Chef Mike's Charcoal Grill
7102 Woodland Dr.
Indianapolis, IN 46278Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Chef Mike's Charcoal Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://chefmikescharcoalgrill.com/
- Phone: 3172959490
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mike Atherton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a full catering menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One of our featured items is the 5lb. Big Burger which serves 8 people and comes with 1 lb. of French fries. Orders off the catering menu must be placed 24 hours in advance.
- Entertainment: We have a large screen TV and 4 HDTVs for your viewing pleasure. We also have a jukebox and video games.
A word from Chef Mike's Charcoal Grill
A family restaurant featuring charcoal grilled burgers, steaks, chops, and seafood. Enjoy gourmet food while watching a sporting event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Chef Mike's Charcoal Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (4)great for lunch (4)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Everything and Everyone was Great!!GMPWestfieldDined on 9/27/2014It was a wonderful experience!! The food was excellent and everyone was friendly and acted like we were special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseac130ufcoDined on 7/5/2014Tried this because it was reasonably close to our house and it was an option for us to use a $25 certificate from being a platinum member of RCI. Nicer on the inside than you might think from the exterior. Waiter was by no means a professional, but what he lacked in serving skill he made up for in personality. Though my steak was slightly overdone (I had the T-bone) the flavor was so good it didn't bother me. My wife's filet mignon was not only large, but cooked perfectly. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful event!hafraseVIPDined on 6/24/2014A large group attended for the 5th Anniversary Wine Dinner, and had a wonderful time. The food was excellent and paired well with all of the wines offered with the dinner. It was educational and entertaining.Special Features:
- The following 102 reviews are from the Chef Mike's Charcoal Grill reviews archive.
- UnfortunateGary9113VIPDined on 5/31/2014I had the pork chops. They were very dry and had little taste. Would be better to spend a little more and get bone in chops. You would have happier customers. My wife had the New York strip. That was a sad piece of meat. She said it had zero flovor. Out watress was awesome as was the service. It is a great bar but a terrible restaurant. We won't be back.
- Mother's Day DinnercandyDined on 5/11/2014Chef Mike's is next the Interstate and a group of motels. The setting is more like a tavern than a regular restaurant. However the staff is attentive and friendly and the menu imaginative. Food was good; most items are charcoal broiled. I liked the wild rice risotto and the duck. Others enjoyed the salmon. We tried the candied brussel sprouts just for fun-not to our taste! We also sampled the warm barbecued shrimp which were provided gratis. Desserts were gooey and rich. Cost was reasonable. Mothers were presented with a red rose.Special Features:
- MediocreNotareturnerDined on 5/11/2014We made reservations for Mother's Day. Food had been out for a while. Ran out of dessert. Waiter was not very attentive to our needs.
- Mother's Day DissapointmentMom2fiDined on 5/11/2014Our reservation was an hour before the last reservable seating, yet the food at this Mothers Day brunch buffet, was luke warm at best! Multiple offerings were burnt or dry. For the $20 per adult and $10 per child, that didn't include drinks, we were very disappointed!Special Features:
- yummy buffetloreneDined on 5/11/2014we enjoyed the mother's day buffet. the roses for all mothers was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's just goodBrooksyDined on 5/11/2014The food is good, the people are nice and the place is laid-back. I wish it weren't as long of a drive as it is, but it's always worth it.Special Features:
- Great foodBiddletDined on 3/29/2014We've been to Chef Mike's many times, and it is always good. The food is outstanding, and I've never had anything there that wasn't excellently prepared and tasted good. The restaurant was busy on the night we visited (Saturday night during the NCAA tournament), and we initially had to wait about 15 minutes to get a server, but Tami finally took us, and was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodGetawayDined on 3/24/2014All the food was amazing and our waitress was very attentive and heppful.Special Features:
- slow service. overpriced food.caseyyummDined on 3/23/2014I always try to eat local. We went here and received really slow service. It appeared there was only 1 waitress for the whole place. Then there was also a hostess/busser that helped. She helped more than our waitress. I ordered the duck and my husband ordered a burger. I thought the food was way overpriced for what you received. The risotto was terrible. I liked the mandarain salad. Not sure I could tell someone go eat there.
- Reliable neighborhood restaurantCinCTVIPDined on 3/6/2014I recommend Chef Mike's, where we ate 3 times, on March 5, 6, & 7, 2014. On Friday, at 7:30pm Mike's was packed, and it was 15 minutes before a waitress was able to greet us and take our drink order. The waitstaff were overwhelmed, in part because they do their own bar tending (there is nice looking bar, but no bartender). I can recommend the pizza, the salmon and the pork. Salads and desserts were delicious. The wine list includes many local wines, but also several national and international labels. The most expensive wines were $31 for the bottle, and all wines are also sold by the glass. Many fine beers are on tap as well. Mike's is a good restaurant. Reservations are a must at popular times, but don't go then if you are in a hurry.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home Style CookingindygirlDined on 2/28/2014Nice place, and good food. Unfortunately plates and silverware could be cleaner. Not crowded, probably because of the location. Maybe Chef Mike should move from that location. If you are feeling down, not a place to go. If you want to chat in a quiet environment - its nice. Must say again - great food and service.
- It was worth the trip138CoupleDined on 2/14/2014I traveled 105 miles to have dinner there with my daughter. It was worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014Great food and great service, we really enjoyed ourselves, We will be back.Special Features:
- Chef Mike's for Valentine's DayCraigDined on 2/14/2014Excellent value for the price! We had the VD Special: chateaubriand for two, champagne, two appetizers, dessert, and a rose. All for $60 and truly tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paired DinnerhafraseVIPDined on 1/21/2014We attended a four course paired wine dinner. It was amazing. Chef Mike goes off the traditional menu and always creates something special for these events, and we were not at all disappointed by the food. It was excellent, and paired very well with the wines we tried. We will be back for the next event!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall experience/foodDebbieVIPDined on 1/18/2014As usual the food was very good. We have been there several times before but we took some new people and they also agreed the food was good. I believe they will go back again even without us.
- Excellent food...interesting peopleiheartfoodVIPDined on 12/31/2013The food is seriously top notch. The portions were also enough without being way too much, which is nice for a change. Our server did a great job. She definitely works with an eclectic group. We enjoyed listening to them go back and forth...not the most professional group by any means but seriously funny. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- Ok, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2013Nothing that is really good or bad. Just an OK place. Food is good but $12 hamburgers and $25 steaks is too high for the little ambience.Special Features:
- Nice Thanksgiving buffet!Dr7687Dined on 11/28/2013When we learned that our kids were headed to our daughter-in-law's mother's home for Thanksgiving, and that friends with whom we enjoyed the holiday in years past were headed to Maine for the holiday, My wife and I found ourselves alone. Neither of us were interested in cooking and cleaning up a big turkey feast for two, so we reserved a spot at Big Mike's Charcoal grill. It was wonderful! Great selections of holiday favorites, wonderful pies, and friendly, courteous staff! We'll go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!WestsidersDined on 11/28/2013We had dined several times, but never at a brunch. The Thanksgiving brunch was awesome! The food was very delicious! The meats and the dressing were so moist! Everything had a wonderful flavor! We enjoyed the desserts also. We will be back when there is another Thanksgiving brunch! So tastie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJWeanDined on 10/19/2013They have great custom creation food. As the name implies straight from the Charcoal grill. The grilling does add a little time to the weight for food, so be prepared. There is limited available seating for Parents with children, so make your reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY good food.ChickadeeDined on 9/28/2013It is difficult to find the entry to the small strip center that the restaurant is in. Went about 7 on Saturday night and wasn't crowded at all, which concerned me. The interior isn't fancy at all. There are several TV's for sports fans, which was great as my team was on. The hostess and waitress were sweet, welcoming, and helpful. We were there for the Northside Nights promotion and started with mushroom bruschetta. The bread was fine but not special, but the mushroom topping was excellent, clearly made fresh. I had the mandarin salad, also excellent, and dh had the soup, which he liked. We had a pork chop and a cheeseburger and again excellent. The apple cobbler was also great. Nice surprise for a little neighborhood bar kind of place.Special Features:
- Al day meetings and no food,CarlosVIPDined on 9/17/2013Al day meetings and no food, but at 10pm we found Chef Mike's! To Mike's credit, he kept the fryer and grill fired up so we could eat. Pretty much a sports bar; nothing flashy. It was just about closing time so not many people there. Burgers were excellent! and the onion rings were delicious. Definitely order the onion rings!!. We left with smile on our faces and bellys' full of good food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost AdequateDaveVIPDined on 8/22/2013Maybe had six tables occupied and service was incredibly slow. Salads were excellent, main courses were marginal to poor. Will not return.
- Good for groupsTravelerDined on 8/10/2013We had a group of 9 people coming in from different directions. The location was convenient for all of us and the food was good and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Quiet NightWandererDined on 8/2/2013Dining with my sister, we both had salads. Mine had grilled chicken which was very juicy and tender, the salad greens were fresh. The onion soup was delish! Can't wait to go back and actually enjoy something from the charcoal grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good salad; charcoal grilledOldBobVIPDined on 6/20/2013Good salad; charcoal grilled meats are very good, however what was listed as trout almondine seemed to be salmon and the dinner rolls tasted like smoke.
- Fathers day lunchmrswhiteDined on 6/16/2013Drove past it, u turn, then drive down, then behind it, to park in front of it, wheew. The staff was great, laid back, home like feeling. Liked that the food was made to order, fresh but had a little to many flavors/spices. This is a great restaurant to hang out for a bike (motorcycle night) on fridays and saturday night, girls night, game night and family night. Other than that it was normal. Large portions to share for hanging out late night is great. I would not recommend a date night at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Food was good, attended afterKathyDined on 5/12/2013Food was good, attended after they had a brunch. First words from hostess was they were tired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went in expecting moreindymexDined on 4/20/2013We went in expecting more of an upscale feel. It's just a bar with a dive bar atmosphere. Our food tasted like charcoal and was over cooked. The staff never checked to see if we needed refills and was very slow to even take our order.
- The food on the buffet wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/31/2013The food on the buffet was cold. The coffee was cold. When we ordered coffee and tea we had to ask for cream and spoons.
- We had Easter brunch at ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013We had Easter brunch at Chef Mikes. Our experience was a little mixed. The main courses and sides were very good. However, the desserts and pastries were completely disappointing. Beautiful looking cakes that were very dry and not tasty at all.
- Half old diner, half diveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2013Half old diner, half dive bar. Some of the food was pretty good, most was only ok. And very slow service, given how empty it was.
- Great food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/20/2013Great food, great service, and very accommodating.Special Features:
- The food was all outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2013The food was all outstanding, but they seemed to operate as if they didn't have a clue how to prepare food in a timely manner. Our salads arrived before our appetizers, one persons meal was served and consumed before one of the appetizers made it out. The other 3 individuals got their food about 30 minutes after the first entree was served to the table. The "soup of the day" wasn't ready at 6:30 on a Friday evening. With that said, the food was great and we enjoyed ourselves, but the entire experience just seemed unorganized.Special Features:
- Good Vanentine meal and priceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013The staff was overwhelmed for Valentine's day but the steak was very good and the waitress was very friendly but swamped and understandably slow. Complementary rose and glass of wine was nice touch. Price was nice too.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day ReviewHospitableHoosierDined on 2/14/2013We visited on Valentine's Day. The restaurant service staff was not prepared for the volume of reservations, but the kitchen was prepared. The Valentine's Day couples' menu was creative, daring and generous. Chef Mike must love food as much as we do. The Chateaubriand was tender and delicious, the asparagus nicely grilled and the potato perfectly-prepared. Foodies will overlook the lack of ambiance and visit for the Chef's food.Special Features: