants in Bethesda.Special Features:
- It had been a while...KPReatsVIPDined on 8/20/2014We had not been to Chef Tony's in quite some time since we aren't in Bethesda that often. All in all we enjoyed our visit. We started with a dozen oysters. Very fresh, with a mild taste. I had the mussels appetizer and my wife had the calamari. Both were very good. We then each had a salad and for our entrees, I had the cod and my wife had the monkfish. Neither of us particularly enjoyed our entree. There was nothing wrong with it, but we just didn't find either of them to be that good. Don't know if it was a combination of the ingredients or what, but neither of us would order it again. We would definitely return, just not order those particular menu items. Service was better than average with Alex taking care of us.Special Features:
- Food Was Goodcrich113VIPDined on 8/16/2014The Food was very good. We started with the calamari, very good. My husband had the crab and shrimp stuffed cod which he thought was excellent. I had the seafood Paella and was a little disappointed that I only had 2 shrimp, 1 scallop and a little crab. I have to say there were a fair number of mussels in the dish. But the pasta was good and it was such a large helping, I had to get a doggie bag. Over all it was a good place to dine and we will return.Special Features:
- VantageVIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I had an enjoyable evening, the food was very good and we relaxed with a fine bottle of wine. Our waiter Greg was excellent. We appreciated the followup phone call the next day to check on our visit. It was our first time at Chef Tony's and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Every person at this restaurant is trying his very best to provide a great experience. Extremely polite etcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!JudyVIPDined on 8/13/2014We were pleasantly surprised how great Chef Tony's was last week! Two had the carb cake, which they said was all crab, no filler, and I had the pasta with salmon and lobster. We shared a bread pudding dessert, which was excellent. We will definitely go back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeFoodlover79Dined on 8/8/2014I went to Chef Tony's with some work friends. The menu was pretty comprehensive and we actually did the prixe-fix menu and the calamari was great! I also had the shrimp pasta which was great and the dessert was enjoyable too. I'd go back and try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreenieGreenieVIPDined on 8/5/2014So we had a Groupon for Tony's and paid $40 for it. Our waiter greeted us in a less than happy manner and this persisted throughout the evening. We had to ask for lemon twice, we waited an inordinate amount of time for our bill, he didn't bring my wife's wine with our dinner, and at the end of the dinner, he apologized that he could do better but it was an unusually busy Tuesday night. Despite all this, the food was super and the desserts were as good as any place we have ever eaten. We will come back!!! We'll give the waiter one strike and hope he is better next time.Special Features:
- Our visithappycamperDined on 8/3/2014This was the second time at Chef Tony for my husband and I, and two friends came with us. The service was not as we expected (or similar as in our prior visit)... maybe they were short staff. Our waiter was also the bartender and I got a drink with vodka (when I ordered gin) and my friend got gin when he ordered vodka - not really that bad. We had to wait long for our drinks and food; however, the food made it all worthwhile. Among ourselves we had: fried calamaris (best we had tried), mussels, oysters, trout, cod, short ribs and the salmon - all excellent. The desserts were outstanding. We definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always tasty.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014This restaurant is one of our favorites in the Bethesda/Chevy Chase area. We especially like the calamari, grilled caesar salad, cod, trout, and sole. All the deserts are delicious, especially the chocolate one, sweet potato pie, and cheesecake. Chef Tony is usually there and gives us nice recognition. Go hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good with grouponchrislumdVIPDined on 8/2/2014Good food and service. They put $40 for each person for pre-fix groupon dinner to make the total big and thus to get more tips from customers. If you are ok with this, then the deal is not bad. The other thing is the prefix menu is the same and we don't want to have the same food all the time.Special Features:
- Great Food and Prix Fix MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014Had a Living Social groupon for Prix Fix meal for 2. It was very good. The menu had a nice selection and the food was delicious. Had to wait for a little for water for refills and had to ask for napkins but everything else was good.Special Features:
- Great food/people/value!!!JAG7VIPDined on 7/31/2014While Chef Tony's used to be a "hidden gem" in Bethesda, word of mouth & repeat business, have driven it to become much more popular over the past seven years. Although the menu is not extensive, the varied options offer something for every palate and are always generous & beautifully presented. Aside from easy parking (right across the street from public lot in the less-crazed part of downtown Bethesda), one of the aspects we particularly enjoy about the restaurant are its people - from the warm greeting when you arrive, to Chef Tony himself interacting with patrons, to the follow-up phone call acknowledging your visit - the establishment is a wonderful addition to our community. If Chef Tony's were a rock and roll band, we'd be groupies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Tony called to thank us!ellencVIPDined on 7/26/2014We were initially concerned when the server that greeted us asked if we were there on a Groupon coupon…did that mean we would be seated in a less desirable table? I said we booked through Open Table and he wanted to seat us in a narrow part of the restaurant which we said we didn't want. He sat us in the back of the restaurant at a table for 2 next to the glass block. I think our server was new he seemed to be rushing us initially but once we slowed him down he was good. We shared calamari (yummy) and the cheese platter which was great. We had a lobster which was moist and so reasonable and a chopped salad…very good. Chef Tony came out which is always nice. I would definitely go back after a movie. Not a great wine list.Special Features:
- Chef Tony'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014is a gem. Unpretentious, comfortable, quiet, with an excellent wine list and terrific food. I return regularly... this time for fresh Maine lobster, prepared exquisitely, and paired with Kim's Sauvignon Blanc. A taste of paradise.Special Features:
- 2nd time here & food is still goodUStFoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014The last time we were here, the service was lacking. This time however, the waiter was more attentive. It could have been that we were not seated in the corner of the tucked away section of the restaurant. I had braised pork and my wife had fish. Both were kind of rich, but still delicious. The only disappointment was the dessert. The chocolate sin cake was "spongy". I still would recommend Chef Tony's if anyone is looking for quiet place that has great seafoodSpecial Features:
- Never had a disappointing meal!!StrathmorePlaceDined on 7/25/2014I recommend Chef Tony's unreservedly. Especially if like fish. The grilled salmon with white bean salad was wonderful. Treat yourself well and all of your friends. Great for networking lunch meetings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner for visiting friendsBobY38BethesdaDined on 7/24/2014We had a quiet table that allowed us to talk comfortably. We had very good seafood dishes and a fine bottle of Rioja. And all of it within easy walking distance of our home. What else can you ask for?Special Features:
- Great FindWDC1VIPDined on 7/22/2014I am embarrassed to say that it took me 7 years to discover Chef Tony's. I'm certainly glad I did. The restaurant's seafood offering are made from the freshest of ingredients, perfectly prepared and of very generous portions. The service was friendly and attentive and the atmosphere very comfortable as a neighborhood should be. This is the first of what will be many visits to Chef Tony'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafoodsk1952Dined on 7/22/2014Chef Tony's is a terrific neighborhood restaurant serving terrific seafood in a cozy room with excellent service. Prices are very reasonable and every dish is high quality and very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Delightful and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014We really enjoyed our Chef Tony's experience. The interior, which is unpretentious and simple, to say the least, provides a comfortable and quiet setting, highlighted by jazz over the sound system. Chef Tony himself is part of the ambiance! We started with an incredible gazpacho and a rich crab soup, then moved on to sauteed soft shells and a magnificent crab cake. The entrees were served with a melange of fresh veggies, and all of it was great. The service was excellent. My husband and I are glad to have this creative and friendly restaurant within walking distance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceSusanDined on 7/19/2014The Service is always outstanding here. I will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectations4eva21Dined on 7/16/2014The restaurant looks very ordinary from outside, but once you enter that quickly changes to extraordinary! The staff was great, food was out of this world and the service was amazing. Our server Alex was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - expensiveIMNotOrganicDined on 7/12/2014The food was really outstanding. Service was very good. But dinner for two with a bottle of one of their least expensive wines results in a bill most appropriate for special occasions. With Groupon it wasn't too bad. The place could have turned the air conditioning up a notch.Special Features:
- Another great night at Chef Tony'sPeterDined on 7/11/2014We took our son here for a great meal when he came to town for the weekend from San Francisco. As usual the service was great, they were very informative and their recommendations worked very well. We all had a great meal and will be coming back again soon. The food is great value for money. This is the third time in less than a month that we have eaten here. Each time with different companions and the food has been awesome each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great with a deal!KEArionDined on 7/9/2014Chef Tony's can be a little expensive, but it is the perfect place to go if you have a Groupon or Living Social deal! That way you can enjoy their delicious food without breaking the bank!Special Features:
- Better than everPatDancerDined on 7/6/2014Our experience here was better than the last (although it was good). A 6:00 reservation on the Sunday of a holiday weekend helped: the noise level was low (few other diners then) and we got a table for 4 for the 2 of us instead of the small tables for 2 (some rather close together). The ambiance in the back room was nondescript. The food was very good, especially the calamari, grilled Caesar salad, cheesecake and creme brulee. Our mains were good but not outstanding salmon pasta with artichokes and shrimp pasta. Our server did a fine job although a bit slow in bringing dessert; the person refilling water glasses didn't get to us until we were eating dessert. The Groupon for the 3-course dinner added to a very good experience.Special Features:
- Very nice experienceMelanieGDined on 7/3/2014We went my husband and I for a dinner for the first time because we got a coupon on Living social. We had a three course dinner for two to select among a selection of dishes. It was really good! It was different of the usualy cuisine we could get in US, I mean that it was quite fine cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful restaurant in BethesdaWilsonPlottsDined on 7/1/2014The atmosphere, food, wait staff and the menu were all amazing and wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about the restaurant. Chef Tony really delivered several amazing meals to our party of 5. Everyone was very pleased with their dinners. Sonia, Chef Tony's wife makes all the desserts and save room for them because they are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time Still As GoodPeterDined on 6/28/2014This was the second time we are at Chef Tonys this month. Food was delicious, service was excellent. We went with another couple and they also loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood in Bethesda!!!BLAKEDined on 6/27/2014Great Seafood in Bethesda!!! Will definitely come back often! Try the Crab Cakes!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedreality7Dined on 6/26/2014I don't know from what to start with my complaining about my experience with this restaurant.The service was horrible.First we were waiting for about 10 min somebody to come to take our order.Then we order the food and my bf ask for a beer,of course this guy ask for his ID but he even didn't wait and without saying something he left (without asking what drink I want).Then he came after another 5 min with beer and finally asked me what I want to drink.... After we finish our entrees we were waiting about 10 min somebody to come to pick up the plates and to take our desert order... At the end we wait 5 more min for our check, another 5 for our card back.. So we spent more than one hour and 50 min on our dinner... The worst experience ever
- Enjoyable eveningOlneyFoodieDined on 6/22/2014A very nice meal at Chef Tony's. I loved the Parmesan Crusted Sole with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Summer Vegetables...delicious. The homemade cherry ice cream was delicious. The tomato heirloom salad was OK....my husband enjoyed his Fried Oyster Salad, Grilled Catfish and loved the cheesecake for dessert. It was a nice evening with an attentive wait staff and nice atmosphere - quiet and contemplative. We enjoyed ourselves using the Groupon coupon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Waiter had no smiles -- not very welcoming -- service OK, however.Special Features:
- shortyVIPDined on 6/21/20142nd time here. Large menu with nice fish selection. Reasonable prices. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really dee-lishJoebobDined on 6/15/2014CT's is super for a number of reasons. First, the food is consistently great. Not good, great. The grilled Caeser Salad is mandatory; terrific crab soup, calamari, and mussels as starters. Seafood very prominent on menu....good thing! But yummy chicken dishes and veg dishes, too. Second, the service is very attentine and professional. Finally, I love a place where the chef/owner is present and stamps his/her standards on the food and service. Don't let the outside appearance deter you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafoodRal43Dined on 6/13/2014Great oysters and the rainbow trout was really goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well StuffedPeterDined on 6/13/2014Choosing this restaurant for a special meal was a terrific decision. This may become my favorite restaurant in the Bethesda area. The servers were knowledgable and their suggestions were well worth it. The food was delicious and the varied menu will encourage me to keep coming back to try other dishes. My wife loved the place as well, which for any husband is a bonus. Chef Tony was on hand ensuring that everything was perfect. I would recommend this place to anybody who loves quality food, patient servers, and a dedication to the customer's experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.